Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

With the amount of walking they've done, if they level up Eevee even once on the way to Olivine, we might get an Umbreon out of this disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Internet Kraken posted:

He was 15 levels above that Gengar what did you expect?

More normal move spam. Having a good attack in slot one is lame

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, now let's see if they can stay coordinated long enough to get to the next gym.

Whichever one they choose to be next.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ghosts have been dealt with, excellent

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I guess Gold/Silver was easier? Weird.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

You say that now, but if they pulled an Abby and release Feraligatr

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Tae posted:

G/S/C are probably the easiest Pokemon games after X/Y, honestly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tae posted:

With the exception of Whitney and Red, you can basically walk over every single trainer in the game with your starter.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I want them to release the Gator so badly. It'd be so goddamned funny

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Man, this route theme brings back memories.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Singh Long posted:

Man, this route theme brings back memories.

I was going to comment on this. For some reason the music in Gen 2 really sparks the nostalgia in me more so than Gen 1 does even.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Emong posted:

G/S/C are probably the easiest Pokemon games after X/Y, honestly.

I disagree, since I don't remember any of the other games forcing me to grind for literally hours before I could even touch the Elite 4, and G/S/C even makes you do it a second time by making Red lead off with a Pokemon 30 levels higher than the highest-leveled things in the world prior to meeting him.

Besides, before I learned how to play Pokemon I always just used my starter, right up until Platinum. It's pretty easy in every game.

Buh
May 17, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

With the exception of Whitney and Red, you can basically walk over every single trainer in the game with your starter.

The random number generator stream (which is running Gold) has gotten through eight badges with nothing but Typhlosion, which is currently level 100 and knows only strength and cut.
Pretty much the only way we can irretrievably gently caress this up is to release Feraligatr.

Last game, it was theoretically possible for us to never get Fly or a Fishing Rod, surf to Cinnibar then release all our surfers. There's no equivalent this time - I think there are less truly mandatory uses of HMS, does anyone remember precisely?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Buh posted:

Last game, it was theoretically possible for us to never get Fly or a Fishing Rod, surf to Cinnibar then release all our surfers. There's no equivalent this time - I think there are less truly mandatory uses of HMS, does anyone remember precisely?

Cinnabar is still in this game and there's still nothing stopping you from releasing everything that knows Surf. :ssh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Buh posted:

The random number generator stream (which is running Gold) has gotten through eight badges with nothing but Typhlosion, which is currently level 100 and knows only strength and cut.
Pretty much the only way we can irretrievably gently caress this up is to release Feraligatr.

How can it only know Cut and Strength? Don't moves automatically get learned if there's a free spot?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Tracula posted:

I was going to comment on this. For some reason the music in Gen 2 really sparks the nostalgia in me more so than Gen 1 does even.

I personally played Gen 2 and 3 WAY more than anything else in the series, so both those regions have a lot more nostalgia for me.

And besides that, Route 38 is just the best route theme in the entire drat franchise. :swoon:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

How can it only know Cut and Strength? Don't moves automatically get learned if there's a free spot?

Move deleter.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

LAY-ZX posted:

Move deleter.

That's gonna be fun. :allears:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Baron O Beefdip posted:

That's gonna be fun. :allears:

Worst case scenario is they delete every move but Surf, resulting in a net loss of basically nothing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

LAY-ZX posted:

Worst case scenario is they delete every move but Surf, resulting in a net loss of basically nothing.

At this point that would be a gain so they couldn't use scratch on ghost types anymore.

edit - so close to an umbreon, and we're just going to interrupt it :negative:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
we need to use democracy so we can get this trill baes number

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

LAY-ZX posted:

I thought the move deleter could delete HM moves?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Baron O Beefdip posted:

They can.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Baron O Beefdip posted:

You're right.we're going to delete everything except Scratch, I guess.

Though that does raise the question of how RNGPP managed to keep exactly two moves.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

LAY-ZX posted:

Though that does raise the question of how RNGPP managed to keep exactly two moves.

Luck.

Comedy answer: because they didn't have democracy mode making GBS threads things up :colbert:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
They'd just teach it surf again if they deleted it

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

They'd just teach it surf again if they deleted it

That's boring, shush.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I don't remember if the Dragon gym gave me trouble in G/S, but in the remakes it was a bitch because I was underleveled and had no real good spot to train my Lapras.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 5, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Why do they keep spamming ASCII art of John Cleese in the chat?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't remember if the Dragon gym gave me trouble in G/S, but the remakes it was a bitch because I was underleveled and had no real good spot to train my Lapras.

The remakes make me just want to punch Claire in the face. All of Blackthorn for that matter. What a bunch of inbred shitstains.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LAY-ZX posted:

I disagree, since I don't remember any of the other games forcing me to grind for literally hours before I could even touch the Elite 4, and G/S/C even makes you do it a second time by making Red lead off with a Pokemon 30 levels higher than the highest-leveled things in the world prior to meeting him.

Besides, before I learned how to play Pokemon I always just used my starter, right up until Platinum. It's pretty easy in every game.

G/S/C and HG/SS had a really easy leveling curve...provided you had your team more or less locked in around the time you were at Ecruteak. If you gently caress with your team at all past that point you would have to regain so much experience it quickly turned into "the most horrible leveling curve ever".

This is a massive dick move considering how many really cool pokemon were later, or in the post game. It's why I really wonder why people disliked R/S/E so much.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Alkydere posted:

I really wonder why people disliked R/S/E so much.

Cuz you couldnt trade your dudes from the older games. Even though looking back R/S/E had some of the best designs
(Ludicolo Motherfucker!) everyone just wanted their Charizards and Mewtwos.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Pokemon Emerald 386 ROM is the best Pokemon game ever.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
HG/SS suffered from 2 major faults.

The first was sticking too close to the source material and being unwilling to make the sweeping changes necessary to balance the level curve.

And the second was ruining the atmosphere of the Champion's room by having the E4 music continue to play instead of going silent like it did in the originals. :v:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

It's why I really wonder why people disliked R/S/E so much.

Hope you like water types! :shepface:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Out of all the Pokemon games I've played, R/S/E had the only plot that actually hurt the experience. Team Magma/Aqua were both so dumb.

The world was cool, but surfing has always sucked a little due to how frequent encounters are. And there was a lot of surfing and diving.

Main character looked kind of stupid after the first two designs.

Started the trend of wimpy rivals.

Champion and gym leaders were completely unmemorable.

I'd buy a remake in a heartbeat, but R/S/E definitely had some issues, small or otherwise.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

LAY-ZX posted:

Hope you like water types! :shepface:

Well it's a good thing I do then. Water types are awesome and versatile. :colbert:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Actually, maybe it's just me but I wish they'd completely do away with random encounters while on water. If I wanted to be fighting Tentacools every 5 seconds, I'd be fishing. It would make it a lot more fun to explore some areas.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cernunnos posted:

HG/SS suffered from 2 major faults.

The first was sticking too close to the source material and being unwilling to make the sweeping changes necessary to balance the level curve.

And the second was ruining the atmosphere of the Champion's room by having the E4 music continue to play instead of going silent like it did in the originals. :v:

On the other hand, you can trade in anyone from the moment you get the Pokedex and you don't have to fiddle with any "national dex" post-E4 crap like FR/LG. "Huh? Golbat wants to evolve? Oh! It didn't. Nevermind." Every level until you beat the E4.

I mean, I get they were trying to maintain the spirit of the originals and not letting the new monsters taint the purity of the ~Original 151~ but that little part got kind of annoying.

My favourite thing to do in SoulSilver is start over with an egg of some different kind of monster that I like and make that my starter, since I don't really care for any of the Gen 2 starters that much. I've done runs with pseudostarters like Castform or Porygon. This latest run, inspired by the stream, was going to be with an Omanyte, but I ended up digging up a dome fossil in Platinum first, so I have a Kabuto instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

KamikazePotato posted:

Actually, maybe it's just me but I wish they'd completely do away with random encounters while on water. If I wanted to be fighting Tentacools every 5 seconds, I'd be fishing. It would make it a lot more fun to explore some areas.

Or make Repel a post-game HM-type move instead of a consumable.

• Locked thread