Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

AFewBricksShy posted:

Does anyone have access to high res (1920x1080) screenshots from the opening credits? I think they would make awesome desktop backgrounds, but I can't find gently caress all on google.

You can probably easily grab screencaps with a program like VLC Media player

edit: also there's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

the posted:

You can probably easily grab screencaps with a program like VLC Media player

edit: also there's this

I already tried google, and the best I found was the ship at 1280x720, which isn't nearly as big as I want. And I can't find an HD version of the credits to get screen grabs from.

I did find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0
Which has the high res, but has the drat Stars logo with the hashtag in the corner. I can use GIMP enough to get rid of the names, as they are usually in a dark space, but I'm not good enough to get rid of the logo in the corner which rarely is in black space.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just wait until the season ends a the bluray gets released? Should be no problem finding 1080p at that point.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made these. They are a little blurry, but it's the best I could do.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is this season only eight episodes long? Every episode has been so good, Starz is producing really high quality tv.

Was Da Vinci's demons any good?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mans posted:

How is this season only eight episodes long? Every episode has been so good, Starz is producing really high quality tv.

Was Da Vinci's demons any good?

lost me with a scene not unlike this one.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MRLOLAST posted:

Why did the Barlow woman gently caress the priest?

They showed her and Flint having sex and he just wasn't into it anymore, she probably wants some passionate loving as sitting around that house has to be super boring.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I realise that actually I'm a bit disappointed with the pacing of Black Sails. Compare how much ground has been covered (both in terms of 'things done' and character development) to season 1 of Spartacus - the writing isn't nearly as tight in terms of getting to the marks it wants to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the problem is that they're focusing on to many groups of characters. I mean first we've got the adventures of Captain Flint and his crew who are currently at sea. John Silver is stowed at port and participating in the local politics plotline. Vane & co have spent most episodes dealing with their own problems ever since the deal with Silver failed until the end of the last episode. Finally we have the Barlow woman and the priest which I hope is leading somewhere. I mean it's nowhere near Game of Thrones levels of bad but having 4 separate groups of characters who barely interact on a per episode basis with each other does drastically hurt the pacing. Spartacus always had the benefit of the Ludus early on which meant that all the major players were gathered in one closely knit location. Black Sails does not have that benefit as currently everyone is doing different things at different locations.

I feel like the Barlow woman pushed it over the edge. Having her character be someone we only heard of until the end of the season would probably have been for the better.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Xoidanor posted:

I think the problem is that they're focusing on to many groups of characters. I mean first we've got the adventures of Captain Flint and his crew who are currently at sea. John Silver is stowed at port and participating in the local politics plotline. Vane & co have spent most episodes dealing with their own problems ever since the deal with Silver failed until the end of the last episode. Finally we have the Barlow woman and the priest which I hope is leading somewhere. I mean it's nowhere near Game of Thrones levels of bad but having 4 separate groups of characters who barely interact on a per episode basis with each other does drastically hurt the pacing. Spartacus always had the benefit of the Ludus early on which meant that all the major players were gathered in one closely knit location. Black Sails does not have that benefit as currently everyone is doing different things at different locations.

I feel like the Barlow woman pushed it over the edge. Having her character be someone we only heard of until the end of the season would probably have been for the better.

Yep. I honestly could do without that storyline entirely. It seems like it's something that could have been nodded at here and there but the bulk of it should have happened next season - it helps slow down the pace too much.

Also, I haven't heard anyone say "yarr", "matey", or "Yarr, matey!"

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I think Randall squirted a bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was about to say, pretty sure Vane doesn't die just yet.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

I think Randall squirted a bit.

definitely sounded like he gambled and lost.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Billy has to show up right before the crew is about to kill Flint, and reveal that Flint didn't try to kill him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rocksicles posted:

lost me with a scene not unlike this one.

Did, um, did they put Vince from Entourage in the last Clash of the Titans movie?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
lotta :flaccid: in that episode

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sure this has been discussed already, but who in the hell is the big bearded dude Vane keeps hallucinating, and then turns out to be a real dude when Vane goes to his island? I defaulted to Blackbeard since he, well, had a big black beard, but I'm not sure sure now. Any insight on this or is everyone else just in the dark by the show's design until the writers deign to reveal who he is (was)?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
There is no way of knowing for sure who it was, and while the blackbeard vibe was there, it seems if we were supposed to think that was him, his name would have been heard. When he beat Vane and kneeled down and said that he was proud of him, I got much more of a "Luke, I am your father" kind of vibe than just a random famous pirate.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's really interesting is that I am going through the IMDB credit list, and the guy is literally uncredited. I can't find him anywhere. Nice work keeping it quiet it seems.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The actor's name is Garth Collins and he's credited in several episodes as Albinus, though I don't think his name has been said aloud by anyone.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fenris13 posted:

There is no way of knowing for sure who it was, and while the blackbeard vibe was there, it seems if we were supposed to think that was him, his name would have been heard. When he beat Vane and kneeled down and said that he was proud of him, I got much more of a "Luke, I am your father" kind of vibe than just a random famous pirate.

Yeah, the dude was a former pirate captain who talked his crew into forming some kind of mini colony where they harvested and sold lumber. It seemed Vane was more than just a former crew member, by what you said already, and also by the matching brand he had with the black kid. What exactly that was wasn't made totally clear yet.

Anyway, I loved that episode and it seems like shits on now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got a predatory vibe from Beardsley (go a go with that until we find out the name). Maybe Vane was his "cabin boy" like the small kid was now. That may also explain the "proud of you" and "it took a lot of strength to come here".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accountant guy Quartermaster is quickly becoming my favourite character following the unfortunate demise of Billy. :swoon:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 9, 2014

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
A cock that big soft has to be fake right? :saddowns:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Caufman posted:

The actor's name is Garth Collins and he's credited in several episodes as Albinus, though I don't think his name has been said aloud by anyone.

He's really good as both an imposing giant of a man and an intelligent guy getting rich selling lumber. Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRAure__s4

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

savinhill posted:

Yeah, the dude was a former pirate captain who talked his crew into forming some kind of mini colony where they harvested and sold lumber. It seemed Vane was more than just a former crew member, by what you said already, and also by the matching brand he had with the black kid. What exactly that was wasn't made totally clear yet.

Anyway, I loved that episode and it seems like shits on now.
For what it's worth, (history maybe-spoilers follow) the historical Blackbeard tried something very similar. The historical Vane also approached him during this time for manpower to support an attack on Nassau. Whether the character's named as such or not, they're definitely going for Blackbeard parallels.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got a predatory vibe from Beardsley (go a go with that until we find out the name). Maybe Vane was his "cabin boy" like the small kid was now. That may also explain the "proud of you" and "it took a lot of strength to come here".

I'm not sure if it was that specifically, but I certainly got a very cult leader-like vibe from the whole thing. Maybe the whole group there has some kind of quasi-religious thing going on with baldey at their head?

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who had to bust out laughing at Silver's "are you loving kidding me?" :haw:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 10, 2014

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

In the credits it was said the boy was a slave, Vane was probably a slave. That last shot of Vane was very manly.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Photex posted:

definitely sounded like he gambled and lost.

Sometimes you gotta sell halfwit.

So favorite characters in this are probably Silver, Other smart guy on Vane's crew, and maybe randal? IDK We'll see who gets murdered next.

Still up in the air on the show. Want to like it though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I thought the boy said 'traitor' when vane first woke up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yoar a thief.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Yoar a thief.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I really don't like Flint at all. I'm rooting for Silver and Jack until Billy hopefully returns.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, Flint is an rear end in a top hat. I don't think we're supposed to be rooting for him.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I want more about Flint's motivations before I decide I'm totally against him or not. What did they accuse him of in England that was so horrible?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I want more about Flint's motivations before I decide I'm totally against him or not. What did they accuse him of in England that was so horrible?

Being a pirate?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Silver:
"Randal, you are a loving puzzle.
Part of me of me thinks you must be the luckiest half-wit in the colonies,the way this all played out."

Randal: :saddowns:

Silver: "Part of me, suspects there's something else going on here."

Randal: :stare:

Silver: "I'm forced to wonder if you didn't orchestrate this whole little drama, knowing it would corner me into securing your return to the crew. I'm forced to consider the possibility, that there is a lot more of the old Randal in that old head of yours then you like to let on. That you're no half wit at all, but a very shrewd operator, who's managed to gain the benefits of sailing with these men, while avoiding all the risk."

Silver:"That perhaps, ... just perhaps, you're a goddamn genius."

Randal: :stare: "~PHFFFAAAAaaaAARRrrrRTtTT~"

Silver: :gonk:

Svaha fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Svaha posted:

Silver:
"Randal, you are a loving puzzle.
Part of me of me thinks you must be the luckiest half-wit in the colonies,the way this all played out."

"Part of me, suspects there's something else going on here."

Randal: :saddowns:

Silver: "I'm forced to wonder if you didn't orchestrate this whole little drama, knowing it would corner me into securing your return to the crew. I'm forced to consider the possibility, that there is a lot more of the old Randal in that old head of yours then you like to let on. That you're no half wit at all, but a very shrewd operator, who's managed to gain the benefits of sailing with these men, while avoiding all the risk."

Silver:"That perhaps, just perhaps, you're a goddamn genius."

That scene was so funny, just thinking about it makes me smile.

Tighclops posted:

Something like having an affair with Mrs Barlow that drove her husband/his commanding officer to suicide I think, but that's from what a couple of different characters said during conversations they were having while trying to manipulate eachother, so it could end up being bullshit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Calling it now. After Flint and Guthrie bonded over their shared vision, he's totally going to dump Mrs. Barlowe for the younger woman who more closely buys into his deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Svaha posted:

Silver:"That perhaps, ... just perhaps, you're a goddamn genius."

That's exactly how a goddamn genius would reply. :colbert:

• Locked thread