Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HenessyHero posted:

What's on the other end of the slider? German Barry White?

Brian Blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Stroth posted:

Brian Blessed

Okay, this needs to be an option for every species and gender.

The romance scenes would be amazing.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
New trailer

It's entirely fly-overs of various places in the game. Doesn't reveal anything that we don't already know, as far as I can tell.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

necessary voodoo posted:

New trailer

It's entirely fly-overs of various places in the game. Doesn't reveal anything that we don't already know, as far as I can tell.

Thanks. We've only been talking about it since last page.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 669 days!)

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Am I the only one who thought the environments in the trailer didn't look all that great? I mean sure they looked okay, especially the foliage. But the general quality just didn't impress me. I guess I'm just spoiled by CD Projekt graphics...

Now if the whole game could take place in the woods and on the coast, it'd be great. Just stay out of those really dull looking castles.

you're not the only one. looks cartoony and plastic to me. i prefer origin's art design.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Can I still tell someone I want to be a dragon?, honestly after DA2 and ME3's plot devices I can't help but be cautious.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Leelee posted:

5. The names of the Inquisitor are Trevelyan (Human), Lavellan (Elf), Cadash (Dwarf), and Adaar (Kossith)

So you can't input your own name? Dang.

I suppose its not a big issue; I expected everyone to just call the PC "Inquisitor" anyway, but locking off names seems like a strange decision. They all seem androgynous enough for either gender. I wonder if this implies they're attaching histories to the names as well.

So long as the character is still physically customization, I'm not too bothered.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure those are family names. You should still be able to input your first name, but I doubt either will matter.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm pretty sure those are family names. You should still be able to input your first name, but I doubt either will matter.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Spaceking posted:

So you can't input your own name? Dang.

I suppose its not a big issue; I expected everyone to just call the PC "Inquisitor" anyway, but locking off names seems like a strange decision. They all seem androgynous enough for either gender. I wonder if this implies they're attaching histories to the names as well.

So long as the character is still physically customization, I'm not too bothered.

Those are last names. You couldn't put in a last name in any of the Dragon Age games so far either. If you were human Noble, you were a Cousland; if you were a dwarf noble, Aeducan; a human mage was Amell, connecting them to DA2's Hawke. Don't remember the others offhand.

Guarantee you can put in the first name.

edit: Personally not loving any of those names, though. The human and elven names sound too frou frou fancy pants and the kossith sounds like a silly fantasy orc name. Dwarf name for best name.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 7, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you play as a human, the game had better end with a Fereldan secret agent dropping your character from a giant antenna.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Huh, I didn't know anything about the name Trevelyan, so I looked it up, and it's actually a Cornish name meaning "Village of Elian," referring to the Catholic saint. That's actually kind of an appropriate name for a presumably religious character. I wonder if that was actually intentional or if Bioware is going to plead ignorance again like they did with Morrigan's name.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lotish posted:

Huh, I didn't know anything about the name Trevelyan, so I looked it up, and it's actually a Cornish name meaning "Village of Elian," referring to the Catholic saint. That's actually kind of an appropriate name for a presumably religious character. I wonder if that was actually intentional or if Bioware is going to plead ignorance again like they did with Morrigan's name.

"For Ferelden, Morrigan?"

"No. For me."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

Personally not loving any of those names, though. The human and elven names sound too frou frou fancy pants and the kossith sounds like a silly fantasy orc name. Dwarf name for best name.

Plus the dwarf Inquisitor presumably being a Cadash will come up. They have a Thaig after all, and if Shale appears, she was Cadash too.

I hate myself for knowing that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

I am nearly 100% certain this was intentional.

This is across all media (literature, television, games etc.), but creators just love taking obscure but significant names for their characters. In Morrigans's case it was somewhat problematic for a party member to be named after a... being associated with battle, strife and discord, so that may be a reason for denying to have done it intentionally. Trevelyan on the other hand seems fine, a connection to the church should not surprise on an inquisitor.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Torrannor posted:

This is across all media (literature, television, games etc.), but creators just love taking obscure but significant names for their characters. In Morrigans's case it was somewhat problematic for a party member to be named after a... being associated with battle, strife and discord, so that may be a reason for denying to have done it intentionally. Trevelyan on the other hand seems fine, a connection to the church should not surprise on an inquisitor.

Wait, I only just noticed this. Morrigan wasn't named after the Irish Morrigan? But it makes so much sense considering her character. Surely that can't be a coincidence? Whatever they might say.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
All I know is that I'm going to play Trevelyan as a straight-up renegade or its equivalent.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HenessyHero posted:

All I know is that I'm going to play Trevelyan as a straight-up renegade or its equivalent.

So you'll be the average City Elf PC from Origins, but with short ears? :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Wait, I only just noticed this. Morrigan wasn't named after the Irish Morrigan? But it makes so much sense considering her character. Surely that can't be a coincidence? Whatever they might say.

Gaider tried to say he didn't know anything about the name Morrigan and he just picked it because he thought it was cool, but I've always found that hard to believe. Especially given the significance of her character.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Like in all fantasy RPGs, characters are named after the designers' various pen & paper characters.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
"tastes like... strawberries." - best romance dialogue of the future.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CottonWolf posted:

Sometimes creators are a bit miffed when fans understand an important plot point that was thought to be hidden and supposed to be revealed later, so that everyone can see just how brilliant the writer really is.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Krowley posted:

Like in all fantasy RPGs, characters are named after the designers' various pen & paper characters.

I like that Obsidian is creating a (whole?) language for Pillars of Eternity, so things will sound Heroic Fantasy-ish but be internally consistent. I hate BioWare writers for being lazy and making Not Westeros.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Furism posted:

I like that Obsidian is creating a (whole?) language for Pillars of Eternity, so things will sound Heroic Fantasy-ish but be internally consistent. I hate BioWare writers for being lazy and making Not Westeros.

Thats not fair, since Westeros is just England just like The Dragon Age Setting is just notEngland, notFrance, and notIslam encroaching on them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

KoB posted:

Thats not fair, since Westeros is just England just like The Dragon Age Setting is just notEngland, notFrance, and notIslam encroaching on them.

Come on, they even use the "Ser" title. It's fine to get inspired by other works, don't get me wrong, but they could be a bit more subtle about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I noticed in DA2 they started to move away from "ser" in favor of "serrah," though they may have been using that as a regional thing to distinguish the Free Marches from Ferelden.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KoB posted:

Exactly. That's like accusing Hawkeye of copying The Arrow, ignoring that they are both ripping off Robin Hood.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Furism posted:

Bioware created a language for Jade Empire. How it will end up being used is more important than a language being created.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lotish posted:

Gaider tried to say he didn't know anything about the name Morrigan and he just picked it because he thought it was cool, but I've always found that hard to believe. Especially given the significance of her character.

He's done that about a lot of characters though, so I'm apt to believe him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I guess that since Morrigan is such a common fantasy name, it's entirely possible it just sounded cool to him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, I didn't know anything about Morrigan as-a-name until today, and I'd used it for two separate character names in games going back years.

It's just a neat sounding name.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well maybe I was expecting too much of the writers of a multi-million dollar project, but given that Bioware (and Gaider's express MO in particular) is to make a pastiche of characters and plots they like from contemporary media rather than knowing anything about the primary sources they draw from, it shouldn't be too surprising. It was 2009 that I called shenanigans, but Bioware has lived down to expectations since then.

They clearly put some thought into picking Trevelyan, though; I can't imagine they picked up a copy of Goldeneye and said "Sean Bean is the Human Inquisitor."

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's the same poo poo as naming your dude Ares and not having any idea of the greeks, dumb as gently caress, not a huge deal or anything but still dumb as gently caress

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Furism posted:

Come on, they even use the "Ser" title. It's fine to get inspired by other works, don't get me wrong, but they could be a bit more subtle about it.

If the Blight was spreading from the north not the south then the Grey Wardens rip off would have been obvious to the point of a legal danger for Bioware.

The GRRM inspiration was much more obvious in DA:O though. DA2 didn't seem to inspired by anything really. One could almost call it uninspired.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Gaider probably got the Morrigan name from that Capcom fighting game and not irish mythology. :laugh:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Vitamin P posted:

DA2 didn't seem to inspired by anything really. One could almost call it uninspired.

I don't know if it's intentional that the prince of Starkhaven had his entire family killed off but it made me laugh.

Conlang is something that's very hard to pull off well, especially in fantasy where you're going to be compared against Tolkien. Even Tolkien's languages looked aesthetically bad in their early versions before he'd had a couple decades to refine them. Cribbing off English is fine, in this case I think the family names aren't as evocative as they could be but we'll see if the background makes up for it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lotish posted:

They clearly put some thought into picking Trevelyan, though; I can't imagine they picked up a copy of Goldeneye and said "Sean Bean is the Human Inquisitor."

No, I will be genuinely surprised if this is not exactly what happened.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

"For Ferelden, Morrigan?"

"No. For me."

Welp. We got a next thread title.

Dragon Age Inquisition: "For Ferelden, Morrigan?" "No. For me."

As for me, I'm actually looking forward to this game. Is it worth playing through Dragon Age 2, though? Or just wait for Gibbed to make a save editor?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

First Bass posted:

Is it worth playing through Dragon Age 2, though?
No. It just isn't a good game.
Bioware is working on a site called Dragon Age Keep which will allow you to create a custom wordstate to import in DA:I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Play Dragon Age 2. It's a great game to make you laugh at the absurdity of everything ever.

Just don't play it seriously. Go in expecting comedy, not epic adventure.

• Locked thread