Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Here is what I decided to go with for the Infinite deck:

Deck: Infinite

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Forest
8 Island
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
2 Mizzium Skin
2 Simic Charm
4 Triton Tactics

//Creatures
4 Axebane Guardian
4 Elite Arcanist
4 Hover Barrier
4 Meletis Charlatan
4 Scholar of Athreos
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Wall of Frost

//Side Board

//Sideboard
2 Mizzium Skin
2 Simic Charm
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Nylea's Presence
3 Ready // Willing
1 Phalanx Leader
1 Vanguard of Brimaz

Display deck statistics

Using Scholar in the deck as the bomb allows some use while the combo is getting setup which is nice instead of having to pocket a bomb in hand until you are ready. She also grants more survivability and should make for a much easier match against aggro which I am mostly facing in my local meta. Also the combo kicks off easier as you dont have to draw your deck to find geyser or hydra. Introducing white also opened up some unique choices for sideboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Mindisgone posted:

Here is what I decided to go with for the Infinite deck:

Deck: Infinite

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Forest
8 Island
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
2 Mizzium Skin
2 Simic Charm
4 Triton Tactics

//Creatures
4 Axebane Guardian
4 Elite Arcanist
4 Hover Barrier
4 Meletis Charlatan
4 Scholar of Athreos
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Wall of Frost

//Side Board

//Sideboard
2 Mizzium Skin
2 Simic Charm
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Nylea's Presence
3 Ready // Willing
1 Phalanx Leader
1 Vanguard of Brimaz

Display deck statistics

Using Scholar in the deck as the bomb allows some use while the combo is getting setup which is nice instead of having to pocket a bomb in hand until you are ready. She also grants more survivability and should make for a much easier match against aggro which I am mostly facing in my local meta. Also the combo kicks off easier as you dont have to draw your deck to find geyser or hydra. Introducing white also opened up some unique choices for sideboard.

How on earth are you using Chained to the Rocks with no mountains?

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 7, 2014

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

VVV

Mindisgone posted:

Nylea's presence although it is a stretch. At that point I may as well just run Hero's Downfall or Dreadbore but I thought it was a cute combo to get some card draw in there.

Sounds like a game of rat trap. You'd be better off running Detention Sphere. Don't overly complicate mana costs.

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 7, 2014

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Null1fy posted:

How on earth are you using Chained to the Rocks with no mountains?

Nylea's presence although it is a stretch. At that point I may as well just run Hero's Downfall or Dreadbore but I thought it was a cute combo to get some card draw in there.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm looking at throwing this together for tomorrow, but I'm short on the legion's initiatives. If I can't dig any up, what can I substitute?

rw devotion

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think you can productively run Hold the Gates when there are only three gates in your list. The chance of having Hold the Gates, one of your gates in play, and 1 toughness + vigilance actually making a difference, seems really low.

If you can't get Legion's Initiative, you probably want more Boros Charm, as that also fills the "save my creatures from Supreme Verdict" role that you'd otherwise be lacking.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

kizudarake posted:

I'm looking at throwing this together for tomorrow, but I'm short on the legion's initiatives. If I can't dig any up, what can I substitute?

rw devotion

Yo bruh, if you want to trade for an Initiative I have one up for trade (couldn't PM you so that's why I'm posting), if you find trading more convenient for you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kizudarake posted:

rw devotion

Mainboard Mizzium Mortars over Anger of the Gods. (Personally, I don't run Anger at all since you don't want to kill your own dudes.) You want more Boros Charms even if you only sideboard them. Drop Hold the Gates. You want max Nykthos (if you can get them).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I pulled out Hold The gates and thunderous might, as thunderous might was what I'd substituted for 2 of the original 4 legion's initiative. I put three boros charms in, pulled out two anger of the gods, and put in two more Mizzium mortars.

What should I remove for more Nykthos?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Boxn posted:

Yo bruh, if you want to trade for an Initiative I have one up for trade (couldn't PM you so that's why I'm posting), if you find trading more convenient for you.

I'm going to consider it based on what I find today. I'd prefer buying from you to trading, if it comes to that. My email is my user name at gmail.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kizudarake posted:

I pulled out Hold The gates and thunderous might, as thunderous might was what I'd substituted for 2 of the original 4 legion's initiative. I put three boros charms in, pulled out two anger of the gods, and put in two more Mizzium mortars.

What should I remove for more Nykthos?

Guildgates. Tap lands don't help you much after turn 1 because you want to kill your opponent as fast as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a turn 4 or 5 kill because the land I drew was a Temple of Triumph which prevented me from dropping Fanatic on curve.

I don't run any guildgates, but it is dependent on how many white spells you want to mainboard. For comparison, my deck is:

2 Legion Loyalist
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Purphoros

2 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortar
2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Nykthos
12 Mountain

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

AlternateNu posted:

Guildgates. Tap lands don't help you much after turn 1 because you want to kill your opponent as fast as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a turn 4 or 5 kill because the land I drew was a Temple of Triumph which prevented me from dropping Fanatic on curve.

I don't run any guildgates, but it is dependent on how many white spells you want to mainboard. For comparison, my deck is:

2 Legion Loyalist
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Purphoros

2 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortar
2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Nykthos
12 Mountain

Thats a lot of Scry Lands...Don't you worry about drawing them when you need something to play right then? I tried running 3 in Murdergoats and ended up going down to 2 because I just can't stand drawing one after turn 2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Thats a lot of Scry Lands...Don't you worry about drawing them when you need something to play right then? I tried running 3 in Murdergoats and ended up going down to 2 because I just can't stand drawing one after turn 2.

Not really. I can easily drop them turns 1 or 4 or after I have Nykthos online. A lot of turn 4s I would rather drop a second Boros Reckoner in preparation for double Fanatic turn 5, so the 1 lost mana doesn't hurt. And the scry keeps me from drawing land past my 4th or 5th since I they are unnecessary 90% of the time. (The other 10% being when I'm out of creatures and have Hammer out.)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AlternateNu posted:

2 Legion Loyalist
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Purphoros

2 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortar
2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Nykthos
12 Mountain
I don't see the point of BTE in this deck since you're only chains are more BTE and Mortars. I get that the theme here is Red Devotion, but it might help to have something like Firefist Striker main over Frostburn just to help smooth turn 2 BTE drops.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

OssiansFolly posted:

I highly doubt people will hate me more than the other players at the table. I don't know if you recall but I am the guy that has to deal with Zur the Enchanter, Azami Lady of Scrolls (search for an instant win condition), Grimgrin, Talrand (he has 42 counters in his deck), and that crap. I try and build decks that I enjoy without the really stupid gimmicks, but my friends just like being dicks I guess...

As the owner of a Grand Arbiter deck your friends will hate you. If are lucky enough to get Sol Ring in your opening draw you can potentially drop Arbiter on turn 2 and build from there.

I actually dismantled my Arbiter and turned it into a Ravnica Senate/Government theme with Gwafa Hazid at my general. I'm never planning to win as my only win con is to Filabuster counter Azor Elecutor to 5.

All in all it's pretty fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I actually dismantled my Arbiter and turned it into a Ravnica Senate/Government theme with Gwafa Hazid at my general. I'm never planning to win as my only win con is to Filabuster counter Azor Elecutor to 5.

I cannot accept Gwafa Hazid, rumored to be Alaran, as the leader of a Ravnican body of government unless you show me his long-form Ravnican birth certificate.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm trying to build a grand arbiter stasis prison deck. I already have the stasis, and I figure I should have chronotog, kismet, blind obedience, imposing sovereign and whatnot in there as well just to give everyone a "gently caress you." The rest of the deck is going to be various other hate bears and poo poo like trinisphere, winter orb, lodestone golem, ghostly prison, tangle wire.

Basically I hate fun and having friends.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

As the owner of a Grand Arbiter deck your friends will hate you. If are lucky enough to get Sol Ring in your opening draw you can potentially drop Arbiter on turn 2 and build from there.

All in all it's pretty fun.

See in a normal circle I can see how it isn't fun, but when 2 people at the table are running upwards of 70 combined counters it basically makes the game come to a complete stand still while they stall until they do 1 damage a turn and kill everyone with Commander damage or find their instant win combo...

Making them pay more do do stuff will actually make the game more enjoyable for the other 2-3 of us at the table.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus

OssiansFolly posted:

I don't know why but I enjoy making EDH decks. I'm going to be building a Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck next. Seems like it would largely be a control deck which is opposite from what I am used to playing. I look forward to being that guy at the table countering and controlling for once.

I played against one on MTGO last night. It was annoying.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Olothreutes posted:

I'm trying to build a grand arbiter stasis prison deck. I already have the stasis, and I figure I should have chronotog, kismet, blind obedience, imposing sovereign and whatnot in there as well just to give everyone a "gently caress you." The rest of the deck is going to be various other hate bears and poo poo like trinisphere, winter orb, lodestone golem, ghostly prison, tangle wire.

I just added Stasis, Icy Manipulator, Vedalken Mastermind, and Temporal Adept to my Zur deck. I still need to find my Frozen Aether and Kismet Minion of Leshrac and Trickbind, which is my favorite combo ever, also just got added. I've never even heard of fun. Eventually I'll add Spear of Heliod back with Opalescence and Enchanted Evening for a super lame deck.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So MURDERGOATS with the white splash... I have been thinking of potential cards I can put in to experiment with, here are some of the thought processes I have been going through over the last few days-

1. Obzedaddy- Pros- Huge beatstick, can win games by himself, can recur every turn to do 4 to opponent and gain 2 life with purphoros on the field. Can't die to doomblade or ultimate price.

Cons- Is it really the right way to go with the deck? Also trying to force it in a deck with molten birth is asking for the greediest mana base in the world.

2. Angelic Accord- Pros- Synergizes well with purphoros and trading post discard effect to produce angel tokens which FLY, which seems a huge barrier for this deck to overcome without removal, fliers and tramply guys, add in warleader's helix for even more fun times.

Cons- Again, it is horribly durdly and is a complete non-bo with every other card in the deck and it would need a lot of adjustment for a card that at max would run 2 of.

3. Chained to the rocks- Pros- Removal for enchantments which is very important with gods running around the place, as well as removing anything else. With the foundries/crypts the mana base won't be affected in any way.

Cons- It's not a instant/sorcery, so it doesn't work well with young pyromancer, uh... that's all I can think of.

4. Devout Invo- hahahahaha no.

5. Boros Charm- Pros- Wrath protection, nice 4 damage to face, works well with young pyromancer.
Cons- It doesn't remove anything or create tokens- it would be quite difficult to cut in maindeck, perhaps it would good in the SB against U/W control?

6. Elspeth and Assemble the legion are obvious inclusions, 2 of and 1 of respectively. Both can destroy games with purphoros out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mikujin posted:

I don't see the point of BTE in this deck since you're only chains are more BTE and Mortars and Fanatic and Hammer and Purphoros and motherfucking Nykthos and Stormbreath. I get that the theme here is Red Devotion, but it might help to have something like Firefist Striker main over Frostburn just to help smooth turn 2 BTE drops.

I fixed that for you...

And I don't drop BTE turn 2...ever. Even if it is the only two drop in my hand. I would rather wait a turn for Reckoner, then drop BTE on 4 with Nykthos out to toss out a Stormbreath or Fanatic.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Zoness posted:

I cannot accept Gwafa Hazid, rumored to be Alaran, as the leader of a Ravnican body of government unless you show me his long-form Ravnican birth certificate.

Do you take Bribes? :ninja:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

Might as well throw in Linvala. A combo of Magus of the Moat + Archtype of Imagination, Spelltithe Enforcer, Chancellor of the Annex, Iona, and Thalia while you're at it.

Oh yeah, don't forgot about Teferi + Knowledge pool and might as well throw in a Dovescape for maximum gently caress you to your friends.

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 7, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/safety-dance-2/ So I looked up BlueInk Alchemists idea for a aura deck and updated it a little, adding hero of iroas and eidolon of countless battles. What other cards from BOTG that could be useful in this deck? I am thinking sunbond or ghostblade eidolon personally.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Samael posted:

m.goats durdles

I might try Obzedaddy as a one of in my current RBW Murderdudes deck, for the reasons you already outlined. The blink effect is a p. good interaction with Purphoros and having the alternate wincon in the event they remove Purphoros also seems strong.

I've also tried Boros Charm in the main and board and it ended up being a stone blank whenever I had it out. Not too worried about board wipes when you have things like Elspeth or Assemble spewing out tokens.

Actually, how does Boros Charm interact with Akroan Horse in the event of a Supreme Verdict?

I think I'm going to actually try updating my list tonight, since it looks like Brimaz has come down in price pretty significantly on MODO and I've been wanting to jam him in there for a while now.

I had originally cut all the Trading Posts from my white list as well, I think I'm going to add one back and maybe try out a Chromatic Lantern too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gyshall posted:

Actually, how does Boros Charm interact with Akroan Horse in the event of a Supreme Verdict?

the horse is under an opponent's control usually, so it wouldn't be indestructible after you resolved boros charm, but the tokens it produces that you control would be.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm tinkering with an Oloro EDH deck that I intend to use for casual play. I'm trying to keep it to cards that are under :10bux: each, or that I already have. The decklist is the deck as it currently stands. There might be stuff in there that no longer is super useful, as it is left over from a previous tinkering. I plan on adding an Exquisite Blood as soon as I can find one. I don't intend for this to be super competitive. I'm aiming for long games and fun with pals, not to crush all those who stand before me and drink their blood.
That said, I'm not a great deck builder, and any advice you want to give is greatly appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-shenanigans/

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 7, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

A couple of pages ago, someone posted up that they lost on game day to a Biovisionary deck. I wanted to get in on this action.

Deck: Biovisionary

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
5 Forest
10 Island
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
4 Dissolve
2 Divination
4 Fated Infatuation
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Primeval Bounty
4 Ranger's Guile
3 Syncopate

//Creatures
4 Artisan of Forms
4 Biovisionary
1 Progenitor Mimic
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
4 Swan Song
4 Perplexing Chimera
1 Progenitor Mimic
4 Druid's Deliverance
2 Ętherize

Display deck statistics

Probably sideboarding out Biovisionary and putting in Progenitor and Perplexing Chimera vs Black. We'll see how FNM goes! :unsmigghh:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Selesnya aggro? Selesnya aggro.

8 Forest
8 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Precinct Captain
2 Banisher Priest
3 Eidolon of Countless Battles
2 Boon Satyr
2 Polukranos, World Eater

2 Hunt the Weak

2 Unravel the Aether
4 Advent of the Wurm

2 Unflinching Courage

1 Spear of Heliod

----

Sideboard

2 Nessian Wilds Ravager
2 Fade into Antiquity
2 Bramblecrush
2 Pacifism
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Vastwood Hydra
4 Selesnya Charm

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 8, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Deckit posted:

A couple of pages ago, someone posted up that they lost on game day to a Biovisionary deck. I wanted to get in on this action.

Deck: Biovisionary

3-1 at FNM, taking home a shiny Banisher Priest.

2-0 against a RDW, stabilizing both games at 7 health.

2-0 against Orzhov Heroic.

1-2 against Golgari Control. I made a stupid sideboard change game 3 that cost me it. :smith:

2-0 against Mono G devotion, winning on turn 5 both games.

I'm probably going to work Druid's Deliverance into the main board.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
For Sharzak, my current BG Graveyard list:

Deck: BG Graveyard (Standard Dredge)

//Lands
8 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
8 Swamp

//Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage
1 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Herald of Torment
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Nemesis of Mortals
4 Nighthowler
3 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
3 Shadowborn Demon
4 Abrupt Decay
1 Whip of Erebos
2 Deadbridge Chant
4 Mistcutter Hydra

Display deck statistics

It's been doing really well, the only deck I consistently lose to is Bant Superfriends as Kiora is an rear end in a top hat to a Voltron'd creature.

Deadbridge Chant comes in versus mono black since they can't deal with it at all, the Shadowborns are in the board rather than main because I find them only to be relevant versus RG monsters. Mistcutter versus mono-U, obv. Decays come in against mono-U, control, and any weenie strat. The second whip is there because of the RW burn matchups, the lifelink puts you out of reach FAST.

This is the most fun deck in standard right now and it didn't break the bank to build since I grabbed the BG staples early (and had the Tombs from OG Rav).

The deck only gets better with JiN when you get a second set of duals and the BG God (whatever it may be).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So here is yet another standard deck I have been tinkering with-

Safety Dance Blue Version!

Sorcery (3)
3x Supreme Verdict

Instant (4)
2x Azorius Charm
2x Sphinx's Revelation

Creature (11)
4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
1x Ephara, God of the Polis
4x Fiendslayer Paladin
2x Heliod, God of the Sun

Planeswalker (2)
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Enchantment (15)
4x Detention Sphere
4x Ethereal Armor
3x Blind Obedience
4x Sphere of Safety

Land (25)
4x Hallowed Fountain
5x Island
16x Plains

Samael fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 8, 2014

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*
So, with SCG Seattle one week away, I'm pretty set on what I want to play for legacy (Deathblade, yo), but for the standard portion, well, I'm thinking of taking this:

Deck: BUG Skinwalkers

//Main
4 Courser of Kruphix

4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Vraska the Unseen

4 Abrupt Decay
2 Dimir Charm
4 Dissolve
2 Essence Scatter
1 Far // Away
1 Gaze of Granite
4 Hero's Downfall

4 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
1 Island
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Watery Grave

//Sideboard
2 Drown in Sorrow
1 Far // Away
3 Gainsay
2 Notion Thief
1 Pithing Needle
3 Thoughtseize
3 Ultimate Price

Display deck statistics

I saw this at a recent PTQ and fell in love immediately. With the exception of Mono-Red, it feels about even with most other decks- I have enough quick removal for a t2 pack rat, and abrupt decay is quite the house. I seldom drop the walkers without extra mana, so I tend to have much more extra time to build up.

The biggest issue I see with the deck is obviously the mana. Its aggro matchup can be pretty close since I'm taking a lot from my own lands, but it's much easier to turn the corner than most. In the sideboard, the notion thieves are the easy flex slot, but do I just pack in more removal/disruption? In addition, I'm looking for a source of lifegain other than Coursers, but nothing's really coming to mind. I don't really like Scavenging Ooze, since I'm either holding up mana for removal or tapping out for threats, and this one kind of gets lost in the middle.

So where would you improve this one? TIA.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^thoughttseize seems like it should go in there but I'm no expert.

Balon posted:

For Sharzak, my current BG Graveyard

Mmm I like that a lot. Been looking for something fun to do in BG. Have you considered swapping out the Mystics for Thoughtseize and the Caryatids for scavenging ooze? Scooze seems like a no brainer in a deck like this. Have you found you really need the ramp?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sharzak posted:

^thoughttseize seems like it should go in there but I'm no expert.

Mmm I like that a lot. Been looking for something fun to do in BG. Have you considered swapping out the Mystics for Thoughtseize and the Caryatids for scavenging ooze? Scooze seems like a no brainer in a deck like this. Have you found you really need the ramp?

The whole point is to tutor and play threats faster than can be dealt with. The ramp is invaluable.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Nothing to report re: MURDERGOATS at FNM; I beat a Rakdos Aggro deck and was able to race his Mogis with my Purphoros out (though there was a period of time where I was alive for 5+ turns at 4 health or so) and then lost to:

-Mono-U Aggro with a splash of white for Ephara (which prompted some discussion of her possible interactions with Akroan Horse and Trading Post - time for EPHARAHORSE? Catherine the Great.dec? :v:)

-G/W Lifegain Combo AKA Immortal Bacon.dec; a very, very cool build that revolved around using Gift of Immortality on Brindle Boar to gain a bunch of life and use things like Voracious Wurm as a beater.

-G/B Golgari Beats; Lotleth Troll, Dreg Mangler, Abrupt Decay, the works.

After that I dropped and played a few turns of an EDH game before the shop closed. I had fun in all of my matches (especially the latter two games where MG.dec just refused to die), but I didn't get a chance to try Rakdos's Return against a control deck or Bile Blight, etc. I was able to finally procure a Temple of Malice.

However, I almost feel like my interest in the deck is slipping - especially as I get so close (and yet so far away :negative:) from finishing Breakfast Burrito and Jeleva/Ghost Dad Stax. :( Not to mention my paltry Standard trade stock would benefit from Blood Crypt/Downfall/Dreadbore. Might as well stick with it just to play Standard stuff, if nothing else.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I played my first five rounds of standard since invasion was a standard legal set last night. I took a version of Baron's U/G devotion deck. I ended up going 3-2, beating a bad rakdos agro deck, B/W hatebears, and some weird monowhite thing I didn't understand. I ran over pretty much everyone that I beat, the deck works really well when it works.

I lost to a better rakdos agro deck, I just wasn't able to stabilize fast enough to keep myself alive, and a mono black variant with no merchants and more removal in their place. It did not go well. Lifebane zombie makes things very hard on this deck.

The highlight of the night was swinging an arbor colossus into a spirit of the labyrinth, and then following it up with using a nykthos to cast garruk, using garruk to drop Zegana, drawing seven cards, playing a new nykthos to continue the insanity and drop another arbor colossus and a polukranos in one turn. The guys sitting next to me actually stopped to watch what was happening after Zegana came down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Balon posted:

The whole point is to tutor and play threats faster than can be dealt with. The ramp is invaluable.

In addition to that, the reason you can get away with only running 20 lands is that you have a bunch of creatures that also double as more mana sources. And those creatures are much more valuable to you when they end up in your graveyard than if you were running more lands in their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Went to FNM last night and went 2-2 which was a bit of a bummer but I finally got to test out my Minotaur Tribal.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minotaur-tribal-06-02-14-3/

It's a fun deck but it feels off still. It definitely lacks punch in the two drops area, I had 3 lightning strikes and one Seize instead of the 4 on there right now and they were useful in a few very specific situations but otherwise dead cards to give me something to do on turn two which magma jet just plain did better every chance it could with that scry. And I feel it needs either more scry or some card draw. I have the board stacked with removal for every situation (I had forgotten to pull my mortars out of my R/G Monsters deck so I ran two bile blights instead) but I feel like I need some card draw or more scry to fix lovely draws which just crushed me in the first two rounds. Best I can think of is to toss in a few Underworld Connections and Whips but I'm not really sure what to take out. I also want to tweak the mana base, I drew too drat many no/one land hands and might bump it up to 24 lands.

For reference I went up against a White Weenie Aura, Naya Hexproof, Mono-B, and a borzhov burn sorta thing going 0-2 against the first two decks and 2-0 against the latter two.

• Locked thread