Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

VDay posted:

LW is good

Yeah...I think my only serious gripe is with clown car maps. I don't know if they are able to control the amount of spawns on a per map basis. It doesn't seem like it. Small maps can be absurd. Still, it makes me want to play it despite that because it breathes an incredible amount of life into the game. It's almost as if we got another expansion for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah there are definitely at least a couple of things that still annoy me, but the good outweighs the bad by a ridiculous margin. It's crazy how much the game improves by just throwing more into every aspect of it. More classes, more choices, more soldiers, more missions, more ways to deal with panic, more equipment, more ways to beat levels, etc. Agree about the small maps, although having 6-8 soldiers helps. Grenade-spamming Engineers are really good on those and are the only reason why I survived the burger king map when I got it early on.

Still trying to wrap my head around how I should be approaching the base building layer now that satellites aren't life or death and uplinks give a whopping 1 satellite by themselves, but I'm having an absolute blast so far with everything else. Can't wait to try Training Roulette once this playthrough inevitably falls apart (and they fix it in the next patch) and see what kind of bizzarro soldiers I can make with the new abilities they added.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 5, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

Honestly the resting mechanic is ok, it seems to be lessened and the time increase for taking soldiers already fatigued is not so bad anymore either. What gets me is that by month 2 you are seeing large UFOs with packs of 4+ thin men each of which have 6 or 7 health. The devs really don't seem to understand that cramming 20 aliens into a map designed for 7 doesn't improve gameplay. It just means there is a good chance you are going to set off 4 packs on your first move. This basically auto fails the mission with no possible way for the player to avoid the scenario. Congrats, you rolled a 1, game over, the end.

The air game suffers from this too. It is still quite possible for the first ufo you see to dodge/outfight all your starting planes.
Bring rockets and Engineers with Sapper. gently caress all the cover. Then two infantry can mop up pretty easily. The rest of your squad can do whatever, but I'm finding that cover removal+infantry is basically essential for those clown car maps.

dogstile posted:

Oh god, the long war EW is dickish. I got my first terror mission and you're still on ballistics by then. I went "cool" and stocked up on rockets.

It put me on loving newfoundland. Yes, they burst out of the sharks too.
Me too, I think that might be a scripted choice for the first terror mission. At least it uses the terror mission mechanics instead of the actual Newfoundland mission mechanics, minus the shark-bursting lid. Doing the full Newfoundland that early would just be rough.

edit: Yeah, where to go on the strategic layer is easily my biggest problem. I grabbed body armor because hey, why not? Plus the Thin Men interrogation gives you +lasers research so I figured I'd snag lasers quick after the capture tech. Except right now, with two labs, it takes 10 days to do the autopsy (which is a requirement for the interrogation) and lasers take like 14 days. I'm not sure the time investment is worthwhile, honestly, especially if I can snag a Muton and try to skip straight to Gauss.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 5, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Newfoundland mission seems like a big "gently caress you" in map form. I mean its a fun mission but I don't get how anyone that is playing on ironman is supposed to avoid taking tons of casualties the first time they do it.

At least if it shows up in an early month. Which it did for me.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Internet Kraken posted:

The Newfoundland mission seems like a big "gently caress you" in map form. I mean its a fun mission but I don't get how anyone that is playing on ironman is supposed to avoid taking tons of casualties the first time they do it.

Did it perfectly with no casualties first time in classic, maybe suck less B)

I could imagine all my squad members screaming in terror as I double moved them across the map

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Creep along the docks. If you've got a MEC, you can easily pop the sharks on the docks before you start the ones spawning from the whale. With nothing in your way, this means you can just double-move the whole way back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ravenfood posted:

Creep along the docks. If you've got a MEC, you can easily pop the sharks on the docks before you start the ones spawning from the whale. With nothing in your way, this means you can just double-move the whole way back.

I specifically mentioned the first time because I know its simple if you know what is going to happen ahead of time. I didn't. I was caught completely offguard by the Chrysalids spawning during the escape ahead of you, and none of my soldiers had the springy legs so they couldn't outrun the chrysalids coming from behind while also shooting the ones spawning in front. Also the mission came up sometime in the third month so my equipment wasn't advanced either.

EDIT: I just did a Terror mission in June that had 4 CYBERDISKS :wtc:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 6, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
When does the base invasion happen in EW?

edit: I just got finished assaulting the alien base and finished off EXALT (those maps were fun as gently caress btw) and right now I'm kind of just spinning my wheels trying to get weapon fragments for research.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

3Romeo posted:

Not long after you clear the alien base. Usually three-four weeks in my experience.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

3Romeo posted:

edit: I just got finished assaulting the alien base and finished off EXALT (those maps were fun as gently caress btw) and right now I'm kind of just spinning my wheels trying to get weapon fragments for research.

The aliens do it about a month after you did. Little less.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Who needs a 6 man squad? This 4 man challenge isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There's nothing I can't handle! I'm gonna breeze through this terror mission!

Oh. Hm.

...you're on your own civies.

3Romeo posted:

The EXALT maps are usually fun but they feel too easy. EXALT just charges in with little regard for safety and you can mow them down easily. The only guys you need to really worry about are the Heavies because they have explosives.

Punching EXALT goons out of the control point never stops being funny though. Especially when their corpses fly off the roof of a building.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Internet Kraken posted:

The EXALT maps are usually fun but they feel too easy. EXALT just charges in with little regard for safety and you can mow them down easily. The only guys you need to really worry about are the Heavies because they have explosives.

It really depends on what map you draw. I'm not sure how it usually goes, but I had four EXALT missions in my run.

The first one was sort of a stealth mission, with the saboteur starting on the opposite side of the map and having to tag two beacons on the way back to the rest of the squad's starting point. That was really cool, and I was disappointed that the rest weren't like that. Stealth works surprisingly well in XCOM.

The other three were a control point sort of thing that you're talking about, and those varied depending on the map. The first one had the control point in a separate room, and the second one on a balcony, and both of those were really easy to defend once I got there. The third one had the control point in the middle of a construction site, though, and that one was... hard. Anyone blocking the capture was a sitting duck for the EXALT on the outside, so I lost a fair amount of people on that one.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 6, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cleretic posted:

It really depends on what map you draw. I'm not sure how it usually goes, but I had four EXALT missions in my run.

The first one was sort of a stealth mission, with the saboteur starting on the opposite side of the map and having to tag two beacons on the way back to the rest of the squad's starting point. That was really cool, and I was disappointed that the rest weren't like that. Stealth works surprisingly well in XCOM.

The other three were a control point sort of thing that you're talking about, and those varied depending on the map. The first one had the control point in a separate room, and the second one on a balcony, and both of those were really easy to defend once I got there. The third one had the control point in the middle of a construction site, though, and that one was... hard. Anyone blocking the capture was a sitting duck for the EXALT on the outside, so I lost a fair amount of people on that one.

The first map type you describe isn't really a 'stealth' map unless you choose to play it that way. I always assumed that my saboteur would be in deep if he triggered an EXALT squad, so I always had him hole up and wait while the extraction squad blasted their way over to him, then covered him while he hacked the beacons.

In the construction site map, you know it takes EXALT a certain number of turns of sitting in the control point in order to hack it, right? You don't need to leave your people sitting in there all the time. I found that map to be a turkey shoot, since EXALT people in the center area are just as vulnerable as yours are.

Edit: I also find EXALT to be pretty easy in general, mostly because they're buggy as hell. Their AI seems suicidal, as mentioned above, and in my game they seem to spawn with their weapons unloaded- an EXALT unit's first action is always either reloading their weapon or throwing a grenade. :psyduck:

Cathair fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 6, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just had a super fun/tense bomb mission in Long War that had me down to 1 turn 3 separate times. I blame the fact that it's getting late, but my dumb rear end decided that it'd be a brilliant idea to bring along two snipers, with the logic being that with squadsight they'd just sit in the back of the map and pick everything off while my assaults, scouts, and infantry cleaned up and made their way to the bomb. Mission loads and it's the map that's just a deli/cafe with a big warehouse behind it, with a semi in between them. In other words, zero long sight lines except on either side of the buildings where there aren't any bomb delay points or enemies :suicide:

Ended up beating it with only one loss, a hero Scout who survived like 3 completely exposed/open shots on him and made a mission-saving defusal before finally getting picked off. I don't remember if EW bomb missions did this too, but the LW one dropped 5 thin men on top of me after I defused the bomb. That would've been a god drat nightmare except I got fairly lucky and had my sniper pick one off as he dropped, then an infantry guy get 2 crits on his two bullet swarm shots, leaving just two guys for everyone else to clean up.

Long (war) story short, don't bring two snipers on bomb missions thinking you're being clever and outsmarting the game. It's funny how much easier that mission would have been if I just had another infantry, assault, scout, or even engy instead of a sniper who got relegated to pistol overwatcher and managed to do like 2 total damage the entire time.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Cathair posted:

Edit: I also find EXALT to be pretty easy in general, mostly because they're buggy as hell. Their AI seems suicidal, as mentioned above, and in my game they seem to spawn with their weapons unloaded- an EXALT unit's first action is always either reloading their weapon or throwing a grenade. :psyduck:

That second part is not a bug--it's what the beacons do. They're an EXALT-wide Disabling Shot.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I found EXALT to become more dangerous once they get their first HP upgrade. Though I'm playing on impossible so I don't what it does on classic. I'm also still waiting for EXALT to get into plasma weaponry so I can farm their hopefully cool looking weapons.
I think the main problem with EXALT missions is that about 90% are just protect the data things. When you have to do the other mission type they actually act like sane enemies and try to kill you.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
EXALT never gets plasma, you should just assault their base if you can so you don't have to waste money on intel or deal with sabotage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Iretep posted:

I found EXALT to become more dangerous once they get their first HP upgrade. Though I'm playing on impossible so I don't what it does on classic. I'm also still waiting for EXALT to get into plasma weaponry so I can farm their hopefully cool looking weapons.
I think the main problem with EXALT missions is that about 90% are just protect the data things. When you have to do the other mission type they actually act like sane enemies and try to kill you.

Funnily enough, these are the Exalt missions I dislike the most, because it just becomes a shootout except they have no cover because i've got more rockets than they do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The control point EXALT missions are the only ones I like. The hack two node ones aren't hard, in fact they are probably easier, but they take WAY longer. If you're playing it safe because Ironman, you have to work your way to the operatives position so they don't get killed. Then you have to work your way to the nodes, overwatch spam at each one to kill the reinforcements, and then head back to the ship. Its usually pretty easy but it takes a lot longer than the control point ones because you have to inch along in case there just happens to be 9 EXALT guys chilling around the corner.

The control point ones force you to advance and secure a potentially dangerous position. The hardest part of these is usually the initial seize since you have to contend with the EXALT already on the map while making it to the control point in a timely manner. After that its easy though since the reinforcements are brain dead. They drop in with no cover and don't even overwatch spam like thinmen. If the reinforcements acted like normal squads and assumed defensive positions it would be more difficult but instead you just mow them down because they stand out in the open begging to be shot.

Cleretic posted:

That's one of my favorite ones just because snipers will drop onto the crane above the capture zone, and punching them off it with a MEC never stops being funny.

:frogout:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Punching EXALT goons out of the control point never stops being funny though. Especially when their corpses fly off the roof of a building.

That's kind of why I like them, actually. They're a chance to exhale after some tense alien missions. Three or four ITZ/Squadsight snipers with archangel armor floating over the encoder is really just a hoot.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Iny posted:

That second part is not a bug--it's what the beacons do. They're an EXALT-wide Disabling Shot.

No poo poo? Wow. I never would have made that connection- how do you get from 'you've disrupted their communications' to 'now they drop in with their guns jammed'? I thought that disabling the comms would delay reinforcement waves, or something sensible like that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cathair posted:

No poo poo? Wow. I never would have made that connection- how do you get from 'you've disrupted their communications' to 'now they drop in with their guns jammed'? I thought that disabling the comms would delay reinforcement waves, or something sensible like that.

Like i've said before

"poo poo, why the gently caress did we put radios in our mags".

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's just an abstraction of the fact that they're not receiving orders for one turn, becoming indecesive and divided.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Did they announce Brave New World yet?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
"Pvt Smith has Panicked!"
"Pvt Smith is having a Dram, not a Dam"
"Pvt Smith is resigned to his fate and is no longer panicked."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cathair posted:

The only way I made that connection what to go into the calculation for a chance to hit, and noticed the penalties being applied to an EXALT operative after hitting a transmitter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have nothing useful to add, but I made this for some reason.

Muton-chops

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The third one had the control point in the middle of a construction site, though, and that one was... hard. Anyone blocking the capture was a sitting duck for the EXALT on the outside, so I lost a fair amount of people on that one.

That one is pretty easy if you have 6 guys.

Punchy MEC on the suspended platform
Squadsight sniper on the roof of the single wide at the south end of the pit
The other guys are split into two north and two east
If my agent has memetic skin I just park him against the cover in the middle and hunker down every turn while invisible, if not he usually sits near the sniper to try and get a kill or two.

Once you wipe the initial group, they spawn from the north and east, with one or two guys appearing on the suspended platform (these ones auto-overwatch on drop in). You can usually kill them via overwatch as they come rushing in, and your mec can just punch the guys that spawn up there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have nothing useful to add, but I made this for some reason.

Muton-chops

When you think about it Mutons are pretty great in terms of their aesthetic design. I mean they took the ridiculous purple apes clad in green spandex from the original game and actually made them look intimidating.

Name is still silly though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Beagle's playing Long War if someone wants to see what it's like before trying it: http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

Or if you just want to watch him (probably) die a horrible, horrible death.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had a heavy floater under mind control after I killed everything else in the map, so I set it up for a six-way overwatch shot and had it grenade itself. I think the funniest part was how my sniper shot something like five seconds after the floater got rocked for 25 damage. It was like the ED-209 boardroom intro.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

VDay posted:

Beagle's playing Long War if someone wants to see what it's like before trying it: http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

Ugh, he's so bad at the strategy part of the game I can't see that going well for him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Ugh, he's so bad at the strategy part of the game I can't see that going well for him.

He just panned the camera over someone who's been flayed. How long's that model been in the game? :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

He just panned the camera over someone who's been flayed. How long's that model been in the game? :stare:

What exactly do you mean by flayed? I know this game doesn't shy away from gore but for the most part people just seem to die in a bloody mist. Only corpse severing I can think of is some mutilated cows.

VVV Oh :stare: I've never seen that before.

EDIT: This mod is pretty hilarious. Cowering in fear from a Drone :psylon:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 7, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly do you mean by flayed? I know this game doesn't shy away from gore but for the most part people just seem to die in a bloody mist. Only corpse severing I can think of is some mutilated cows.

It didn't have any skin, just exposed muscle. It was in a cargo container.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It looked like a piece of screaming beef jerky.

e: Also Beagle still does the thing where instead of taking a couple of bad shots and having a chance to kill something he instead just keeps his guys standing there until something bad happens and they end up dying anyway.

VDay fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 7, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nothing like spending 5 minutes trying to figure out how to capture an Elite Muton with your 4 man squad only to realize you forgot to equip an arc thrower :downsgun:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VDay posted:

I just caught the last five minutes before I went to work. First thing I saw was two of his troops surrounded by five Chryssalids. He dashed his Assault away in the hope of wasting all the othe aliens' Overwatches, but two hit him and he died, causing one of the trapped troops to panick. The other one ran away and was caught later ("went to sleep"), and only his sniper barely made it to the dropship :xcom:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Is there by chance an option somewhere to forceme to pick a research subject, like with Civ? I'm pretty sure I hosed up this Classic run massively, largely because I forgot to tell my researchers to actually research something at some point. So for god knows how long they'vejsut been sitting idle, and now I'm way behind on research and having to fight the base invasion with bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Is there by chance an option somewhere to forceme to pick a research subject, like with Civ? I'm pretty sure I hosed up this Classic run massively, largely because I forgot to tell my researchers to actually research something at some point. So for god knows how long they'vejsut been sitting idle, and now I'm way behind on research and having to fight the base invasion with bullets.

You should never be truly hosed on Classic, but you might want to start that one over.

• Locked thread