Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

xxEightxx posted:

Ed: look at the shot, no color except for the picture. The bedpost, top of the bed frame, and frames on the opposite bed create lines that point right at it. You are blaming all of that on lazy art direction, set design, or accident\coincidence?

Set design is often symbolic rather than literal. Visual motifs will be repeated to draw connections. This is especially true for a show as visually rich and well-directed as True Detective.

For example, set designers could have been instructed to take isolated images like the wall-painting, like the spiral, and possibly other things we haven't discovered, and use them to fill the incidental paintings. This isn't a literal "clue" to solve a presumed mystery, it could be to provide a sense of dread and the sense that the house is being invaded by evil.

moths posted:

One thing I absolutely love about this show is how everything is crafted with an incredible level of detail. And the show makes very little effort to call attention to what's important and what isn't. The first time we saw Errol, we had nothing suggesting he was a villain except the NOTICE KING sign. And that was just caught this week maybe?

So consider: The camera slowly zooms in on the barbie gangbang, then cuts to Marty looking worried as Rust's voice-over starts a full-minute monologue about how he's grateful his daughter was spared pain, to die as a happy child, "trouble with dying later is you've already grown up. Damage is done, it's too late."

The craftsmanship and writing have been consistently phenomenal. Good writing and editing doesn't just cobble scenes together wherever. I feel safe in assuring you that placement of those scenes was intentional, and a production error didn't cause the overlapping audio and soundtrack.

But the thing about a shot like that is it's open for interpretation, it's not explicitly saying anything. One of those interpretations is Marty's daughters were exposed to an evil world. Another interpretation is that Marty's daughters were exposed to an evil world in the form of the exact same cult Marty is investigating. Either interpretation is supported by the sequence, but the latter involves a lot of plot-level presumptions and a big coincidence. It's all in the eye of the beholder in the end, but I think the former, more general interpretation is stronger.

The show is saying Marty's daughter is troubled, but why is she troubled? Well the show shows us a really emotionally contentious home life, a father who is prone to acts of rage and disappearing for long stretches of time, and a history of approaching an eventual divorce. I would suggest the show is being very explicit as to why Audrey is troubled: her father is an rear end in a top hat and a homicide detective, and that cumulatively fucks you up. Incidentally, this flows with the theme of fathers, methheads and detectives alike, harming their children. It's really no mystery. The show might as well have popped up a title card that said "Marty is a terrible father and husband, and it damages the women in his life." The cult stuff, on the other hand, is pure speculation, and I think it detracts from the very emotionally real stuff we have been shown.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
As an aside, I'm reading "The King In Yellow" and while the first four/five stories are pretty good, the last half of the book is more about Americans in Paris than anything else and not terribly good so far. "The Yellow Sign" is probably the best of the stories.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

As an aside, I'm reading "The King In Yellow" and while the first four/five stories are pretty good, the last half of the book is more about Americans in Paris than anything else and not terribly good so far. "The Yellow Sign" is probably the best of the stories.

Yeah, that's why he was forgotten (although he was commercially successful in his day). Chambers never wrote horror again, as he was far more interested in the Americans in Paris stuff, than in the weird stuff. We only know him because Lovecraft recommended him as an influence.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Chef Bromden posted:

I watch on HBOGo, and the quality was so bad it was impossible to see his scars. I only looked for a high res picture because he was all ominous and had popped up back in 95.
Not saying his scars were hard to see, just that HBOGo is a lovely service.

I've watched every episode on HBO Go and never have any quality issues unless it's like right after the episode airs.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Guess what?

The spiral drawing in Hart's house is a mistake and unintended.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/true-detective-alex-digerlando-set-design-props-interview.html

For those tracking the appearances of the spirals, you can cross off the one you found in Hart’s house. That was a mistake. “I didn’t even notice that one,” DiGerlando said. “We got a whole bunch of artwork from the daughter of a friend of mine down the street and used it to decorate Marty’s house. None of us put it together that there was a spiral in there.”

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That only tells me that the Yellow King influences the HBO Prop Department.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

vanbags posted:

I know I'm probably late, but the ending of episode 3 was horrifying poo poo.

This is the scariest show on TV. I haven't seen this kind of fear since LOST was in its hey-day, like the first scene exploring the hatch.

I think people are really overstating Audrey's relevance to the plot. I think it will be very interesting to see her artwork, but sometimes kids are hosed up because thats how they are. Having a poo poo dad doesn't help either.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

escape artist posted:

To whoever PMed me and asked me why I don't post in this thread:

Read the thread.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

shitthatdidnthappen.txt

This isn't even the first thread he's done this in, either :rolleyes:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

gariig posted:

What is Maggie's maiden name? Did they ever say?

Tuttle

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Me in Reverse posted:

Guess what?

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/true-detective-alex-digerlando-set-design-props-interview.html

For those tracking the appearances of the spirals, you can cross off the one you found in Hart’s house. That was a mistake. “I didn’t even notice that one,” DiGerlando said. “We got a whole bunch of artwork from the daughter of a friend of mine down the street and used it to decorate Marty’s house. None of us put it together that there was a spiral in there.”

The author's still dead and so on, but it's funny that they come out and say this. Wonder if the dolls and the threesome part just happened to be in the show as well?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

The author's still dead and so on, but it's funny that they come out and say this. Wonder if the dolls and the threesome part just happened to be in the show as well?

Fukunaga does a spit-take while watching the dailies and yells "What's Matthew McConaughey doing in this show? He wasn't meant to be here!"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Me in Reverse posted:

Guess what?

As a warning there are more than a few spoilers here, like motivations for the killer, and shooting locations. If you care about that sort of thing you should probably avoid reading it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The spoilered parts in the post aren't that spoilery if anyone cares, but the link inside might be worse, idk.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

sector_corrector posted:

As a warning there are more than a few spoilers here, like motivations for the killer, and shooting locations. If you care about that sort of thing you should probably avoid reading it.

Agreed, though if you're caught up to the current episode, the link doesn't spoil anything, it just discusses creating the locales and the planning that drove them. It's the sort of stuff I like reading about, the shooting environments for the show all felt so natural, and yet, that time they put into developing them is what makes them feel right. Never occurred to me that the burned out church wasn't just a burned out church they found and decided to shoot in.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah the church was pretty convincing at first. On a second viewing I found my self picking it apart as it occurred to me that it's unlikely to be real because it would be dangerous for the cast and crew to work in. The overgrown foliage around it really sells it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah unless I wasn't paying attention that article doesn't really spoiler anything for the finale.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

The Dave posted:

Yeah unless I wasn't paying attention that article doesn't really spoiler anything for the finale.

I didn't see anything either. Great read though, very interesting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This isn't even the first thread he's done this in, either :rolleyes:

Nope, it's not. Because it's not the first time this has happened.

quote:

I noticed a lack of escape artist posts in the thread* so was just curious if you've had a chance to check it out. I think it'd be right up your alley!

* Links to this True Detective thread.

quote:

Dear Escape Artist,

You are one of the best posters in TV and at least two of us are waiting for you to comment in the thread because you are smart and bring up good topics. Please come to the thread because many people respect you, including myself.

Someone had to buy me a loving avatar to start posting in here again. You guys can feel free to change it to red text if it helps untangle your panties.

I'm sorry for the disruption. You can go on and continue your 2 month running joke about ties.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

quote:

Me in Reverse,

You are the best poster on the SomethingAwful forums. I would like to personally invite you to my home where you can sleep with my wife, sister, and mother. Additionally, I will be replacing all moderators with you, and deleting TVIV because all the threads are horrible.

Love,
Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

*buys self an avatar*

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Okay well if those exist then you probably should have sent your comedic genius reply to them with a reply PM instead of posting it in here to blow yourself about how people ask you to post here.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

escape artist posted:

I'm sorry for the disruption. You can go on and continue your 2 month running joke about ties.

Hey now, Tie Theory is the only polish we have on this turd of a thread.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

beanieson posted:

Hey now, Tie Theory is the only polish we have on this turd of a thread.

Touche.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Okay well if those exist then you probably should have sent your comedic genius reply to them with a reply PM instead of posting it in here to blow yourself about how people ask you to post here.

I'm not here to blow myself. I'm here to tell you to step it up, because you're dragging this place down. It used to be the one decent place you could have a discussion about high-quality TV without all the GBS spillover.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 7, 2014

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

The True Detective thread is the Yellow King of worst threads.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Periodiko posted:

For example, set designers could have been instructed to take isolated images like the wall-painting, like the spiral, and possibly other things we haven't discovered, and use them to fill the incidental paintings. This isn't a literal "clue" to solve a presumed mystery, it could be to provide a sense of dread and the sense that the house is being invaded by evil.

Unless the show people come out and say all these things are not clues linking Marty's daughter to the Yellow King & Co., I'm not coming off my opinion that she was a witness or involved somehow. How, and to what extent is up for grabs, I just think there is too much at this point (spiral drawing aside) to write it off. I'm hoping I can find the time to marathon this before Sunday, I think watching the early episodes with a what-we-know-now approach may make things more clear one way or another.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

escape artist posted:

Touche.

I'm not here to blow myself. I'm here to tell you to step it up, because you're dragging this place down. It used to be the one decent place you could have a discussion about high-quality TV without all the GBS spillover.

:fuckoff:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

At least we can agree on something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Kill Bill, Goodfellas...I'd say it's up there with Children of Men and The Protector when it comes to absolutely insane single-shot action sequences.

This is the king of single-shot sequences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Unless the show people come out and say all these things are not clues linking Marty's daughter to the Yellow King & Co., I'm not coming off my opinion that she was a witness or involved somehow. How, and to what extent is up for grabs, I just think there is too much at this point (spiral drawing aside) to write it off. I'm hoping I can find the time to marathon this before Sunday, I think watching the early episodes with a what-we-know-now approach may make things more clear one way or another.

What if nothing comes of it in the finale? Wouldn't that be enough for you to believe that maybe it's been over thought?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Phanatic posted:

And this is the queen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ

spoiler: They couldn't even get it in a true single cut...

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Phanatic posted:

Holy poo poo. I have got to see this.

I'm sure someone has posted the Touch of Evil opening shot, right? I felt like the shot in Episode 4 was a straight up homage to that scene.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Periodiko posted:

Set design is often symbolic rather than literal. Visual motifs will be repeated to draw connections. This is especially true for a show as visually rich and well-directed as True Detective.

But the thing about a shot like that is it's open for interpretation, it's not explicitly saying anything. One of those interpretations is Marty's daughters were exposed to an evil world. Another interpretation is that Marty's daughters were exposed to an evil world in the form of the exact same cult Marty is investigating. Either interpretation is supported by the sequence, but the latter involves a lot of plot-level presumptions and a big coincidence. It's all in the eye of the beholder in the end, but I think the former, more general interpretation is stronger.

The show is saying Marty's daughter is troubled, but why is she troubled? Well the show shows us a really emotionally contentious home life, a father who is prone to acts of rage and disappearing for long stretches of time, and a history of approaching an eventual divorce. I would suggest the show is being very explicit as to why Audrey is troubled: her father is an rear end in a top hat and a homicide detective, and that cumulatively fucks you up. Incidentally, this flows with the theme of fathers, methheads and detectives alike, harming their children. It's really no mystery. The show might as well have popped up a title card that said "Marty is a terrible father and husband, and it damages the women in his life." The cult stuff, on the other hand, is pure speculation, and I think it detracts from the very emotionally real stuff we have been shown.
This is the best post of the thread IMO. I agree with it all and wish I could have put it so well.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Periodiko posted:

This is what I was trying to say in my previous post but I'm retarded. Thank you for this post.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Really the point of that post is less about the show and more about the audience -- the goon population (and general 'internet people', and people in general) are focused more on the gamification of every experience than observing the narrative.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Me in Reverse posted:

Really the point of that post is less about the show and more about the audience -- the goon population (and general 'internet people', and people in general) are focused more on the gamification of every experience than observing the narrative.

Wait what? We're talking about the imagery used in the show and what (if anything) is being conveyed by that. How is that 'gamification' and not 'observing the narrative'?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

People viewing a detective show as a puzzle? You don't say!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

xxEightxx posted:

Wait what? We're talking about the imagery used in the show and what (if anything) is being conveyed by that. How is that 'gamification' and not 'observing the narrative'?

Everything HAS to be a puzzle to be solved, nothing can exist without being a clue to be placed together on an internet forum. There's more interest in being a participant who involves himself in the mystery than in letting it unfold.

EDIT: Audrey HAS to have been abused by her grandfather who is part of the ritual abuse cult, because the imagery which is being used would be *meaningless* without it. Because if it doesn't lend itself to being a piece of the puzzle to be solved, something that points you toward the Final Boss of True Detective: The Game, then it's less important and relevant to the show.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 7, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Me in Reverse posted:

Everything HAS to be a puzzle to be solved, nothing can exist without being a clue to be placed together on an internet forum. There's more interest in being a participant who involves himself in the mystery than in letting it unfold.
I agree wholeheartedly. It reminds me of Twin Peaks. So many people focused on the murder of Laura Palmer, trying to figure it out, that they missed out on what actually made the show great. What made it more than your generic whodunnit.

And naturally, when Lynch was forced to reveal the killer by network people, the show went to poo poo.

I read Matthew M. won't be returning for Season 2. That makes me happy. Rust Cohle is already an icon, and if Matthew returns, his performance will be inevitably compared to the first season. That was one of the many problems the most recent season of American Horror Story ran into.

edit:
Remember the prominent theme of this show is "the damage that men do to women and children." I think we're seeing it on many levels. Audrey being involved with the cult would feel cheap, because it would trivialize the characterization (and amazing performance by Woody) of Martin Hart.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 7, 2014

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

moths posted:

People viewing a detective show as a puzzle? You don't say!

It's not a detective show, it's a show about two detectives. They're the important part, not the case. The guy who wrote the show even said they're not trying to fool people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

escape artist posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. It reminds me of Twin Peaks. So many people focused on the murder of Laura Palmer, trying to figure it out, that they missed out on what actually made the show great. What made it more than your generic whodunnit.

And naturally, when Lynch was forced to reveal the killer by network people, the show went to poo poo.

I read Matthew M. won't be returning for Season 2. That makes me happy. Rust Cohle is already an icon, and if Matthew returns, his performance will be inevitably compared to the first season. That was one of the many problems the most recent season of American Horror Story ran into.

Cohle gets turned into a dresser drawer in Episode 8, that's why he's not in Season 2.

• Locked thread