Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, do you mean we had a tie?! :suspense:

Nah, 'fraid not. Goon Class winner had a .8 sec lead on 2nd (I was wrong about the 1 sec between 1st and 3rd... It was still a fairly close 1.8s, though!), and while I haven't looked closely at the Mod Class, there's at least a 4 sec difference between 1st and 2nd. So Venom Class is nailbitingly close (I really wish I could sync these up properly, but the differences in where slowdowns are means it ain't happening), while Rapier is... not so close. 1 extra lap, it seems, makes a lot of difference!

EDIT: Sadly, due to wanting to make it pretty, and such, it'll be a while before we see the race vids. Next up will be the next FRIW segment (with guest commentator Alkydere!), then the Piranha Challenge (with the Piranha, for extra comedy!), and then, hopefully, should be the GoonRace vid(s), depending on my editing skill.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Nah, 'fraid not. Goon Class winner had a .8 sec lead on 2nd (I was wrong about the 1 sec between 1st and 3rd... It was still a fairly close 1.8s, though!), and while I haven't looked closely at the Mod Class, there's at least a 4 sec difference between 1st and 2nd. So Venom Class is nailbitingly close (I really wish I could sync these up properly, but the differences in where slowdowns are means it ain't happening), while Rapier is... not so close. 1 extra lap, it seems, makes a lot of difference!

I'll mention this in the video (blanktester and I are obviously down to commentate), but Rapier felt like for every single corner in the track, I took it 4 different ways in the 4 laps. Half of those were me smashing into to the side, and half of those were me releasing accelerate about 5 seconds beforehand.

Now Phantom - oh, I'm a little glad that category got disbanded. You two would have lapped me - maybe even lapped me twice if your runs were really good.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

JamieTheD posted:

It's the taking part that's important!

Also, the two guys in first place put us all to shame...

And I am looking forward to making fun of Jamie for being bad at the game he's LPing. :allears:

Edit: More than I already do, I mean.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

And I am looking forward to making fun of Jamie for being bad at the game he's LPing. :allears:

Edit: More than I already do, I mean.

Just wait until the Slipstream 5000 video. You get to laugh at me doing it for you.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Just wait until the Slipstream 5000 video. You get to laugh at me doing it for you.

I knew you would have my back on this Alkydere. You are a real bro.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Next FRIW segment should be up Wednesday morning, but in the meantime, I took a quick look for other Future Racers, and found... a surprisingly large amount of Wipeout/F-Zero clones on Greenlight, for good or for ill.

First up, there's X-Speed. Obviously, the X denotes that it was first made for linux's X GUI system, and it doesn't look bad... It just doesn't look great, and seems far more reminiscent of F-Zero than Wipeout, despite being a hybrid. I like the idea of procedurally generated tracks, but it just doesn't seem interesting.

Right at the top is Rage Runner, which is basically somewhere between Pyroblazer and the proper Death Star Trench Run (it even makes lovely references to it in the description.) It has some interesting ideas, but Nitronic Rush honestly does the same sort of thing better, and so it won't be featured in FRIW.

Wipeground, meanwhile, just shows a lack of thought, from the name (which has meant the comments are dominated by "Uh, do you like lawsuits?" to the weapons (mostly useless) and pit-stop (where auto-buy seems the best option of a series of terrible ones). Will not be in FRIW unless there's some serious improvement. And less wubs.

Collateral at least has some good visual design going for it, even if the music is "Hey, generic EDGY Cyberpunk!", and the whole open world thing is turning me off a little. I'll be at least keeping an eye on this one, because it looks vaguely interesting, but it may or may not be a future FRIW segment.

Gear Grinder is a game you can already get places other than steam, and I do have to say, it looks tempting. But so, on first glance, do many FRIW failures on my list. So it's cautiously on the list. For now.

The Rush... Oh, sorry, .The Rush// (.HACK// much?) is a wipeout clone. There's no bones about this. Same turbo symbol, same weapon symbol, some of the same models... It's a god-drat clone, but with faux-retro 3D graphics.

Darkwind is at least an interesting concept. One that turns me off, because "turn based" doesn't fit well with "Death race" in my mind, and for it to be both turn-based and online makes me think of the trainwreck that was (and is) Dungeonbowl, but it's at least an interesting concept.

Finally, there's PosiTron. It's Tron-Bikes, but well presented, and apparently with multiple game modes. This, or something like it, will be in the FRIW vids somewhere, because the Tron Bike game is pretty much archetypal Future Racing Weirdness.

The Wii-Store even has FAST, which seems vaguely interesting once I've got a capture card. Having played the demo, however, one thing that I will definitely be commenting on if I get it is how the Wiimote controls, while basically being Mario Kart style, seem to rely on your Wiimote being exactly 45 degrees and a certain distance, which wasn't great. But it had some interesting mechanics.

Any other ones folks have found?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JamieTheD posted:

Darkwind is at least an interesting concept. One that turns me off, because "turn based" doesn't fit well with "Death race" in my mind, and for it to be both turn-based and online makes me think of the trainwreck that was (and is) Dungeonbowl, but it's at least an interesting concept.

I played it. It's awesome. Had a race vs. AI on a figure-of-eight shaped track, with guns, mines and poo poo. Guess, how many cars finished.

That's right, none. The were gun kills, and there were collisions at the track intersection. I was getting in the lead, but then hit a mine dropped by someone (maybe even me) a couple of laps earlier. Car trashed one lap to finish. The final surviving AI also ate a mine shortly afterwards.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Wipeground, meanwhile, just shows a lack of thought, from the name (which has meant the comments are dominated by "Uh, do you like lawsuits?" to the weapons (mostly useless) and pit-stop (where auto-buy seems the best option of a series of terrible ones). Will not be in FRIW unless there's some serious improvement. And less wubs.

Like I told Jamie when he showed me this one, it's not just stealing the name. That track has an almost identical loving design to Wipeout's. Just with more polygons and better textures.

I will give Collateral points on looking nice.

JamieTheD posted:

Gear Grinder is a game you can already get places other than steam, and I do have to say, it looks tempting. But so, on first glance, do many FRIW failures on my list. So it's cautiously on the list. For now.

Damnit Jamie, how can you not try this? It's Semi-Trucks with Jet Engines and Anti Aircraft Guns. :iia:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Damnit Jamie, how can you not try this? It's Semi-Trucks with Jet Engines and Anti Aircraft Guns. :iia:

Semi-Trucks with Jet Engines and Anti-Aircraft guns and enough moving parts to be proto-transformers.

As I said to Jamie when he linked it to me: "It's like they're all knockoff versions of Optimus Prime!"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

Any other ones folks have found?

Well there's this shameless little Rush 2049 ripoff that somehow got Greenlit. The guys behind it even had the nerve to do the whole pay-for-beta thing on their website.

I paid for alpha back when they did the kickstarter and I like it

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

YourAverageJoe posted:

Well there's this shameless little Rush 2049 ripoff that somehow got Greenlit. The guys behind it even had the nerve to do the whole pay-for-beta thing on their website.

I paid for alpha back when they did the kickstarter and I like it

You mean the one where they openly admitted Rush 2049 was a huge influence back when the first game (Nitronic RUSH) was released?

I love NR, but don't have Distance. Yet. I did, however, find another game on Desura. Sadly, it's another clone of Wipeout down to the weapons. The major difference? Brighter, spiffier tracks, no airbrakes, and no need for it. I'm not naming and shaming it now, but there will be a "And then there were ripoff Fangames" section to FRIW... Right at the end.

Anyways, it's technically Wednesday AM, let's do this thaing!

Future Racing Is Weird, Part 2: Flying to Failure (Slipstream 5000 and Pyroblazer)

In this segment, we're going to look at two games with two things in common: That they fly, and that they have obscene amounts of tunnels and canyons. Both are... very different in their approach. Let's begin with Slipstream 5000.

HONK IF YOU LOVE FLYING!
(WARNING: CRASHES AND POTENTIAL MOTION SICKNESS AHOY)

Coming some years after S.T.U.N. Runner, and around the same time as Wipeout 1, Slipstream 5000 was the mutt's nutts on PC when it came out. In essence, it was an extremely stripped down combat flight racer, and noisy with it (as most games of the era were), but the voice acting is more hilaribad than just plain bad, and, while not having any real depth to it, was kinda fun.

But only kinda, because the tracks were often nigh impossible not to take damage on, and damage would either slow you down or make you turn slower. If you can guess this is a vicious cycle made of just-before-bedtime tears, you would be quite correct. Also, most of the weapons are worthless, with the exception of the most expensive one. Yay.

Because I am a sucker for punishment, I play this game without the benefit of gamepad or joystick. Because I am also a sadist who loves to crush dreams, I bring Alkydere along for the ride... It doesn't quite work out the way I want it to, because Alkydere can actually play the game, and I... Well, you'll see. Pyroblazer, however, is a different story.

HONK IF YOU LOVE MANDATORY TURBO!

Remember how I say a lot that the lore and setting in the Wipeout series helps make the game enjoyable for me? Well, here's where I get to talk about why this isn't the case for me and Pyroblazer. Specifically, it's all about game design and world design, and how they (should) mesh.

With the Wipeout series, most aspects of the mechanical and visual design of the tracks and craft has at least something to do with the lore: For example, Qirex craft are (nearly) always double hulled, dark coloured death monsters (reflecting their slightly villainous corporate persona), The tracks emphasise certain aspects of the game's universe (Korodera and Odessa Keys, just from the first two games, emphasise different aspects of the world, for example, and there are lots of little things scattered throughout that hint at various bits of lore), and, as we'll see in later games, even the music has been designed with certain teams or tracks in mind.

By contrast, Pyroblazer emphasises only two game mechanics: Hold down turbo key, and collect coins to get more turbo. Combat? Avoidable, even on Hard, if you can hit those coins and turbo fast enough without getting slowed down by hitting obstacles. I don't mention collisions as a mechanic, because it isn't really unique to Pyroblazer, it's something that's in a good 90% of racing games. The “world” design is basically various forms of tubes and canyons with some ruins in the background, and nothing makes you care about the pages and pages of lore that you're going to unlock by playing the game. Believe me, there are loving hundreds of the god-drat things, and you will give a poo poo about precisely none of them. Especially not the “Story” entries, because you see those the moment you hit the next “tournament”, and none are particularly interesting. Which is a shame, because the setting has potential. It's just squandered. I make Alkydere die a little inside with this video, because this is effectively a “spiritual successor” to Slipstream 5000 (read: Something that has vaguely the same ideas), and is a bit poo poo.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 29, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Double posting here to apologise for some of the audio issues in these two vids, because they do exist (mostly because it was the bad choices of either having echo, or Alkydere quietish, or Alkydere robotised.) Except the stuttering on the Ultra Engine splash screen. That was classic, and set the tone for the rest of the Pyroblazer video.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

a bit poo poo.

Jamie here is demonstrating his ability to use subtlety and tact. An ability the creators (I hesitate to use the word "writers", no matter how many pages of dreck they wrote) of Pyroblaze do not have.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pyroblazer makes the wrong assumption that Burnout 3 was great because you boosted all the time. This is wrong. Burnout 3 was great because the only way to keep boosting was by taking down other cars. Sure, you could go against traffic and get near-misses on the traffic, but that doesn't get you far.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Slipstream 5000

I'm glad you didn't get me for this one. I would have nothing positive to say about it. It looks slow as poo poo, which is basically the antithesis of what I want out of a racing game.

Though I did particularly enjoy you ramming your face into the wall causing you to finish second. :v:

JamieTheD posted:

Pyroblazer

I hate you guys. Soon as I saw the UI for the race I stopped the video and made this.

Only to find when I finished the video that you guys already made the joke.

You made me waste a minute and a half in MS paint.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Pyroblazer seems like half of the team wanted to make an FPS and the other half a racing game. And the end result was even more disjointed than Quake Rally.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

hirvox posted:

Pyroblazer seems like half of the team wanted to make an FPS and the other half a racing game. And the end result was even more disjointed than Quake Rally.

You forget the third half that wanted to make an RPG/dungeon crawler.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, I was gonna make a pretty picture for this, but all my good art programs are cock-blocked right now... So bully me if there's no pretty picture representative of this update within a week. Oh, and a factsheet about the Piranha, which will have one word on the texty bit: BROKEN.

The Piranha Challenge

Text Link

Well, this is it. All eight tracks, all on Phantom Class, with three continues, and we have to get gold in all eight. I'm going to be doing this in an Auricom The Piranha, but I've done it with all craft, even an AGS before, as hair raising as that experience is. Since I want to be able to do it in one go, however, I'm not going to do that. It's still gonna be exciting. This is pretty much subs, and all but the last two races are cut.

But what's our reward? Now all the tracks can be raced, at any speed class (the exceptions being the Phantom tracks, which can be raced on Rapier or Phantom only), and we get... A new ship. A special ship. Ladies and Gentlegoons, in the first of our closing bonus updates, I give you... The Piranha. No weapons, no abilities... Just max stats in everything, and all the funtimes that that implies. Congratulations, you can now break the tracks over your knee, and make anyone who plays hotseat with you cry.

...This Piranha will look good with the other four Piranhas I won. I might start a collection.

So, where do we go from here? Well, there's only two things left to demo with XL: The cheats (one of which is hilarious) and how to break certain tracks (mostly Talon's Reach, to be honest, but others are possible... just hard as hell.)

Also, We mustn't forget the first successful Wipeout GOONRACE!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 1, 2014

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You probably shouldn't spoil your jokes in the Youtube description. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nice use of the Registered Trademark logo.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

As you might have guessed, recording the track skipping is somewhat hard. So, to show that I'm still working on stuff for the LP, here are two short segments from videos people will be seeing at some point in the future.

A replay from a fascinating, yet flawed gem
KA-BEWM! (If you guessed you won't be seeing this again until Fusion, you'd be 100% correct!)

Sorry about the resize troubles, that's weirdness I've already worked out how to iron out. But I thought you'd enjoy these. Especially the second one.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Most of the shortcut video is recorded, and editing continues on the race vids, but I have run into an interesting problem: I cannot seem to get Animal Mode to work on any emulated version. If anyone else has any better luck, let me know how they got it working. Until then, we just have to wait for my PS1 copy to arrive (my real copy is PC, and thus nigh worthless for the purposes of the LP)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Most of the shortcut video is recorded, and editing continues on the race vids, but I have run into an interesting problem: I cannot seem to get Animal Mode to work on any emulated version. If anyone else has any better luck, let me know how they got it working. Until then, we just have to wait for my PS1 copy to arrive (my real copy is PC, and thus nigh worthless for the purposes of the LP)

I could record the PS1 version if you'd like me to. Anything you would want?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ovues posted:

I could record the PS1 version if you'd like me to. Anything you would want?

It's cool, I've sorted it out, along with confirming that emulation does not appear to be able to cope with the glory that is ANIMAL MODE. But I have recorded most of the cheats, will put together the cheat video, and we should have some FRIW to tide us over until everything is edited.

Editing does progress on the race vids, but I'm running into two AVISynth stumbling blocks: Syncing, and prettifying. I'm pretty sure I know how to sort the first second, but if the chap who volunteered earlier (or someone else with AVISynth knowledge) could sync up the race clips I have, I'd be real grateful. If they could show me their black magic too, I'd also be grateful. More black magic is useful in my life. :P

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. I like how they made "Get your helmet and fly" look like the Piranha motto with the registered-trademark symbol. That's always a nice touch.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Just an update for you folks: Jamie is incompetent at making videos. He has had to scrap several 5 hour encodings because the sound got hosed somehow. Also Comic-Con got in the way. He will likely be posting pictures of his prized Sailor Moon costume here very soon.

He stitched it him self.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just an update for you folks: Jamie is incompetent at making videos. He has had to scrap several 5 hour encodings because the sound got hosed somehow. Also Comic-Con got in the way. He will likely be posting pictures of his prized Sailor Moon costume here very soon.

He stitched it him self.

Actual quotes from Jamie:

JamieTheD posted:

Comic-Con was pretty cool. But no con nookie for me, sadly. :(

JamieTheD posted:

Well, maybe not. I don't know. It was a helluva weekend, y'see, it's all a blur.

Of course, this can only mean one thing:

Pictured: Jamie's fondest Comic-Con memory.

After all, what is hotter than Sailor Moon, if not TWO of them? :v:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Actual quotes from Jamie:

Of course, this can only mean one thing:

Pictured: Jamie's fondest Comic-Con memory.

After all, what is hotter than Sailor Moon, if not TWO of them? :v:

GOD DAMNIT. I recognize that guy! He was my boss when I was working at Taco Bell!

He was the second biggest nerd in the place. Only the second because the biggest nerd literally greeted everyone in Japanese and was a creepy pedophile stalker who got angry when his under-aged girlfriend dumped him for someone her age. Oh and she and her new boyfriend both worked there too.

I had the worst workplace. :negative:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
While we are waiting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgb6sVT6OYY

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

GOD DAMNIT. I recognize that guy! He was my boss when I was working at Taco Bell!

He was the second biggest nerd in the place. Only the second because the biggest nerd literally greeted everyone in Japanese and was a creepy pedophile stalker who got angry when his under-aged girlfriend dumped him for someone her age. Oh and she and her new boyfriend both worked there too.

I had the worst workplace. :negative:

It would have been better if he wore his Sailor Moon outfit to work. Then you would have very happy work environment.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think even that would have made it a happy work environment. I had some pretty loving weird co-workers.

Everyone from the Ur-Nerd Who Turned Out To Be A Creepy Stalker to a literal border hopping bank robber.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't think even that would have made it a happy work environment. I had some pretty loving weird co-workers.

Everyone from the Ur-Nerd Who Turned Out To Be A Creepy Stalker to a literal border hopping bank robber.

I've always wanted to do this.

:justpost:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Ok.

You guys get crazy co workers.

The Ur-Nerd was alright at first. Hella nerdy, but I'm commenting on videos about games on the internet. I'm nerdy too. But like I said, he would always greet people by going Konichiwa and bowing. Surprised he never got fired for it since we had plenty of Asian folks coming through. But that's neither here nor there. I shoulda known this guy was loving crazy when he asked me if I was a furry and he pulled out a sketch of his fursona. At work. Yeah.

The next warning sign was his obsession with his previous girlfriend. He was always talking about how he missed her and wanted to get back with her. Never mentioned how long ago it was. No the assistant manager who was working there long before he did, told me she was dumped 3 years ago. (By the way, she was not crazy. Just pretty cool.)

The real kicker and drama was his relationship with a girl way younger than him. Sue (not her real name) was like 16 when she started working there. It was my first job, I was 19 and even then I knew that dating co workers was a dumb idea but Ur-Nerd gave no fucks about social norms like "not dating a highschool girl who is literally 10 years younger than your self. Or could read little warning signs like Sue saying repeatedly that she "Needed a boyfriend to feel good about my self." and going through 5 between the time she started working and dating Ur-Nerd. Less than 4 months after she started working there. Yeah.

So they started dating and everyone is saying "Sue, find someone your own age" and "Ur-Nerd, we know you are creepy, but stop being super creepy." Course they didn't listen. Because that wouldn't have given me fun stories to relate. But yeah, for probably a year they went out and I'm pretty sure Ur-Nerd broke the law repeatedly during it, but I guess her parents liked him or some stupid poo poo. What ever.

Then we got a new guy I'm gonna call Ted. Ted was a cool dude. One of the most normal folks in the store. A bit egotistical, but what ever. He was a cool guy to hang out with. Sue, a week after Ted starts working there, dumps Ur-Nerd and starts banging Ted. Just like that. Ur-Nerd didnt know about the whole "Banging Ted" part. Just that he got dumped.

So this all comes to a head when he literally roots through her purse and nabs her phone. He figures out that she's been going out with Ted and confronts them about it.

At work.

I had to call the police to get him removed. Don't know what happend to him afterwards.

So, the bank robber. The tacobell I worked at was literally in throwing distance from a bank. I could take a rock, underhand it, and hit the side of the bank.

One day, a feller named Marshal starts working there. Totes chill dude. I hung out with him once. He had some liquor in his truck all the time. Never took a ride from him though. :v:

So he was working there for a week before he disappeared. We figured he just up and quit like you usually get in fast food. Nope. 3 months later, one of our regulars comes in, one of the town's police officers, and asks if any of us had any information on him. We found out he's wanted for robbing the bank next door!

Another month goes by. Same cop comes back, and tells us they caught him. He's getting extradited from Mexico. It was all pretty funny. He was our little town's first bank robber!

There were a lot of other characters that worked there. Not much drama from them, but we had everything from 3 women without their green cards or visas who would constantly propose to me jokingly. And then the one who meant it. (so she could get citizenship) Daniel and Kevin, two great guys. Moved nearly was gonna room with one before he had to go back to Kentucky for family reasons. But they didn't get along at all. Oh and they were also the two most effeminate gay men I have ever met. Daniel even swayed his hips. Sailor Boss called them "The Catfighters."

Speaking of Sailor Boss. He married the assistant manager and by all counts, aside from being nerdy as hell and cross-cosplaying, was a perfectly normal human being who just really liked anime and video games.

One last thing. The eventual fate of Sue. She was a really talented girl. Had a full ride waiting for her to god drat Yale. She got pregnant her last year of high school and dropped out. I heard from one of our mutual friends that she ended up moving out west and settled down with the father. She never took her full ride.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm just going to assume the Marshall took the Taco Bell job to case the bank.

Also Jamie needs to come back, the suspense is killing me over who won the races.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ok.

You guys get crazy co workers.

The Ur-Nerd was alright at first. Hella nerdy, but I'm commenting on videos about games on the internet. I'm nerdy too. But like I said, he would always greet people by going Konichiwa and bowing. Surprised he never got fired for it since we had plenty of Asian folks coming through. But that's neither here nor there. I shoulda known this guy was loving crazy when he asked me if I was a furry and he pulled out a sketch of his fursona. At work. Yeah.

The next warning sign was his obsession with his previous girlfriend. He was always talking about how he missed her and wanted to get back with her. Never mentioned how long ago it was. No the assistant manager who was working there long before he did, told me she was dumped 3 years ago. (By the way, she was not crazy. Just pretty cool.)

The real kicker and drama was his relationship with a girl way younger than him. Sue (not her real name) was like 16 when she started working there. It was my first job, I was 19 and even then I knew that dating co workers was a dumb idea but Ur-Nerd gave no fucks about social norms like "not dating a highschool girl who is literally 10 years younger than your self. Or could read little warning signs like Sue saying repeatedly that she "Needed a boyfriend to feel good about my self." and going through 5 between the time she started working and dating Ur-Nerd. Less than 4 months after she started working there. Yeah.

So they started dating and everyone is saying "Sue, find someone your own age" and "Ur-Nerd, we know you are creepy, but stop being super creepy." Course they didn't listen. Because that wouldn't have given me fun stories to relate. But yeah, for probably a year they went out and I'm pretty sure Ur-Nerd broke the law repeatedly during it, but I guess her parents liked him or some stupid poo poo. What ever.

Then we got a new guy I'm gonna call Ted. Ted was a cool dude. One of the most normal folks in the store. A bit egotistical, but what ever. He was a cool guy to hang out with. Sue, a week after Ted starts working there, dumps Ur-Nerd and starts banging Ted. Just like that. Ur-Nerd didnt know about the whole "Banging Ted" part. Just that he got dumped.

So this all comes to a head when he literally roots through her purse and nabs her phone. He figures out that she's been going out with Ted and confronts them about it.

At work.

I had to call the police to get him removed. Don't know what happend to him afterwards.

So, the bank robber. The tacobell I worked at was literally in throwing distance from a bank. I could take a rock, underhand it, and hit the side of the bank.

One day, a feller named Marshal starts working there. Totes chill dude. I hung out with him once. He had some liquor in his truck all the time. Never took a ride from him though. :v:

So he was working there for a week before he disappeared. We figured he just up and quit like you usually get in fast food. Nope. 3 months later, one of our regulars comes in, one of the town's police officers, and asks if any of us had any information on him. We found out he's wanted for robbing the bank next door!

Another month goes by. Same cop comes back, and tells us they caught him. He's getting extradited from Mexico. It was all pretty funny. He was our little town's first bank robber!

There were a lot of other characters that worked there. Not much drama from them, but we had everything from 3 women without their green cards or visas who would constantly propose to me jokingly. And then the one who meant it. (so she could get citizenship) Daniel and Kevin, two great guys. Moved nearly was gonna room with one before he had to go back to Kentucky for family reasons. But they didn't get along at all. Oh and they were also the two most effeminate gay men I have ever met. Daniel even swayed his hips. Sailor Boss called them "The Catfighters."

Speaking of Sailor Boss. He married the assistant manager and by all counts, aside from being nerdy as hell and cross-cosplaying, was a perfectly normal human being who just really liked anime and video games.

One last thing. The eventual fate of Sue. She was a really talented girl. Had a full ride waiting for her to god drat Yale. She got pregnant her last year of high school and dropped out. I heard from one of our mutual friends that she ended up moving out west and settled down with the father. She never took her full ride.

I've been wrong before. I don't think any amount of work cosplay would save that situation, I'm sorry.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Yeah but what if they cosplayed as the different ships from Wipeout and instead of being weirdos they just threw sauce packets and yelled "ROCKETS"?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Hokay, FRIW segment should be undergoing co-commentary soon, cheats video is being edited, as is track skipping (only most examples, not all of them... some of them are a bit pointless), and race editing does proceed, so don't worry guys, it'll be done by next week, and then we'll all see who the winners are! In the meantime, enjoy some photos from Comic-Con.

Danny John Jules is the coolest dude.
Stormtrooper takes offence at my comment about their accuracy.
Mario?
The tallest god-drat Doctor!
Cadet TheD with Judge Purcell
What, you're saying you wouldn't fondle Deadpool?
I later pickpocketed the entire armour set.

Sadly, no Wipeout cosplayers. I know they exist, there just weren't any. But now you see why it was all a bit of a blur. :v:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Future Racing Is Weird: The Outliers (Jet Ion GP, Future Racer)

Co-Commentator: The Mighty Biscuit

text link

As you may have noticed, a theme of future racing games is that most aspire to great heights, but are let down by some deep flaw in the gameplay or setting. It is unfortunately no different with the entries here, but these two, at least, aspire higher than the majority of the games we've looked at. Let's start with Jet Ion GP.

Jet Ion GP was doomed by one thing, and one thing alone: Not uninteresting mechanics, not bad visual design, or music design. No. Tragically, it was an oversight on the developers' part: They thought the PS2's GPU was more powerful than it actually was. So, before we finally mention what that led to, let's talk about what they did right.

The craft are well designed visually. The track design is fairly varied, and visually quite gorgeous for the most part. Even under the hood, stats actually did matter, and the main mechanic of the game was fantastic in its simplicity, and its tactical flexibility. Essentially, the craft of Jet Ion GP are powered by some sort of energy field, which is represented by a golden “track” that winds through the air. The closer you are to the “track”, the faster you go... But, and this is the important part, if you're clever, you can skip entire track sections, with a commensurate risk-reward mechanic: You lose speed, control, and power the longer you're away from that track, and if you're away from it too long, you lose (although this varies, depending on the difficulty).

Despite all this, the game was almost universally panned, and the company folded. Why? Because, as mentioned, the devs overestimated the PS2's capabilities, and the game chugs like a steam-train with a wonky boiler whenever there's either more than one or two of the gorgeous features on the screen, or more than your own craft on the screen. That slowdown? Isn't emulation. I'm capture-carding this poor SOB, so what you're seeing is what the PS2 actually does. And that's tragic, because this game definitely had potential.

text link

The other entry here, Future Racer, is, sadly, drowned in a lack of creativity. Which is a drat shame, because the ideas sound great. Racing with giant robots that can punch crap? Sick boosts? A sort of combat tag race mode? Sounds amazing, sign me – Oh. What we got was something which appears to have two musical tracks for racing, some distinctly bad anime art and writing, and gameplay which had me in the dull kind of videogame trance for the entirety of the recording. It doesn't help that the game itself doesn't explain much, and the manual isn't much better. Why? Because it makes the game sound better than it is. Good example: Ray Breakthunder has a short range attack called the Lightning Break. Can you guess what it is? From what I could tell, it's the same god-drat punch everyone else has. Although it does give you maneuvers that nobody playing the game without the manual would know. Oh, to have known the Sonic Shie- oh, wait, no, I still win without knowing these awesome maneuvers. Also without knowing that those balls are useless in Time Trial mode.

In closing, two games: One was destroyed by overconfidence, the other by the 90s. Go the 90s, woo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Between the orange Tang joke and the tunnel, I can't help but be reminded of Evangelion (the anime), and Between The Eyes (the Net Yaroze game). I'm pretty sure I don't want to ever see a combination of the two.

But Between The Eyes would DEFINITELY fit the "Future Racing Is Weird" moniker, being a super-weird game (as Net Yaroze games often were).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Everything about Jet Ion GP is obnoxious.

• Locked thread