Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Grin and Tonic posted:

The cadillac commercial just makes me pissed off to live in the united states cause i'm certainly not seeing what's so great about NOT having the entire month of august off or having 2 hour lunch breaks at the cafe and instead working until you die of a heart attack

Just saw it for the first time. My wife was absolutely disgusted. I was angry at people who actually think that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I saw this last night while Almost Human was on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJZm5YBCL0

:stare:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaunab posted:

It's sad that the closest thing to a mascot sonic has is two guys trying to be funny in a car. Also that people are so uninterested in teaching that there are commercials trying to recruit teachers.

Maybe if they stopped treating teachers like poo poo they'd get more teachers.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The commercial with the guy giving his dad a condom is creepy as poo poo. Not just because of the subject matter but also because of the look on the son's face when he's slipping the condom into his dad's pocket.

Maybe that's how the son gets off. Its a pretty creepy family.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Just saw it for the first time. My wife was absolutely disgusted. I was angry at people who actually think that way.

Why? Why are you angry that there are really driven people in this country?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gonz posted:

Yeah, I've seen this one like twice. In the grand scheme of Anti-Smoking ads, they tend to have either the "Let's scare people to stop smoking." and "Lets gross people out to stop smoking." and this commercial mixes both with general uneasiness.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, I've seen this one like twice. In the grand scheme of Anti-Smoking ads, they tend to have either the "Let's scare people to stop smoking." and "Lets gross people out to stop smoking." and this commercial mixes both with general uneasiness.

Don't forget the dash of "appeal to vanity".

"Don't do drugs because they'll make you into a total uggo with bad teeth and skin! You don't want to look ugly do you teenage girl this ad is directed at?""

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, it's probably best to target young people who haven't started smoking yet with things that might get them to reconsider (long-term health effects probably aren't the ticket), because people who already smoke know it's loving bad for them for thousands of different reasons. That's if there's a compelling reason to have anti-smoking ads on TV at all -- the cigarette companies are probably laughing all the way to the bank, because every time you see one on TV, you think about smoking. Not to mention I think the negative effects of smoking have already been publicized very effectively.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXEbohjrx9Q

This is the best local commercial.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

Gross but I did meet a woman once that looked like she was in her 50s but was only 35 and she was a pack a day smoker. So at least they're not lying.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I saw the most hilarious product placement ever. I don't watch Revolution (it was on when I turned on the TV), so if there's actually context to this, let me know.

Guy is watching TV. Commercial comes on for Bud Light. "When was the last time YOU had a Bud Light?" Guy's eyes light up. "That's a really good question." He goes to the fridge and wonder of wonders, there are two Bud Lights! He cracks one open, takes a big gulp and says "That...was EXCELLENT."

I laughed like crazy. That was even better than the awkward sales pitches for Toyota that get shoehorned into normal conversations on Bones.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Honestly, it's probably best to target young people who haven't started smoking yet with things that might get them to reconsider (long-term health effects probably aren't the ticket), because people who already smoke know it's loving bad for them for thousands of different reasons. That's if there's a compelling reason to have anti-smoking ads on TV at all -- the cigarette companies are probably laughing all the way to the bank, because every time you see one on TV, you think about smoking. Not to mention I think the negative effects of smoking have already been publicized very effectively.

I dunno, I remember an NPR article the other day where they polled people about E-cigs and people thought that they were not only not bad for you, they were explicitly good for you as well.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

I dunno, I remember an NPR article the other day where they polled people about E-cigs and people thought that they were not only not bad for you, they were explicitly good for you as well.

Well, stimulants can certainly be good for you in some circumstances and if said stimulant isn't delivered with a bunch of tar and burning materials then maybe its potential health effects can be a net positive.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

computer parts posted:

BUT IT'S VAPOR!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Gonz posted:

Like the fifth time I saw this ad, I immediately thought "drat, that would suck if she was buying for someone else."

So yeah, everytime I see this ad now, all I can think of is her going back to one of her friends, handing over the smokes and saying "You owe me."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I saw the most hilarious product placement ever. I don't watch Revolution (it was on when I turned on the TV), so if there's actually context to this, let me know.

Guy is watching TV. Commercial comes on for Bud Light. "When was the last time YOU had a Bud Light?" Guy's eyes light up. "That's a really good question." He goes to the fridge and wonder of wonders, there are two Bud Lights! He cracks one open, takes a big gulp and says "That...was EXCELLENT."

Wait...isn't Revolution that show where there's no more electricity?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Revolution is pure, 100% uncut JJ Abrams. Don't expect anything to make sense.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sash! posted:

Why? Why are you angry that there are really driven people in this country?

Nothing against driven people. But what gives them that drive? Is it to achieve a legacy? Is it so they can accumulate stuff? Do they want to help people?

I may have glossed over the details of the commercial, but I thought he said "why do we do it? For all these great things."

What does anything matter in the end, but working hard to buy fancy things is empty for me. Give me a month off to travel to Asia or work on a grand project in my garage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

StormDrain posted:

Nothing against driven people. But what gives them that drive? Is it to achieve a legacy? Is it so they can accumulate stuff? Do they want to help people?

I may have glossed over the details of the commercial, but I thought he said "why do we do it? For all these great things."

What does anything matter in the end, but working hard to buy fancy things is empty for me. Give me a month off to travel to Asia or work on a grand project in my garage.

I think he was joking there.
At least I hope he was.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Some people have devices that restore technlogy they use.

It doesn't make that much more sense in context.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Why the hell are M&Ms doing ads with Geico :psyduck:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I know most car ads are dumb but the new Hyundai commercial with John Galecki in it doesn't even kind of make sense. Are they supposed to be on a movie set or something?

"Nice acceleration"
"Nice detonation"

I...huh...what? Did the ad agency come up with this concept at 4:30 on a Friday?

EDIT: I didn't realize that was a Superbowl commercial - I must have been on a bathroom break or beer run when it came on. Somehow that makes it seem even worse.

letthereberock fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It was a Superbowl commercial, so it needed something whacky and eye grabbing. When I made that post about how awful completely uninteresting Superbowl commercials were this year I was literally thinking of that exact commercial

e: so to answer your question they spent literally millions of dollars on that commercial and probably several months brainstorming it. And they managed to come up with that

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vicas posted:

It was a Superbowl commercial, so it needed something whacky and eye grabbing. When I made that post about how awful completely uninteresting Superbowl commercials were this year I was literally thinking of that exact commercial

e: so to answer your question they spent literally millions of dollars on that commercial and probably several months brainstorming it. And they managed to come up with that

At least Jeff Lynne gets a paycheck.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Why do people/parties run attack ads on their opponents? Everyone I know, conservative to liberal, hates them and thinks (rightly) that it makes the finger-pointing party look like a two year old. It's just loving embarrassing for everyone involved. I've had friends from other countries come over during elections time here in Canada and find the juvenile attack ads hysterical.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Suzuki Method posted:

Why do people/parties run attack ads on their opponents? Everyone I know, conservative to liberal, hates them and thinks (rightly) that it makes the finger-pointing party look like a two year old. It's just loving embarrassing for everyone involved. I've had friends from other countries come over during elections time here in Canada and find the juvenile attack ads hysterical.

I think I read something a while back that there was some research that they actually work. As you say, most people find them laughable and repugnant, but they worm your way into your subconscious and end up making the party being smeared look negative, even if you find the attempt moronic.

That, and it's just a game of one-upsmanship. If one party runs attack ads, the other party basically has to as well. Another subconscious effect is that someone who doesn't respond to attack ads with their own attack ads looks weak by comparison.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Suzuki Method posted:

Because for every one person you know who hates them, there are probably 100 who see those and say "yes, as a reactionary person who likes to vote but doesn't like to do any research or pay attention to politics I find this informative."

It reminds me of what a teacher told me once in high school about how some kid won the race for class president merely by passing around pencils with his name on them. For most people, what you stand for and what you intend to accomplish doesn't matter even remotely as much as what banner you run under and establishing "ME GOOD THEM BAD."

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

Because for every one person you know who hates them, there are probably 100 who see those and say "yes, as a reactionary person who likes to vote but doesn't like to do any research or pay attention to politics I find this informative."

They also depress turnout among people who were going to vote for the target, apparently.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also bullets are unreliable now? Its either based on or influenced by Dies the Fire, which is slightly more stupid because they go right to crossbows and cannibalism. Its like people forget A)that for a long time we had a semi-okay but certainly not apocalyptic society before electricity was widely used and B) Something that suppresses the electricity in your computer but not the electricity in your nervous system is fuckdiculous.

Not to get all steampunk up in this bitch, but steam power is pretty loving amazing if magic aliens dick with fundamental physics in your quadrant. Trains and boats and pneumatic military rifles and steam tractors and monocles for all citizens of Steamtopia.

Content:
This loving thing.

I'm not pointing this one out for being about reverse mortgages, even though they're deceptive poo poo-heel ads for what is essentially a scam. No, what pisses me off every time is that Fred Thompson acts like a cock to the newstand guy, Jesse. Fred is just walking by, and he shouts, "RIGHT, JESSE?!?!" as he throws money at his face! If I'm working a register and someone throws money at me, they can pick that poo poo up, the rude gently caress.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Also bullets are unreliable now? Its either based on or influenced by Dies the Fire, which is slightly more stupid because they go right to crossbows and cannibalism. Its like people forget A)that for a long time we had a semi-okay but certainly not apocalyptic society before electricity was widely used and B) Something that suppresses the electricity in your computer but not the electricity in your nervous system is fuckdiculous.

The explanation given later on in the show makes it even dumber nanomachines, son!

Also there's an evil black shadow president so you know exactly the kind of demographic the show's pandering to.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

quote:

Debut Criminal Defense Commercial from Pittsburgh's Criminal Defense Rookie of the Year.

I am ready to take on any case for any client. I do not stop fighting and I do not stop being creative.

I am crazy like a fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfACTAOPa0

And an interview with him...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...commercial.html

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

The explanation given later on in the show makes it even dumber nanomachines, son!

Also there's an evil black shadow president so you know exactly the kind of demographic the show's pandering to.

wait that's literally a plot point?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

wait that's literally a plot point?

Yes, both are completely true.

Did I mention it's a really, really dumb show?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

J.J. Abrams fans?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

DJExile posted:

Why the hell are M&Ms doing ads with Geico :psyduck:

It's kind of like the Helzberg Diamonds tie-in where GEICO and Helzberg are both owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire owns some undisclosed portion of Mars Inc, the company that makes M&Ms.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

I think he was joking there.
At least I hope he was.

Nope, I'm serious.

I'd go insane taking a month straight off. I'd rather get five weeks spread out throughout the year (which is pretty much what I already have).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I only watched the first 3-4 episodes when it started before I couldn't take anymore, but I thought the bad guy leader was the guy who played The Cape?

Sash! posted:

Nope, I'm serious.

I'd go insane taking a month straight off. I'd rather get five weeks spread out throughout the year (which is pretty much what I already have).

You honestly think that's the point they were trying to make in the commercial?

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 9, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I only watched the first 3-4 episodes when it started before I couldn't take anymore, but I thought the bad guy leader was the guy who played The Cape?

He's not the main villain. In fact season two arbitrarily makes him a good guy. The real villains are the remains of the U.S. Government who supposedly planned the whole apocalypse, lead by Not-Obama.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
The "King" commercials are getting on my nerves. They make one app that does really well (Candy Crush Saga), develop a new game that uses the same formula (Pet Rescue Saga / Farm Rescue Saga), and advertise it on TV, only to make more money to develop new games using the same formula (Annoying TV Commercial Saga, Anal Salad Bar Saga, Bird poo poo Saga). It's a cycle that won't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

trunkwontopen posted:

The "King" commercials are getting on my nerves. They make one app that does really well (Candy Crush Saga), develop a new game that uses the same formula (Pet Rescue Saga / Farm Rescue Saga), and advertise it on TV, only to make more money to develop new games using the same formula (Annoying TV Commercial Saga, Anal Salad Bar Saga, Bird poo poo Saga). It's a cycle that won't stop.

I already hate those commercials for that reason, but it also helps they are a very greedy company who tried to copyright the word candy and used anyone who used the word "Candy" or "Saga" on itunes, including Banner Saga, a fantasy strategy game.