Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Let's be honest here, Shaq is probably gonna fund 90% of it himself anyways and this is just a glorified preorder promotion.

I really hope he will because I don't think this campaign is going to make it otherwise! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Megazver posted:

Well, it's to Starbound what Terraria is to Minecraft. Looks pretty good. It might just make it.

So it's a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Occupation posted:

If it plays well and brings a certain level of iteration to the part it focuses on, then who the hell cares?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Occupation posted:

Megazver posted:

Well, it's to Quake what Doom is to Wolfenstein. Looks pretty good. Half-Life might just make it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Except I'm pretty sure Half-Life had a lot more to show than just some pretty concept art. The Planet^3 pitch video is quite polished but if you remove all of the pretty concept art and whatnot the actual game isn't really that compelling. Looks choppy, too.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

That Planets³ project actually made me think of the Yogscast's Kickstarter which made twice as much as Planets³ stated goal.

Currently Yogventures seems to be languishing in some sort of development limbo since the developers burned through all the money and had to go back to their day jobs.

Glad I didn't throw money at it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Monkey Man posted:

Is Barkley 2 DOA? Their site hasn't updated in six months and the release date is still listed as "early 2014".
Last real dev update was 3 months ago, not 6, although yeah it's still been a while.

Occupation posted:

It's almost like there are games that could be organized into collections based on shared traits, perhaps we could use some term to signify this, like..."genre"?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cicero posted:

Last real dev update was 3 months ago, not 6, although yeah it's still been a while.

They did send out an email update to their subscribers 5 days ago, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Broken Age is already 33% off on steam. It's $16.74 for the game and $20.09 for the Game+Soundtrack. It's $1.74 more than the game tier on the Kickstarter, but the Digital Soundtrack + Game combo is ~$10 cheaper than the Kickstarter price since you're not getting a "Making of" video.

Half the time when I see these games come out with a $10-15 game only tier I usually skip them because I know they'll be on sale after release. It's pretty neat watching the process with Cryamore, but things like this remind my why I don't back a lot of Steam/PC releases. By the time I would actually get around to playing them they'll be $5 on steam.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dehry posted:

Broken Age is already 33% off on steam. It's $16.74 for the game and $20.09 for the Game+Soundtrack. It's $1.74 more than the game tier on the Kickstarter, but the Digital Soundtrack + Game combo is ~$10 cheaper than the Kickstarter price since you're not getting a "Making of" video.

If by "making of" video you mean the behind-the-scenes development documentary, that was the main point of the kickstarter originally, and many people have said the best part of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dehry posted:

Half the time when I see these games come out with a $10-15 game only tier I usually skip them because I know they'll be on sale after release. It's pretty neat watching the process with Cryamore, but things like this remind my why I don't back a lot of Steam/PC releases. By the time I would actually get around to playing them they'll be $5 on steam.

Don't preorder games. That should be a hard and fast rule drilled into everyone nowadays but people still fall victim to preorders. Kickstarter projects are slightly different, because the amount of money they get beforehand directly influences how good the game will be. I'm sure most people who back KS projects don't care about sales happening not long after release because a large part of the reason they backed the project was to make sure it got as much funding as possible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't preorder games. That should be a hard and fast rule drilled into everyone nowadays but people still fall victim to preorders. Kickstarter projects are slightly different, because the amount of money they get beforehand directly influences how good the game will be. I'm sure most people who back KS projects don't care about sales happening not long after release because a large part of the reason they backed the project was to make sure it got as much funding as possible.

I think I absolutely got my money's worth from the Broken Age Kickstarter from the thing I was most interested in, the incredibly well done documentary and behind the scenes access.

Does that mean the 'game' product itself is worth the 15 or 20 bucks? I don't know, I'll let you know in few months when I play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just preordered the game months back and I'd say I got my money's worth on Part 1 alone.

But yeah, I'd say that only preorder if you're absolutely sure you'll like it and you'll play it when it first comes out; otherwise its a lot smarter to wait. Though in the case of Kickstarters they need the money to even exist in the first place, unlike plain pre-orders usually.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And hey if you're an artist, you can't pass up this steal of a lifetime!!

quote:

$6,500USD
Work as a Concept Artist
Work as a concept artist for Shaq-Fu! Join us at Big Deez offices, as well as working remotely, and collaborate with our artists to create concepts that we will use for the game We'll put you to work drawing and designing actual elements of the project! Plus, you'll get a credit as a concept artist in the game! And, if you can handle it, we might even have an opening for you at Big Deez! Plus a copy of the game, T-Shirt, free lifetime DLC and limited edition character and weapon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's ... odd. I wonder if they'd actually put you on their payroll.

hahaha of course not. :pcgaming:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I was just starting to forget those talons.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

That's ... odd. I wonder if they'd actually put you on their payroll.

hahaha of course not.

the $6500 covers the amount of money they'll pay you

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

senrath posted:

They did send out an email update to their subscribers 5 days ago, though.
Subscribers? So, not to backers? Odd.

edit: I don't see anything about subscribing on their website.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

You really need to fix the music on your videos. It's incredibly jarring and reflects poorly on the product!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I dunno. I'm perfectly happy to preorder a game by a developer that has a history of games that I've really enjoyed.

But yeah, for most games I'll wait until reviews start coming out before even thinking of buying.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Orzo posted:

You really need to fix the music on your videos. It's incredibly jarring and reflects poorly on the product!

I was using shadowplay to record the videos and it was making the sound pop. I'm using another program now and it's better.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Excellent, I was just pointing it out because I noticed that press article links directly to the video.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

Subscribers? So, not to backers? Odd.

edit: I don't see anything about subscribing on their website.

My mistake, I double checked the first email from them and it wasn't a subscription thing, it was a newsletter for everyone who pledged $40 or more during the Kickstarter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 reached another stretch goal and released a video about how they're going to use Projection Mapping to make the game look cooler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOa2-6lmvnI

If you're an adventure fan, you should definitely back this, by the way.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Looks like Mr. Raigada's Heart&Slash reached its funding goal. Congrats :golfclap:

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014
Heart&Slash just got funded! (by a surprise pledge, I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon, if at all).

Thank you to all of you who backed!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Even if ShaqFu doesn't get funded, at least this exists:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I'm not sure about Red Goddess. It LOOKS really pretty, but something about the gameplay being shown is reminding me of The Cave without the charm.

... also, I think this is the first game I've heard that licensed Ronald Jenkees music (that video uses "Stay Crunchy"). Feels kinda weird - but maybe no one else will recognize it, and it'll just be "good music" to them, who knows.

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014
Well, the video from their creative director is amazingly creative, and I think it shows the potential the game has better than anything on their Kickstarter page!

Gatito
Mar 29, 2010
Well, the festival of magic has returned with a little prize for backers of their original KS.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I'm not sure about Red Goddess. It LOOKS really pretty, but something about the gameplay being shown is reminding me of The Cave without the charm.

... also, I think this is the first game I've heard that licensed Ronald Jenkees music (that video uses "Stay Crunchy"). Feels kinda weird - but maybe no one else will recognize it, and it'll just be "good music" to them, who knows.

Looks pretty, has music by the Jenks. Sold.
I really like the music Ronald Jenkees makes, thanks for pointing it out! I probably would not have even clicked the link otherwise. I am a sucker for games with music I enjoy that also have either good gameplay or good aesthetic.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I remember that There Came an Echo had Jenkees listed as doing original compositions for it, but looking at it now it appears they had licensed some exsisting music from him for their previous game. Also I totally clicked the link to that first video just to hear Stay Crunchy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I browsed the Games page on Kickstarter today! Here are some nifty and/or terrible things that I found.

Thing #1 that showed up on the list was, God help us all, this thing, which... well, just listen: "Swords of Edo is a fully featured visual novel, with bishoujo artwork and a core ecchi battle system for PC, Mac & Linux." Yeah. They're already at £1.8K out of £1K because the £200 tier comes with a figure that's... well, just go to the page and scroll down (though I'd think twice if you were at work). Also the thing's already in beta so this is a glorified pre-order sale so that's dumb too.

Coming down to the other end of the Weeaboo Scale, there's Koe (声), a JRPG about Japanese that looks like it's serious about both. It purports to be both a good game and a good tool for learning, sounds pretty interesting on both counts, looks nifty even with placeholder art, and has fairly smashed its £35000 goal in 8 days so clearly somebody is taking it seriously. Also it looks like they're working on a system that allows you to form words with hiragana to use as spells, so that's nice I guess. Mostly, though, I just hope this succeeds so there can be a good antidote to that game that came up in the Steam thread the other day that was basically just ecchi masquerading as an edugame about Japan.

Ahahahaha no. It's a "gaming app" only in the loosest possible sense and also this is a classic terrible Kickstarter. Isn't there a dedicated thread for really bad Kickstarters somewhere? This is basically that.txt.

I don't know quite what to make of Kill the Bad Guy. I only looked at the page in the first place because there was an amateurish error in their abstract and I thought it'd be good for a laugh, and yeah they don't have the most dynamic sounding pitch and they really should've stressed certain details upfront (like how this is actually a puzzle game) but they have a concept that sounds neat and gameplay that's functional and they're already a ways developed and they have a demo. They have the airs of competence and amateurishness all at once but I don't feel like checking out their demo just now so I guess it's down to someone here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

These all seem good to me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Darkest Dungeon updated with a stretch goal met and an explanation of how the game world will work. I probably sound like a shill at this point but holy hell I like everything I read about this game.

The Darkest Dungeon doesn't even have a description. It's just there. :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Darkest Dungeon updated with a stretch goal met and an explanation of how the game world will work. I probably sound like a shill at this point but holy hell I like everything I read about this game.

The Darkest Dungeon doesn't even have a description. It's just there. :allears:

The updates for this are frequent and awesome. I love the grimdark feel to everything and I think it will be a very strong showing. I hope they release more info about the overworld stuff and I wonder if you can "clear" any of those areas and bring some prosperity back to the surface, probably not though.

Juan Raigada
Feb 14, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

The updates for this are frequent and awesome. I love the grimdark feel to everything and I think it will be a very strong showing. I hope they release more info about the overworld stuff and I wonder if you can "clear" any of those areas and bring some prosperity back to the surface, probably not though.

Yeah, this guys have the best sounding Kickstarter I've seen in while!

BrunchTime833
Oct 9, 2003

*rejoins the ancestors*
Hey everyone. I just recently started my team's first kickstarter. It's a deep-RPG/dating sim aimed at Bronies and Pegasisters, but now that it's panning out, it actually seems like it might be fun for pretty much everyone into dating sims. I'm starting to get the jitters about raising the funds, as I didn't really think through marketing much, just been so focused on the project and wanted to get everything rolling as soon as possible... Dunno what I expected... Like $2000 to roll in unsolicited within an hour of activating the kickstarter??? *facepalm*

Anyway, would love if you guys would check this out and spread the word to anyone who would be interested. We've got a really talented, dedicated team of individuals working tirelessly to finish this thing ASAP. It's been a long road, and it's nice to finally have the finish line in sight. The challenge of putting this all together has been equally rewarding and humbling. As the lead programmer, my head is spinning and I'm seeing pony-related function calls in my sleep...

We're crazy passionate about what we're doing. Hit me with any questions you might have.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2110528317/dark-skyes-an-epic-brony-dating-sim

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You're supposed to source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well I have that in my browsing history now.