Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

The Berzerker posted:

My 360 is serving me fine and with my giant backlog plus South Park and Dark Souls II in the next couple of weeks, I can pretty much ignore the new consoles until at least 2015.

This is pretty much happening with me as well, but I haven't yet bought a new console. Until cross-generation games obviously favor the new generation and/or certain titles just don't get released on the old generation then I am happy with my 360. I didn't get a 360 until I bought the PS2 version of Mercenaries 2 and given how super super lovely it was I knew it was time to upgrade. The 360 version was still bad just, you know, less bad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
I will tollerate no badmouthing of Mercs 2. What other game do you see ships rise into the air and pinwheel for a minute before rocketing off into the Sun for no reason?

Bonus points for my objective being onboard the now orbiting boat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirty Karma posted:

I will tollerate no badmouthing of Mercs 2. What other game do you see ships rise into the air and pinwheel for a minute before rocketing off into the Sun for no reason?

Bonus points for my objective being onboard the now orbiting boat.

ITS THE MERCENARY GET HIM.

*shoots rocket into wall at point blank range, demolishing the entire building and killing himself and everyone inside*

And that is why I never got a full deck with everyone alive, the A.I was just dumb as poo poo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Getting a full deck with everyone alive on Mercs 1 was one of my most satisfying gaming moments from my youth. I loved the poo poo out of that game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mercs 2 is a massively stupid game that's kinda broken but I love the poo poo out of it. Although really, Just Cause 2 was more or less the same thing but done way, way better.

Also this one video makes up for every shortcoming of Mercs 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deTCsc28_Y4

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mercenaries 2: Hope you like smoke grenades!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, a random assortment of stuff for the Deal of the Week.

Assassin's Creed IV - 33% off
CoD: Ghosts - 33% off
Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD - 50% off
Bang Bang - 50% off
Galaga Legions DX - 50% off
I Am Alive - 75% off
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - 75% off
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - 75% off

So if anyone doesn't already have Scott Pilgrim... might grab Galaga Legions DX myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great and 75% off is a steal for it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KennyMan666 posted:

CoD: Ghosts - 33% off

This is like the 3rd time that game has gone on sale, isn't it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

univbee posted:

This is like the 3rd time that game has gone on sale, isn't it?
'Sale' in this case meaning 'marginally reduced in price to that of most retail stores' (at least in the UK)

Same as GTA V going on sale and ending up about £30, which it is, like, everywhere.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 4, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Checking Major Nelson, I saw that Ghosts Digital Hardened Edition was on sale on the One XBL Deals this week.

Discounted... by 10%.

Why do they even bother?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Every time I turn on my 360 I get a big ad that says Black Ops 2's season pass is 50% off.

I mean.... Seems a little late.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If you have even a passing interest in westerns, pick up Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Great game, unbeatable value at that price. I paid full for it an got more than my money's worth.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I got a feeling to play some basketball recently, and went to NBA2K13, the basketball video game that I own. Much to my disappointment, the game is almost unplayable! Everything's fine once in a game, sure, but when in the menus, the game often connects to the 2K servers for whatever reasons, and these connections take forever. I don't know if it's my internet (was fine before and with other games) or because 2K has of course moved on from last year's game.

So I went looking for older sports games, NBA 2K11 in particular. With how little sports games get discussed here I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know if 2K11 "calls home" like the current games? The possibility of just having the offline modes, along with the Jordan stuff and a really low price make it pretty attractive otherwise.

Also, if anyone wants to highlight any notable sports games from this generation, I'd like to hear it!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

goethe gear xx posted:

I got a feeling to play some basketball recently, and went to NBA2K13, the basketball video game that I own. Much to my disappointment, the game is almost unplayable! Everything's fine once in a game, sure, but when in the menus, the game often connects to the 2K servers for whatever reasons, and these connections take forever. I don't know if it's my internet (was fine before and with other games) or because 2K has of course moved on from last year's game.

So I went looking for older sports games, NBA 2K11 in particular. With how little sports games get discussed here I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know if 2K11 "calls home" like the current games? The possibility of just having the offline modes, along with the Jordan stuff and a really low price make it pretty attractive otherwise.

Sorry to be vague, but there are options in the menu to eventually get rid of this in 2k13. I had to do some internet searching to find the cure.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I kinda doubt it after some looking, but is there a cable out there that I can plug into the HDMI outlet of my TV and the regular outlet of the older 360 that doesn't come with an hdmi outlet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Paperback Writer posted:

I kinda doubt it after some looking, but is there a cable out there that I can plug into the HDMI outlet of my TV and the regular outlet of the older 360 that doesn't come with an hdmi outlet?

You need a converter in the middle, because your 360's output is analog and HDMI is digital.

I assume the Madcatz cable mentioned below has the converter built into it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paperback Writer posted:

Yes.Madkatz made one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madcatz-Xbox-360-HDMI-conversion-kit-4744-nice-and-great-price-/331144052713

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So, South Park seems to be reviewing quite well. I'll probably pick it up, but not yet, I've got Dark Souls 2 coming next week....

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't seen a review that's said it's a good game yet. I've seen a lot of ones that say it's extremely faithful to the art style and humor of the show though, for all that's worth.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm playing it right now and it rules. Its basically paper mario/mario RPG, meaning its turn based combat with HP/MP etc but gets you more involved with timed hits and tapping the buttons the right time to inflict maxmimum damage or defend properly. There's a lot of status effects that make things tricky. I'm having a great time with it, and the dialogue and humor is great.

Surprisingly I haven't hit any game breaking bugs like I expected in true obsidian fashion, but I am guessing I just jinxed myself. :tinfoil:

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you have even a passing interest in westerns, pick up Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Great game, unbeatable value at that price. I paid full for it an got more than my money's worth.

I was surprised by how good this game was. The shooting is really satisfying and the story is actually well done.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gunslinger is, if not GOTY for 2013, at least the best edutainment title in years.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm playing it right now and it rules. Its basically paper mario/mario RPG, meaning its turn based combat with HP/MP etc but gets you more involved with timed hits and tapping the buttons the right time to inflict maxmimum damage or defend properly. There's a lot of status effects that make things tricky. I'm having a great time with it, and the dialogue and humor is great.

Oh wow I actually really liked that about those games (and the Mario/Luigi games on DS etc...) maybe I'll pick it up down the line. Thanks for that I never even would have bothered with it since I havnt cared about South Park in a decade.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'm wondering if anyone has tried purchasing US games through Xbox Live and successfully played them in Australia (or other regions). In particular I'm wondering about the South Park game since the Australian copy is censored and I'd rather get the whole thing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gnack posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried purchasing US games through Xbox Live and successfully played them in Australia (or other regions). In particular I'm wondering about the South Park game since the Australian copy is censored and I'd rather get the whole thing.

I have experience of this, and I can tell you it won't work. I'm in Hong Kong, and wanted to buy Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. For some reason it was no longer listed on the local store, but it was still on the servers. A goon gave me the link to the US store and I bought it from there, but it downloaded from my local region servers.

When I tried to buy XBLIG games, or GTA San Andreas, both unavailable in my region, it failed because the payment is ultimately linked to local region content. If you were to buy the US version, you'd only be enabling a link to the local Aussie version. It sucks, but that's how their system works.

You can of course, buy a US disc copy of the game which should work just fine unless it is one of the very rare region locked titles.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Parkingtigers posted:

I have experience of this, and I can tell you it won't work. I'm in Hong Kong, and wanted to buy Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. For some reason it was no longer listed on the local store, but it was still on the servers. A goon gave me the link to the US store and I bought it from there, but it downloaded from my local region servers.

When I tried to buy XBLIG games, or GTA San Andreas, both unavailable in my region, it failed because the payment is ultimately linked to local region content. If you were to buy the US version, you'd only be enabling a link to the local Aussie version. It sucks, but that's how their system works.

You can of course, buy a US disc copy of the game which should work just fine unless it is one of the very rare region locked titles.

Ah k, well that does help to answer the question thanks for that. I guess all that remains now is to suss out whether it's one of those rare region locked titles!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It isn't region locked.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Nibbles141 posted:

It isn't region locked.

Do you have a source for this? I can't find a clear answer either way, and I don't want to go to the hassle and expense of importing a copy if it doesn't work.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Gnack posted:

I did exactly this with ssx, worked fine but I made sure it wasn't region locked first.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Parkingtigers posted:

Though the end result might be the same for the Aussie goon, I don't think this is strictly true. I have a US Xbox in Japan and buy GoD, XBLA, XBLIG with some regularity. At least a couple (if not all) of those GoD were definitely the US versions, as certain Japanese equivalents weren't in English. Likewise for all of the XBLIG, which aren't available in Japan. If I try to purchase a game via my Japanese account that happens to be region-blocked, the system refuses to complete the purchase (thankfully, I don't want to pay for a game I can't play). However, there are also instances of region-free games that are IP-blocked as well for whatever reason. I couldn't download Duke Nukem for this reason, even though I'm using an Xbox from the same region (however not the same IP range obviously).

If South Park is region-free AND it happens to not be IP-blocked for Australia, there's no reason it shouldn't work. There's a forum somewhere where dudes compile sales from various Xbox regions around the world and pick up cheap, region-free games that are in a local currency that favors the US, the UK, or what-have-you. However, due to the censorship issue I would imagine it's probably IP-blocked and you won't even be able to complete the purchase.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, I think it's a lottery over what is geo-checked and what isn't. You'd probably have to wait a few weeks until someone discovers its status.

Gnack posted:

Do you have a source for this? I can't find a clear answer either way, and I don't want to go to the hassle and expense of importing a copy if it doesn't work.

Looked it up on Play Asia. They list the versions and whether or not they are region locked. Been awhile since I've bought from overseas, so not sure if they're still the best deal.

I think it's only US and maybe Asian copies you have to worry about region locking. PAL versions should be ok. I think New Zealand is the closest place to order from to dodge censored copies.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 5, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gnack posted:

Isn't Australia the same region as UK? Can't you import the disc from here?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Every couple of days or so, when I turn my 360 on it'll load up without signing my default profile in. When I manually sign in and choose to connect to live, I get this window that pops up asking for alternate ways to verify my account, i.e e-mail, phone number, and I think another option I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm cool with just having an alternate e-mail on there, but it won't let that be the only information I give it (it moves right on to the phone option and there's no way to tell it "I don't want this"), so I end up backing out of the whole thing and having to deal with it again the next time it pops up. Is there a way to prevent this from happening outside of filling in the rest of the info?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Vanrushal posted:

Every couple of days or so, when I turn my 360 on it'll load up without signing my default profile in. When I manually sign in and choose to connect to live, I get this window that pops up asking for alternate ways to verify my account, i.e e-mail, phone number, and I think another option I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm cool with just having an alternate e-mail on there, but it won't let that be the only information I give it (it moves right on to the phone option and there's no way to tell it "I don't want this"), so I end up backing out of the whole thing and having to deal with it again the next time it pops up. Is there a way to prevent this from happening outside of filling in the rest of the info?

I filled out the information once.

It still pops up.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

From memory there's a box you check after doing it saying don't ask me again. Failing that if you go to settings -> Profile -> Account Security you should be able to do it there.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Nibbles141 posted:

Yeah, I think it's a lottery over what is geo-checked and what isn't. You'd probably have to wait a few weeks until someone discovers its status.

Looked it up on Play Asia. They list the versions and whether or not they are region locked. Been awhile since I've bought from overseas, so not sure if they're still the best deal.

I think it's only US and maybe Asian copies you have to worry about region locking. PAL versions should be ok. I think New Zealand is the closest place to order from to dodge censored copies.

I might be reading it wrong (Play Asia's UI is confusing as heck), but it looks like Play Asia isn't saying anything definitive about the region locking for the US version: http://www.play-asia.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-paOS-13-49-en-70-4i53.html

The "Asian" version isn't region locked, but I'm not sure whether that's censored or not. This is one thing that's really pissing me off, there's no way for the consumer to know from the packaging whether they're purchasing a censored or uncensored version.

I notice the Asian one seems to have the Australian R18+ rating on it though, so I'm betting its censored.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 6, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Randomly, two of the best games that should be in everybody's 360 backlog- Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain have been going dirt cheap (~$3-4) on Steam lately. They're basically free for consoles if you can find them in the used bin or Amazon, but it's another options.

The Duke posted:

Getting a full deck with everyone alive on Mercs 1 was one of my most satisfying gaming moments from my youth. I loved the poo poo out of that game.

Mercs 1 was easily one of the best sandbox games I've ever played, just a total riot from beginning to end, and the more equipment you unlock the better it gets. Always play as Peter Stormare (The Swede).

Just Cause 2 was almost fun, except you can be killed way too easily by bad guys that can follow you too far requiring a lot of crappy escape waiting, and you can never escape the feeling that the game is horrifically racist thanks to the godawful voice acting.

SLOTH DEMON!? WELL GOOLLLLEEEEEE!!!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is a pretty good review on South Park http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-review-multi-platfor.html but it also basically comes up to "If you like the show, you'll like it. If you don't like the show, you probably won't like it. Obsidian did a great job though"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

revdrkevind posted:

Just Cause 2 was almost fun, except you can be killed way too easily by bad guys that can follow you too far requiring a lot of crappy escape waiting, and you can never escape the feeling that the game is horrifically racist thanks to the godawful voice acting.

This was the one problem with the game. I hope when they get around to making Just Cause 3, taking out military installations will actually help with this and whatnot.

• Locked thread