Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's a modern Master Grade. You can always "get away" with out of the box. Don't worry, the gunpla grading ninja aren't going to kidnap you and force you to learn how to use an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
with every stroke of my sanding implement, i am gaining rl experience points. soon i will level up and unlock the gunpla suplex techniquw

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Apparently the Barnes & Noble gunpla experiment was a success. Starting in April, they're expanding the selection and making them available at over 400 stores.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpikeMcclane posted:

Apparently the Barnes & Noble gunpla experiment was a success. Starting in April, they're expanding the selection and making them available at over 400 stores.

great news! how is the pricing?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The comic shop chain in Houston just massively expanded the Gunpla section in every store. Going from a couple MGs and RGs to like, 50 kits.

This is it, Gundam is coming back in America!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Luminaflare posted:

You could probably scratch build a chopper from the meteor hopper as well.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but many die-cast model motorcycles are roughly the right size for a 1/144 scale gundam. After I finished putting up some shelves in my wife's office I dug out the real-grade she had been storing at the bottom of a crate as punishment for being so fiddly and did this:

She was less than pleased, but still hasn't taken it down.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

The comic shop chain in Houston just massively expanded the Gunpla section in every store. Going from a couple MGs and RGs to like, 50 kits.

This is it, Gundam is coming back in America!

What chain is it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but many die-cast model motorcycles are roughly the right size for a 1/144 scale gundam. After I finished putting up some shelves in my wife's office I dug out the real-grade she had been storing at the bottom of a crate as punishment for being so fiddly and did this:

She was less than pleased, but still hasn't taken it down.

Duker Iq approves.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

centaurette hentai posted:

What chain is it?

Bedrock City Comics

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Fauxtool posted:

great news! how is the pricing?

You can check out bn.com to see the pricing of the few they tried it out with. It varies because bandai sets the prices months in advance and they don't adjust when the exchange rate is more in our favor. Newer things have more favorable prices, but you can generally get them cheaper if you buy several kits at once from japan, still.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GK Parts is back up too, so if you want to parts order again now is your chance. Tatsu Hobby is another option for people in the US who don't want to pay overseas shipping.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So something turned up in the post today.

Who needs accuracy when you have chainguns and missiles!:orks101:

The Kampfer's a pretty stable kit, despite the cannons on the back, thanks to the broad feet.

THRUSTERS!

I was going to stick the shields that came with the chainguns on its arm, but the drat holes on the wrists and thighs are just a shade too wide for the peg size used on the rocket pods from the Amazing Booster and shields :argh:. The Amazing Booster rockets are basically sitting in there with prayer and a lot of care to not bump them. As for the chainguns, they actually hang a little loose in the hands so I left the stocks attached just so I can brace them against the body. The long barrels are just because if it's going to be posed bracing the guns anyway, may as well make it worthwhile.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually really like that on these boards nobody is mocking modellers that are more or less advanced in what they do with their hobby. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I actually really like that on these boards nobody is mocking modellers that are more or less advanced in what they do with their hobby. :3:

Build Fighters is a hell of a drug :feelsgood:.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It really does seem that Gunpla and other similar plamo is a lot more gently caress YEAH (tiny) GIANT ROBOTS than Tabletop figures/Vehicles are all about building and painting it just right or you suck.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Doesn't stop me from feeling like a scrub with some of the awesome poo poo I see. :v:

That Kampfer owns by the way, more guns more guns MORE GUNS

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I think its because when the paint fumes clear, we have a nice shelf piece. A work of art that can be put on display in our homes.

When the warhams get done they have a foam box full of spacemans that need justification, and they don't always get it. Butthurt ensues.

TBH though, my old roomate used to play 40k, and loved painting his marines. I tried to talk him into using SD kits for replacements for the larger space marine robots. He didn't bite unfortunately.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

slightpirate posted:

I think its because when the paint fumes clear, we have a nice shelf piece. A work of art that can be put on display in our homes.

When the warhams get done they have a foam box full of spacemans that need justification, and they don't always get it. Butthurt ensues.

TBH though, my old roomate used to play 40k, and loved painting his marines. I tried to talk him into using SD kits for replacements for the larger space marine robots. He didn't bite unfortunately.

His reluctance about using substitutes probably had to do with GW stores being huge jackwagons about using non-GW stuff in their games.

I'm actually a little surprised nobody's tried to pitch a gunpla tabletop to bandai, they would be able to utterly wreck any of the other games on cost alone.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

mr. stefan posted:

His reluctance about using substitutes probably had to do with GW stores being huge jackwagons about using non-GW stuff in their games.

I'm actually a little surprised nobody's tried to pitch a gunpla tabletop to bandai, they would be able to utterly wreck any of the other games on cost alone.

"I attack with Beam Rifle." "Roll to hit vs Agility."

miss miss miss miss miss miss SABRE CLASH.

Every time.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

My desk at work needed some Gunpla love. Pow! Right in the kisser!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Big ups to whoever suggested running a marker over those filed-down flash marks. I was able to go to Michael's and get a generic brand paint-pen of almost exactly the shade of the Gouf's lighter blue, and just a dab of it does wonders to blend the flash marks in.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Big ups to whoever suggested running a marker over those filed-down flash marks. I was able to go to Michael's and get a generic brand paint-pen of almost exactly the shade of the Gouf's lighter blue, and just a dab of it does wonders to blend the flash marks in.

I've read that tip before and additionally that if you use a flat top coat it will conceal it. I haven't seen anyone um... 'non-pro' do it so if this is the route you go down will you share pics? I just wanted to see what an average joe like myself would get without knowing a ton about paint and all tips and tricks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I've read that tip before and additionally that if you use a flat top coat it will conceal it. I haven't seen anyone um... 'non-pro' do it so if this is the route you go down will you share pics? I just wanted to see what an average joe like myself would get without knowing a ton about paint and all tips and tricks.

Honestly, I don't think anything more is necessary- I actually have to look for the flash marks now, and sometimes it takes me a while to locate them even. All I did was cut the flash off with pliers, then file it down as close as possible with a hobby knife. This left behind a little rough patch with some white coloration from plastic stress, so I went to a craft store today and bought a "craftsmart" brand paint-pen of a matching shade. It was less than two bucks. I tested it on an extra piece I had laying around to make sure it wouldn't do anything weird and it checked out, so I went over all the light blue plastic today just dabbing the paint pen on the rough spots, and now they're basically gone.

Edit: I tried to get a picture but my cellphone camera isn't a high enough resolution to really grab it. The area around the knees had big, white flash marks before I went over them.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 12, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

It exists. It's called Gundam Collection Tactical Combat and came out in 2005. The Gundam Collection 1/400 figures you see in stores and on eBay are used to play it. I don't believe an English translation exists though a Chinese translation does.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25449/gundam-collection-tactical-combat

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Midjack posted:

It exists. It's called Gundam Collection Tactical Combat and came out in 2005. The Gundam Collection 1/400 figures you see in stores and on eBay are used to play it. I don't believe an English translation exists though a Chinese translation does.
1/400? Jesus. At that point, wouldn't you be better off just grabbing a bunch of SD-scale models and playing with those? (Maybe using slightly-modified Mobile Frame Zero rules.)

Edit Goddammit, now I really want to do that. Stop making me want to buy tiny plastic war machines, I haven't even been employed a week! :argh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 12, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't know how anybody gets the flash off those Zeon hose pieces, though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hobby knife, patience, maybe some files or sandpaper

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just a nice thin, flat, file will do wonders.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

Always happy to help. :)

In other news, i'll finally be heading home soon from working cross-country, so Proto Zero and Tallgeese III will soon be mine to build.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Flex-i-file makes flexible sandpaper ribbons that are designed for sanding round objects.

they have other specialized tools and they are all really good at what they do

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've never done it, but I'd probably use a wad of putty to hold it to sand or file.

Edit: hey are we getting an MG star build or do I have to make one out of the build strike and the universe booster?

The Missing Link fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 12, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

1/400? Jesus. At that point, wouldn't you be better off just grabbing a bunch of SD-scale models and playing with those? (Maybe using slightly-modified Mobile Frame Zero rules.)

Edit Goddammit, now I really want to do that. Stop making me want to buy tiny plastic war machines, I haven't even been employed a week! :argh:

I think the 1/400 figures fit into capsule machines, which was probably the main driver for that particular scale - though they have made a lot of the giant mobile armors available in 1/400 too. It's also small enough you could carry a lot of playing pieces in a shoebox.

You could change the scale pretty easily, though! Tabletop wargames are really flexible about scale; you might have to multiply all the distances by some factor (2 for SDs, 3 for HGs, 4 for MGs, 6 for PGs, etc.) so you don't have everything touching while you play, but no mechanical change to the game would be needed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Missing Link posted:

Edit: hey are we getting an MG star build or do I have to make one out of the build strike and the universe booster?

You're gonna have to get MG Full Package and the Universe Booster. I can't see Bandai bothering to make a standalone MG Star Build now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They made MG V-Dash, of course they'll make MG Star Build. Throw in a Build Knuckle effect part or something and it'll be easy money.

Also:

loving

finally.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've put together some pretty serviceable 1/48 & 1/35 plastic model airplanes and tanks in the past. I still have my airbrush lying around somewhere and a poo poo ton of sandpaper and model glue. I stumbled across this thread and remember buying one of these robot men when I lived in Japan ten years ago or so. I don't know the first thing about Gundam but robots are cool as gently caress and I want to build some to put on my desk.

Any suggestions for robot looking robots? It's not so much that I don't like the samurai look but more that I really enjoy the blocky classic battletech look.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

VOTOMS is a pretty good place for that kind of thing. http://www.hlj.com/product/ban949841/Sci

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

VOTOMS is a pretty good place for that kind of thing. http://www.hlj.com/product/ban949841/Sci
Seconding this. VOTOMS is great, the mecha look great, and, perhaps more importantly, like actual war machines.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Doesn't help that Scopedogs make the best noises ever when they move.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

They made MG V-Dash, of course they'll make MG Star Build. Throw in a Build Knuckle effect part or something and it'll be easy money.

I hope they make one with a clear blue glitter frame to simulate pg mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Missing Link posted:

I hope they make one with a clear blue glitter frame to simulate pg mode.

RG mode. And I'm way ahead of them on my model.

• Locked thread