Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Goddamn, this is the song that made me replace the stereo in my car. I could handle "Dark Horse", "Say Something", and "Best Day of My Life" with "Timber" being played between all of them, but this was just offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Holy poo poo, the song he used at the end of the video. :roflolmao:
For those who don't get it, it's that song where a bunch of racist douchebags sing about how much they love Asian girls.
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KgnlTdmmkE:nws:

That Talk Dirty song sucks but at least JR Rotem had nothing to do with it. That guy embodied everything I hate about sampling.
Here are his worst offenders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-fuceJUmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIAtQ-NmUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYYikHCovA

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Between Bitches Love Me and this, I think I finally hate mainstream rap.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Jason DeRulo ain't a rapper though. I mean, he can't sing either, but you get what I mean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

Between Bitches Love Me and this, I think I finally hate mainstream rap.

Eh, there's some decent rappers out there too. MackleMore's a goofball but I haven't read anything about him that makes me think he's an rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jason Derulo is one of those odd cases where he's popular despite the presence of a bunch of artists who do the same thing as him, except much better.

It's kind of like enjoying Nickelback when the Foo Fighters - who do the same kind of meat and potatoes rock while being infinitely more talented, creative and interesting - are right there.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Eh, there's some decent rappers out there too. MackleMore's a goofball but I haven't read anything about him that makes me think he's an rear end in a top hat.

I dunno, instagramming his apology to Kendrick Lamar for winning Best Rap Album kinda soured my opinion of him.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Ugh, yeah, that song was pretty gross, but it was good to hear Todd be articulately pissed off about something. The man's good at that.
Jason Derulo's next song should be about the variety of exotic STDs he picked up because I bet a man as obnoxious as him wouldn't ever use a condom, since..if he gets a girl pregnant, who cares? She's just some brown person in some country he's never going to go to ever again.

Ghostpilot posted:

Yay, something to watch in this bout of insomnia. I swear, if Jason DeRulo opens yet another song by singing his name in horrible Autotune...:argh:

I guess he's basically a pokemon. Probably one of those ones like Whismur who uses Hyper Voice all the time.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Best of the Worst returns! With a twist. A super twist

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arbite posted:

Best of the Worst returns! With a twist. A super twist

:stare: Wow, I thought the never released Fantastic Four film was just a comic book nerd urban myth.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

BigRed0427 posted:

:stare: Wow, I thought the never released Fantastic Four film was just a comic book nerd urban myth.

I've seen it. It's all too real.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Between this and the Dark Horse review a few weeks ago, it looks like Todd's finally got his groove back. 2013 was hard on the guy.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of 2 chains, this Rap Critic video deserves mention:

:nws: http://blip.tv/rapcritic/rap-critic-reviews-birthday-song-by-2-chainz-featuring-kanye-west-6383884 :nws:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I like Rap Critic's stuff, but his release schedule is so inconsistent that he got lost in the shuffle of reviewers I follow.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
A few days ago I got NerdQuest in the mail, which was a pleasant surprise since I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it. The envelope was hand-addressed in sharpie and includes a little thank-you note. Quaint. :3: I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the movie, but I suspect the contents will be like the package.

The video quality isn't all that great and it's hard on the eyes because of that. But it's not like they had a budget. After all, I can't afford an iPhone and all my photos end up looking crap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 10, 2014

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Blockbuster Buster reviews Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Dear gawd why did this movie have a sequel?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Ema Nymton posted:

A few days ago I got NerdQuest in the mail, which was a pleasant surprise since I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it. The envelope was hand-addressed in sharpie and includes a little thank-you note. Quaint. :3: I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the movie, but I suspect the contents will be like the package.
I enjoyed the movie a lot, I've gotta give props to Mike and everyone involved for going out there and making a proper movie. The acting is really great too. I particularly enjoyed the guy who played the king, he has really good comedic timing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I tried watching Blockbuster Buster when he first joined the site and didn't like it much, to put it mildly. But, a lot of the guys on the site don't find their footing until they've been there a while; anyone want to watch it and tell me if he's gotten any better?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Popular young adult series (I have a soft spot for it and like it much better than Harry Potter because Greek Mythology in modern times > Wizards and witches in modern times :colbert:) And it got most of its money overseas. The movies are bad and not at all like the books, though this one was much more faithful to the spirit and story of the books.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBadIdea posted:

I tried watching Blockbuster Buster when he first joined the site and didn't like it much, to put it mildly. But, a lot of the guys on the site don't find their footing until they've been there a while; anyone want to watch it and tell me if he's gotten any better?

This review seemed better than the other one of his I saw, but that was a comic book movie which emphasized his schtick, which I find annoying. It's an ok review, nothing to go out of your way for.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Eh, a big issue I have with Rap Critic is his completely one-dimensional approach to reviewing things. It feels like all of his reviews involve him anally picking songs apart line by line, without taking anything else into account. I think his recent Top 10 of 2013 video really highlights my issue with his stuff: almost all of his choices were (IMO) mediocre to terrible, and the only criteria he had was "beep boop, the lyrics were perfectly adequate" without really discussing any of the production, flow, hooks, personality, or subject matter. It's a really annoyingly purist approach to hip-hop that I hate.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

The first movie was an awful mess that screwed with the story and characters and threw in way too many pop culture references. And terrible CGI. Chiron in particular looked so unbelievably fake every time he moved, it was obnoxious.

The second film stayed a lot closer to the book, in terms of not making crap up, the character motivations, and the general spirit of the thing. I don't mind that they plucked elements from later books and stuck them in this one, either. The whole prophecy scene done in that faux stained glass style was gorgeous. The fight against the half-revived Kronos was cool as hell and made for a WAY better climax than the book had, even if they did skip a good bit ahead.

Though if it gets a third film, some how, they need to recast Percy. On top of him getting way too damned old now, the guy just isn't a very good actor.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Happy Viking has another Frothy Pint of Metal review up. This guy is my favorite minor/non-TGWTG reviewer person. He's just so drat happy all the time. I wish he updated more.

HorseRenoir posted:

Eh, a big issue I have with Rap Critic is his completely one-dimensional approach to reviewing things. It feels like all of his reviews involve him anally picking songs apart line by line, without taking anything else into account. I think his recent Top 10 of 2013 video really highlights my issue with his stuff: almost all of his choices were (IMO) mediocre to terrible, and the only criteria he had was "beep boop, the lyrics were perfectly adequate" without really discussing any of the production, flow, hooks, personality, or subject matter. It's a really annoyingly purist approach to hip-hop that I hate.

That's kind of been his shtick from the beginning, though - that he discounts everything else to suss out how stupid (or not-stupid) the lyrics actually are. But yeah, it's a purist approach that's good for poking gentle fun at, say, Snoop Dogg, but it really doesn't work most of the time. I have no idea why he put Same Love at the top of his list. That song is trying very hard, and I appreciate that it exists, but it's not that great musically and the lyrics are so, so corny.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
The Nostalgia Critic tackles Tim Burton's take on Alice in Wonderland

Been a while since I've disagreed with him so much. He spent way too much time criticizing the film for not being Alice In Wonderland as *he* wants it to be, comparing it to the book and other film adaptations. Yet in the end he turns around and gives the OK for people to give adaptations and interpretations differently from the source material. No, Doug. You can't have it both ways. Either it's ok that Tim Burton gave an interpretation of the story vastly different from the kinds your used to, or it isn't.

Really, the only legitimate point he tackled as far as problems with the film went was Mia Wasikowska's rather emotionless acting in the titular role. The rest was just "Bawwww, this isn't the whimsical, silly adventure I've seen from the story dozens of times!". Which is too bad, since he went pretty all out in the production this week in terms of the costumes and so forth. The American MacGee's Alice costume was particularly good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Brad release a new snob today "Caddyshack 2" http://www.thecinemasnob.com/50/post/2014/03/caddyshack-ii.html

I never seen this movie, but I always heard it was a piece of crap and it looks like it is.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
Nostalgia Chick also released a video today, featuring Nella and Mara Wilson, where they discuss and devour (well, consume in small doses) nostalgic foods. http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/nostalgia-chick-nostalgic-foods-of-yore-feat-mara-wilson/

Watching an Italian person eat Chef Boyardee is hilarious. Nella looks so confused and betrayed.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Ronk a Donk posted:

Nostalgia Chick also released a video today, featuring Nella and Mara Wilson, where they discuss and devour (well, consume in small doses) nostalgic foods. http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/nostalgia-chick-nostalgic-foods-of-yore-feat-mara-wilson/

Watching an Italian person eat Chef Boyardee is hilarious. Nella looks so confused and betrayed.

I kind of wish Lindsay and Mara had actually tried the Chef Boyardee. Because I used to eat it as a kid too then didn't for a long while and thinking that it would be a good idea to stock up on some cans to take away to college was a horrible mistake.
God, those things taste so loving terrible how did I eat them as a kid. :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nella and Mara accidentally doing Lady & The Tramp with Fruit Roll-ups or whatever those were was legit amazing and hysterical.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dijon du jour posted:

I kind of wish Lindsay and Mara had actually tried the Chef Boyardee. Because I used to eat it as a kid too then didn't for a long while and thinking that it would be a good idea to stock up on some cans to take away to college was a horrible mistake.
God, those things taste so loving terrible how did I eat them as a kid. :negative:

No a horrible mistake is doing that, then when you are a grown man in your 20's being drunk at a store and seeing a can of Chef Boyardee and going "YEA I'LL BUY AND EAT THIS".

What I'm saying is Lindsay eat the Chef.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No a horrible mistake is doing that, then when you are a grown man in your 20's being drunk at a store and seeing a can of Chef Boyardee and going "YEA I'LL BUY AND EAT THIS".

What I'm saying is Lindsay eat the Chef.

Several times using my new adult powers and being able to choose what I want to eat I have gone and went "I used to love this as a kid, and now mom can't tell me I can't eat it/make "we can't afford this" as an excuse anymore!"

Then I eat it and go "Why the hell did I ever like this/Mom always did know best"

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Well it's pretty well-documented that kids have terrible senses of taste (in everything.) Basically, their taste is often sort of..simplistic, whether it's Pink Everything, or Sweet and Uncomplicated Flavours in Everything.
I didn't eat all that much processed food as a kid, no weird little plastic packets in my lunchbox, but there's certainly brands of lollies that I ate again as an adult, and I was like "jesus christ, this is so hideously sweet, it's just like a block of sugar." I think the average person's sweet tooth fades a bit, and they prefer slightly more...refined sweet foods, like, say, a nice dessert, or some expensive chocolate, rather than a bag of corn syrup pellets.

Chef Boyardee does look extremely evil, I'd have to agree. I do not know *anyone* in Australia who has ever professed to eating/cooking canned ravioli, since ravioli is usually something you get from the refrigerated section, near the dips, and cook yourself at home. I had no idea that canned ravioli even existed until I read some random American kids' book, and my reaction was something similar to WHY.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Home cooking is loving awesome and possibly the best thing I have ever done in my life is learn how to cook my own meals with basic ingredients.

I'm just too lazy to actually bother. :(

Anyway, Kimble Justice released a video a couple of days ago (that I just watched tonight) talking about transgender characters representation in video games, which is honestly not a topic I've ever really given any thought before so it made for an interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrvhHc8TFRw

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Chef Boyardee does look extremely evil, I'd have to agree. I do not know *anyone* in Australia who has ever professed to eating/cooking canned ravioli, since ravioli is usually something you get from the refrigerated section, near the dips, and cook yourself at home. I had no idea that canned ravioli even existed until I read some random American kids' book, and my reaction was something similar to WHY.

:australia::hf::australia:

I have refridgerated tortellini and creamy bacon/mushroom sauce in my fridge as we type. Chef Boyardee... just looking at it, I'm convinced it hates everyone on a very personal level.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

:australia::hf::australia:

I have refridgerated tortellini and creamy bacon/mushroom sauce in my fridge as we type. Chef Boyardee... just looking at it, I'm convinced it hates everyone on a very personal level.

Haha, I heard that the reason it's spelled like that is because they didn't trust the American public to be able to pronounce "Boiardi" correctly, so they had to write it phonetically. Really shows a certain level of contempt for the general public (then again, it was the 50s, where being Italian was considered weird and scary.)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha, I heard that the reason it's spelled like that is because they didn't trust the American public to be able to pronounce "Boiardi" correctly, so they had to write it phonetically. Really shows a certain level of contempt for the general public (then again, it was the 50s, where being Italian was considered weird and scary.)

And they were completely and totally correct. All the commercials I saw and grew up with pronounced it "Boyardee", placing the emphasis on the "dee".
Imagine my surprise when they started showing classic (like, from the 50's) Chef Boyardee commercials on TV a little while ago that pronounced it "Boyardee" with the emphasis on the "ar", which is probably much closer to the actual Italian pronunciation. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ronk a Donk posted:

I will say that Mac and Cheese is much better when you stir fry it, I mean that was the only way I ate it as a kid.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It's amazing how much better those 'we ate some foods' vlogs are when there's actual editing involved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Slate Action posted:

It's amazing how much better those 'we ate some foods' vlogs are when there's actual editing involved.

Also when there's a group dynamic that lets them bounce off one another. This one really just has the feel of 3 chicks getting together to make fun of each other for their crappy taste in junk food, and the viewer's in on the joke.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I think that's true of pretty much EVERY video/audio recording - so much better when there's some editing, because when people are unscripted, there's a lot of dead air and awkward pauses and stuff that really holds up the pace.
Also, the group dynamic is great, agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

IIRC, it wasn't some "they" who decided that, it was Chef Boiardi himself. He was a real dude.

Wikipedia posted:

Proud of his Italian heritage, Boiardi sold his products under the brand name "Chef Boy-Ar-Dee" so that his American customers could pronounce his name properly.[1]

For producing rations supplying Allied troops during World War II, he was awarded a Gold Star order of excellence from the United States War Department.[5] He also made particular cuisine for the Russian Army and was awarded the Order of Lenin for outstanding service to Russia from a civilian during war time[citation needed]. However, with the advent of the Cold War, he was unable to acknowledge the award.

• Locked thread