Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

EightBit posted:

I'm sorry about your problems, but you drive a

Just
Empty
Every
Ppocket

Keep some cash handy for breakagesunplanned upgrades.

Another goon told me this the other day and it really made me laugh. It's so true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sharks Below posted:

Well I just had the most horrifying phone call of my life. I recently did a long drive (1200km each way, there and back in the space of 2 days) in my 2010 Wrangler JK and on the way up, my gears starting playing up. I think it's possible that I jolted reverse whilst shifting into sixth, accidentally. Anyway, sixth and fifth seemed to be a bit strange but I could shift into them so I kept going. When I got to my destination, reverse was suddenly not working. It felt like I couldn't fully shift into the gear, and when I'd try to bring the clutch out to engage it'd grind and not engage. I avoided reverse since and drove back with no issues, fifth and sixth both engaging properly. But reverse still wouldn't, unless I leant all my weight on the stick in which case I could sometimes get it into gear.

I took it to my mechanic when I got back to town and they've just called me to say they ~think~ it's the housing and that it's going to cost me ~AUD$4000 to fix. Cheaper slightly for a secondhand gearbox, more if they find other issues. I asked them to confirm whether they actually think that is the issue before I commit to anything and I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.

Have any other Jeephavers had this issue? I'm so dumbfounded and I have no idea where I'm going to find that kind of money. I'm getting married and leaving for the USA in the next 12 months and that's already stretching my budget and savings to the limit. I am way up poo poo creek here :(

I would have to see the parts to be sure but there is probably some destruction in there, jamming a transmission into reverse or trying to at speeds that justify 5th/6th is really not nice to the gears. So anything related to reverse is probably munged up at best and ruined at worst. Surprised the case is involved, though.

Are you bringing the jeep to the states with you, or selling it? Because you can probably get a trans for it for under a grand here.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Where did the Just Empty Every Pocket thing come from? Is it because Jeeps are notoriously unreliable, or is it just from the fact that many Jeep owners use their vehicles as they are meant to be used, leading to inevitable parts breakage?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Where did the Just Empty Every Pocket thing come from? Is it because Jeeps are notoriously unreliable, or is it just from the fact that many Jeep owners use their vehicles as they are meant to be used, leading to inevitable parts breakage?

Yes and yes :)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I don't think Jeeps are known for being unreliable, but I may be wrong.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I don't think Jeeps are known for being unreliable, but I may be wrong.
Yeah, there are occasional issues, but certainly no more (and I'd say less) than most brands.

I'd say it has far more to do with the "Hey, check THIS out!" factor. I'm shocked I haven't actually broken anything yet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's because of how expensive all the cool poo poo is. The wheels and tires I want will cost me 2k, a soft top is 900, half-doors are 1300+paint+hinges...

Edit:those wheels are only 100 apiece...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm about to replace my smittybilt rock sliders with a set of poison spyder rocker knockers. There's $600 right there!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
When I first got my jeep I priced up everything I wanted to do to it and it was well over 10k. 3 more years till its paid off and I can start on the more expensive stuff :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I feel like mine is finally close to good enough after all I've put into it. I can get up most things that I want to currently, and as my driving improves it'll only make my jeep more capable. The rest of the poo poo doesn't make enough sense to me - going to long arm, upgrading axles, better transfer cases, beadlocks, etc.

That said - I am still going to replace my boxed control arms with some kind of flex joints, and add a sport cage to the front. And I still have a bunch of smaller projects that I will do. I just don't see myself spending more than a grand on any one project for a LONG time.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 6, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Most people probably think Jeeps are unreliable. For folks that lived through the SUV hype of the late 90's and jumped on the bandwagon with the craptastic Grand Cherokee of the time, they probably have pretty bad memories. My XJ has all kinds of quirks like the front speakers intermittently working, instrument cluster going wonky, a leaky rear main seal, and a whole load of squeaks and rattles. However deep down I know the stuff that actually matters is pretty reliable and parts are not expensive. Car has 188k miles and feels like it will drive another 180k no problem.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
It probably is a matter of perspective. My XJ has some issues, but it gets me to work and back. I love it. I'd say it has been extremely reliable over the last 2 years I've had it until my clutch fork bent and gave up the ghost. I would happily drive this anywhere in the US right now with no fear of it leaving me on the side of the road.

My other car is a DSM.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
My '01 XJ had a problem where the passenger low beam headlight would blow fuses all the time. It had a rattly interior, squeaks, the rear hatch didn't lock with the keyless FOB and I had to lock it manually with the key anytime I went anywhere. I still think of it as one of the most reliable cars I've owned. Though I've owned a lot of new cars that don't really count. I beat the piss out of it, neglected it, and it would sit for months at a time and never failed to start right up with 150k miles. I would honestly take a high mileage XJ as my vehicle to survive the apocalypse in over anything else I could think of. Certainly better than a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My '95 XJ cost me $600 about a year ago, and I've put another $500-$600 in it, mostly factory upgrades (it was a base model) and maintenance/fluids. The only major work so far was when the throw out bearing seized. It's got 233k miles and I would drive it anywhere. I do wish it were as 4.0 and 4x4 sometimes, but it does the job I need it for so far. Hauled about half it's weight on paving stones the other day - it was slow and the brakes were almost overwhelmed, but it did it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world:

This is really what I was hoping the compass was going to be. But then it wasn't. :saddowns:

I'm sure if they introduced the 1.6L Diesel 5spd version of the Renegade, a lot of people would be happy. It seems like it would make a pretty sweet DD.

Krakkles posted:

At some point, me and a couple people in here were talking about the old-school AMC jeep logos, and how they wanted them.

Well, guess what just surfaced on ebay?

FUCKYEAH

Ordering now...

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
My XJ made a few odd noises the other day after some very light action in 4 high on a forest road. I didn't hear it the first time, but I was driving along probably in the 35-50mph range and the gf and a friend heard it in the rear seat. I was driving later on and heard an odd noise from the rear of the vehicle shortly after hitting a bump. It sounded like a grinding noise similar to trying to put a car into gear without the clutch in, or trying to put the Jeep into 4 high without it being in neutral (did that once, whoops) except nowhere near as loud.

I realize this is very vague, but is this normal, or could this be a problem starting to creep up with the diff?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Could the exhaust be rattling around? Mine rattled a bit and would make a noise when hitting bumps or waiting in park. Eventually I broke the whole exhaust off while bouncing around off road (oops).

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
I just had my exhaust fixed and it's bumping something on startup and low idle. It either needs to go back or my mounts are toast since I did the clutch job.

Edit: I spell gud.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Found a gearbox through a reputable parts place for $500 plus freight and tax, no warranty but it came out of a JK that'd only done 80,000km and was in perfect working order it was only taken out for converting the engine to a v8. Buy immediately y/n? Considering other places have quoted me all $2200+

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm currently trying to install parts of my new 4" lift that allow safe driving between working days, and all that I have left is the huge hassle of dropping the axles and replacing springs, control arms, etc. SYE mod was a bitch but well worth it. Parts for the lift and necessary upgrades so far just exceed $3300. After this, I'll be able to fit 35" tires with just upgraded axles and trimmed fender flares (yeah right I'll end up buying extended flares) :homebrew:

Some time soon I'll be replacing the old and knackered NV3550, probably for about a grand after shipping. The good news, is that after replacing two lovely throwout bearings, I'm getting pretty good at dropping that bitch :suicide:

So, yeah, after 180k miles, it's got a few kinks, like Chrysler electrics melting the fan speed knob, but I expect it to go for another 180k after I get done making it into a proper rock crawler.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The worst part about driving a jeep: you can't resist the urge to romp on it and feel that i6 torque, but then your eye catches the gas gauge and you start to notice its visible movement toward empty after every time you put your foot in it.

I miss gas that cost a dollar a gallon.

Disclaimer: I am used to driving toyotas. If you came to jeeps from old broncos or some poo poo they probably get great mileage to you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sharks Below posted:

Found a gearbox through a reputable parts place for $500 plus freight and tax, no warranty but it came out of a JK that'd only done 80,000km and was in perfect working order it was only taken out for converting the engine to a v8. Buy immediately y/n? Considering other places have quoted me all $2200+

I'd jump on it, 500 isn't bad for a transmission that new out of a vehicle that new.

EightBit posted:

I'm currently trying to install parts of my new 4" lift that allow safe driving between working days, and all that I have left is the huge hassle of dropping the axles and replacing springs, control arms, etc. SYE mod was a bitch but well worth it. Parts for the lift and necessary upgrades so far just exceed $3300. After this, I'll be able to fit 35" tires with just upgraded axles and trimmed fender flares (yeah right I'll end up buying extended flares) :homebrew:

Some time soon I'll be replacing the old and knackered NV3550, probably for about a grand after shipping. The good news, is that after replacing two lovely throwout bearings, I'm getting pretty good at dropping that bitch :suicide:

So, yeah, after 180k miles, it's got a few kinks, like Chrysler electrics melting the fan speed knob, but I expect it to go for another 180k after I get done making it into a proper rock crawler.

On the other hand I would not spend 1k on an NV3550. Go haunt the you-pull, rip one out of like a 99-?? or so dodge dakota with a 3.9L V6. Put your bellhousing and perhaps tailhousing on it (the dakota one is like the XJ/MJ/ZJ one, it clocks the tcase lower than yours I believe) and stick your shift tower and lever on it, now it's a TJ NV3550.

They are still fairly common because almost no one knows this. TJ and XJ NV3550s bring a loving MINT, because everyone thinks they are rare and also thinks they are better/stronger than an AX15. They aren't, they're rated for the same 300 foot pounds input torque, they might shift a bit smoother though.

Don't know what prices are like around you but 100-200 is the general range for a RWD/4x4 M/T from the you-pull here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

On the other hand I would not spend 1k on an NV3550. Go haunt the you-pull, rip one out of like a 99-?? or so dodge dakota with a 3.9L V6. Put your bellhousing and perhaps tailhousing on it (the dakota one is like the XJ/MJ/ZJ one, it clocks the tcase lower than yours I believe) and stick your shift tower and lever on it, now it's a TJ NV3550.

They are still fairly common because almost no one knows this. TJ and XJ NV3550s bring a loving MINT, because everyone thinks they are rare and also thinks they are better/stronger than an AX15. They aren't, they're rated for the same 300 foot pounds input torque, they might shift a bit smoother though.

Don't know what prices are like around you but 100-200 is the general range for a RWD/4x4 M/T from the you-pull here.

Ok, with some wikipedia sleuthing, I've found some potential donors in local yards: 94-04 Ram 1500 trucks apparently have a compatible transmission, and one with a manual was just added two days ago to the nearest yard. I just hope the transmission is still there on Sunday.

Is there any good way to determine how hosed over the transmission is while still in the yard?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Dunno about dodge 1500s, those should have an NV3500 not a 3550. The 3500s have an integral bellhousing that can't be swapped out and only match the mopar V8 engines.

You definitely want a 3550 not that... I don't know for sure that it wasn't in 1500s, but I do know for sure that it was in Dakotas.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

BoostCreep posted:

My '01 XJ had a problem where the passenger low beam headlight would blow fuses all the time. It had a rattly interior, squeaks, the rear hatch didn't lock with the keyless FOB and I had to lock it manually with the key anytime I went anywhere. I still think of it as one of the most reliable cars I've owned. Though I've owned a lot of new cars that don't really count. I beat the piss out of it, neglected it, and it would sit for months at a time and never failed to start right up with 150k miles. I would honestly take a high mileage XJ as my vehicle to survive the apocalypse in over anything else I could think of. Certainly better than a Hyundai Santa Fe.

All of this was true of my 98 XJ winter beater. I told people that my criminal neglect was causing it to rot apart around the motor, which ran strong all the way to the scrap heap, where I assume they took it around back and shot it. I'm actually kinda taking care of my 115k 00 XJ so I assume it will last through another Clinton/Bush cycle.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Dunno about dodge 1500s, those should have an NV3500 not a 3550. The 3500s have an integral bellhousing that can't be swapped out and only match the mopar V8 engines.

You definitely want a 3550 not that... I don't know for sure that it wasn't in 1500s, but I do know for sure that it was in Dakotas.

Well, guess what isn't showing up in the junkyards near me? Jeeps and Dakotas :negative:

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

CJ6's own and I've wanted one forever. I'd rather have a full length soft top instead of the weird half-cab, but that's just cause of kid, dog, etc.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The worst part about driving a jeep: you can't resist the urge to romp on it and feel that i6 torque, but then your eye catches the gas gauge and you start to notice its visible movement toward empty after every time you put your foot in it.

I miss gas that cost a dollar a gallon.

Disclaimer: I am used to driving toyotas. If you came to jeeps from old broncos or some poo poo they probably get great mileage to you.

I love mashing the gas down and listening to that 4.0 scream. I got into a bit of a noise contest with a motorcycle the other night at a stoplight.
Then he did a burnout and sped away. :saddowns:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

And that's why I'm glad I have $63 each 25" tires on my jeep.

If I hoof it doing like 20-30 I can peel out a bit. Make that 40 if the pavement's wet or there's some sort of a bump to break traction on.

It tows like a beast, too, maintains 75-80 while pulling 3500lbs uphill on the pike... without dropping out of overdrive :getin:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

I love mashing the gas down and listening to that 4.0 scream. I got into a bit of a noise contest with a motorcycle the other night at a stoplight.
Then he did a burnout and sped away. :saddowns:

As my first longitudinally engined vehicle it makes me giddy to rev it up in neutral and feel the torque twist the vehicle. I feel like I'm waiting for the green light at the strip or something.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
When my clutch safety broke I learned that on 06 Rubicons the clutch safety is bypassed in 4L so I was starting it that way. I forgot to take it out of gear once and when I started it I ended up jumping the curb and driving through the grass all while the parking break was on.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The 4.0 can idle right up all kinds of poo poo in 4L, be careful :v:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

JEEVES420 posted:

When my clutch safety broke I learned that on 06 Rubicons the clutch safety is bypassed in 4L so I was starting it that way. I forgot to take it out of gear once and when I started it I ended up jumping the curb and driving through the grass all while the parking break was on.

Yup. I've done this a few times with my old driveline. I'd be going along and think "man, my jeep is feeling pretty sluggish today and... oh poo poo the parking brake is on".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My emergency-make-your-jeep-smell-funny lever doesn't even do that right now :(

I have all the e-brake cables on order from rockauto though, so those will go in when I put the new rearend in with the LSD and such.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone know a good source for an NP241OR?

I'm watching craigslist and eBay already, but I figured I'd ask. We decided while we're doing the SYE off the vehicle, it'd be easier with a swap, and if we're doing that, might as well go 4:1! :q:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

My emergency-make-your-jeep-smell-funny lever doesn't even do that right now :(

I'm pretty sure the brake adjuster on a JK is worthless.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
So I need to replace the shifter bushings for my transfer case. The green bushing is rock hard and I am unable to get the shift linkage to lock in place. I want to say that I remember someone saying I shouldn't use an aftermarket bushing, but figured I would ask if this was ok:

http://bit.ly/1cHoeZB

or

http://bit.ly/OaPtQD

Which is the correct grommet? Should I just see if I can get it on Chrysler Parts Direct? Is there a better place to get it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What exact model/year/drivetrain? I've got the factory parts catalogs sitting here...

Chrysler Parts Direct will probably charge you more. Whatever you do, don't use factorychryslerparts, they're scammers.

Also, those bushings suck to do, I recommend removing the whole linkage if possible (or at least the parts you need to work on) and using a C-clamp and some sockets to press them in and press the linkages into them, perhaps with a bit of WD-40 or lithium grease to help things along.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
I have a 99 XJ. Pretty sure I have the NP231 (CommandTrac) on the AX15. The bushing that I am having the issue with is the one on the transmission bracket. That looks like it will be a giant pain in the rear end to remove the bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You want part number 5300 4810, then. The first one you linked.

Getting that stupid bracket off is a royal pain in the rear end because the nuts that hold it on (there are two) are hidden behind it, they are 9/16" btw. Oh, and thanks for reminding me to buy all new bushings for those linkages before I do my AX15 swap in a week or so.