Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Stuntman posted:

loving bronies.

Mares ain't poo poo but horses and tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Aphtonites posted:

Not that I think Women's Day is idiotic, but the way this promotes it is pretty off.

I don't know why, but the whole "don't disrespect women" thing always bothered me. Women's Day is more to showcase famous women in STEM, literature, and arts, or to bring awareness of problems facing women around the world (pay inequality, rape, etc). 'Respecting women' sounds so chivalrous, like opening a door for a woman or saying ma'am. It just seems to oversimplify or even downplay serious issues women face in the world. The worst are the women who post "I AM A LADY RESPECT ME" when what they mean is, 'gentlemen should treat me nicely because of some antiquated notion of gender"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

into the void posted:

I don't know why, but the whole "don't disrespect women" thing always bothered me. Women's Day is more to showcase famous women in STEM, literature, and arts, or to bring awareness of problems facing women around the world (pay inequality, rape, etc). 'Respecting women' sounds so chivalrous, like opening a door for a woman or saying ma'am. It just seems to oversimplify or even downplay serious issues women face in the world. The worst are the women who post "I AM A LADY RESPECT ME" when what they mean is, 'gentlemen should treat me nicely because of some antiquated notion of gender"

M'lady. *tips hat*

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Richard Dawkins decided to be a dick on Twitter again, this time towards Muslim women: https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/442363441740009472

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zeether posted:

I ended up unliking them after they posted an image saying Obama spent his youth smoking weed in Hawaii while Putin was more successful.
To be fair, Obama did, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

Smoking your weight in weed is pretty much what you do if you go to Punahou. Well, that and cross-dress.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Zeether posted:

Richard Dawkins decided to be a dick on Twitter again, this time towards Muslim women: https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/442363441740009472

I think he's going after the religious extremism that swept over the area that forced women into that situation than the women themselves.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I certainly can't think of anything else that happened between 1972 and 2012 in Afghanistan besides Islam continuing to exist

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

Yeah protip the women in both of those pictures are muslim so maybe it's not the religion itself that's the problem dawkins.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

I think he's going after the religious extremism that swept over the area that forced women into that situation than the women themselves.

drat Islamists with their tanks and bombs and thousands of Russian troops. You'd almost think society collapsed after a hostile invasion, triggering a brutal civil war, or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeether posted:

Always relevant:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Captain Pissweak posted:

It's just been making things a bit awkward when all the ladies try to hit on him, and he has to explain. He just wants to streamline the process.

Clearly.

He just feels so guilty for always saying "Nay".

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Zeether posted:

At some point in Dick Dorkin's life, he decided to go from respected biologist and evolutionary theorist with sound ideas, an accessible way of communicating difficult concepts to the public and a sound grasp of what rapidly became the "dawkinsian synthesis" where his formulations of mutation, significance and drift became the industry standard for evolutionary biologists into some shambling king-of-the-reddit-athiests.

WHAT THE gently caress MAN! Blind Watchmaker is as hell of a book, his arguments with Gould touch on some of the cornerstones of reality relayed through the biology of organisms all around us. This is a man who said more about the nature of evolution and the very essence of who we are with a random computer program and "methinks tis like a weasel" than any other biologist in the 20th century.

And now he is Dick Dorkins, utter and complete loving twat.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

lenoon posted:

At some point in Dick Dorkin's life, he decided to go from respected biologist and evolutionary theorist with sound ideas, an accessible way of communicating difficult concepts to the public and a sound grasp of what rapidly became the "dawkinsian synthesis" where his formulations of mutation, significance and drift became the industry standard for evolutionary biologists into some shambling king-of-the-reddit-athiests.

WHAT THE gently caress MAN! Blind Watchmaker is as hell of a book, his arguments with Gould touch on some of the cornerstones of reality relayed through the biology of organisms all around us. This is a man who said more about the nature of evolution and the very essence of who we are with a random computer program and "methinks tis like a weasel" than any other biologist in the 20th century.

And now he is Dick Dorkins, utter and complete loving twat.

A lot of academics are incredibly goony goons no matter how smart and respected they are

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Yeah James Watson is about as big of a dickwad as Dawkins, but with the excuse of being a bit older.

made of bees has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Mar 9, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Considering how much he revved up his anti-Islam crap after the whole Rebecca Watson fiasco, I've always figured it was because, like so many smart but socially sheltered men, he was incensed that people could be mad at him and his super logical friends when obviously the MOOSLIMS were so much worse.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Dawkins wrote great books on evolutionary biology, and it's quite a pity that he's ruining himself by being a colossal douchebag.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Dawkins is a dick and there is plenty to complain about him, but I don't think he's really wrong about islam being oppressive towards women.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

Dawkins is a dick and there is plenty to complain about him, but I don't think he's really wrong about islam being oppressive towards women.

Certainly there are misogynistic beliefs and practices in Islam, and misogynist Islamic societies, but again, the women in the first picture were also Muslim. And, even if the US is in many ways a progressive country for women's right, the party that holds one of the chambers of congress is itself as dedicated to repressing women as basically any Islamic society, bar Saudi Arabia. Dawkins singles out Islam as a singular moral evil. The reason why he does that is because he's a racist, bigoted old man who scorns others for sins his own community commits, which he tries to minimize.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Apogee15 posted:

Only the more extreme and fundamentalist forms, which is also true of Christianity and many other religions.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Because he is using those comparative pictures of Afghanistan to say see what happens when islam comes in but ignores the fact it was a country of islamic peoples in both pictures, what those pictures actually show is the devastating effect the cold war had on afghanistan, both from the russian invasion and the us proxy war fought within it which completely obliterated the country and directly led to fanatics and hyper regressives ruling the country

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'm pretty sure he's far more anti-Islam than pro-women.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

karl fungus posted:

I'm pretty sure he's far more anti-Islam than pro-women.

100% agree

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

but soviets were atheits and were obviously superior so somethin something a-rabs are bad.

For content: if you non-ironically thinks the following music video is deep or 'makes u think', you're an idiot! And you shouldn't have to dig very deep to figure out why CPS is always on your case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frJ3e0hxPE

lyrics posted:

There’s fluoride in the water but nobody know that
It’s also a prominent ingredient in Prozac...
I know about the Vatican assassins and how they will get you
And how they cloned Barack Hussein Obama in a test tube

that line about obama is pretty :wtc: but it gets even more :catdrugs:

Dr Internet, MD posted:

The Bird Flu is a lie, the Swine Flu is a lie
Why would that even come as a surprise?
Yeah, the Polio vaccine made you die
It caused cancer and it cost a lot of people their lives

:ironicat:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I wouldn't take your political opinions from hip hop videos, especially ones by Vinnie Paz that open with a clip of David Icke (even if it's one of the more sane David Icke quotes).

NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

A bit of homophobia

I do wonder why libertarians are so desperate to risk the lives of people

This is just too perfect

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

NightWig posted:

A bit of homophobia

I do wonder why libertarians are so desperate to risk the lives of people

This is just too perfect

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Goddamn, it even has the same cropping that I intended to post.

NightWig, how did you come to know this stellar example of the human race?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't the MLP world an absolute monarchy.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Byzantine posted:

Yes but their benevolent dictator is universally loved and highly qualified and also it's a goddamned children's show ugh

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

This feels like a trap sprung except for the unfortunate fact the trapper knows enough about mlp to set it

NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

Kavak posted:

Goddamn, it even has the same cropping that I intended to post.

NightWig, how did you come to know this stellar example of the human race?

Through a friend really, and he didn't seem crazy then.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NightWig posted:

Through a friend really, and he didn't seem crazy then.

Did you just find him at a good time or did he slide into madness?

NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

Kavak posted:

Did you just find him at a good time or did he slide into madness?

The most likely thing is that he hid his madness.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The perfect segue into

lovely cropping? Check.
Unintelligible artifacts? Check.
Clearly repurposed image as evidence by mis-matched fonts? Oh yeah.

Bonus :jerkbag:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

It's not any more or less oppressive towards women than Christianity or Judaism is, in and of itself. Most of the poo poo it says about women is the same poo poo that the bible and the torah says (except some of the hadiths which are a whole other thing). It's only very recently that not oppressing women has even been a thing in modern christian nations, and we've benefited from being a hell of a lot more stable and un-hosed up by war and poverty for the most part, which is a much bigger difference than the religion issue.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Byzantine posted:

All the fawning about Putin has shown that american conservatives would be absolutely fine with an authoritarian dictator as long as he shares their views on guns, shirtlessness, and gay people.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Perestroika posted:

All the fawning about Putin has shown that american conservatives would be absolutely fine with an authoritarian dictator as long as he shares their views on guns, shirtlessness, and gay people.

I'll just leave this piece of ancient internet treasure here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0KlzUpLUM

"They're like Hitler, only moreso!
We'll rub their oil on our torso."

Still kind of racist even though it's making fun of GWB :eng99:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

NightWig posted:

This is just too perfect

Steampunk and fedoras? I can understand steampunk and top hats (and gears (and goggles (and gears on goggles))), but isn't steampunk supposed to be an 1870's kind of thing? That should be more Deadwood than Casablanca.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Steampunk and fedoras? I can understand steampunk and top hats (and gears (and goggles (and gears on goggles))), but isn't steampunk supposed to be an 1870's kind of thing? That should be more Deadwood than Casablanca.

The fedora apparently rose to popularity in 1889 after a play starring Bernhardt who played 'Princess Fedora' that wore the hat that became known as the fedora.

So I guess it fits the steampunk time period, and is probably more suited as an icon of that time than a top hat really *shrug*

Of course, it's probably more that the type of people into steampunk are the sort of losers into fedoras, rather than the history of the hat and them being 'historically accurate'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

SybilVimes posted:

The fedora apparently rose to popularity in 1889 after a play starring Bernhardt who played 'Princess Fedora' that wore the hat that became known as the fedora.

So I guess it fits the steampunk time period, and is probably more suited as an icon of that time than a top hat really *shrug*

Of course, it's probably more that the type of people into steampunk are the sort of losers into fedoras, rather than the history of the hat and them being 'historically accurate'.

Right, but during that period it was pretty much a woman's hat (being worn by Princess Fedora and all). It didn't go unisex and gain popularity with men until the early 1900s.

Which I suppose could still be considered a steampunk period, but considering the only pictures these people ever use to illustrate how ~manly and adult~ the fedora is happen to come from the 1940's and 50's (when it really became popular), it's possible they actually don't know.

But I think he's really just saying "Hats are important to the genre of steampunk", which is hilarious by itself because it's like saying "Boots are important to the genre of fantasy."

• Locked thread