Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I'd be so excited if it weren't for the fact that the songs this band makes are incredibly awful. It's his time and everything but man, I wish that money would be put to better use for such a high talent.

Um, Freak Kitchen is a fantastic band. I'd donate if I had any money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey Animation Thread, I'm a big enough man to admit I was wrong and the Lego Movie was in fact pretty fantastic.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

axleblaze posted:

Hey Animation Thread, I'm a big enough man to admit I was wrong and the Lego Movie was in fact pretty fantastic.

drat straight.

I'm going to rewatch it Friday. I didn't see it in 3-D the first time around so I'm fixing that plus dragging a friend who would love it with me.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sadly for me my combination of near-sightedness and Astigmatism makes watching anything in 3D nigh-impossible, leaving me with a massive headache as a result.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Robindaybird posted:

Sadly for me my combination of near-sightedness and Astigmatism makes watching anything in 3D nigh-impossible, leaving me with a massive headache as a result.

You must hate this new 3-d trend then, huh? Honestly animated films are the only ones that I feel really add enough to be worth the 3-d experience.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
The first time I saw an animated movie in 3D was with Toy Story 3, and it was gorgeous. I'd been skeptical about seeing it like that but it really added a lot of depth to the already beautiful visuals, and it wasn't super in-your-face, so it didn't break my immersion like the movies that like to fling and poke stuff at the screen tend to do.

I feel bad for my old housemate though. She's blind in one eye, so if we had to see a movie in 3D, she had to pay extra for something she literally can't see.

She was so pleased when the 2DS came out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You must hate this new 3-d trend then, huh? Honestly animated films are the only ones that I feel really add enough to be worth the 3-d experience.

Yeah, especially when there's movies that only came out in 3D so if I want to see it, I pay extra for something I can't experience, and considering the process reduces the overall brightness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, especially when there's movies that only came out in 3D so if I want to see it, I pay extra for something I can't experience, and considering the process reduces the overall brightness.

Pick up some 2D glasses if you don't have them already, it flattens the image while eliminating the no-glasses blur.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

Pick up some 2D glasses if you don't have them already, it flattens the image while eliminating the no-glasses blur.

Do those work for imax and real3d? Because they're different. I brought a spare pair of glasses one time to test it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sylvain Chomet did an opening couch gag for The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOi5OF7gAiM

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sylvain Chomet did an opening couch gag for The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOi5OF7gAiM

Well, the couch gags are officially better than the actual show now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Das Boo posted:

It's been that way for so long it's not even funny anymore.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iVXcf8APs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

This is probably the most exposure Chomet will ever have in America.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
So any news on that Mr.Peabody and Sherman movie? It kind of looked okay from the trailer I saw in the Lego movie, but then again that's mainly because Patrick Warburton was voicing Agamemnon in it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God dammit, guys.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

achillesforever6 posted:

So any news on that Mr.Peabody and Sherman movie? It kind of looked okay from the trailer I saw in the Lego movie, but then again that's mainly because Patrick Warburton was voicing Agamemnon in it.

The trailers are really uneven in my opinion. When one makes me think it might be funny, another pops up with a sphinx farting joke and "His name rhymes with BUTT!" and I roll my eyes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
True art goes unappreciated in its time

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

God dammit, guys.

Why can't it be an Oscarina award?!?!?!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Mr. Peabody and Sherman is a film I really enjoyed! The animation is great and the script is pretty strong throughout except for a few mis-fired jokes (Including a Don't Tase Me, Bro reference that was dated three years ago, let alone now)

I will say that there are some very interesting plot elements that are present simply from presenting the story of a dog and his boy in a modern context. Ty Burell and the kid playing Sherman have some serious voice chemistry, and the cast is overall wonderful. I love love love Stanley Tucci and Lake Bell as Leonardo DiVinci and Mona Lisa.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

It got released a few weeks ago here in the UK. It's okay, a nice family film, with really good voice acting. Agamemmnon was an absolute delight, but even the child actors were incredibly strong.

Definitely for the younger set though; the 6 year old was enthralled, and laughed so hard she kept choking on her carton of juice, but the 12 year old wasn't as taken with it. Not a patch on Kung-Fu Panda, but well above that boring Rise of the Guardians thing from a couple years ago.

(However, we also got the full-length trailer for Dreamworks' How to Train your Dragon 2 in front of it; and that got all of our attention. It looked incredible on the big screen, especially the big flying into battle scene at the end)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It also sort of plays on the idea of adoption by parents who aren't considered the standard parental types (perhaps a single adoptive parent, or a same-sex couple) but in this case, it's a dog.

In the original show, it's unclear of how Sherman and Peabody came to form their relationship, but The film makes itthat Peabody fought hard to adopt Sherman and is his father in every sense of the word (except he doesn't like to be called Dad) and a major plot is that someone who doesn't approve of a dog adopting a boy wants to take Sherman away.

Mix in lots of fun time travel stuff that feels like a kid friendly riff on Bill and Ted, and it's an interesting combo. Not as strong as Kung Fu Panda or How to Train Your Dragon, but very solid family entertainment. I felt a bit daft seeing it by myself unlike The Lego Movie or a Pixar output, but I enjoyed it better than I think I'd have enjoyed 300: 302. The trailer is pretty misrepresentative of the film too. They even cut out the fart noise from the sphinx bit (the bit is still there, but they just shot out like a rocket. Peabody doesn't even say "We were the butt of that joke!"

Also: puns. Holy god, lots of puns. If you like puns, welcome to pun heaven.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bill and Ted was already a kid friendly Bill and Ted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In the original show, it's unclear of how Sherman and Peabody came to form their relationship

I watched a couple of the first episodes of Rocky and Bullwinkle a few years back when they put it on Netflix, and I'm almost positive that in the first Peabody's Improbable History that Peabody tells a story about adopting him. I can't verify that though since the show doesn't seem to be on Netflix anymore.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

raditts posted:

I watched a couple of the first episodes of Rocky and Bullwinkle a few years back when they put it on Netflix, and I'm almost positive that in the first Peabody's Improbable History that Peabody tells a story about adopting him. I can't verify that though since the show doesn't seem to be on Netflix anymore.

I'm also fairly sure that this is true (with a gag of the orphanage being similar to a pet shop). I think it's also the only time they explicitly acknowledged that Peabody's a dog, as the rest of the shorts never draws attention to it.

I'll say the Jay Ward shows aren't very good - with the completely bonkers story lines and humor being what saves it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Bill and Ted was already a kid friendly Bill and Ted.

Well, even more so. Bill and Ted had some stuff that would go over little kids head. The jokes in this are almost all aimed directly at them (except an excellent Stephen Hawking gag)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There was a new Boxtrolls trailer like 2 days ago and no one posted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_geARV7b4

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

There was a new Boxtrolls trailer like 2 days ago and no one posted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_geARV7b4

You know I always wonder, when they do mid-air shots for characters are they tied to strings and digitally removed or is there something else involved?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're attached to frames which are digitally removed.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Also: puns. Holy god, lots of puns. If you like puns, welcome to pun heaven.

Robindaybird posted:

I'll say the Jay Ward shows aren't very good - with the completely bonkers story lines and humor being what saves it.

They're sort of an acquired taste. The puns are true to form; every Peabody segment would end on a terrible pun after several minutes worth of setup.

In other words, you could say they're a shaggy dog story.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They actually show that process in the second trailer. The shot before they transition from "behind the scenes" to actual footage, shows the metal brace they use to keep the character in mid-air.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phobic Nest posted:

They're sort of an acquired taste. The puns are true to form; every Peabody segment would end on a terrible pun after several minutes worth of setup.

In other words, you could say they're a shaggy dog story.

*boiiiiiiiiiiiiing*

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just saw Peabody and Sherman today. It's actually pretty good despite the mediocre looking trailers. For once I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable How to Train Your Dragon style port to TV.

Also, yeah, LOTS of puns.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 10, 2014

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dreamworks made a short introducing the aliens that will star in Home.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/home-exclusive-introduction-video

Gotta say, not jazzed about it. Something about the Boov's design irks me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's very, very generic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The designs remind of what someone would create if they're parodying Teletubbies.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pick posted:

It's very, very generic.

That's probably it. They could really use some skin texture or something like that.

These (book illustrations?) look a lot better than the lumps of Play-Doh they've gone with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Winklebottom posted:

Dreamworks made a short introducing the aliens that will star in Home.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/home-exclusive-introduction-video

Gotta say, not jazzed about it. Something about the Boov's design irks me.

I love that the article actually acknowledges the existence of Flushed Away, which I had forgotten was a thing until this moment.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I love that the article actually acknowledges the existence of Flushed Away, which I had forgotten was a thing until this moment.

With good reason.

When will Aardman get around to making a new Wallace & Gromit? :argh:

I might be overly harsh on it simply because the Wallace & Gromit shorts and film are some of my favorites.
VVVVVVVVVV

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Flushed Away was pretty alright. It's Aardman's weakest but it still has alot of their charm and I still found it pretty entertaining.

Also those aliens from that Dreamworks movie are incredibly generic. They look like colors with faces and that's about it.

• Locked thread