Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arkane posted:

As to the "limited resources" in the long term, we are not going to run out of energy. We have such an abundance of natural gas that we export it. We are also examining whether to start exporting crude oil again due to some excess supply. We have large supplies of uranium. By the time access to fuels becomes a challenge, we will have long since moved on to other energy sources (i.e. tapping into that radiating star we orbit or re-creating our own mini-stars with fusion plants here on Earth).
Do you have the slightest idea what the relationship between fossil fuels and agriculture is?

It doesn't really look like you do.

e: P.S. relevant info

Evil_Greven posted:

...there's an estimated (in 2000) 230 trillion kg (230 gigatonnes) of crude oil in the earth.

So, it'd take 92,000 days for the U.S. to consume all the world's oil at 2011 rates. 250 years seems like a lot, but remember one little thing - the U.S. only accounts for 22% of global oil consumption. This cuts the figure to 70 years... from 2000... assuming no increases/decreases in consumption...

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!
In all fairness, I doubt peak whatever is going to hit us before global warming will. But don't take my word for it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arkane posted:

Unsustainable means that our agricultural output cannot be maintained. That there is some barrier on the horizon. So if we're producing 100 tons of agriculture, we cannot maintain that 100 tons of agriculture in the long run. We're in agreement on what sustainable means, ya?

So how do you reconcile this with the fact that our agricultural output is increasing every single year, and in the US our output is GROWING FASTER than the population (the export statistic)?

"A car crash means that our car will rapidly come to a stop. As you can see, we've depressed the accelerator to the floor and the car has continuously increased in speed. How can you possibly predict that a crash will occur based on these data?"

Again, unless you have an alternate hypothesis for oil formation that doesn't involve thousands of years of tectonic forces, oil is a finite resource, and thus at some point we will peak. Yes, as fossil fuels become more and more scarce, either yield per acre will drop or food prices will increase along with the cost of the required inputs. Or more likely, some combination of the two will result, as market forces take their course. There won't be a single spigot of oil that gets turned off and everyone switches off fertilizer, as oil costs run up there will be a couple market shifts that occur. In rich countries it'll be more of the "food costs increase" side of things. In poor countries yields will drop as people can no longer afford fertilizers, and increased food prices will drive starvation (food insecurity).

There's actually a couple barriers on the horizon.

Totally apart from the fossil fuel inputs (not even just the energy, fossil-fuel derived nitrogen fertilizers and pesticides are critical to modern high-yield industrial agriculture), there's also a limited supply of phosphate. They're also a key input for some alternative energy sources like algal biofuel. It's a much longer window than fossil fuels, we probably have at least a hundred-year supply, and we could stretch that with more intensive sewage recycling, but our current system is nowhere near closed-cycle and there's no drive to make it so.

The other way out of decreased yield is of course to put more land under cultivation. That's extremely undesirable for a variety of reasons, not least the increased demand for water, which despite its renewable nature is used at unsustainable rates in key breadbasket regions.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 10, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Squalid posted:

You say we should do more to insure access to affordable vegetables. Well you might be interested in the fact the U.S. government provides perverse subsidies that incentivize meat consumption over healthful vegetables and nuts. source Would you object to transferring those meat subsidies to more healthful vegetable foods? It would obviously lead to an increase in meat prices, yes, but there would be a concurrent decrease in the price of alternatives.

I would rather see the oil and gas subsidies applied to those vegetable producers. I'd rather not take any action that could result in an increase in the price of meat without a direct subsidy to the working poor, IE James Hansen's carbon tax.

Dusz posted:

In all fairness, I doubt peak whatever is going to hit us before global warming will. But don't take my word for it.

Peak oil is already happening and is only going to escalate as the global EROEI falls. If you don't think Earth's finite resource limits are going to start impacting prices, perhaps you've been asleep for the past 5 years?

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 10, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

down with slavery posted:

Peak oil is already happening and is only going to escalate as the global EROEI falls. If you don't think Earth's finite resource limits are going to start impacting prices, perhaps you've been asleep for the past 5 years?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Yes I'm aware that production of liquid fuels has not peaked. Unfortunately that's not really what peak oil is about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_returned_on_energy_invested

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I would rather see the oil and gas subsidies applied to those vegetable producers. I'd rather not take any action that could result in an increase in the price of meat without a direct subsidy to the working poor, IE James Hansen's carbon tax.

Why not both? These are not mutually exclusive actions. If we could replace animal protein in the American diet with vegetable, it would almost certainly reduce carbon emissions without harming American health. It is an admittedly small step towards solving our emission problem, but I think what we need is a lot of small steps. Is there any problem with my reasoning?

Also doing anything that increases the cost of oil and gas is likely to impact food prices, fyi.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

"A car crash means that our car will rapidly come to a stop. As you can see, we've depressed the accelerator to the floor and the car has continuously increased in speed. How can you possibly predict that a crash will occur based on these data?"

Again, unless you have an alternate hypothesis for oil formation that doesn't involve thousands of years of tectonic forces, oil is a finite resource, and thus at some point we will peak. Yes, as fossil fuels become more and more scarce, either yield per acre will drop or food prices will increase along with the cost of the required inputs. Or more likely, some combination of the two will result, as market forces take their course. There won't be a single spigot of oil that gets turned off and everyone switches off fertilizer, as oil costs run up there will be a couple market shifts that occur. In rich countries it'll be more of the "food costs increase" side of things. In poor countries yields will drop as people can no longer afford fertilizers, and increased food prices will drive starvation (food insecurity).

There's actually a couple barriers on the horizon. Totally apart from the fossil fuel inputs (not even just the energy, fossil-fuel derived nitrogen fertilizers and pesticides are critical to modern high-yield industrial agriculture), there's also a limited supply of phosphate. They're also a key input for some alternative energy sources like algal biofuel. It's a much longer window than fossil fuels, we probably have at least a hundred-year supply, and we could stretch that with more intensive sewage recycling, but our current system is nowhere near closed-cycle and there's no drive to make it so.

Fixed nitrogen has been and can be made from atmospheric nitrogen. The original process sourced it's hydrogen from water. Though Natural Gas has taken over.

N2 + 3 H2 → 2 NH3

Fixed nitrogen for fertilizers will never be in shortage for as long as we have power to run the process. That power will be provided when it comes to facing starvation. Be it Atomz or other base load options.

That said our farming still needs to work on fertilizer efficiency, since most of it ends up in the oceans causing huge problems.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

Also doing anything that increases the cost of oil and gas is likely to impact food prices, fyi.

Read James Hansen's proposal and try again. You may have missed the

quote:

without a direct subsidy to the working poor
. A carbon tax based on usage that's redistributed per capita would shift the costs from the consumers to the producers of goods. Will prices go up? Sure. Will the revenue distributed make up for it? I don't see how not.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yeah, jeez, don't you know the 2012 World Energy Outlook said oil production increased for a year? That means peak oil is dead forever! Never mind that the 2013 report drastically slashed those predictions, and that shale oil has a lovely EROI, we can all keep using all the fossil fuels we want forever and ever!

quote:

Among the big energy stories of 2013, “peak oil” -- the once-popular notion that worldwide oil production would soon reach a maximum level and begin an irreversible decline -- was thoroughly discredited. The explosive development of shale oil and other unconventional fuels in the United States helped put it in its grave.

As the year went on, the eulogies came in fast and furious. “Today, it is probably safe to say we have slayed ‘peak oil’ once and for all, thanks to the combination of new shale oil and gas production techniques,” declared Rob Wile, an energy and economics reporter for Business Insider. Similar comments from energy experts were commonplace, prompting an R.I.P. headline at Time.com announcing, “Peak Oil is Dead.”

Not so fast, though. The present round of eulogies brings to mind the Mark Twain’s famous line: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” Before obits for peak oil theory pile up too high, let's take a careful look at these assertions. Fortunately, the International Energy Agency (IEA), the Paris-based research arm of the major industrialized powers, recently did just that -- and the results were unexpected. While not exactly reinstalling peak oil on its throne, it did make clear that much of the talk of a perpetual gusher of American shale oil is greatly exaggerated. The exploitation of those shale reserves may delay the onset of peak oil for a year or so, the agency’s experts noted, but the long-term picture “has not changed much with the arrival of [shale oil].”

The IEA’s take on this subject is especially noteworthy because its assertion only a year earlier that the U.S. would overtake Saudi Arabia as the world’s number one oil producer sparked the “peak oil is dead” deluge in the first place. Writing in the 2012 edition of its World Energy Outlook, the agency claimed not only that “the United States is projected to become the largest global oil producer” by around 2020, but also that with U.S. shale production and Canadian tar sands coming online, “North America becomes a net oil exporter around 2030.”

That November 2012 report highlighted the use of advanced production technologies -- notably horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing (“fracking”) -- to extract oil and natural gas from once inaccessible rock, especially shale. It also covered the accelerating exploitation of Canada’s bitumen (tar sands or oil sands), another resource previously considered too forbidding to be economical to develop. With the output of these and other “unconventional” fuels set to explode in the years ahead, the report then suggested, the long awaited peak of world oil production could be pushed far into the future.

The release of the 2012 edition of World Energy Outlook triggered a global frenzy of speculative reporting, much of it announcing a new era of American energy abundance. “Saudi America” was the headline over one such hosanna in the Wall Street Journal. Citing the new IEA study, that paper heralded a coming “U.S. energy boom” driven by “technological innovation and risk-taking funded by private capital.” From then on, American energy analysts spoke rapturously of the capabilities of a set of new extractive technologies, especially fracking, to unlock oil and natural gas from hitherto inaccessible shale formations. “This is a real energy revolution,” the Journal crowed.

But that was then. The most recent edition of World Energy Outlook, published this past November, was a lot more circumspect. Yes, shale oil, tar sands, and other unconventional fuels will add to global supplies in the years ahead, and, yes, technology will help prolong the life of petroleum. Nonetheless, it’s easy to forget that we are also witnessing the wholesale depletion of the world’s existing oil fields and so all these increases in shale output must be balanced against declines in conventional production. Under ideal circumstances -- high levels of investment, continuing technological progress, adequate demand and prices -- it might be possible to avert an imminent peak in worldwide production, but as the latest IEA report makes clear, there is no guarantee whatsoever that this will occur.
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Peak-Oil-becomes-an-Issue-Again-after-the-IEA-Revised-its-Predictions.html

Frankly even before considering predictions, that chart doesn't support your argument. Oil production has not continued to increase since 2004. It hasn't begun to decline severely, but peak oil doesn't say that the decline is necessarily instant. Most predictions are rather the opposite. In comparison over the previous decade ('94-'04) energy production increased ~20%.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 10, 2014

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Read James Hansen's proposal and try again. You may have missed the
. A carbon tax based on usage that's redistributed per capita would shift the costs from the consumers to the producers of goods. Will prices go up? Sure. Will the revenue distributed make up for it? I don't see how not.

I have not read his proposal. Would you mind posting the relevant parts? It still doesn't change my basic argument: If we can cut carbon emissions without harming our health, we should do so. Reducing per capita meat consumption is one area we can make cuts, and doing so could improve our health too, so long as we don't botch the execution. Why shouldn't the government attempt to do this? Can you give me any reasons?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

I have not read his proposal. Would you mind posting the relevant parts? It still doesn't change my basic argument: If we can cut carbon emissions without harming our health, we should do so. Reducing per capita meat consumption is one area we can make cuts, and doing so could improve our health too, so long as we don't botch the execution. Why shouldn't the government attempt to do this? Can you give me any reasons?

I'm not saying the govenrment shouldn't try to encourage people to move towards healthier alternatives, just that increasing the cost of meat to the poor is not the way to go about it.

James Hansen's proposal: http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

What if we offset the increase in meat prices with, say, a decrease in the price of less carbon intensive legumes and vegetables? It wouldn't hurt anyone would it?

If it seems like I'm badgering you I'm sorry, I'm trying to make a point. When discussing emissions reductions everybody has a sacred cow. Nobody wants to be the one who cuts back. Well the government has to do something, it's been pleading with us to cut back on meat and gas and dope and weed for years, and it hasn't done jack poo poo. What do you propose? Rationing?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

What if we offset the increase in meat prices with, say, a decrease in the price of less carbon intensive legumes and vegetables? It wouldn't hurt anyone would it?

If it seems like I'm badgering you I'm sorry, I'm trying to make a point. When discussing emissions reductions everybody has a sacred cow. Nobody wants to be the one who cuts back. Well the government has to do something, it's been pleading with us to cut back on meat and gas and dope and weed for years, and it hasn't done jack poo poo. What do you propose? Rationing?

I understand that cows produce lots of green house gasses. I think there are better ways to discourage consumption of meat aside from raising prices, such as ensuring that fresh fruits/vegetables are available at low prices and improving our nutritional education, both for children and adults. Point being that there are ways to reduce consumption (or shift it to "better" meats) in the first world that don't involve pricing people out of the market.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Yes I'm aware that production of liquid fuels has not peaked. Unfortunately that's not really what peak oil is about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_returned_on_energy_invested
It's exactly what peak oil is about. It's why it's called 'peak oil,' in fact.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Frankly even before considering predictions, that chart doesn't support your argument.
My argument? I posted a chart, and nothing else.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

It's exactly what peak oil is about. It's why it's called 'peak oil,' in fact. EREOI is a different and widely misapplied concept that I suppose people are turning to because peak oil is really obviously not happening.

Whatever you have to tell yourself I guess

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Whatever you have to tell yourself I guess
define: peak oil

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

I don't really care what wikipedia page you want to link, EROEI is a real thing and it's the reason we're going to continue to see inflation adjusted energy prices continue to go up, it really doesn't matter whether crude oil production has peaked or not. The problem with looking at oil singularly is that there are other ways to produce liquid fuels (surprise, these take much more energy than conventional extraction methods and are dirtier)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How much do you think that would do dude? Are you going to to switch the beef in your chili for beans because squash is cheaper? That is not enough, because it is objectively rational policy to discourage meat consumption. We want it to go down. It going down is good. A sanction on meat consumption is rational.

Also that Hansen proposal would massively increase the price of meat.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

I don't really care what wikipedia page you want to link, EROEI is a real thing and it's the reason we're going to continue to see inflation adjusted energy prices continue to go up, it really doesn't matter whether crude oil production has peaked or not. The problem with looking at oil singularly is that there are other ways to produce liquid fuels (surprise, these take much more energy than conventional extraction methods and are dirtier)
If you want to say that the prices of energy, particularly of fossil fuels, will continue to rise, I don't disagree with you. That's just a different thing from peak oil. Particularly, it lacks most of the singularly catastrophic implications which were associated with it, as they depended on oil being simply unavailable at any realistic price.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

How much do you think that would do dude? Are you going to to switch the beef in your chili for beans because squash is cheaper? That is not enough, because it is objectively rational policy to discourage meat consumption. We want it to go down. It going down is good. A sanction on meat consumption is rational.

Oooh, "rational" what an adorable word to use. Rational for who exactly? Those of us who can afford to eat meat and get more than enough in our diet?

quote:

Also that Hansen proposal would massively increase the price of meat.

Read. My. Posts. Quoting myself for the second time:

quote:

without a direct subsidy to the working poor

Which is exactly what Hansen's program is

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

If you want to say that the prices of energy, particularly of fossil fuels, will continue to rise, I don't disagree with you. That's just a different thing from peak oil. Particularly, it lacks most of the singularly catastrophic implications which were associated with it, as they depended on oil being simply unavailable at any realistic price.

No those catastrophes are very possible, it's just more about EROEI than anything. Barring an event that drastically lowers EROEI (invention of fusion, a serious bout of fission plant construction, major un-predictable technological enhancements), we will continue to see prices go up and it does stand to reason that prices can go up to a point where they begin to have a major negative effect on the economy, primarily due to how reliant we are on cheap energy for our society as we know it to function.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oooh, "rational" what an adorable word to use. Rational for who exactly? Those of us who can afford to eat meat and get more than enough in our diet?

Read. My. Posts. Quoting myself for the second time:

Which is exactly what Hansen's program is

It's rational because it logically follows the premises I carefully established in my first post, specifically:
1. We should try and improve people nutrition and health
2. We should try to reduce carbon emissions
3. Reducing meat consumption in the United States would not harm our health and would decrease emissions

If 3. is true, we should take steps to reduce meat consumption. This is logical. It is rational. Of course we should not reduce access for the food insecure. I have always been careful to maintain we should avoid that situation. Yet this is not most Americans. Most Americans buy meat because they like it, and they can afford it. How do we discourage their consumption?

Also Hansen's proposal would have enormous ripple effects throughout the whole economy that are hard to predict. It's also incredibly unlikely it will be implemented. What's something small we can do to fix the problems in the American diet in the near term?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Peak oil and EREOI are quite different in my understanding which admittedly may be fuzzy. Peak oil (peak anything) occurs when half the defined resource has been extracted from a finite pool. There is an algorithm for predicting that for a particular well or basin. This is not exactly the same as production in the way the market would value production. It best not to simply conflate the two. EROEI is even more difficult. It is pretty straightforward in a laboratory setting, but much more difficult when the bounds of the system and systemic effect are a bit more complicated to define. In both cases relationship to market values and measures such as GDP is not some well understood or fixed thing. Shifts to less energy intensive sectors, efficiency gains (artificially bounded or not) and changes in demand all effect that. Demand for crude is predicted to drop, which will drive a bunch of interesting behaviors from the oil majors if it turns out to be reliably true over time. Efficiency gains kick in Jevon's paradox in some form or other, depending on how you interpret that.

When the market values an oil company they look at production and one of the key measures is at what percentage they are able to replenish reserves. That's not just oil in the ground. It is how much oil they are able to get out of the ground in their upstream operations. All their downstream is typically necessary, but not a key measure in valuation. Most of that is known and finite. The major basins are considered discovered. That replenishment figure dropped steadily for oil majors over the last decade, specifically in relationship to crude. From last decade the oil majors have been replenishing about half their reserves at a lower rate mostly from gas measured in BOE. The other half is still actually oil. The finite nature of the known exploitable basins and production values is what drives the majors to exploit tar sands, deep water and frack, none of which are as profitable as the existing basins many of which have peaked. This has upped replenishment rates in terms of BOE. That is, the high EROEI basins are peaking or peaked driving the exploration into lower EROEI areas most of which constitute considerably more risk and environmental degradation even before we start counting emissions (methane in fracking, etc.). Because the economic measures and baselines were created based on infinite oil with no global ramifications all the economic measures are highly suspect.

For an interesting picture Google "Dakota boom satellite". You will see a night image with similar illumination of a city somewhere around the size of Denver where no such city exists. Some of that is rig lighting, but the majority is from flaring.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

It's rational because it logically follows the premises I carefully established in my first post, specifically:
1. We should try and improve people nutrition and health
2. We should try to reduce carbon emissions
3. Reducing meat consumption in the United States would not harm our health and would decrease emissions

If 3. is true, we should take steps to reduce meat consumption. This is logical. It is rational. Of course we should not reduce access for the food insecure. I have always been careful to maintain we should avoid that situation. Yet this is not most Americans. Most Americans buy meat because they like it, and they can afford it. How do we discourage their consumption?

I already told you, improved childhood/adult education and ensuring that other alternatives are affordable and widely available. Once we've gotten there you can start talking about putting sin taxes on red meat.

quote:

Also Hansen's proposal would have enormous ripple effects throughout the whole economy that are hard to predict. It's also incredibly unlikely it will be implemented. What's something small we can do to fix the problems in the American diet in the near term?

Hahaha yes of course "it's too much" What ripple effects would it have exactly? Considering an amount wasn't even proposed. Walk me through the "logical" "rational" explanation here.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Well it would massively increase the price of all consumer goods and put a huge amount of money in consumers hands. Have you looked into it any farther than the single powerpoint slide explaining it in the 17 minute video you made me skip through?

or are you making up excuses for not doing anything that might meaningfully contribue to climate change mitigation?

How many people do you think you could educate out of eating meat? Because normally when I hear "education" come up in these discussions it's a euphemism for "do nothing"

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

Well it would massively increase the price of all consumer goods and put a huge amount of money in consumers hands. Have you looked into it any farther than the single powerpoint slide explaining it in the 17 minute video you made me skip through?

I don't know if you missed the hint last post, but no numbers were discussed. Why are you already talking about magnitude (see: "massively" and "huge")? Any plan like that would start tiny (see: fractions of pennies) and slowly grow so we can monitor its effects on the economy.

quote:

or are you making up excuses for not doing anything that might meaningfully contribue to climate change mitigation?

Adorable

quote:

How many people do you think you could educate out of eating meat? Because normally when I hear "education" come up in these discussions it's a euphemism for "do nothing"

Lots actually, having worked in an inner city school gave me a lot of experience working with youth who come from homes where they were not exposed to "healthy" eating habits. Although granted, making healthier alternatives more affordable would be more beneficial, I don't think there's anything wrong with putting more emphasis on health in our education systems, as opposed to say, chemistry, physics, or passing standardized tests.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Holy gently caress dude fine, the Hansen proposal sounds great to me. I'd love if we implemented it. It would also increase the price of meat compared to vegetables, because meat is more carbon intensive. That's good. I'm all for subsidizing the poor's access to good food too, even meat. I've argued that since the beginning.

You know gently caress it, you're getting defensive and obnoxious. It's not worth my time to continue this conversation.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

It's exactly what peak oil is about. It's why it's called 'peak oil,' in fact.

Your production chart is two years old. The prediction by Peak Oil enthusiasts is not that production will suddenly drop off, but rather that the expense of harvesting oil will increase, and the rate at which production increases will begin to decline, and then plateau, and then fall, until production itself generally flattens. Since demand will increase at the same rate due to population expansion, this will be a Big Problem. No one can say when the second derivative of production will turn negative, whether that happens this year or in 10 years is anyone's guess, imo. But as long as we have a predominantly petroleum-fueled world, we will absolutely be able to look forward to peak oil at some point in the future.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

The rising cost of extraction will drive up the price at the same time that demand due to population expansion continues to drive up price. Eventually, the energy cost of extracting oil from the ground will be equal to the energy achieved, at which point there's no point in extracting. We'll never get to that point, though, because the price of oil will become ludicrously high before that happens, causing the various catastrophes predicted by peak oil enthusiasts.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Sogol posted:

Peak oil and EREOI are quite different in my understanding which admittedly may be fuzzy. Peak oil (peak anything) occurs when half the defined resource has been extracted from a finite pool. There is an algorithm for predicting that for a particular well or basin. This is not exactly the same as production in the way the market would value production. It best not to simply conflate the two.

Hubbert's curves (from which the "peak" expression derives) are extraction curves, I don't know that extraction peaks necessarily correspond to 50% depletion of the resource. EROEI comes into it because it's thought that declining EROEI is responsible for the peak and decline phenomenon- it's the energetic manifestation of it being increasingly difficult/more expensive to extract from a particular production site. I think you can have pretty steady EROEI beyond 50% depletion depending on what's being produced, though.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Squalid posted:

You know gently caress it, you're getting defensive and obnoxious. It's not worth my time to continue this conversation.

Really? You're going to drop "or are you making up excuses for not doing anything that might meaningfully contribue to climate change mitigation?" and then try to concern troll me when I call you out on ignoring what I actually said? :getout:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
do you guys really need Arkane to post more so that you can argue against a denier rather than kill each other over which way to split a hair

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

When you're eating cat food out of a can with your fingers in the remnants of a destroyed wal mart years from now I hope you'll think back and fondly remember all the time you spent arguing about peak oil on the internet.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I myself was wondering if any of the disputants were vegetarian or what their relationship might be to that.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Sogol posted:

I myself was wondering if any of the disputants were vegetarian or what their relationship might be to that.

Yup, though I'll note the discussion is (usually) going to deteriorate markedly once we make this about veg vs non-veg identities.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I don't really see that there is any argument. Unless your arguing that people need meat, then surely it's just a matter of accepting that maybe there's too many people on the planet to keep up with us all having everything we want food-wise.

Meat is much less efficient to produce, and the planet's food production is at breaking-point, even with all the fancy tech we use. We either reduce the energy needed to feed one person (e: and space), reduce the number of people, or starve. Cutting down on or removing altogether meat is a simple way to do that. Sure, I'd love steak for every meal, but I'd like a collection of antique sports cars too.

And that's before touching the issue of emissions and environmental effects.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 10, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

petrol blue posted:

I don't really see that there is any argument. Unless your arguing that people need meat, then surely it's just a matter of accepting that maybe there's too many people on the planet to keep up with us all having everything we want food-wise.

Meat is much less efficient to produce, and the planet's food production is at breaking-point, even with all the fancy tech we use. We either reduce the energy needed to feed one person (e: and space), reduce the number of people, or starve. Cutting down on or removing altogether meat is a simple way to do that. Sure, I'd love steak for every meal, but I'd like a collection of antique sports cars too.

And that's before touching the issue of emissions and environmental effects.

The emissions and environmental effects are the only relevant parts. What does it mean that food production is "at breaking-point" if it doesn't apply to environmental effects?

You seem to be of the notion that the loss of efficiency of the food itself is the main problematic factor when in reality you'd do a lot more to increase efficiency by simply not using gas to run your transport trucks, or a million other things not related to actually growing the food.

We have a food surplus right now, and we have a population which is not exponentially increasing, despite what you may think. Food production is not the pressing issue.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yiggy posted:

Yup, though I'll note the discussion is (usually) going to deteriorate markedly once we make this about veg vs non-veg identities.

It had already started before that with people trying to slip their opinions about healthy diets into a discussion about climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Torka posted:

It had already started before that with people trying to slip their opinions about healthy diets into a discussion about climate change.

Health is hardly the issue and I made a fairly lengthy, sourced post citing the emissions arguments. But if you want to prop up a lovely strawman and act like you've actually made some sort of effort in addressing peoples arguments, by all means.

• Locked thread