Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

It's kind of amazing how much you could get away with in a PG-rated movie before (e.g. nudity in Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

The best PG film was The Beastmaster with full on screen throat slitting, nude Tanya Roberts, plenty of sword fighting, people getting set on fire, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

It's kind of amazing how much you could get away with in a PG-rated movie before (e.g. nudity in Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

While there are PG movies with nudity, I'm fairly positive that Fast Times was always rated R. Hell, according to imdb, it was almost slapped with an X.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

univbee posted:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is rated R.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

With games you can choose what you experience a lot of the time. You could get through most of the Metal Gear games without killing anyone, besides bosses that die in cutscenes, or you could slit everyone's throats like there's candy inside. Rising is kinda the exception.

A lot of people were upset about having to do the torture sequence in GTA V, so maybe the ratings should account for what's optional and what's mandatory.

The problem with that is that the rating system basically exists entirely for kids so "you can choose to slit throats" doesn't matter much when kids will choose to slit throats.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

univbee posted:

(e.g. nudity in Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

That movie is definitely rated R.

edit: Double-beaten!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

axleblaze posted:

While there are PG movies with nudity, I'm fairly positive that Fast Times was always rated R. Hell, according to imdb, it was almost slapped with an X.

Huh, weird. I might be thinking of the wrong thing. It doesn't help that movies here have three ratings from different boards (US, Canada, Quebec) and they are often completely at odds with each-other (Outbreak: US R, Canada 14A, Quebec G :psyduck:)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neo Rasa posted:

Dark Souls 2 being rated T interesting. I wonder if it will lack the hyper macabre stuff styling of stuff in DS1 like the huge pile of drowned bodies in New Londo, the pile of eaten remains in the rat entrance to the depths, Quelaag's sister, etc.

I think dark souls 2 remains teen because it doesn't have half naked boobies (queelaq). There's still going to be macabre stuff from what I've seen in trailers.

Isn't the only instance of sexuality is with queelaq (close up cutscene) and gwyniverie? Could have been enough to push the first game into mature.

Demons souls was probably due to the pit of aborted babies.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Dark Souls 2 is Teen because nobody says gently caress and everything you kill is an ungodly monster in some way or another so all the blood is fine.

Ineffiable posted:

I think dark souls 2 remains teen because it doesn't have half naked boobies (queelaq). There's still going to be macabre stuff from what I've seen in trailers.

Isn't the only instance of sexuality is with queelaq (close up cutscene) and gwyniverie? Could have been enough to push the first game into mature.

Demons souls was probably due to the pit of aborted babies.

There is a boss in DS2 whose "hair barely covers their breasts" so who freaking knows. Also those dudes with gigantic packages.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

univbee posted:

Huh, weird. I might be thinking of the wrong thing. It doesn't help that movies here have three ratings from different boards (US, Canada, Quebec) and they are often completely at odds with each-other (Outbreak: US R, Canada 14A, Quebec G :psyduck:)

Most famous example is probably Airplane.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why do any of you care since you're all, presumably, well past the age range where ratings matter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe some of us have kids and/or are interested in the topic of ratings and censorship?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I went through the list because I'm having a kid soon and wanted to get a feel for what kind of effect parental controls would have (e.g. what would be affected based on the rating ceiling I set).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

univbee posted:

It's because French kids have been drinking wine since they were 8. It takes more than some blue CGI dong to upset them.

univbee posted:

Yeah, I went through the list because I'm having a kid soon and wanted to get a feel for what kind of effect parental controls would have (e.g. what would be affected based on the rating ceiling I set).

You're missing the big picture. You get to play the game first so you can determine if it's appropriate. It's not wasting time with video games, it's good parenting.

"Do you have Tentacles: Enter the Mind? I need to evaluate it for my kid."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, because determining whether to buy your kid Adventure Time or Dark Souls 2 really boils down to the rating on the box.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Im interested in having a kid too.

Did you guys just grab yours off the street or did you have to lure them somewhere first?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

You're missing the big picture. You get to play the game first so you can determine if it's appropriate. It's not wasting time with video games, it's good parenting.

"Do you have Tentacles: Enter the Mind? I need to evaluate it for my kid."

"No, honey, I have to plat this game, otherwise how will I know there isn't an offensive easter egg at the end of it like in SimCopter or Samurai Showdown IV? Tell junior he still can't come into the living room. Yes, I know it's been two weeks."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

It's kind of amazing how much you could get away with in a PG-rated movie before (e.g. nudity in Fast Times at Ridgemont HighEDIT apparently this is an R movie and I hosed up somewhere).
Airplane is a perfect example. PG rating, then BAM random tits out of nowhere. Also blowing (up) Otto the Autopilot. And an old woman doing coke.

Man the 80s were great.

edit: beaten because I did not check the new page. This, more than anything, led to my drinking problem.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Dark Souls 2 being rated T interesting. I wonder if it will lack the hyper macabre stuff styling of stuff in DS1 like the huge pile of drowned bodies in New Londo, the pile of eaten remains in the rat entrance to the depths, Quelaag's sister, etc.

There is a boss in that "cursed" trailer for the game that is just as macabre as anything in Dark Souls. I think it's more that Dark Souls should have been rated teen than it is DS2 being tamer than the last one. Even the queelag stuff could have been in a teen game. It's not like there was any actual nudity or anything.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have to play all the games my kid wanted to play--I'm assuming many would be lovely. Checking the rating and researching some reviews would be a far better use of my time. Unless, of course, the game they wanted was Dark Souls II. Then I would test it myself. For quality purposes. Forever.

univbee posted:

"No, honey, I have to plat this game, otherwise how will I know there isn't an offensive easter egg at the end of it like in SimCopter or Samurai Showdown IV? Tell junior he still can't come into the living room. Yes, I know it's been two weeks."

Good parenting 101.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have to play all the games my kid wanted to play--I'm assuming many would be lovely. Checking the rating and researching some reviews would be a far better use of my time. Unless, of course, the game they wanted was Dark Souls II. Then I would test it myself. For quality purposes. Forever.

You misunderstand. I didn't mean to imply the kid has any input on this.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Dark Souls 2 is Teen because nobody says gently caress and everything you kill is an ungodly monster in some way or another so all the blood is fine.

There is a boss in DS2 whose "hair barely covers their breasts" so who freaking knows. Also those dudes with gigantic packages.

Can't wait to stab baddies in the nut sack

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Chard posted:

Can't wait to stab baddies in the nut sack

"Hey buddy, maybe… uhh… maybe you should get that looked at."

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SubponticatePoster posted:

Airplane is a perfect example. PG rating, then BAM random tits out of nowhere. Also blowing (up) Otto the Autopilot. And an old woman doing coke.

Man the 80s were great.

edit: beaten because I did not check the new page. This, more than anything, led to my drinking problem.

I love the 80s so much. Not just the casual titties in a PG movie but also because of the total confidence to make R rated movies that were clearly intended for a general audience. And because nobody really cared about ratings before PG-13, I saw all of them as a kid too.

Airplane has the best because it's there as the great joke about how batshit things had gotten but Looker has my favorite thematic one. Awesome theme song, movie is partially about unnecessary plastic surgery, so here is an amazing rack you scifi nerd.

I don't recall too many big deals in ESRB ratings though. Since games mostly just dip their toes in violence the only thing that surprises me is that stuff like GTA5 doesn't have someone trying to push AO on them. But given their Spielbergian weight, I'm sure they'd never get a harsh rating.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't recall too many big deals in ESRB ratings though. Since games mostly just dip their toes in violence the only thing that surprises me is that stuff like GTA5 doesn't have someone trying to push AO on them. But given their Spielbergian weight, I'm sure they'd never get a harsh rating.

The ESRB is basically the industry policing itself which I think makes things a little less insane compared to the MPAA. The only big deal was the whole "Hot Coffee" incident which resulted in GTA San Andreas briefly being AO and pulled from most shelves; stores still willing to carry it actually got AO ESRB stickers to stick over the game copies on shelves.

I preferred RSAC (which was just three 0-4 meters for Violence, Language and Sex) but I think they required too much research from the parents' side and their ratings were all over the place: Day of the Tentacle got a 2 for violence because you have to stick the hamster in the ice box, and Full Throttle got a higher "language" rating than Duke Nukem 3D (I have no idea what the hell happened there).

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
I was at a Gamestop once waiting in line behind a parent and his 2 kids who looked about 8-9 years old. The employee explained to him that God of War 3 and Mortal Kombat were extremely violent and the parent just shrugged it off and said that it was ok and then when the employee said there was nudity in God of War, the parent let out a loud gasp and turned to his head towards his kids and told em no.

That pretty much told me all I needed to know about how backwards parents in general have it when it comes to content in videogames.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Man-In-Madden posted:

I was at a Gamestop once waiting in line behind a parent and his 2 kids who looked about 8-9 years old. The employee explained to him that God of War 3 and Mortal Kombat were extremely violent and the parent just shrugged it off and said that it was ok and then when the employee said there was nudity in God of War, the parent let out a loud gasp and turned to his head towards his kids and told em no.

That pretty much told me all I needed to know about how backwards parents in general have it when it comes to content in videogames.
It's mostly just Americans, right? Ultra-violence is fine, nudity (not sex, rather just nudity) and bad language is all most American parents care about. That was the joke in the South Park movie.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but Europe is the complete opposite. They had to heavily edit the TMNT cartoon because they couldn't even show nunchaku in the UK.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Just finshed up Remember Me from PS+ and I'm kind of sad that it wasn't a better game because although it's a blender explosion of different ingredients, some of it was solidly and even excellently done but it's all held back because you're just going "what is this even in here for?".

The absolute best part of the game is the look and levels of it. It's like a year before anyone else started someone just told an art team to make a set of game levels and just go crazy. It's really a nice look and it has a lot of detail. The levels aren't copy paste and they've got some interesting ideas for a future and retro trash that I really appreciated. The visual theme of the whole game is pretty distinctive and because I found out they were hiding tiny goddamn collectibles everywhere I looked closely at everything and it's loaded with stuff. I would look forward to this team's future games if only because their art and level team put in a lot of solid work.

But it's like they worked before anyone and nobody asked what kind of game they're making. Then a year later someone said "hey, this is a one-vs-many brawler" and they team was stuck with a bunch of great environments that occur in narrow walkways and complex geometry that doesn't work like that at all. So you go from this excellent world detail into a featureless square cube arena all the drat time like someone took their work, added a door, and forced the wrong game into their levels.

The other consequence is that there's no surprise in combat because the appearance of a big cube room means fighting always and if it's not a big cube, you're not going to be fighting. Arena levels aren't exactly rare in games but it's jarring and I just kind of rolled my eyes when they came about. Because there really isn't a lot of fighting in this game and if you've developed any skill at Arkham you'll fly through it so fast that it's only the occasional bullshit encounter that will trip you up on the hardest difficulty. Their ideas for combat aren't really bad, what with building a combo based on your goal to either lower cooldowns or heal yourself. Unfortunately, the feedback system of the game rewards you most for making low damage combos to milk as much extra xp as you can so you can unlock stuff. I also praise the team behind Arkham because the difference in polish really shows as this is clunky sometimes and lacks that excellent feel they hit out of the park. There's also very little compelling reason to use anything but your highest combo except for a handful of bullshit encounters which make you unable to do all eight hits.

The memory remix is probably the best part of the game in terms of realizing potential. It's got dead ends and red herrings and if the game had a lot more of them in place of the fighting it would have been a great game, although obviously more niche because it wouldn't have fighting. But they've got a good system and strong ideas. A really interesting game that did a lot of branching could be made out of this game's remix stuff.

I'm glad I played it because of the art and the remixes and the combat was tolerable if only because it leverages Arkham and the build-a-combo is exploitable if you just keep messing with your eight hit combo mid fight. I wouldn't have been mad had I paid $20 for it but then I have a high tolerance for games that have good ideas and nice design but poor execution. I just wish someone had told the action team to just go home because they let the other elements of the game down.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've only gotten a little ways into Remember Me and I feel like it should have been a Professor Layton type thing with the memory remixes and just omitted combat entirely.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

I've only gotten a little ways into Remember Me and I feel like it should have been a Professor Layton type thing with the memory remixes and just omitted combat entirely.

Agreed. But then I feel that way about most games. "Oh, good, you mean I get to use combo freeflow attacks and climb poo poo? Gee, what a revelation that I definitely haven't played before, this is so novel."

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

In this way, it's a perfect ps+ game. You get to experience the environment and why it was a bad game without losing any money for it.

It's worth playing through if you're one of those people that love experiencing many different kinds of games. The memory remixes and beautiful environments is enough to get you through 8 hours to beat the game. Just play it on easy so it goes by faster.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why do so many games have Climbing poo poo? Who even likes Climbing poo poo when it isn't explicitly the point of the game like in PoP or Tomb Raider?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

Why do so many games have Climbing poo poo? Who even likes Climbing poo poo when it isn't explicitly the point of the game like in PoP or Tomb Raider?
There's a checklist for action games these days and climbing poo poo seems to be on it, yeah. It's probably right between the check boxes for waist-high obstacles and QTEs.

Thank god the EDF developers don't have that checklist.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I unironically love Climbing poo poo with all my heart. Even when it's piss-easy and automated to the point you can't fail at it. Something about the animations of people climbing ledges resonates with me in a way I can't explain such that I can forgive it (PoP 2008, Enslaved) for being too easy. Also probably why I like the AC games more than I should.

From a game design perspective I guess it's seen as a relatively easy substitute for pacing. Most adventure games have some form of traversal to break up the action.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ever since Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, all third person action games must have you scale some kind of thing. Altair beat Drake to the market by three days, so you can blame Ubisoft for everything. I don't mind it, personally.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm cool with it when it makes sense thematically, AC, Uncharted and Infamous for example. Not when it's just padding or when producers get the idea that it's a good version of platforming for 3d titles like Remember Me and LoS 2.

Also, it's going to suck so bad, why am I excited for the new Deception?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I believe Shadow of the Colossus made climbing poo poo cool.

It had some crazy advanced technology for the PS2, like the pendulum motion Wander would go into if hanging on the underside of a moving colossus, both his and his horse's legs adjusting for the terrain, and being able to seamlessly move and climb over moving structures.

Uncharted 3 was pretty cool in that you could now climb on physics objects, and you can't help but notice that it's absent from the previous two games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Uncharted is the main influence on games like Remember Me. It's not just climbing poo poo but it's the automatic nature of it which is distinctly Uncharted. I actually like Uncharted's climbing but they make up for lack of control by making it feel consistent and putting you in awesome set pieces.

Remember Me on the other hand has pretty terrible climbing. It's just not consistent at all. Sometimes you won't be able to jump across an inch wide gap, sometimes you'll be able to make a superhuman leap. There's not really ever a good indication when you can do what, so often it's a guess. Usually the situations are so mundane though that it doesn't matter. You usually can take your time but when you can't it really sucks. The worst for me was still one part where there was a secret in a place where you had to climb up somewhere and then drop down. The drop was too big to climb back up so you just climb over a different wall that leads you back to the main path. The thing is that logically this wall should be climbable both ways but you can only climb over it from the one side because otherwise it would have been too easy to get the secret.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I loving hate climbing poo poo. It always looks loving goofy how your guy just vaults up 3 feet from a narrow rear end ledge. So far I think Assassin's Creed is the one to get it the most right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The original FFXIII was the worst. It had big shiny circles where you were "allowed" to climb over things, which I don't think even requires pressing a button in some places. Your character would just float/hop a few times to get over an obstacle.

• Locked thread