Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Are the PSP God of War and Tomb Raider games decent by today's standards? I never got to play either when I had a PSP and thought they looked fun but I dunno how true that actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Are the PSP God of War and Tomb Raider games decent by today's standards? I never got to play either when I had a PSP and thought they looked fun but I dunno how true that actually is.

Chains of Olympus does just feel like a scaled down God of war 2 but the story is pretty nice and probably shows Kratos at his most sympathetic and human. Ghost Of Sparta was excellent and measures up to the original in my opinion.

If you enjoyed the rest of the series there's no reason you'll dislike these, they didn't reinvent the wheel but they're good for a few more hours of angry spartan murdering.

The PS3 ports are excellent too, I think a lot was re-rendered so it looks good on the big screen.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

precision posted:

So far I've played about 2 hours of Tomb Raider and 90% of that time has been hunting wildlife to extinction to get XP. It's also probably the prettiest menu screens ever made. I kinda feel bad about getting it for free, really, but then again I bought Deus Ex at full price and FF13-2 on sale so I think I've put in my due diligence with S-E.

How are the controls on TR? Uncharted-ish? I downloaded last night after it went up so I'm looking forward to it later today.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Which of those Need For Speed games is the one where you teleport into different cars by like spirit-jumping between different drivers? That always sounded fun to me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Minidust posted:

Which of those Need For Speed games is the one where you teleport into different cars by like spirit-jumping between different drivers? That always sounded fun to me.

That was Driver: San Francisco, otherwise known as Driver: Ghost Coma.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Driver San Francisco.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

Driver: San Francisco is extremely fun and light-hearted, but its few last mandatory missions are some serious bullshit and make it yet another Driver game I won't actually finish. It's a very fine game otherwise, especially after you learn that in order to finish a race you can just hop into other cars and ram other participants, which is never not hilarious. The AI for NPC drivers is also hilariously dumb and parking in a middle of a road and observing how the NPCs react is great for a quick laugh.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hahah, whoops. I'll keep an eye out for a Driver sale then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Szurumbur posted:

Driver: San Francisco is extremely fun and light-hearted, but its few last mandatory missions are some serious bullshit and make it yet another Driver game I won't actually finish. It's a very fine game otherwise, especially after you learn that in order to finish a race you can just hop into other cars and ram other participants, which is never not hilarious. The AI for NPC drivers is also hilariously dumb and parking in a middle of a road and observing how the NPCs react is great for a quick laugh.

It's nowhere near as bad as the last mission for the original PS1 Driver, holy gently caress that was some bullshit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

How are the controls on TR? Uncharted-ish? I downloaded last night after it went up so I'm looking forward to it later today.

Somewhat better than Uncharted so far, less "loose" feeling. It also feels like you have better control for Lara when it comes to jumping. I just got a gun not long ago and that's standard L1/R1 stuff, the bow is actually pretty nice to use.

It's a beautiful game and really shits on Lara's image/fandom in a good way. I mean the entire intro is the player getting literally hit over the head, and then a 20 minute visual metaphor for giving birth to a "new" Lara Croft as she escapes from a creepy weird man, ending in her emerging from a "birth canal" covered in blood. It's kind of pretentious but in a way that made me appreciate it anyway.

Then again I only ever played like 20 minutes of the first Tomb Raider before putting the series down forever (until GoL was free for PS+, and I seem to remember that was a fun, inoffensive little game).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Then again I only ever played like 20 minutes of the first Tomb Raider before putting the series down forever (until GoL was free for PS+, and I seem to remember that was a fun, inoffensive little game).

Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is a complete remake of the original game is actually pretty good, especially if you're more interested in the platforming side than the shooting dudes bit. That was the only thing that dragged down the new one for me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It's a beautiful game and really shits on Lara's image/fandom in a good way. I mean the entire intro is the player getting literally hit over the head, and then a 20 minute visual metaphor for giving birth to a "new" Lara Croft as she escapes from a creepy weird man, ending in her emerging from a "birth canal" covered in blood. It's kind of pretentious but in a way that made me appreciate it anyway.

Holy poo poo. I never thought of it that way and that's spot on.

precision posted:

The Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders are all worth playing to varying degrees in my opinion. They really turned the series around in a major way really fast. You can also get all of the games they made in a trilogy collection which I think you can also get pretty dang cheap these days.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When is the EU side of things likely to update?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When is the EU side of things likely to update?

IT ALREADY HAS MOTHAFUCKAS!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's nowhere near as bad as the last mission for the original PS1 Driver, holy gently caress that was some bullshit.

I agree, in this game I can at least see myself potentially finishing the game, but after trying to finish the last of the plot-unlocking missions for a few hours (particularly the "find the cars and drive them to the lorries in time" one) I decided not to bother - I have enough cars unlocked to drive in whatever type of vehicle I desire, so I'm content.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

Tomb Raider takes a handful of scenes from The Descent, this one is the first. It's almost egregious how closely the two match up.

Good movie, though. Avoid the sequel.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked Driver 1 just because I couldn't believe anyone playtested it. The very first task was passing a driving test that I'm fairly sure the vast majority of players were unable to beat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ape Agitator posted:

I liked Driver 1 just because I couldn't believe anyone playtested it. The very first task was passing a driving test that I'm fairly sure the vast majority of players were unable to beat.

Don't they actually recreate the same test in driver:SF?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

Tomb Raider takes a handful of scenes from The Descent, this one is the first. It's almost egregious how closely the two match up.

Good movie, though. Avoid the sequel.

Good call, I didn't make that connection but it's pretty accurate.

I don't remember anything about Descent 2 except thinking "this is literally the same movie as the first one, but worse".

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

gently caress yes, Tokyo Jungle is on sale on EU PSN. I've been waiting for this ever since I got my PS3 half a year ago.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I meant to buy a year of PS+ but Auto Renewal bought me another month without me knowing. If I buy a year of PS+, will that stack on top of the time I already have or should I wait until it runs out again?

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Red Suit posted:

I meant to buy a year of PS+ but Auto Renewal bought me another month without me knowing. If I buy a year of PS+, will that stack on top of the time I already have or should I wait until it runs out again?

It will stack.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you, sir!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zen sex robot posted:

Is there any way to tell when your PS+ subscription is due to be renewed?

The easiest way is to go to your purchase history in the webstore, find the most recent PS+ item there and check the date it says it expires.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

zen sex robot posted:

Is there any way to tell when your PS+ subscription is due to be renewed?

Services list (on a console, anyway; it's buried in with goddamn everything on the Web Account Site's list). It'll be in the same bit of menus with Download List.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Although both are on sale for the same price, Need for Speed Most Wanted PS3 isn't crossbuy for the Vita version. Wasn't suggested that it was in the update and I wasn't hinging my purchase on it. Just thought I'd say in case anyone was curious.

Edit:

precision posted:

I don't remember anything about Descent 2 except thinking "this is literally the same movie as the first one, but worse".

I'd describe The Descent 2 like if someone did the telephone game about the first Descent between several people and then told the last one to make a movie about what they heard. Even worse that they build it off the dumb ending the US got instead of the better UK ending.

So disappointing. I don't think there's a good idea to be found in The Descent 2 and I'm usually able to find something, anything good in most movies. Like you said, it's like every category of the first movie redone in a worse way. If the first had great sets augmented with fantastic lighting the second has a bad theme park cave that's brightly lit. So sad.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 5, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Don't they actually recreate the same test in driver:SF?

I think there is a Trophy for driving around concrete pillars in a particular place, like you had to in the test, but I don't know where those are. Other than that I don't think there is anything more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Descent is literally one of my favorite movies ever and because of that I will probably never watch the sequel.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Szurumbur posted:

I think there is a Trophy for driving around concrete pillars in a particular place, like you had to in the test, but I don't know where those are. Other than that I don't think there is anything more.

I looked it up. On the 360 at least, if you go 88 miles in the DeLorean you unlock a challenge that's the recreation of the driver test, including the absurd time limit.

There's an achievement for doing it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

I looked it up. On the 360 at least, if you go 88 miles in the DeLorean you unlock a challenge that's the recreation of the driver test, including the absurd time limit.

That is incredibly awesome.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I didn't know that, it's really great, thanks for taking the time to check it!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Mung Dynasty posted:

I probably like the psp god of war games best, but thats because they get rid of all the mind-numbingly patronizing and time consuming 'puzzles' (Push this block, turn this crank, set off this pressure plate: repeat every loving game. :rolleyes:) while scaling the games back by about half.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another good thing about Tomb Raider: loving around to get all the collectibles is actually fun.

I feel like this is an obvious design choice that many developers fail to make (looking at you, AssCreed, looking right the gently caress at you).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I probably like the psp god of war games best, but thats because they get rid of all the mind-numbingly patronizing and time consuming 'puzzles' (Push this block, turn this crank, set off this pressure plate: repeat every loving game. :rolleyes:) while scaling the games back by about half.

As bad as Ascension is, it actually has some good puzzles. Funny how that worked out.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quick EU store update, full one coming when I get time.

Link to all new releases in webstore

Link to PS Blog post with more details

Links to all new PS+ games:
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition 2.2 GB
Tomb Raider 12.5 GB. Even though the store description says this is a bundle, it's actually just the game by itself.
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 625 MB
Smart As 1.5 GB
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD 165 MB

*moved to full post*

Yet more expensive avatars:
24 Carat Gold Skull avatar £3.19/€4/AU$5.85
"Diamond Geezer" avatar £2/€2.49/AU$3.65

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 6, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Heads up, it appears that Sony EU has hosed up somewhere. If you buy this icon pack for Killzone Shadow Fall at 85p, the full game shows up in your download list instead. Confirmed working as of five minutes ago when I did it, but no guarantees they won't replace it with the aforementioned icon pack in the morning. On the other hand, it's worth the gamble at 85p if you've got some spare credit lying around. Certainly beats blowing two quid on an avatar.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 6, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know, a gold skull is pretty intimidating. :hb:

Yup, I can confirm it too. Cart said icon pack, but download list says it's the full game. :pwn:

Background stats say it only gives out the full game as well. Sucks for those that already bought the game and wanted the icons in the first place.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Did you "buy" the trial? That could be what's showing up.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

mrEkli posted:

Did you "buy" the trial? That could be what's showing up.

Maybe? Both the open multiplayer listing and the full game listing shows up as purchased under my UK account.

For now, I can confirm, UK and Ireland stores have this glitch right now. Australian store listing give out the correct entitlement.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
The thing that gets me is that the icon pack in question is nowhere to be seen. Maybe something changed for the PS4, I dunno. We shall see come the morning (or the 12th).

And hey, if it doesn't work, it's only 85p of credit down the drain. No big deal. :shrug:

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 6, 2014

• Locked thread