Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I had a dude bring matching pennies for everyone to wear and understandably no one wanted to wear his dumb clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
There are not enough people in my town to play with two teams so we never get any problems like that.

THE RED MENACE posted:

Shoe talk: does anyone have the new Kobe's? They look pretty boss but I can't justify $250 shoes when I don't have access to an indoor court :negative:

Those the 9s? I can't find them in stock anywhere, the greys look incredible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

I had a dude bring matching pennies for everyone to wear and understandably no one wanted to wear his dumb clothing.

For a league thing or just a pickup game? Because if it's for pickup that's lame as gently caress

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

For a league thing or just a pickup game? Because if it's for pickup that's lame as gently caress

There's no way that's pickup...I hope not anyways.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

Pickup but he was 16 and smelled funky

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I hope that was the last time he showed his face at that court.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Well, I am officially joining a basketball league that starts in April. I am 29 and haven't played an organized game of basketball since I was a Junior in High School. I was a PG and will most likely reprise my role in the league. However, getting my ball handling skills back to what they were might prove to be challenging. Luckily I have access to a free open gym less than 5 miles away.

I am mainly just looking for shoe suggestions. I went to Dicks Sports and tried on a few pair. I really liked the feel and comfort of the CP3.VI AE; however, I am worried that there isn't enough ankle support for someone that hasn't maintained an athletic build. Hyperdunks seem to be highly reviewed online. I tried them on, and they felt decent, but it kinda felt like they would hinder sprinting. They just felt a little too.. constrictive? Maybe they have a break in period? Any other shoes I should look at? I am looking in the $90-$120 range.

For what its worth I am 5'10" with an average to slim build. Just recently started getting back into shape after 11 years of smoking and knee surgery.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Sypher posted:

Well, I am officially joining a basketball league that starts in April. I am 29 and haven't played an organized game of basketball since I was a Junior in High School. I was a PG and will most likely reprise my role in the league. However, getting my ball handling skills back to what they were might prove to be challenging. Luckily I have access to a free open gym less than 5 miles away.

I am mainly just looking for shoe suggestions. I went to Dicks Sports and tried on a few pair. I really liked the feel and comfort of the CP3.VI AE; however, I am worried that there isn't enough ankle support for someone that hasn't maintained an athletic build. Hyperdunks seem to be highly reviewed online. I tried them on, and they felt decent, but it kinda felt like they would hinder sprinting. They just felt a little too.. constrictive? Maybe they have a break in period? Any other shoes I should look at? I am looking in the $90-$120 range.

For what its worth I am 5'10" with an average to slim build. Just recently started getting back into shape after 11 years of smoking and knee surgery.

I wear a pair of 2012 Hyperdunks. You really must lace it all the way up to the top, that way even with the lace tight, you'll still get adequate ankle movement. It's definitely not the most comfortable pair of shoes, but it does break in a bit.

I will always remember the pair of 1999 Reebok Iversion Answer III (DMX cushioning) I wore in middle school. Those were honest to God the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn to this day (the movement I got from those shoes were amazing). But then again I haven't tried many pairs other than Hyperfuse and Hyperdunks and cheap And 1's.

Having done the whole light weight thing, I think I'm ready to try to maximize comfort again. Anyone have recommendations? I prefer shoes with wider bottoms and the Hyperdunks do have that right.

danucleus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 4, 2014

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I have the current CP3's (CP3 VII I think) and they are really comfortable, didn't have any real break in time and have remained comfy a few months down the track, getting a good 3 hours of ball in a week. Before that I had the Kobe 8's and these are much nicer to wear

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

I hope that was the last time he showed his face at that court.

Nah him and his friends show up constantly. They're probably the oddly athletic stoners of their class because they're remarkably good at basketball despite reeking of pot and being pudgy/skinny as a rail. One of their dudes is 6'2 and can dunk sort of, another is 5'4 and absolutely flies through the air, and the pudgy kid who brought the pennies passes bullets like Ginobilli.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

EMC posted:

I have the current CP3's (CP3 VII I think) and they are really comfortable, didn't have any real break in time and have remained comfy a few months down the track, getting a good 3 hours of ball in a week. Before that I had the Kobe 8's and these are much nicer to wear

I gotta give those a try then. I also want to try the Under Armor shoes. I hear those are great as well.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Welp there was one pair in my size left so I couldn't help myself

About to go play in them but so far the fit is PERFECT. They're noticeably springy even when walking, and jumping feels like you're on a trampoline. They looks super sick with jeans too but there's not a chance I'm wearing them outside. Quality is outstanding (first pair of Jordans) they just look and feel like a premium shoe.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

After being cleared by the physio, who said my surgically repaired was 'basically normal', I went and sprained my good ankle and it's very slow to heal. Annoying. The surgery ankle gets leaned on more now and it gets sore very quickly so now I'm completely gimped out

edit: Those shoes are very nice

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 7, 2014

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Creepy Goat posted:

About to go play in them but so far the fit is PERFECT. They're noticeably springy even when walking, and jumping feels like you're on a trampoline. They looks super sick with jeans too but there's not a chance I'm wearing them outside. Quality is outstanding (first pair of Jordans) they just look and feel like a premium shoe.

Those are dope.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

Use more socks, even if they fit.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I have arch support socks that cut off at the ankle under the dri-fits!

Bizort what leg work do you do in the gym? My legs are still like noodles after losing a stone and a half with malaria. Been doing lots of lower-weight reps on the leg press, extension & curl. Box jumps seem to annihilate me though, and my vertical is abysmal. I'm 5'8" and can get around the court pretty easily, but the bulky players (200lb+) just throw me off balance when trying to shoot and defend because I don't have the leg strength & balance to stand against them.

oh good, I hate extensions. My trainer got me doing looong leg extension sets and never even mentioned squats :psyduck:
\/\/\/

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 7, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Creepy Goat posted:

. Been doing lots of lower-weight reps on the leg press, extension & curl. Box jumps seem to annihilate me though, and my vertical is abysmal.

Put some weight on your back and squat.

E: Leg extensions aren't gonna do poo poo for you.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Creepy Goat posted:

Bizort what leg work do you do in the gym? My legs are still like noodles after losing a stone and a half with malaria. Been doing lots of lower-weight reps on the leg press, extension & curl. Box jumps seem to annihilate me though, and my vertical is abysmal. I'm 5'8" and can get around the court pretty easily, but the bulky players (200lb+) just throw me off balance when trying to shoot and defend because I don't have the leg strength & balance to stand against them.

Squats (bar with weights on your shoulders) are the biggest thing. I'm told that you start at a fairly comfortable weight and do 10 squats. Give yourself at least a minute to reset and add another 5 kgs (convert to lbs. so whatever that is, sorry, I know). Do another 8 squats with the extra 5 kgs. Rest another minute. Add another 5 kgs, this time do 6 squats. Rest. Add another 5, do 4 squats. Adding the weight is what builds muscle. From my experiences in playing against guys who could dunk with ease and then me asking them what they did to get to that stage like I'm the loving kid in the Mean Joe Green Coke commercial, they always said to do squats. The squats I do twice a week.

I do 3 sets of 10 box jumps twice a week. Definitely do these. I had to do them in high school and they helped a lot. Very necessary. I believe the key is when you do the jump to the top of the box, hold your position, with your knees bent, for ~3 seconds, then back to normal, make yourself upright, hop off, etc. Preparing to jump, your knees should be bent about 90 degrees and you jump with full force, full extension, full power. I also do lunges with a 5 kg medicine ball held at full extension above my head, 3 sets of 10 on each leg twice a week. loving dead lifts, which are awful. Same weight and reps progression as the squats, twice a week. Stretching exercises but with weights as well. Sumo squats, 4 sets, once doing 10, then 8, then 6, then 4, so same progression as the squats again, twice a week. It's basically a whole program designed to solely make me jump higher.

I have the upper body of a developing 13 year old, although rehab has kind of built me up a bit to the point that I can't joke about it as much, but my legs have always been muscular from playing so many sports growing up so I have a good foundation to build on. If your legs are small then the muscle training may wear you out quickly. When I'm done I try to have a protein bar or shake within 30 minutes but I don't actually know if I'm benefiting from that or not. I don't know poo poo about protein and all of that.

I've found that the leg press doesn't do a whole lot. When I was rehabbing my ankle to get flexibility back I had to do a lot of stuff on it but now that I'm on muscle and weight training I'm off of that machine completely so if I were you I might re-evaluate doing that.

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 7, 2014

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

I don't think leg machines help too much with vertical, even bodyweight squats will help more. As for taking hits, getting your vertical up won't help too much, you will have to bulk up at some point.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for the great reply! Definitely seemed a bit too simple to just sit back on a machine and pump my legs back and forth. II can power my dribbles through big dudes just by pounding the ball precisely at speed, but as soon as I go for a pull up or layup the big dude just forces my legs to flail and I lose my balance.

Competitively most guys barely scrape 6' here, think the tallest I've played against was 6'4" so it's just getting enough vertical to clear their block attempts. Most of them can't jump for poo poo either since they're all upper body 'aesthetically' built.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

In the meantime, master the art of the pump fake. In the midst of your pump fake, get a bit low, gather yourself and your balance, and when you jump, really power yourself up. If you go up weak in basketball you will die. Practice this so you're not out of control when you do it or you'll roll an ankle, or just be conscious of making sure you land with two feet and not one then the other. Your legs might not be strong enough to take it.

Basketball is awesome because there's usually a way around any deficiency, including height. You just have to get a bit creative.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

If you really want to elevate rather than bulk up you're also going to need to train yourself to translate your vertical into game situations/with the ball. I have a 36 inch vertical, but I have a ton of trouble translating that to the court because I haven't taught myself to elevate properly off the dribble.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Creepy Goat posted:

oh good, I hate extensions. My trainer got me doing looong leg extension sets and never even mentioned squats :psyduck:
\/\/\/

I'm 5'9 and not that buff but I destroy bigger guys. It's all about getting lower than them. Most big guys on the court aren't agile or quick on their feet, so if you put a butt into their thigh and back them down, chances are they're gonna stumble and not get their entry pass that cleanly. Then you just pick them and move it down court while they chug along behind you. The lower center of gravity will usually make you win out despite a lack of leg strength.

If they are stronger in their legs and you can't back them down, just try to get position. Look at how Lebron does ball denial and copy that. Most guys can't throw good entry passes and being in the proper position will allow you to pick them all game long. If they do get the ball and they start backing into you, put your hands up or start swiping. Most casual basketball players can't back down worth a poo poo because they lose their dribble so easily. If they don't lose their dribble, having your hands up is about the best you can do as a small guy down low.

For offense you really gotta run them ragged. I'm pretty lovely at taking it to the hole but I move around so much off the ball that any big guy covering me is usually drenched in sweat by the time the game is over. Eventually they stop playing me tough on my shot and back off. That's my time to shine by clanking most of my jumpers.

I suck at offense :/

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

being big and able to enter a post up off the dribble is probably my favorite and most useful skill. I've trained my skillset so that I can play basically any position 1-5 in pick-up and its a ton of fun.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

being big and able to enter a post up off the dribble is probably my favorite and most useful skill. I've trained my skillset so that I can play basically any position 1-5 in pick-up and its a ton of fun.

There's nothing I hate more than the biggest guy on the court taking PG duties away from me.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I am pretty tall and have very long arms but short fat guys are my loving kryptonite with that low center of gravity. They always outrebound me and score on me inside. I'll block their shot more often than others but I still can't get around them to get the rebound afterwards so it's useless

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

We're just about to get back in season over here and I'm so excited / scared. I'm going to start playing everyday during my lunch break to get my jumper back and I'm in my first adult league ever (at the age of 22). Should be a great season. Cats in New York can ball.

Doltos posted:

There's nothing I hate more than the biggest guy on the court taking PG duties away from me.
I only do it when its clear that the PGs defender is killing him and our chances of winning the game. Handle is all practice so if you can't dribble without getting pickpocketed or picking it up in the backcourt it doesnt matter what your size is. I can keep my dribble alive for an eon.

The weakest part of my game is probably decision making in the half court. I kind of just float around a lot on offense, setting picks, but am never getting the ball in a position where i feel i can get easy buckets. If I score its usually on a midrange jumper or a drive from the perimeter. I just never got that feel for the game.

BIZORT posted:

I am pretty tall and have very long arms but short fat guys are my loving kryptonite with that low center of gravity. They always outrebound me and score on me inside. I'll block their shot more often than others but I still can't get around them to get the rebound afterwards so it's useless

it's like the 6'1 fat guys that kill me, because their center of gravity is still so low yet they have the height and upper body immobility that prevents me from just using my shoulder to shepherd them out of the way. Fat people in general kill me as a slasher type player that routinely is roped into playing center.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I don't know if I gloated over this yet and there aren't many people in this country that I know who play basketball so I am going to tell you strangers.

In an organized pickup game a couple of days before I sprained my good ankle I played a very good hour-long pickup game in which I dominated more or less, defensively and offensively. Not so much scoring, although I could do that, but I was finding every open guy possible and got a ton of easy layups for my team. I was the tallest guy out there and played the biggest and I was setting everything up. Really cool feeling.

As I said, it was organized so there was a clock and score was being kept. My side was up 2 with like 10 seconds left when the other team stole the ball and had a fast break. One guy was just ahead of me and received the pass and I was closing in on him. He went up for a weak layup (go up strong in basketball or you will die) and I elevated with him and blocked the gently caress out of his stupid layup. The whole place went nuts and the buzzer went off. I saved the game. It was especially great because of the ankle rehab and being in the process of regaining my vertical and I did that. loving awesome. I was gassed with two minutes left in the game and it took everything I had to elevate for that block.

mynameisjohn posted:

I only do it when its clear that the PGs defender is killing him and our chances of winning the game. Handle is all practice so if you can't dribble without getting pickpocketed or picking it up in the backcourt it doesnt matter what your size is. I can keep my dribble alive for an eon.

The weakest part of my game is probably decision making in the half court. I kind of just float around a lot on offense, setting picks, but am never getting the ball in a position where i feel i can get easy buckets. If I score its usually on a midrange jumper or a drive from the perimeter. I just never got that feel for the game.
We are complete opposites. I can dribble the ball but it's not a strength for me whatsoever and I always give up the dribble too soon so I rely more on the low post, cuts to the basket, and lazy midrange jumpers. Things where I don't have to handle the ball. However, I know what to do with the ball when I have it and am very good at finding guys. I've become especially fond of whizzing the ball right past my defenders ear into the paint and hitting a guy for a layup. If you throw the ball very close to your own defender you'd think they would pick it off, and guys who play a loving lot usually will, but their own reaction is to move their head away or they swipe at it half a second too late. I can never get it to work on black guys, though. Like, every time, they almost catch the loving ball in the air on me.

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 7, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On the flip side going up weak with a pump fake is the best way to pump fake since everyone is looking to swat that poo poo.

mynameisjohn posted:

I usually give up the ball because my handle is so weak. I practice non stop with it but I can never transfer how smooth I am in practice to the court. That being said I'm pretty sure I could play decent organized PG just because of my fast break. I'm a slick passer and I understand passing planes due to football. I also get a bunch of really easy fast break layups because it's so easy to hit the hole while people are shuffling back on D.

All of this completely goes out the window when I play competent basketball players but I feast on the usual teenagers, old dudes, random old asian dudes, and inner-city kids that come to my courts.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Random gripe that your post inspired for some reason:

Point guards that give you a low bounce entry pass as a big man on a smaller defender. Like everyone I play with does this and its the most annoying poo poo ever and they think the turnover is somehow your fault when it automatically takes you longer to get the ball than your smaller defender and even if you get it you lose the position you had. Just give me a sharp chest pass, a higer bounce, or keep the ball moving

Doltos posted:

I usually give up the ball because my handle is so weak. I practice non stop with it but I can never transfer how smooth I am in practice to the court. That being said I'm pretty sure I could play decent organized PG just because of my fast break. I'm a slick passer and I understand passing planes due to football. I also get a bunch of really easy fast break layups because it's so easy to hit the hole while people are shuffling back on D.

All of this completely goes out the window when I play competent basketball players but I feast on the usual teenagers, old dudes, random old asian dudes, and inner-city kids that come to my courts.

my dribble isnt incredible strong compared to some of my (better) peers, but I've developed counter moves to defensive techniques. For instance: If a man plays you to your stronger side you dribble right at him until he reaches, protect the ball (i usually go sideways and lead with my weak shoulder), transfer behind the back to the weak hand and either go for the drive or go back in between the legs if you can only finish with your right.

your dribble can be weak as gently caress, but if you know where to keep the ball your opponent will never get it.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 7, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

Random gripe that your post inspired for some reason:

Point guards that give you a low bounce entry pass as a big man on a smaller defender. Like everyone I play with does this and its the most annoying poo poo ever and they think the turnover is somehow your fault when it automatically takes you longer to get the ball than your smaller defender and even if you get it you lose the position you had. Just give me a sharp chest pass, a higer bounce, or keep the ball moving

Really? I almost never see a bounce pass in pickup. It seems like everyone likes to bullet that poo poo in regardless of the situation. I usually only feed my bigs on a bounce if they're cutting across the paint, not while they're backing down into it. A backdown is almost always going to be a floater to their open hand or a sharp drive back-step that turns into a bullet pass to the chest.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

On the flip side going up weak with a pump fake is the best way to pump fake since everyone is looking to swat that poo poo.

If you can palm the ball you will fake people out of their shoes with ease.

cisneros posted:

I don't think leg machines help too much with vertical, even bodyweight squats will help more. As for taking hits, getting your vertical up won't help too much, you will have to bulk up at some point.

Generally speaking it is preferable to do freeweights to machines in pretty much every circumstance. You're especially going to want those supporting muscle groups for stuff like basketball since isolated muscle development will not really help for basketball.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If you make your big man bend down at all to catch an entry pass then you have failed miserably. The guard who drives in, sees me coming in behind him and passes it to my loving feet is the guy I want to punch in the face. And he'll keep doing it

Entry passes are probably pretty rare in pickup. If it's done it's usually so the others can cut around him and if the guy has any awareness whatsoever he can find the open guy for a layup and basically do that for an entire game and not be able to stop it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

If you can palm the ball you will fake people out of their shoes with ease.

Yeah I ain't fuckin Jordan though. I have massive hands and can palm the ball but not like, keep it in my palm while doing the fake. That's next level poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
oh my god the low pass thing is my biggest gripe ever because I have a really hosed up Mike Miller-esque back and then I get these passes from 5'2" guys that are at my loving knees and of course it either gets past me or someone steals it because holy poo poo I am 6'4" at least get that poo poo up to my waist level. I have been playing with some of these people for four years and they still do it. If I complain enough about it then they start winging it like 8 feet in the air and then it's still my fault that I can't get all of those passes either since some rear end in a top hat is normally got their forearm in my back and is pushing me away from the pass. What ever happened to passing to someone's strong hand or their center of body mass?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Doltos posted:

Yeah I ain't fuckin Jordan though. I have massive hands and can palm the ball but not like, keep it in my palm while doing the fake. That's next level poo poo.

Yeah, that takes more than big hands. You've got to have an incredible and specific kind of dexterity to just wave the ball around like that. There's a reason you don't see hardly any NBA players do it too.

The guy who commented on how knowing where to keep the ball can compensate for even the weakest dribble is totally right. I self-admittedly have a horrible handle, you won't find me crossing anyone over or doing any sort of strong dribble moves. I'm working on it, but I just never developed the feel for it. But I'll almost never be forced to pick up my dribble, or turn it over that way. If you practice the fundamentals and can read the defender, it's really not hard to just keep your weak-rear end dribble away from his hands and use your body to get where you want to go.

The flip side of that is it limits what you can do (hence the working to improve), but there's definitely ways to not be a complete liability handling the ball on the perimeter even if your dribbling is kind of poo poo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

rscott posted:

oh my god the low pass thing is my biggest gripe ever because I have a really hosed up Mike Miller-esque back and then I get these passes from 5'2" guys that are at my loving knees and of course it either gets past me or someone steals it because holy poo poo I am 6'4" at least get that poo poo up to my waist level. I have been playing with some of these people for four years and they still do it. If I complain enough about it then they start winging it like 8 feet in the air and then it's still my fault that I can't get all of those passes either since some rear end in a top hat is normally got their forearm in my back and is pushing me away from the pass. What ever happened to passing to someone's strong hand or their center of body mass?

Some people just really never learned to throw an entry pass to someone posted up. I've seen guys who are otherwise really good passers stop and just look baffled before tossing me some weak bounce-pass poo poo that gets picked off.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I mean, when you're at home and toss someone their keys, you don't throw them at their loving feet. It's not strictly a basketball thing. I don't loving get it. It's infuriating. If that ball is passed to me below my stomach then you're a loving idiot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, that takes more than big hands. You've got to have an incredible and specific kind of dexterity to just wave the ball around like that. There's a reason you don't see hardly any NBA players do it too.

I was just speaking generally. People expect that when the ball goes up it's leaving your hands but if you can palm it then you can get fancy. Palming while doing post moves is nuts.

Mandrel posted:

Some people just really never learned to throw an entry pass to someone posted up. I've seen guys who are otherwise really good passers stop and just look baffled before tossing me some weak bounce-pass poo poo that gets picked off.

fundamentals y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

gently caress fundamentals

• Locked thread