Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Asnorban posted:

There better be some big drat moves in the making for WRs. The hell panthers.

Yeah. I've tried setting my emotions aside about Smitty, but even if you look at it from a cold, logical perspective, the team is utterly hosed at WR. Letting your best one walk doesn't seem like the most intelligent idea, even if he's getting older and not as productive. You can 100% blame Gettleman for his clumsy handling of this situation, but ultimately he just continued the trend of ignoring WR needs that this organization has been on for the past four or five years. Gettleman better have an absolutely amazing Plan B and we better have the sexiest draft for this to pay off. No more bullshit like reaching for DII linemen who don't even play; it's time for us to finally cash in on what fortunately happens to be a great WR class.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I recall reading somewhere that Lovie really wasn't high on Glennon at all, so I'd guess this is pointing towards a real QB competition rather than any sort of mentoring/backup role. Also, he doesn't have a good track record correcting shaky O-lines so there is that.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Dexo posted:

Oh god. A One year deal with a low dollar amount deal is truly the end of the world.

It is truly the end times. Jettison everyone into the sun.

Why don't you take your positive attitude somewhere else buddy, I demand some god drat standards here!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rooster Brooster posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Lovie really wasn't high on Glennon at all, so I'd guess this is pointing towards a real QB competition rather than any sort of mentoring/backup role. Also, he doesn't have a good track record correcting shaky O-lines so there is that.

He essentially said as much in his opening press conference.

uno.mannschaft posted:

Why don't you take your positive attitude somewhere else buddy, I demand some god drat standards here!

Oh trust me I'm just as negative as you are, I've just reached the point where it doesn't matter anymore as the Packers are going to continnue to win the division and find hall of fame QB's.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Rooster Brooster posted:

Lovie isn't really high on any players on the offensive side of the ball so you shouldn't single out Glennon like that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@Jerrymcd
The veteran QB Raiders have most interest in at moment is not yet a free agent _ Matt Schaub of Houston.

Professor Funk posted:

I suppose he'd basically be a #3 behind Kerley, in which case I wouldn't mind signing him at the right cost.
I like the idea of signing Decker and Jones and still drafting a Marqise Lee/Brandin Cooks in the 1st.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Starks to re sign with Miami. 2 years 12 million. Been tweeted by two guys I trust so I'm buying it. Great job keeping the better of the two out of Starks and soliai

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ozu posted:

I like the idea of signing Decker and Jones and still drafting a Marqise Lee/Brandin Cooks in the 1st.

Yeah, that post was made under the assumption that they throw money at Decker.

If they signed Jones/Decker, I think I might want to go TE in the first, but I don't think a guy like Ebron would be available.

I would love Cooks too; not sure if they'd need a guy like Lee with those signings.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Jerry McDonald
‏@Jerrymcd
Like it or not, the veteran QB Raiders have most interest in at moment is not yet a free agent _ Matt Schaub of Houston.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I suppose he'd basically be a #3 behind Kerley, in which case I wouldn't mind signing him at the right cost.

I'm not sure James Jones is all that much worse than a Manningless Eric Decker...

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure James Jones is all that much worse than a Manningless Eric Decker...

Now THAT is something else. :cmon:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Intruder posted:

Jerry McDonald
‏@Jerrymcd
Like it or not, the veteran QB Raiders have most interest in at moment is not yet a free agent _ Matt Schaub of Houston.

I'm ok with that

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Dexo posted:

He essentially said as much in his opening press conference.

Oh trust me I'm just as negative as you are, I've just reached the point where it doesn't matter anymore as the Packers are going to continnue to win the division and find hall of fame QB's.

Its a pretty sweet release when you realize that the best your team will ever be is the last step to a rival winning the Super Bowl.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Intruder posted:

Jerry McDonald
‏@Jerrymcd

McGloin will beat him out in camp.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I hope whatever Jacoby Jones gets offered on the market isn't as good as what Baltimore offered him. He's one of the coolest guys on the team and is a great #3 receiver and can be a half decent #2 if people get injured.

I still think it's hilarious how Jacoby loving Jones ended up being the centerpiece of most of the memorable moments from the entire 2012 playoff run.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
As a Raider fan, if Bridgewater doesn't drop to us, I am totally cool with giving McGloin/Pryor one more year. Neither will be top 10 QBs but I think they can keep us competitive.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Toymachine posted:

McGloin will beat him out in camp.

No doubt. What is Mckenzie doing exactly? He seems to have more cap space and less of a plan than anyone else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

Now THAT is something else. :cmon:

They are both big slow guys who get jammed easily right? I don't think the comparison is nuts.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I think Tate is a pretty great signing for the Lions actually, just that dollar amount seemed like way too much. We'll see what it actually ends up being.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I support the McCown signing. As a guy who actually watched every Glennon snap last year I can tell you he sucks. He doesn't turn it over a lot but that's about it.
He looked like he had major stamina issues because he finished almost every game really poorly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sour Diesel posted:

I hope whatever Jacoby Jones gets offered on the market isn't as good as what Baltimore offered him.
He's going to be overpaid for real. I can't wait

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
It's not that free agents chose other places, it's that John Elway just didn't want them :smug:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 41s

#Broncos were interested in defensive playmakers all day yesterday. Before they landed Talib, they tried to get in on Jairus Byrd.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Starks to re sign with Miami. 2 years 12 million. Been tweeted by two guys I trust so I'm buying it. Great job keeping the better of the two out of Starks and soliai

That number seems very low. Delighted if it happens obviously.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

RealDeadTom posted:

No doubt. What is Mckenzie doing exactly? He seems to have more cap space and less of a plan than anyone else.

Tony Sparano has the ear of Davis/RM and is basically saying "Look this Veldheer fella is a natural RT, so offer him the contract for an RT and lets move on". The overpaying of Saffold/Howard is a combination of Having to meet the cap floor, having a billion dollars, the Cap rising, and paying the perennial loser tax that Oakland usually pays. From a running game standpoint, Saffold and Howard are big old run blockers. They obviously see the two as an upgrade. Lamar Houston? I don't know. Maybe he wanted out, maybe they didn't like his attitude? Whatever, the dude was a great run stopper but not a good pass rusher. I guess they wanted more pass rush? The moves are slowly starting to make more sense than they initially did, despite every talking head crowing about how terrible the moves are.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Veldheer took less money to be with Arizona, may have been due to taxes tho.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Veldheer took less money to be with Arizona, may have been due to taxes tho.

Word also has it that Veldheer wanted to be tagged, wasn't, so he fired his agent and hired his brother as his agent. Who refused to negotiate with the Raiders and they mutually parted ways

Who knows at this point

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Why would he want to be tagged?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Ravens and Colts are trying to poach Alex Mack.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 46s

On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe he wanted a year with his triceps fixed to establish himself as a premier tackle and get a monster contract?

I mean it would be risky obviously

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@AdamSchefter: Dolphins are re-siging DT Randy Starks to a two-year, $12 million deal, as @MikeGarafolo reported.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Why would he want to be tagged?

No idea

quote:

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 47s
My sources say that the #Raiders were prepared to offer Veldheer 8.5 million a year but his camp/agent was almost impossible to deal with.

He's going on 95.7 The Game to speak about it now...

Quick rundown...

Veldheer wanted to be franchised, didn't want the franchise tag but wanted it as a sign of respect. His brother was very emotional to deal with. He shut Reggie out of the negotiations because they were upset. Reggie was prepared to go up to 8.5 Mil to keep him. Once the Raiders realized they could replace Veld they stopped trying as well. People were laughing at Veldheer's brother. He's a lawyer in Chicago and was asking for unreasonable demands and ruined it for his brother. Veldheer's wanted out of Oakland after they realized he had suitors from a contending team but put it all on the Raiders. Middlekauf said he got this information from not only people inside the Raider organization but also multiple agents as well.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

DupaDupa posted:

Ravens and Colts are trying to poach Alex Mack.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 46s

On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?
Come on, Colts.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Quest For Glory II posted:

He looked like he had major stamina issues because he finished almost every game really poorly.

Once teams got some tape on him he started looking much worse. He's got a long windup and accuracy issues but worst of all he is loving awful under any sort of pressure. He's pretty mediocre at best. I don't blame them for looking elsewhere.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

quote:

Veldheer wanted to be franchised, didn't want the franchise tag but wanted it as a sign of respect.

haha

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alternatively he is just an idiot

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Vertical Lime posted:

Miles Austin was just released

Not surprised. They said he was most likely gone at the end of last year anyhow. That sucks :(

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

According to Rapoport, Jets want to sign 2 WRs. I'm assuming that means Decker/Jones.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 12, 2014

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Blitz7x posted:

Tony Sparano has the ear of Davis/RM and is basically saying "Look this Veldheer fella is a natural RT, so offer him the contract for an RT and lets move on". The overpaying of Saffold/Howard is a combination of Having to meet the cap floor, having a billion dollars, the Cap rising, and paying the perennial loser tax that Oakland usually pays. From a running game standpoint, Saffold and Howard are big old run blockers. They obviously see the two as an upgrade. Lamar Houston? I don't know. Maybe he wanted out, maybe they didn't like his attitude? Whatever, the dude was a great run stopper but not a good pass rusher. I guess they wanted more pass rush? The moves are slowly starting to make more sense than they initially did, despite every talking head crowing about how terrible the moves are.

Lamar Houston isn't a huge deal, yeah. I guess everyone is just assuming that with all this cap room you guys have, big moves are in order.

So it's probably the lack of major moves that's more frustrating than anything. Should've tried to do what Elway did, snag some of the best free agents whose names aren't Revis and build some success in the short term. Oakland needs a winning season already, sad to see one of the best organizations in sports struggle like it has.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Christ people stop having your family members be your negotiators. When people have a vested interest in your success then teams are going to realize that and exploit the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

According to Rappoport, Jets want to sign 2 WRs. I'm assuming that means Decker/Jones.

THIS would be stupid. No reason to sign 2 possession WR's. Especially if you're getting a big armed QB like Vick who can throw down the field.

• Locked thread