Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Burger Trench posted:

Anecdotally, 2012 was obviously Luck/RG3, 2011 was Newton and maybe Clausen (possibly Dareus?), 2010 was Bradford, 2009 Stafford 2008 Long/Ryan. I might be moving the goalposts in my statement a bit, but it seemed to me around this time in previous draft seasons there weren't more than two players it could be. Could be wrong.

Here let's look at this.

2012 - Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, Claiborne, Dontari Poe
2010 - Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Berry, Spiller, Trent Williams, Okung
2009 - Stafford, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Crabtree
2008 - Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan, Dorsey, Harvey, McFadden

These were all guys that at any given time were being talked up as the sure fire #1 selection, or the surprise #1, or the BPA of the draft. It's almost never a 1 person game. The times where that has happened has been incredibly rare, like Bo Jackson/John Elway type of rare where teams will intentionally gently caress themselves over because they want that guy so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Here let's look at this.

2012 - Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, Claiborne, Dontari Poe
2010 - Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Berry, Spiller, Trent Williams, Okung
2009 - Stafford, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Crabtree
2008 - Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan, Dorsey, Harvey, McFadden

These were all guys that at any given time were being talked up as the sure fire #1 selection, or the surprise #1, or the BPA of the draft. It's almost never a 1 person game. The times where that has happened has been incredibly rare, like Bo Jackson/John Elway type of rare where teams will intentionally gently caress themselves over because they want that guy so much.

No one in their right mind thought that Luck wasn't going first in that draft. From the moment the season ended it was pretty obvious that the Colts were taking Luck.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Call me crazy but I don't think Poe was ever in the conversation to be a top 5 pick much less #1

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"Surprise number 1" is stupid, because it's just people trying to get page views by posting something shocking. Luck was going 1st overall in 2012 all along.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No, the surprise #1 is the guy that the media outlet didn't spoon feed to us during the process. Poe was absolutely in consideration because a man his size who moves that well was an anomaly. He was also getting mocked up there for a bit because people were considering scenarios where the Colts didn't go QB.

There's nothing that guarantees any prospect of a #1 selection. The process exists for that reason. What you're seeing is the after effect of all those people saying Luck was the best QB since 2004. He had that rumor mill around him and came out and performed all season and throughout the draft process. That, combined with the glaring hole at QB for the Colts, why he was #1, not because of some manufactured storyline by draft pundits.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

No, the surprise #1 is the guy that the media outlet didn't spoon feed to us during the process. Poe was absolutely in consideration because a man his size who moves that well was an anomaly. He was also getting mocked up there for a bit because people were considering scenarios where the Colts didn't go QB.

There's nothing that guarantees any prospect of a #1 selection. The process exists for that reason. What you're seeing is the after effect of all those people saying Luck was the best QB since 2004. He had that rumor mill around him and came out and performed all season and throughout the draft process. That, combined with the glaring hole at QB for the Colts, why he was #1, not because of some manufactured storyline by draft pundits.

Yes, but that process was all but finished for him by the time his pro day rolled around. Everything after that was just a formality.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Doltos posted:

Can you provide a mock where Poe was #1? Bc I know he was a fast riser after the combine but people were still surprised when KC picked him. And all post-combine mocks had to reflect Luck's results too.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Sammy Watkins really wants to play for the Lions. Make it happen.

I think they would have to trade up to the second position for this to happen. And I don't want them to have to give up what would be needed to do it. If watkins is there at five though, I think they move the right picks along.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Disillusionist posted:

Can you provide a mock where Poe was #1? Bc I know he was a fast riser after the combine but people were still surprised when KC picked him. And all post-combine mocks had to reflect Luck's results too.

Nope, don't care to find one either since it'll probably be some fan site mock, which are about as valid as anything you'll see from ESPN or NFL Network.

Volkerball posted:

Yes, but that process was all but finished for him by the time his pro day rolled around. Everything after that was just a formality.

I agree, but the point is that these teams look at EVERYONE. They have the first pick in the draft, what are they gonna do? See a great player and close their eyes to everyone else?

What we know as fans and what teams know as the people making the decision are two completely different monsters. The original question was there ever a time where there was a for sure #1 selection the entire time? The answer is no except for maybe Bo Jackson/John Elway/Earlier years where teams didn't have access to game tape for every prospect.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I agree, but the point is that these teams look at EVERYONE. They have the first pick in the draft, what are they gonna do? See a great player and close their eyes to everyone else?

What we know as fans and what teams know as the people making the decision are two completely different monsters. The original question was there ever a time where there was a for sure #1 selection the entire time? The answer is no except for maybe Bo Jackson/John Elway/Earlier years where teams didn't have access to game tape for every prospect.

Luck is kind of an outlier in that regard, imo. I'm sure the Colts did their due diligence, but come on. His pro day and his college career were something else. He was the for sure #1 selection for longer than anyone I can remember recently. Colts even said they were picking him well before the draft, so they were obviously sold early.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The only time you know a pick will for sure be #1 is if the team agrees to a contract beforehand.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
There were some last minute click-bait "COULD IT BE RG3" articles but everyone knew it was Luck

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

Luck is kind of an outlier in that regard, imo. I'm sure the Colts did their due diligence, but come on. His pro day and his college career were something else. He was the for sure #1 selection for longer than anyone I can remember recently. Colts even said they were picking him well before the draft, so they were obviously sold early.

Eh, doubt it. RG3 had a phenomenal college season and tested out amazingly in the draft process. It was a really big debate with Luck v RG3. There was also the debate that Luck or RG3 would be landing in a hell hole of a situation and that Kalil would be a good stepping stone to the 2013 draft.

I agree that Luck was the best prospect, I've been saying that since 2011 and since the 2012 draft, I just think that to say there was a chance that he wouldn't be #1 is a valid opinion.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
A team in Indiana was never going to take RG3 over a guy who looks like he works on a dairy farm.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think RG3's ancestors worked on far more farms than Andrew Luck's

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

I think RG3's ancestors worked on far more farms than Andrew Luck's

Eh probably not. RG3's family were probably based more inside the house.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Jesus, that's pretty harsh...you'd fit right in on the ESPN roster.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Sammy Watkins really wants to play for the Lions. Make it happen.

Does he:

A) Love Marijuana?
B) Have Psychological issues?
C) Have multiple head traumas in college?
D) Have unnecessary bouts of anger?
E) Line up in the wrong position on purpose? (Really a sub clause of B)
F) REALLY Love Marijuana?
G) Have a history of problems with authority?

If not, let's do this!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If Sammy Watkins makes it to the Lions then so many teams have hosed up, that they should probably just redo the draft.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Everyone in the NFL really loves marijuana, probably a lot of higher ups corporate types too

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I used to blaze with Roger and Gene on the regular.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Comfortador posted:

Does he:

A) Love Marijuana?
B) Have Psychological issues?
C) Have multiple head traumas in college?
D) Have unnecessary bouts of anger?
E) Line up in the wrong position on purpose? (Really a sub clause of B)
F) REALLY Love Marijuana?
G) Have a history of problems with authority?

If not, let's do this!

You forgot H) Realize that picking up spilled pizza while driving is not the best idea

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Eh, doubt it. RG3 had a phenomenal college season and tested out amazingly in the draft process. It was a really big debate with Luck v RG3. There was also the debate that Luck or RG3 would be landing in a hell hole of a situation and that Kalil would be a good stepping stone to the 2013 draft.

I agree that Luck was the best prospect, I've been saying that since 2011 and since the 2012 draft, I just think that to say there was a chance that he wouldn't be #1 is a valid opinion.

It was a really big debate between Luck and RG3 amongst whom exactly? Because Indy was taking Luck from the moment the season ended.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Dexo posted:

If Sammy Watkins makes it to the Lions then so many teams have hosed up, that they should probably just redo the draft.

They're picking 10th, it's not that unfathomable given the needs of the rest of the top 10.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

DangerKat posted:

They're picking 10th, it's not that unfathomable given the needs of the rest of the top 10.

He drops to 5 max.

It would probably take the lions first and second to trade up to five. It is probably worth it but I would rather they take Evans at ten than give up their second.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Given the depth of the WR class, trading up to grab one specific one seems really dumb.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Sammy Watkins is on a whole different level than Evans in my opinion.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
The homer in me wants Allen Robinson on the Steelers so loving bad. I kind of hope they draft two wide receivers because I like this class so much, that would require them to trade back at some point to get some extra picks though which probably won't happen

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Sammy Watkins is on a whole different level than Evans in my opinion.

Agreed, but I think Megatron with Marquise Lee would be a nice pairing. Not quite as ridiculous as Watkins and Megatron but not terribly far off.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Calvin/Watkins would be so unfair that Matthew Stafford would spontaneously combust on the first play of the season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Calvin/Watkins would be so unfair that Matthew Stafford would spontaneously combust on the first play of the season.

And his backup would still throw for 4500 yards

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I doubt Watkins falls to ten which would leave Detroit with Evans, Lee, or OBJ to choose from in my eyes. That choice I'd go with Lee, he would just compliment Johnson so ridiculously well. Hope that doesn't happen as Lee would be great for Baltimore at 17.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I expect the Lions to take a WR in the first but instead they will finally pick the CB everyone had expected in years previous.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Stop getting my hopes up, you bastard. First that Instagram picture and now this and I'm gonna spend the next two months hoping Mayhew trades up to get him but instead we're just gonna draft Dennard or some poo poo. :smith:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Dennard is really good and I'd be happy with that as well.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mayhew's second players and second rounders picked in each draft he's been in charge of are:

Brandon Pettigrew - Disappointment
Louis Delmas - Dolphin
Jahvid Best - :smith:
Titus Young - :(
Mikel Leshoure - Benched
Ryan Broyles - :(
Darius Slay - Jury's out

So they might be better off giving up the second round pick and getting Watkins.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Jahvid :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You were the Best, Jahvid. :smith:

Pettigrew looked pretty good at points this year, once he stopped the stone hands crap.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I doubt Watkins falls to ten which would leave Detroit with Evans, Lee, or OBJ to choose from in my eyes. That choice I'd go with Lee, he would just compliment Johnson so ridiculously well. Hope that doesn't happen as Lee would be great for Baltimore at 17.

6'0"
31 3/4" ARM LENGTH
192LBS. WEIGHT
9 1/2" HANDS

4.52 sec 40
38" vert
127" broad
4.01 sec shuttle

5'10" HEIGHT
30 1/4" ARM LENGTH
192LBS. WEIGHT
9" HANDS

4.57 secs
32.5" vert

Can you guess which one is ryan broyles and which one is marqise lee? Lemme give you a hint, they both have knee problems.
Lee is first
I am not high on lee at all. Evans is a better player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Evans is raw but is definitely the superior physical specimen. Lee was never going to test well at the combine, everyone knew that. He wasn't going to measure well, either. Lee's game comes from his actual ingame prowess in which he's just fantastic. He reminds me of a quicker Brian Robiskie, who was also a force in college but flatlined in the NFL.

That's the problem with these low ceiling high floor type of guys. Sometimes you luck out and land a career route runner, like Reggie Wayne. Other times they just peter out and do nothing because we saw the best of them in college. I do think Evans is a much better fit for the Lions than Lee, though.

• Locked thread