Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Again, that seems really easy to fix! Just do a romhack where your starters aren't super powerful. A nidoran, a weedle, and a geodude, maybe. Then change the encounter tables so you don't end up with pidgeys all over creation in the first 5 routes. Scramble it up and watch the chaos happen. Don't mess with the actual progression so people can still metagame, but just take away the omniscience. Bam, you're back in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Anyway, in my opinion so is TPP is just one of those things that is fun once but not very exciting after that, no reason to overanalyze it more than that. I mean, Pokemon Red hadn't done anything more exciting than struggling with using cut and battling the ledge at this point so it's not like it was significantly more thrilling or anything.

e; Forgot about the incredibly clutch bide kill on Lt. Surge. But the excitement wasn't why the stream got hype in the first place anyway.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 6, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kainser posted:

Anyway, in my opinion so is TPP is just one of those things that is fun once but not very exciting after that, no reason to overanalyze it more than that. I mean, Pokemon Red hadn't done anything more exciting than struggling with using cut and battling the ledge at this point so it's not like it was significantly more thrilling or anything.

True, but at least the battles were usually tense. Probably because Kanto was full of rocks and status conditions that gave Bird Jesus trouble, or maybe because we kept blowing half of our moves using Whirlwind, but at least there was an element of "will we lose here" with each fight. Here Surf's in slot 1 and its just been Press X To Gator, and that's a lot less thrilling.

That might be why the fanart dropped off too. When he was using leer every turn, it was endearingly ineffective and came with a badass animation. Gator Drowns All The Things just doesn't lend itself to hilarious art as much.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't really think the basic concept needs 'fixing', really, there's no need for contrivances like that. Just leave it running and if hype dies down, let it die down, no need for gimmickry. Even if it's down to a few people passing it around and doing everything 'properly', they're still having fun in their own way. I think the concept is simple enough to setup that even if the original streamer is done, there's more than enough people willing to run with it. An entertaining narrative was never the original goal, the fact that the first stream ended up with one was a happy accident but there's no need to force it.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 6, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Twitch should play a randomized rom.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
:siren: Wooper is dead. :siren: good job stream.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And more pokemon will die until the gator is gone.

E: And he's deposited!

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 6, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bloody Wednesday :911:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
For a nice frame of reference as to just how 'efficient' our Red playthough was, there was a new World Record set for Pokemon Red just now: 1:52:37 real time. That's a little under 1/200th the time it took us.

Magres posted:

Bloody Wednesday :911:

Today actually is/was Ash Wednesday, so it's sort of fitting.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNTn9cJApg

Looks like TPP themed deep thought videos are starting now...

Edit: Ash Wednesday, the day we purge for our gluttony and suffer 40 days of lent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nullEntityRNG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNTn9cJApg

Looks like TPP themed deep thought videos are starting now...

Edit: Ash Wednesday, the day we purge for our gluttony and suffer 40 days of lent.

Centuries of political and social activism? gently caress that, a bunch of white kids on the internet trolling each other in twitch chat for me, please.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Gator got deposited in Anarchy and brute forced out again with Democracy

:sigh:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Magres posted:

Gator got deposited in Anarchy and brute forced out again with Democracy

:sigh:

Maybe reddit is right :gonk: Democracy does ruin everything.

e: Also, Nidoran (either kind) is a terrible choice for a "bad starter pokemon". Nidoking and Nidoqueen are both at the very top of the list for ingame non-legendary pokemon, thanks to their deep movesets and well-rounded stats.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
They released Wooper, which is the only other Pokemon they had that could use Surf, required to make forward progress in the game. There isn't much choice.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wait, Feraligatr got released?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Wait, Feraligatr got released?

No. Deposited in anarchy and then democracy votespammed him out under the pretense of getting Eevee.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now, let's see if they can burn through 17000 pokebux trying to deposit the loving lizard in the daycare, depositing Eevee instead, and having to pay 100 pokebux to get him back out again.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Also the TPP hate is glorious :allears:

I can't help but feel like the run so far has been lackluster: not because of how our starter pokemon has been steamrolling 92% of the game, or the generalized unity of the hivemind. It might have been too soon to start Crystal. Should have just randomly waited like 2 weeks and then silently begin Crystal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This is the best piece of fanart.

People need to lighten up about this stream. Its a bunch of people on the internet playing an old video game, I'm not sure why you expected it to be entertaining forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
internet, unreasonable expectations, etc

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Even if the Crystal stream isn't as interesting from a clutch victory perspective, or a fan art generation perspective, I still like to tune in every now and then and go, "what are you idiots doing now?" Even if this thing doesn't last, it was cool to witness major parts of it live, and it got me playing old Pokemon games again, and that's always fun.

I still hope the stream does try to take on Red, though. That'll still be interesting, I think. They've got to go and get someone who can use Waterfall, so the Red Gyarados situation will be fun, esepcially if they fail to catch it and have to come up with something else. I love that one of their ideas is to hold out for Fisherman Tully to give them a water stone to toss evolve Eevee with. There's potential for anything to happen. As others have said, it did take more than two weeks to finish Red and it is only approaching Day 4 on this run.

It would be cool to let this idea go after Crystal, but then bring it back in a year. It could be an event, like the Four Job Fiesta, and maybe they could think of some way to raise money out of it, for some kind of animal charity or something.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Dying of laughter at Twitch loving up and releasing Wooper and Togepi trying to get rid of Feraligatr.

vvv terrible vvv

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wonder what Goons Play Pokemon would be like.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably exactly the same

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If only I had a stable internet connection, I'd throw up goonsplaypokemon with a synirc room for commands.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is the funniest piece of fanart to come out of this whole thing.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

There's not really a complex explanation here. It's more that you know, the time ghost kinda came and went and the Red run really sort of got its message across. The narrative of Crystal has been really loving lackluster so far, and it's mostly because people have ALREADY told this story. There's not a lot left to DO in the metanarrative sense, and you can tell that because a lot of the narrative that has sprung up around Crystal has tried to instead tie itself back into Red instead of inventing something new. It's not that there isn't the potential for a new narrative, it's just that like...they're not going to do this for every single loving Pokemon game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They should do Twitch Plays Fire Emblem next. :v:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Are they really so obsessed with repeating the same lovely memes from the first playthrough that they'd rather freeze the game to release the starter rather than make progress? Or is it just a ton of latecomer trolls?

edit: cause drat there's a lot of name### accounts spamming commands

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
We have a Shuckle, a level 33 Pidgey, and an Eevee that is about to evolve.

Why exactly is the chat so hellbent on getting rid of Gatr again?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

It's okay that it got boring and uninteresting. That's fine. That's just what happens. We don't need to keep explaining it to ourselves. Most of these posts could've very well have just been emptyquotes. It's fine! Maybe they shoulda just given it a break after Red, but y'know, I'm glad we're trying Crystal anyway. :shobon:

I feel like all the people scrambling to eradicate Feraligatr are going about this the wrong way though. That's not going to fix anything. If Feraligatr gets boxed for good, we're just going to wind up with ANOTHER Pokemon getting ridiculously overlevelled. The reason Red's PC problems were funny was because every single fuckup was entirely due to lack of competence, not because of an intentional effort to sabotage the efforts.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Yeah, really everyone from every side is just trying too hard.

RED worked because it was the first, and beside that it was such a miraculously unique and fun adventure.

Maybe it can't be recreated, but it doesn't need to be, and it doesn't mean we can't have fun with this one without trying to dissect why it's NOT WORKING or whatever.

It's fine, let's just play.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

nerdbot posted:

It's okay that it got boring and uninteresting. That's fine. That's just what happens. We don't need to keep explaining it to ourselves. Most of these posts could've very well have just been emptyquotes. It's fine! Maybe they shoulda just given it a break after Red, but y'know, I'm glad we're trying Crystal anyway. :shobon:

I feel like all the people scrambling to eradicate Feraligatr are going about this the wrong way though. That's not going to fix anything. If Feraligatr gets boxed for good, we're just going to wind up with ANOTHER Pokemon getting ridiculously overlevelled. The reason Red's PC problems were funny was because every single fuckup was entirely due to lack of competence, not because of an intentional effort to sabotage the efforts.

People like scrappy underdogs who bumble to victory. To use a sports metaphor there's a reason everyone hates the Yankees

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It was a good run, but people actually doing fights in Democracy is the end for me. I was vaguely hoping that switching in a bunch of functional pokemon and fighting with things that don't oneshot enemies would be fun but they're doing it one move every minute or so and it's boring as hell.

Really sucks, I didn't start watching until way too late into Red and missed most of the good stuff happening :(

Anyone got any recommendations for other poo poo to watch? I function best with something to act as background noise pretty much round the clock.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Having problems with twitch today, anyone else have the same problem?

Can still see it from twitchplayspokemon.net though.

I'm not really feeling this game as much as I liked the previous one. I might follow it casually, but I think it's also the end of interest for me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I still think that forced democracy every hour is what's killing the excitment a LOT. When the anarchy <-> democracy slider was under the chat control, it was a lot more unpredictable. Especially since Crystal doesn't need even half the democracy that Red required. Especially not every loving hour.
I understand why the streamer chose to do this that way. But I think it was a bad decision.

That said, I have this running in the background since the very start. Mortys Gym was fun. Chucks was fun for a bit. Bumbling about Cinnawood with Feraligatr as our only pokemon, who was also poisoned, was exciting.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Totally agreed they should have given it a rest for a while but me I'd prefer doing some other series entirely like Final Fantasy Legend or something equally low on the rpg difficulty spectrum.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Magres posted:

It was a good run, but people actually doing fights in Democracy is the end for me. I was vaguely hoping that switching in a bunch of functional pokemon and fighting with things that don't oneshot enemies would be fun but they're doing it one move every minute or so and it's boring as hell.

Really sucks, I didn't start watching until way too late into Red and missed most of the good stuff happening :(

Anyone got any recommendations for other poo poo to watch? I function best with something to act as background noise pretty much round the clock.

Saltybet maybe

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oooh I've heard of that but never watched it, and from what I've heard it sounds like just what I need - something 24h that I can readily ignore without really missing anything, then look at when I need a break for a second.

E: Oh my god this is exactly what I needed, you're loving amazing for pointing me to it. Thank you so much!

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Hey, they actually managed to evolve Pidgey! And in anarchy no less.

• Locked thread