Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

As a general note, since the changes in Vision you probably shouldn't really need or want Ruby Sightstone. Since there's now a hard cap on how many wards you can place (before Season 4, there wasn't) Ruby's extra charges don't really help you out enough to be worth the cost and 800 gold is a bit pricey for an extra 250 HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Awhile ago, someone said they made it so they can quick self cast when not targeting anything, and casting. Is that still possible, and if so, how do you do it?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Observe Me posted:

Awhile ago, someone said they made it so they can quick self cast when not targeting anything, and casting. Is that still possible, and if so, how do you do it?

It's a keybind in the options screen down below the (relatively new) SUPER BIGASS regular quickcast toggle buttons. Open up those dropdowns and bind smart+selfcast

Due to UPS being literally the worst shipping company ever, I'm stuck without a viable computer for the next couple days. If anybody sub-30 wants to post more Youtube videos or send me replays/links to streams, I've got nothing better to do this weekend but watch and give you a bunch of tips on what you're doing wrong/not doing right! I'm only Gold, so not really qualified to give tips to anyone who isn't still below 30 and horrible at the game, but you actual newbies I'd like to help while I'm bored :kiddo:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Observe Me posted:

If the ability is self target-able, you can also hit alt + the ability button to cast it on yourself. I always alt + W Soraka heal if I'm 1v1, for example.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I just tried Vayne in Dominion cause somebody else locked in the character I wanted to play, and I'm honestly disappointed she isn't good anymore cause she was a ton of fun to play, as much as I sucked with her otherwise. I kept forgetting to use my ult, I think I used it twice in a nearly 20 minute game. :downs:

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yasuo + Vel'Koz bot lane. That was a spammy nightmare. :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lightning Knight posted:

So I just tried Vayne in Dominion cause somebody else locked in the character I wanted to play, and I'm honestly disappointed she isn't good anymore cause she was a ton of fun to play, as much as I sucked with her otherwise. I kept forgetting to use my ult, I think I used it twice in a nearly 20 minute game. :downs:

Dude, Vayne's fine. Play her all you want. People talk a lot in here about how she isn't a good pick anymore, which is true, in that she's not played in the LCS anymore, but you could say that about a ton of champs. In Diamond I, okay, maybe they'll have a right to complain at a Vayne pick, but at normal elo you can play just about anyone if you're good with them. I supported a Vayne with Janna and absolutely CRUSHED a Lucian/Annie duo the other night. Like, couldn't go near the creeps after level 2, crushed. Down here, skill variance more than makes up for most champion inadequacies.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Lightning Knight posted:

How is she not good in Dom?? I wreck face with her since she can 1v1 most people including bruisers.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Play the champion you want. If anyone gives you poo poo for picking Vayne/Quinn/Poppy/any "low-tier" champ, ignore them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any "meta" picks to be honest aren't really to be considered in solo queue I think, sure some champions are stronger than others, but you can do well in solo queue with anyone if you take time to learn it. As tryhard as high-bronze to low-gold is, it doesn't really mean anything.

Most people riding the LCS picks like Leblanc, Gragas, Wukong, Panth etc are usually loving terrible anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It's not so much that I wouldn't play her, as I wouldn't spend the IP on her, really. I'm saving up for Jayce still as it is, though I might still play her while she's free.

And it's also the fact that I'm actually really bad with Vayne. She's a ton of fun, but drat I'm bad. :saddowns:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
If you wouldn't spend IP on someone because they're a lower-tier comp pick then you really don't want to spend anything on Jayce; at least Vayne was in some Korean games relatively recently. My advice would of course be to spend IP on whoever you enjoy instead.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smith Comma John posted:

If you wouldn't spend IP on someone because they're a lower-tier comp pick then you really don't want to spend anything on Jayce; at least Vayne was in some Korean games relatively recently. My advice would of course be to spend IP on whoever you enjoy instead.

I wouldn't spend IP on Vayne in the immediate future because she's not a great pick in a role I rarely play. Neither of these things alone really bothers me, but both of them mean she's not really a high priority for me. Jayce on the other hand isn't a great pick but he's in a role I actually play a lot, and I have a lot of fun with him so it doesn't really bother me. I'm not saying I'll never get Vayne, I'm just saying I'm not going to get her in the near future, but she was pretty fun for the two times I've played her in Dominion.

Edit: I'm also not terrible with Jayce. I'm pretty loving bad with Vayne though, like I would almost say that me playing ADC Vayne in a ranked game is basically trolling cause I would just save so many people with botched Condemns. :downsgun:

Edit 2: Yeah, I tried Vayne in SR and her range is utterly crippling, I got wrecked by a Varus/Thresh even though my first time Leona was doing her damndest to keep them off me. It was awful really, we won only cause our mid Ryze was a beast and their mid Fizz disconnected. She's a ton of fun but you just get poked down so hard by every other ADC and having to deal with Thresh every other game is awful enough, let alone as somebody who he can hit relatively easily.

Tumble dodges are pretty entertaining though. :allears:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 8, 2014

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Any tips on carrying as support? I'm tired of watching my adc happily keep farming as I stun theirs.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Any tips on carrying as support? I'm tired of watching my adc happily keep farming as I stun theirs.

Grab manamune and harass them to hell and back, also just steal farm, you want a push just loving push em if its that problematic.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Grab manamune and harass them to hell and back, also just steal farm, you want a push just loving push em if its that problematic.

How would building manamune help them win at all

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

This is terrible advice. You won't be able to complete Manamune until at least 15 minutes in, and until then the combat stats it gives you are +10 damage and nothing else. There are also very few supports besides Sona that can charge a Tear in a relevant amount of time. And while I'll steal a minion here and there sometimes, there are very few strategies short of actual trolling that are more reliable for getting your ADC to start raging.

I have more success as support when I get my ADC on the same page as me early on, telling him before minions spawn that I will be getting in their face and to back me up. To carry, I suggest tanky playmakers like Thresh, Leona, and Taric - you can help your ADC get kills and win the lane, and then if they're balls terrible, you can tank up and get kills ganking mid.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

To be honest, you just have to to do your best to keep your ADC going to the point he/she/they will be relevant in the late game via farm. Harass the gently caress out of the enemy but don't all in if he's a complete idiot.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's a combination of that and "I am backing the gently caress up and pinging you to back up and that bush isn't warded and their jung is mia and I am danger-pinging the bush STOP FARMING YOU MORON"

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

For any newbie junglers, if you have a second monitor..this is awesome: http://ertu.de/jungle/

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Is matchmaking bugged right now? I'm level 13 and my roommate is level 22 and when we duo queue normals it keeps putting us against level 30 ranked players who are clearly significantly better than either of us. It's kind of frustrating.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Tales of Woe posted:

Is matchmaking bugged right now? I'm level 13 and my roommate is level 22 and when we duo queue normals it keeps putting us against level 30 ranked players who are clearly significantly better than either of us. It's kind of frustrating.

I am about to start a game..we have a diamond and a gold on our team. I'm level 22.. :confused:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I just played Nasus for the first time in forever, and now that I know how to CS he's actually really fun.

I was playing against Renekton, and was playing really safe, had teleport, never died or anything.

There was this point where I had a bunch of Q stacks and was like hm, can I trade with him? So I bopped him and did a metric fuckton of damage and was like :stare:.

They surrendered cause the rest of my team apparently dominated while I was AFK farming, but it was at the point where I was going to back, buy, teleport back up, and murder Renekton before steamrolling the other team. Nasus is amazing. :allears:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Lightning Knight posted:

I was playing against Renekton, and was playing really safe, had teleport, never died or anything.

There was this point where I had a bunch of Q stacks and was like hm, can I trade with him? So I bopped him and did a metric fuckton of damage and was like :stare:.

Yeah, this is why thinking "I've got Nasus tower farming and terrified to move, I'm winning" is about the worst thing you can do. If you're gonna bully him, you need to do it hard enough to deny him last hits under tower, or try to freeze the lane outside the tower's range. Otherwise, you'll win lane for about 15-20 minutes, and then suddenly he'll walk up and smash you into paste when you're getting complacent.

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
I just rocked one game and another today with a cracked out Teemo build I've been playing in Top.

I build has been Runaan's Hurricane, Sorc Boots, Nashor's, Wit's End, Liandry's, and Death Cap.

I have been getting Boots and a Amplfying Tome on first back and get Recurve Bow asap. Rush the Runaan's, then got for Nashor's and Wit's End and in Mid Game I was outfarming my lane opponent so hard.

It's really fun. Also I was using the shrooms for vision and kiting purposes when things got hairy and had to GTFO.

This build plays so well with Teemo's hit and run theme and it pisses people off when you start to roam and push down other lanes, and they head over there and you just keep pushing your own lane. The mushrooms are such a good security so you know when to head back to your lane when it is being pushed.

The Liandry's and Deathcap are just icing, and yes I have not ran any armor items because most of the time I am running and kiting fools into my shrooms while the jungler catches them and I turn around and clean up.

The only times I have died is when I get caught by like 4 of the enemy and bait them into mushrooms and have the rest of the team clean up.

Would do again. I don't mind the nerfs to the shrooms. Attack speed and darts flying everywhere for the waveclears and CS is so much worth.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GoldenSeraph posted:

I build has been Runaan's Hurricane, Sorc Boots, Nashor's, Wit's End, Liandry's, and Death Cap.

You should get (as per a Diamond Teemo main in the main thread) Liandry's first, into straight AP. Don't get Wit's End or Runaan's, Wit's End isn't really for Teemo and Runaan's isn't a good item period.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah, as this thread frequently states, Runaan's Hurricane sounds awesome but is overpriced and underpowered in practice. Nashor's Tooth should be all the attack speed you need on AP Teemo.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
So, Teemo. I wanted to branch out into different roles, specifically top lane, and you guys suggested Teemo as a ranged top laner.

Hooooooly poo poo.

I have never felt more in control of a game than today. My first time playing Teemo ever, and my first time going top in PvP. I'm duo queue with a gold ranked player, matched against a level 30 Riven in game. She gets three kills on me at the start of the game while I figured out my ranges, and then I hit level 6. My KDA at the end of the 45 minute game? 3/3/13. Once I hit level six, I was an unkillable kiting machine, and when Riven decided to roam to make up for the denied farm and kills, I pushed down her towers one by one, leaving a lovingly crafted forest of shrooms for her to stumble into in her desperation to stop me. Every bush, a shroom, every turn, a shroom, wide open space, a shroom.

3/3/13 isn't a shitstomp score, but by god I felt like I could kill anyone by the end of it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I have yet to play as/against a Teemo and just reading about him here makes me angry. (Well, not really. But you get me)

Stealth wards that are also landmines that are also slows sound tedious as hell to play against.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

So I just played Nasus for the first time in forever, and now that I know how to CS he's actually really fun.

They surrendered cause the rest of my team apparently dominated while I was AFK farming, but it was at the point where I was going to back, buy, teleport back up, and murder Renekton before steamrolling the other team. Nasus is amazing. :allears:

The best feeling when playing Nasus is when you stroll out of lane after farming Q for 20 to 30 minutes, turn on ghost, mash your ult, run into the middle of their team, and delete their carry.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
They did nerf them recently. Now they aren't so likely to just kill you. The thing I've noticed about Teemo is that he gets harder to player at higher levels. I have given him up completely after reaching 30 because the opponents I now face top (Jax, Renekton, Shyvana) all insta-close and kill him in two hits.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The Dregs posted:

They did nerf them recently. Now they aren't so likely to just kill you. The thing I've noticed about Teemo is that he gets harder to player at higher levels. I have given him up completely after reaching 30 because the opponents I now face top (Jax, Renekton, Shyvana) all insta-close and kill him in two hits.

Best thing to do then is relax. Put your shroom on their feet, Q them, put a few autos in, ignite, and then put down the second shroom. If you still think you can't get them down and you're at about 25% hp, W and flash your fuzzy butt away. You just gotta make folks realize that jumping in on the landmine guy is a bad idea, and nothing stops lane aggression like burning to death at Teemo's feet.

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
The game I had last night was what made me love my build for Teemo Top. It was a Blind game and I got paired against a Volibear and that matchup was such a cake walk. The enemy Jungler Yi was so mad because I kept dragging him up to my lane and had to chase me down through my mushroom'd bushes while I kited him to death. Attack speed, like a lot of attack speed on Teemo is hilarious. He said to me "When I get my hands on you Teemo I am going to make you pay dearly"

Also the added security of having shrooms lining my whole lane to let me know if someone was trying to push when I was roaming was comforting. I had already pushed to inhibitor at that point and was just split pushing and farming to complete my build.

Teemo is hit and run, and its awesome. The enemy teamed raged and told us to report Volibear for feeding me. Good times.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Holy gently caress, I had a game of League last night where our first pick and mid-laner did not ban Kassadin and let him through and Kassadin got huge, we loving won which is what scares me more than anything.

Make sure you guys ban or get Kassadin banned in draft picks/ranked guys, try to chicken his ban to get the enemy to do it, but make sure the fucker is banned. That game gave me a blistering headache trying to keep every plate spinning as the jungler so we could stay in the game.

Scoreboard.jpg to the max (sorry) but I am actually proud of us winning this game, because it looked hopeless 15 minutes in.

E: Hadn't noticed Lulus build before, she was the support too, haha.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 9, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

I main support, and right now I've been playing an absurd amount of Sona and winning handily against opponents like Blitzcrank, Thresh, and Leona. Carrying as support requires basically one of two things. Either a massive all-in potential and an adc who's willing to come out and get some kills (which is hard to find at lower levels - I'm mid-silver and the reason Sona's so viable in silver is because people at my level seriously aren't good at co-ordinating all-ins), or a support who can deal good damage at range and force their adc away from your minions or risk dying.

The first way is by far the most effective and the easiest - pick up a support like Leona, Thresh, or Annie, tell your adc 'all-in at level 2', hit the minions in the first few waves so you hit level 2 first and just go in hard and get fed. If you're having trouble getting your adc to engage, Blitzcrank is an excellent choice at lower levels because it brings the engage to your adc. He's not very strong right now, but a good hook still wins games.

The second way is to pick up one of the more utility supports with poke (Lulu, Sona, maaaybe Soraka), get the new Spellthief's Edge (which is so good it's seeing LCS play over the traditional Doran's Shield start) and just poo poo out a ton of damage onto one of the enemy laners (the adc is advised, if possible). If you can zone them away from their minions early, they'll be denied xp, gold, and if you get a lot of damage down early you dictate the lane hard simply because your enemies can't afford to all-in you. I've had quite a few first blood assists (and some first bloods) by chunking down the enemy as Sona, waiting for them to hard engage, and using the fact that I'm on 100% HP and they're on 40% to feed the hell out of my lane.

I personally think it's hella fun, plus there's no point at which you'll burn all your skills as Leona on the enemy adc and see your adc walking back to tower like nothing's going on.

In addition, support is an 'easier' role than adc - you're not spending any attention on trying to kill minions, so you have attention free to do other stuff. Getting good wards down, keeping an eye on where the jungler is likely to be and pinging out wards for your jungler are the little near-invisible things you can do that will save your team deaths and get you successful ganks. Also, when you see your jungler take a blue, a red, or a dragon, time it in the chat (chances are they're not doing it at lower levels) which means you'll be able to organize taking buffs and dragon more easily.

Flipswitch posted:

Make sure you guys ban or get Kassadin banned in draft picks/ranked guys, try to chicken his ban to get the enemy to do it, but make sure the fucker is banned. That game gave me a blistering headache trying to keep every plate spinning as the jungler so we could stay in the game.

Yeah, holy poo poo. Two rounds of nerfs and I finally felt comfortable letting a Kassadin through the ban phase. Despite going something like 10-0 across the team in the laning phase with like 3 towers and a dragon and 100 cs up on the enemy team, the guy still almost carried his team to victory.

edit: vvvvv

I thought Kassadin's nerfs had gone through, but he's had one round of (smaller) nerfs and one big lot slated to come through on the next patch, I think.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not so much that I wouldn't play her, as I wouldn't spend the IP on her, really. I'm saving up for Jayce still as it is, though I might still play her while she's free.

As SCJ advised, don't pick up Jayce. I love the guy and I picked him up but after his dominance in Season 3 toplane he and his primary item (Manamune) got nerfed into the ground, to the point where he's hardly usable, even in Solo Queue, and a lot of the common-pick toplaners poo poo all over him.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been playing Jayce after I picked him up and he seems legit with the D-Shield nerfs.

Then again I do weird poo poo and I'm trying him as a jungler at the moment.

occipitallobe posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo. Two rounds of nerfs and I finally felt comfortable letting a Kassadin through the ban phase. Despite going something like 10-0 across the team in the laning phase with like 3 towers and a dragon and 100 cs up on the enemy team, the guy still almost carried his team to victory.
Have any of his nerfs gone through yet? E: I mean if they have and he's still that ridic. :psyduck:

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 9, 2014

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
So is it more or less likely that I'll get on teams where multiple people fight over a lane during champ selection and then decide a minute and a half into the game that I should go top lane as Amumu even though all of my masteries, abilities and item purchases were all done on the assumption I was going to jungle if I start playing draft instead of blind pick?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Have any of his nerfs gone through yet?

Yes, his base damages are awful now compared to before and his silence duration went from 1.5-2.8 to 1-2.

Crazy Larry posted:

So is it more or less likely that I'll get on teams where multiple people fight over a lane during champ selection and then decide a minute and a half into the game that I should go top lane as Amumu even though all of my masteries, abilities and item purchases were all done on the assumption I was going to jungle if I start playing draft instead of blind pick?

People generally figure stuff out earlier in draft modes but sometimes dodging a game is worth the 3 minute penalty. If I see people bitching in champ select I usually leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monathin posted:

As SCJ advised, don't pick up Jayce. I love the guy and I picked him up but after his dominance in Season 3 toplane he and his primary item (Manamune) got nerfed into the ground, to the point where he's hardly usable, even in Solo Queue, and a lot of the common-pick toplaners poo poo all over him.

It didn't feel that way when I tried him. Maybe it's just the level I'm at, but I rarely lost lane playing him. Games yes, such is the life of a top laner, but not usually lane.

Plus he's the only top laner I've ever felt dominant against Teemo with, and he's pretty fun without me being rear end with him.

• Locked thread