Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

De Nomolos posted:

So, did anyone ever finish one of the Donruss puzzles? I came close with Willie Stargell in just one box.

I actually finished a Hank Aaron one from '86 I believe it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

My favorite set design is '87, but I'm biased, that was the first set I ever put together.

I disliked that set a lot when it came out, but the design has grown on me and enjoy it now.

I love the 1979 set for the same reason you like 1987, it was the first set I ever put together:

Other favorite sets of mine from the 80's are 1984 Donruss for the simplicity of the design:

and 1984 Topps for including both an action photo and a portrait on the card:

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I got a couple of those "team sets" of '87-'90 Topps at the grocery store for the Yankees. They were some of my first cards I bought new with allowance.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Anton Chigurh posted:

Other favorite sets of mine from the 80's are 1984 Donruss for the simplicity of the design:

84 Donruss had an issue with the same groups of cards being in packs together a lot. And you could often make out the name on the back of the last card in the pack through the wax paper. 84 Donruss Mattingly was more or less *the* card for a year or two if memory serves. Along with the 86 Canseco I suppose. Have some packs of 84 Donruss handy? Check the backs and look for Oil Can Boyd. There's a Mattingly in that pack.

Anton Chigurh posted:

Haha, that is good to know. I wish I did have some 1984 Donruss unopened wax. Places like Steel City Collectibles are offering $200/box for that stuff, and they go for even more on eBay.

The more I think about it - it may have been the Strawberry rookie that was in the Oil Can Boyd packs.

Did well with 1984 Donruss when I was a kid. Randomly found a small convenience store that had 4 and a half wax boxes in late 1985 or so. Bought them all on the spot with the store just thrilled to be rid of them. Sat on them for a year or two. Sold one at a shop for $100, which gave 15 year old me ample funds to have fun at the 1987 national convention in San Francisco. Unloaded the others by the pack at various shows in 1988-89 prior to not collecting anymore.

Edit 2 - Whoa. Would not have guessed it possible, but the store I sold the box to appears to still be open. Stagg's in Kent, WA.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 9, 2014

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

84 Donruss had an issue with the same groups of cards being in packs together a lot. And you could often make out the name on the back of the last card in the pack through the wax paper. 84 Donruss Mattingly was more or less *the* card for a year or two if memory serves. Along with the 86 Canseco I suppose. Have some packs of 84 Donruss handy? Check the backs and look for Oil Can Boyd. There's a Mattingly in that pack.

Haha, that is good to know. I wish I did have some 1984 Donruss unopened wax. Places like Steel City Collectibles are offering $200/box for that stuff, and they go for even more on eBay.

The only unopened stuff I have of any value is one box of 1989 Upper Deck low number foil. They sell for $85+ each. I seem to recall every box of it that I ever opened had exactly one Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie inside.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I collected in the mid 80's to early 90's and recently came across all my old baseball(and other sports) cards. There's all the usual rookie cards, a few traded/rookie sets, and random special cards that I'd hung on to.

If my timeline is long enough, is there any point to trying to sell each individual card on ebay? It looks like even complete sets aren't worth the space to keep them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

delpheye posted:

I collected in the mid 80's to early 90's and recently came across all my old baseball(and other sports) cards. There's all the usual rookie cards, a few traded/rookie sets, and random special cards that I'd hung on to.

If my timeline is long enough, is there any point to trying to sell each individual card on ebay? It looks like even complete sets aren't worth the space to keep them.
The only things really worthwhile in that period are RCs and error cards, mostly. Or if you have something like Topps Tiffany cards, which are rarer.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only things really worthwhile in that period are RCs and error cards, mostly. Or if you have something like Topps Tiffany cards, which are rarer.

That's what a few googles had pretty much revealed. I can't bring myself to trash them all, so I'm putting commons in boxes of 100-200 for 5usd shipped on ebay and amazon. We'll see how that goes. I feel like a kid again, sitting around with a copy of Beckett going through cardboard boxes full of more cardboard.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

delpheye posted:

That's what a few googles had pretty much revealed. I can't bring myself to trash them all, so I'm putting commons in boxes of 100-200 for 5usd shipped on ebay and amazon. We'll see how that goes. I feel like a kid again, sitting around with a copy of Beckett going through cardboard boxes full of more cardboard.

Like some others in the hockey card thread I've been donating my base cards/duplicates to children's hospital in Boston. Call it card karma. Just a thought if those boxes don't sell. Some sick kid might enjoy them :)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

anotherblownsave posted:

Like some others in the hockey card thread I've been donating my base cards/duplicates to children's hospital in Boston. Call it card karma. Just a thought if those boxes don't sell. Some sick kid might enjoy them :)

Maybe if you're donating newer base, say mid-2000s on. A lot of these types of charities won't take anything older than a certain age. Kid in the hospital is not going to be amuse by a Jeff Blauser Rated Rookie that smells like mildew from sitting boxed up in the basement.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Maybe if you're donating newer base, say mid-2000s on. A lot of these types of charities won't take anything older than a certain age. Kid in the hospital is not going to be amuse by a Jeff Blauser Rated Rookie that smells like mildew from sitting boxed up in the basement.

This is true. My advice is purely subjective.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got my first TTM autograph from Red's spring training today:

Sent out 12 total so I'm hoping to see more come in soon!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boinks posted:

I got my first TTM autograph from Red's spring training today:

Sent out 12 total so I'm hoping to see more come in soon!
I got Carlos Rodon earlier in the year before he stopped answering his mail for now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That's a really neat signature. Not everyone needs to be Michael Cuddyer but when I see dudes across all sports sign stuff with less care than I use at the supermarket it drives me nuts. Especially when they are being paid, either by a card company or show promoter.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's a really neat signature. Not everyone needs to be Michael Cuddyer but when I see dudes across all sports sign stuff with less care than I use at the supermarket it drives me nuts. Especially when they are being paid, either by a card company or show promoter.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've been trying to get him to sign for years and no luck. I'd love owning that lovely signature haha.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I got him years back through the mail in the minors. That facsimile sig on the card is how he signed his Bowman contract originally. What I got back was an actual signature.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I got him years back through the mail in the minors. That facsimile sig on the card is how he signed his Bowman contract originally. What I got back was an actual signature.

Yes. This is what his actual auto looks like now:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Looking through my collection, Jake Westbrook has an old-timer's signature.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Boinks posted:

Looking through my collection, Jake Westbrook has an old-timer's signature.

Bowman Heritage were some beautiful sets. I don't really like the modern throwback sets, the old Topps designs were usually pretty cheesy. But the old Bowman designs were nice and elegant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love getting the 2001 Bowman Heritages signed since they are in black and white and the signature really pops off the card

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah Bowman Heritage is great for signing. I have two more:

Upper Deck Masterpieces are also great for signing:

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Has anyone seen 2014 Topps Heritage at their local Target or Walmart yet? Normally my local Target puts out cards a day or two before the official release date, which is tomorrow for Heritage, but I went today and… nothing.

I know Heritage was pushed back a week by Topps, but I still expected Target to have it out early.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Anton Chigurh posted:

Has anyone seen 2014 Topps Heritage at their local Target or Walmart yet? Normally my local Target puts out cards a day or two before the official release date, which is tomorrow for Heritage, but I went today and… nothing.

I know Heritage was pushed back a week by Topps, but I still expected Target to have it out early.

Heritage was at my local Wal-Mart tonight.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
It seems like the release delays last year also affected retail, so they didn't come out the normal couple days before hobby. May be the case again this year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
According to some, the problem might have been that the embossed insert cards didn't come out as expected, so they became a super shortprint and delayed everything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Got this at Astros camp yesterday. It was worth the extra time.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I got one of these signed and I am very very very happy with it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

HulkaMatt posted:

I got one of these signed and I am very very very happy with it.

That is very cool. Mariano is the nicest guy, I chatted with him when he came to Detroit last year. Great guy.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Hey guys, it's been too long since I checked this thread. Many of you know I work for COMC, and we're really looking for help right now migrating to our new catalog. Everything has to be switched over on April 1.

I'm cross-posting this from the Coupon/Deals thread.

A little backstory - I work for an online trading card consignment service called COMC. We have over 8 million cards in our warehouse listed on our site, 2.5+ million of which are unique. Each of the cards have front and back scans. Recently, we found out the company we licensed data from for the past 6 years is not interested in renewing the agreement, so we need to create a catalog of our own. To do this, we created the COMC Challenge, a crowdsourcing tool that asks the community simple questions about a series of cards while we're busy researching more difficult info like sets. We have a hard-and-fast deadline of April 1 to switch the data over.

Through the rest of this month
Receive $1 store credit for each 1,000 points earned
Each 5,000 points enters you into a drawing to win up to 1,000
The top 10 contributors with the most points this week receive $100 each (this one's probably out of reach if you're just starting now)

It takes about 15-30 minutes to earn 1,000 points playing Challenges, depending on how quick you are.

All you need to do is sign up for a free account and play. Store credit will be awarded at the beginning of next month. You can use store credit to buy trading cards, gaming cards, and comics on the site, pay for processing (if you have items to sell), or cash it out. There is a 20% cash out fee if you just want PayPal or a check ($10 minimum).

We really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Start Here

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got a nice TTM return today. I sent it to spring training back in Feb. Guess he has had time to go through his mail while recovering.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boinks posted:

Got a nice TTM return today. I sent it to spring training back in Feb. Guess he has had time to go through his mail while recovering.

Wow that's surprising. I'm on a couple of TTM sites and nobody has gotten him in a long, long time.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Welp, nevermind.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 16, 2014

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Jim Caple is another guy that misses him some bubble gum.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I have a complete set of 1996 Bazooka, gum included. Sometimes I'm tempted to try it, but I have enough dental problems as it is.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

While you guys are talking about players with lovely signatures... Somebody apparently talked to Manny Ramirez in 2007. First card is his flagship that March, second is the Update set that November.

The latter signature appears on his 2008 flagship card.

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

The Machinima Man posted:

While you guys are talking about players with lovely signatures... Somebody apparently talked to Manny Ramirez in 2007. First card is his flagship that March, second is the Update set that November.

The latter signature appears on his 2008 flagship card.

I honestly think that half of these signature cards aren't really done by the athlete. I have a bunch of Upper Deck MVP hockey that did similar inserts and saw signatures that looked nothing like the player has ever written, whether it be in-person or for a company.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I demand more "have players draw stuff" cards, and none of that 1/1 bullshit. I want to collect them as a subset, not see examples that will sell for hundreds if not thousands.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Some people assume that players don't always sign all their own autos. For instance, one of these may have been signed by Larry Greene, while the other appears to have been signed by Larry Greene('s cousin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There was a hockey player who got in trouble for signing his insert cards with a rubber stamp

• Locked thread