Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Declan MacManus posted:

Bortles is highly rated because of his tools and production; those seem like really good reasons to be rated highly, and he was in the discussion as a second day pick before Mariota pulled out
Right, and second-day pick seems like a more fair assessment, but Mariota pulling out seems like a poor reason to rise all the way from second-day to #1 in most mock drafts, as opposed to maybe late first-round.

His production was only pretty good compared to Bridgewater and Manziel who were great; he was also pedestrian in 2012 (in CUSA!) while they definitely weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's funny, I had that exact impression but I really don't follow the draft that closely.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Didn't Bortles have a pretty good combine while Manziel didn't throw and teddy b didn't even run? Seems like he was the highest profile QB to do anything at the combine, which might contribute to his current mock draft levels. He strikes me as a guy who will slide further back into place as we get closer. I'm thinking late first round ultimately.

But I'm talking out of my butt and don't know poo poo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So I just discovered that Garoppolo graduated from the same high school as me. I now declare him the greatest quarterback in this draft. Also, the handsomest.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Febreeze posted:

Didn't Bortles have a pretty good combine while Manziel didn't throw and teddy b didn't even run?

While this is true, who the gently caress cares what Bridgewater runs? As long as it's not 5.0, I think he's fine.

Also, pasty doughy AJ McCarron made all his throws at the combine, but absolutely sucked in about half the metric tests.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sataere posted:

So I just discovered that Garoppolo graduated from the same high school as me. I now declare him the greatest quarterback in this draft. Also, the handsomest.

He was already the handsomest before you found that out

what

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

smuggler posted:

While this is true, who the gently caress cares what Bridgewater runs? As long as it's not 5.0, I think he's fine.

Yeah, Bridgewater's 40 is about the least relevant thing. He's a pure pocket passer now, and will be a pure pocket passer in the pros. In 3 full seasons as a starter he's covered a total of 170 yards on the ground at a 0.8 yards per attempt.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

The Notorious ZSB posted:

How bad is McShay's newest draft? Always been my understanding that between him and Kiper he was the one that was literally there just to look good and make ridiculous speculations.

He's got Aaron Donald going to the Bears, so I can't complain. I am totally sold on that dude even though he's the size of a garden gnome.

My latest Phil Emery wish list is that we cut Peppers, re-sign Wootton, draft Aaron Donald, trade the Eagles for Vinny Curry, and sign a decent NT like Linval Joseph. That would still leave most of Peppers' money free to spend elsewhere, and we'd have a ton of youth and cheap talent at d-line.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Screw you guys, Donald needs to fall to Dallas :argh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bortles had a great combine and looks like he'll be a solid starter at the next level. I don't see him as the #1 pick though, but definitely top 10. He probably would have jumped Mariota had Mariota came out this year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ryan Shazier apparently just ran under 4.4 at OSU's pro day

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

He's got Aaron Donald going to the Bears, so I can't complain. I am totally sold on that dude even though he's the size of a garden gnome.

My latest Phil Emery wish list is that we cut Peppers, re-sign Wootton, draft Aaron Donald, trade the Eagles for Vinny Curry, and sign a decent NT like Linval Joseph. That would still leave most of Peppers' money free to spend elsewhere, and we'd have a ton of youth and cheap talent at d-line.

Is he really undersized? I thought he was the right measurements for a 3 tech.

Also, screw Vinny Curry. Michael Johnson all the way. Also, we keep Peppers one more year, guarantee Cutler's salary and then draft Donald. Peppers has a resurgence and we decimate teams with our front four.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Sataere posted:

Also, screw Vinny Curry. Michael Johnson all the way. Also, we keep Peppers one more year, guarantee Cutler's salary and then draft Donald. Peppers has a resurgence and we decimate teams with our front four.

As a Carolina fan, I can see you don't "get" Julius Peppers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, Bridgewater's 40 is about the least relevant thing. He's a pure pocket passer now, and will be a pure pocket passer in the pros. In 3 full seasons as a starter he's covered a total of 170 yards on the ground at a 0.8 yards per attempt.

At first I was trying to figure out why his team ran Bridgewater so often (that would be like 200 attempts), but then I remembered that the NCAA counts sacks as rushing attempts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bridgewater isn't an option guy or anything but he can move around the pocket and escape the pass rush if necessary. Not like he's a statue.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bortles seems like a prospect you talk yourself into.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

waah posted:

As a Carolina fan, I can see you don't "get" Julius Peppers.

I get him just fine. He has been great all but one year as a Bear. He constantly drew double teams and was still disruptive. Last year was his only real down year and that isn't even entirely his fault.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know anything about draft prospects but I can 100% tell you that someone named Blake Bortles will never be a star QB in this league.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bortles seems like a prospect you talk yourself into.

I feel that way about any #1 except for Clowney.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We need more Bortles jerseys in the Team Shop. Repeat, we are sold out of Bortles jerseys.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Sataere posted:

He's 6'1" 285 lbs which should be fine for a 3 tech (especially after an offseason or two in an NFL weight room)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kalli posted:

I don't know anything about draft prospects but I can 100% tell you that someone named Blake Bortles will never be a star QB in this league.

Sigh, do I really have to requote my name requirements because I thought we already went over this. He has two short names that are an alliteration and his first name is Blake. He's going to be a fantastic QB.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doltos posted:

Sigh, do I really have to requote my name requirements because I thought we already went over this. He has two short names that are an alliteration and his first name is Blake. He's going to be a fantastic QB.

It worked for Tim Tebow.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doltos posted:

So he'll be Bubby Brister or Brian Brohm, I am unconvinced. :colbert:

Now Logan Thomas, there's a name that inspires confidence.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

It's just that

I mean

his last name is Bortles

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

All of this makes sense except no one named Blake will ever amount to anything ever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Jeff Blake deserves more love than this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Jeff Blake deserves more love than this

Forty years from now will we have a President Blake _______? gently caress no.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
President Blake Bortles

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

It's a really lovely name and he should have it changed. :colbert:

PrinceRandom posted:

I feel that way about any #1 except for Clowney.

Brett Kollmann of Battle Red Blog, who works for the NFL Network and watches tape for them (he did a shitton of defensive prospect writeups last year on guys like Dion Jordan and Alex Okafor and shared his thoughts with BRB) has been doing radio interviews and saying why Teddy is actually a really good pick for Houston because of how he reads defenses.

My only complaint is I feel like he watched two tapes of JFF's tape and just fell right into the echo chamber of "He just lofts it up to Mike Evans :downs:" bullshit. Not that I want Manziel at 1-1, but it got a little grating.

Seriously though, give it a listen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Goetta posted:

President Blake Bortles

Did he run on a platform to oppose wet willies and purple nurples?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Did he run on a platform to oppose wet willies and purple nurples?

Vote for my hot girlfriend

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

President Bortles sounds a lot like President Bartlet guess it'll work out

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kalli posted:

So he'll be Bubby Brister or Brian Brohm, I am unconvinced. :colbert:

Now Logan Thomas, there's a name that inspires confidence.

You'd be correct, Logan Thomas's name alone makes me think he'll be able to be a QB at the next level.

Brian Brohm doesn't work because Brians are universally terrible at sports. Bubby also wouldn't past the registrar for a Connecticut country club so that's also the reason why he was bad.

Also Bortles can easily be made into a verb which means he'll have a career long lasting enough for that to happen and for him to start whipping balls into the dirt.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Former quarterback from Florida? Well uh

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

It's like the Goofus to Bartlet's Gallant

President Bartlet eases tense situation with hostile nation by agreeing to helpful diplomatic compromise

President Bortles alienates ally by making inappropriate gestures about former ally's past leaders

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Febreeze posted:

It's like the Goofus to Bartlet's Gallant

President Bartlet eases tense situation with hostile nation by agreeing to helpful diplomatic compromise

President Bortles alienates ally by making inappropriate gestures about former ally's past leaders

"to bortle" just sounds like a synonym for "to gently caress up"

Nice job bortling the Crimean Crisis, Mr. President.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
'To bortle' sounds like something from Dr. Who that my friends will tell me all about for months. Dr. Who owns, btw.

Febreeze, maybe you should take football names from the draft and give depictions of what they mean? Bridgewater is obvious, Bortles has some potential...

Clinton-Dix. :haw:

VVVV :golfclap:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 7, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Manziel sounds like mansierre, destined to bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fitting because he's also a bro.