Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Choadmaster posted:

Don't forget you can also connect just about ANY remote to the Apple TV by having the Apple TV learn the buttons

I did not know this. How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

101 posted:

I did not know this. How?

Seconding the hell out of this. Very curious.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht3296

Been there for ages.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Yeah that feature is awesome. Have my TV remote working for it since my lovely Apple remote is garbage or that it's jailbroken and hosed up some voodoo poo poo on it. Whatever!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, that's pretty neat. So I could use the TV or Cable remote to control Apple TV stuff. But I guess the arrow buttons would be active for both devices at once? I'm worried that I might be like browsing the cable guide, and accidentally buying stuff or changing settings on the Apple TV. Hmm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Huh, that's pretty neat. So I could use the TV or Cable remote to control Apple TV stuff. But I guess the arrow buttons would be active for both devices at once? I'm worried that I might be like browsing the cable guide, and accidentally buying stuff or changing settings on the Apple TV. Hmm.

Don't all your remotes have buttons for VCR, DVD, etc? Switch it to one of those modes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

I've never seen a modern cable or TV remote that doesn't have universal functions. All you do is set it to a different device than the TV or cable box. Otherwise, yes, that will happen.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Or use buttons in one of your more commonly-used modes that don't otherwise do anything (there's so damned many buttons on a remote these days). For example, the mode I use on the universal remote for the audio receiver doesn't use the remote's menu buttons or the FF/RW/Pause buttons (all it needs are power and volume) so I could use those buttons and avoid having to switch modes on the remote at all.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

holy poo poo :stare:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know the original post was about atv learning any remote but it inspired me to get out my old, unused Logitech Harmony 650 and add/activity up everything.

My poo poo is slick now.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

I know the original post was about atv learning any remote but it inspired me to get out my old, unused Logitech Harmony 650 and add/activity up everything.

My poo poo is slick now.

If you want slick you should try the Logitech harmony smart remote. It has a base station that stays in place and then a rf remote. So I press an activity button and I don't have to sit there pointing the remote the entire time the activity is playing. It's great.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

echobucket posted:

If you want slick you should try the Logitech harmony smart remote. It has a base station that stays in place and then a rf remote. So I press an activity button and I don't have to sit there pointing the remote the entire time the activity is playing. It's great.

I think I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but what is an 'activity?'

Also, has anyone's airplay had a lag between audio and video since the aTV updated?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The only app I've seen issues with is the NHL app. However I am not sure if it's just a coincidence, since that app is notoriously lovely on every platform.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

An activity is like "watch Apple TV." It might involve a bunch of steps, like turning on the TV, turning on the receiver, switching the input, turning on the Apple TV, etc.

The usual problem with Harmony remotes is that might take 20-30 seconds, and you have to point the remote at the equipment the whole time. If you don't, it ends up in a half switched state. And people who the remote would be best for are pretty bad at pointing it for the full time.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Most of the Harmony remotes have a help button that will walk you through and ask what isn't working and attempt to correct it

The smart hub is incredible since it can sit near your devices and you don't have to worry about line of sight problems

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

smackfu posted:

An activity is like "watch Apple TV." It might involve a bunch of steps, like turning on the TV, turning on the receiver, switching the input, turning on the Apple TV, etc.

The usual problem with Harmony remotes is that might take 20-30 seconds, and you have to point the remote at the equipment the whole time. If you don't, it ends up in a half switched state. And people who the remote would be best for are pretty bad at pointing it for the full time.

It's true that some guests have difficulty with my remote. But I typically buy stuff for my convenience in regards to my living room so it's okay.

In terms of the activities missing I just make a set of custom buttons to trigger anything the activity missed to switch/turn on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is this "smart hub" and does it work with the Harmony One?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just noticed that the new update fixed the iCloud photos as screen saver feature. Think I only ever saw it work twice, most of the time it just threw up pictures of animals even though it was supposed to be pictures of my family vacation. Now it's working every time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haveblue posted:

What is this "smart hub" and does it work with the Harmony One?

Best I can tell it's a re-blaster that you place in your Entertainment center. It gets a quick line of sight message from the remote, and rather than having to keep the remote pointed at your devices, the smart hub re-broadcasts the command for you?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Best I can tell it's a re-blaster that you place in your Entertainment center. It gets a quick line of sight message from the remote, and rather than having to keep the remote pointed at your devices, the smart hub re-broadcasts the command for you?

It's an RF remote to the hub which sends out signals from there. No line of sight needed for the remote to communicate with it.
It doesn't work with the One, but it has a few different price points. The most expensive has a remote that is pretty similar to the One and the cheaper has a simple remote with no touch screen

You can also use the app for iOS and Android to control everything

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Just noticed that the new update fixed the iCloud photos as screen saver feature. Think I only ever saw it work twice, most of the time it just threw up pictures of animals even though it was supposed to be pictures of my family vacation. Now it's working every time.

Cool, we had the same problem. When it worked it was great but sometimes it would just forget and show animal photos. Even though it was set for iCloud in the settings.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don't all your remotes have buttons for VCR, DVD, etc? Switch it to one of those modes.
Nah, I was thinking about my fiance's setup and she just has a TV and Cablevision remote to work with. Nothing in the way of a mode select that I can see on those remotes. However she's never expressed a desire to ditch the little ATV remote anyway, so I'm probably just going out of my way to solve a problem that doesn't exist. :shobon: For my own current setup, I just use a Harmony.

smackfu posted:

Cool, we had the same problem. When it worked it was great but sometimes it would just forget and show animal photos. Even though it was set for iCloud in the settings.
Glad to hear this! The aforementioned fiance's ATV kept putting up the animals too. Shared photostream worked sometimes, but it was a real dice roll.

On to something completely different -- I've considered re-ripping my CD library into a lossles format, but my current laptop doesn't have the HDD capacity for it. I thought about some different approaches and then I came across some info about NAS devices. Would the following setup work with an Apple TV right out of the box?
  • NAS hardwired to my router
  • iTunes software running on my current laptop
  • iTunes library pointed to a folder on the NAS
  • Media added to library through iTunes on the laptop, but stored on the NAS
  • Apple TV streams media that is stored on NAS, but technically being shared and managed through iTunes on the laptop

Would that work and basically give me the same usability I have now (iTunes on the laptop, sharing local files to the ATV)?

P.S. I wasn't really looking into Plex workarounds or things like that, but if I did, would it interfere in my use of subscription services like Netflix and WWE? Or is it the kind of thing that could be broken with a firmware update?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 14, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That setup would work, yes. If the disk can be mounted in the Finder then its contents can go into iTunes, and if it's in iTunes it can go to the ATV (if it's in a supported format).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

haveblue posted:

That setup would work, yes. If the disk can be mounted in the Finder then its contents can go into iTunes, and if it's in iTunes it can go to the ATV (if it's in a supported format).
Cool. I should specify that I'm on Windows 7, but I imagine it would work the same way. I was trying to look this up online, but most of the results were people asking if the ATV could stream directly from the NAS without a computer running iTunes at all.

I'm fine without the direct streaming... just want to use a NAS as a gigantic library folder, with the laptop running the show like it always has. This could be good because I probably shouldn't be treating my laptop like a media server anyway.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Minidust, just to answer your question, using Plex won't break any of your subscription stuff. It's basically just using a signed developer certificate on the device and pointing it to a local DNS server that intercepts the Trailers app calls and redirects them to Plex - everything else routes the same. If you ever do run into anything odd that might block (like I've seen that Apple Software updates sometimes won't call home) just revert your DNS back to normal - do what you need to do - then swap it back. Takes 30 seconds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'm about to join the club and sell my ATV2 for 3x what I bought it for and get an ATV3 and whatever small form factor XBMC happy box I can get with the money. I've just given up on all hope that a jailbreak is coming and some of the channels you can get on iOS 7 are really useful. If an NFL GamePass ever rears it's head, that'll be the final nail in the coffin as it uses geolocation on the iPhone to blackout games I can see otherwise.

Nothing worse than iOS apps that kill the AirPlay stream when you hit Home, too. Doesn't happen in chrome, but does in NFL, WWE etc. Incredibly annoying!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just sold my 3 ATV2s. Put them up on eBay at a $275 BIN and they were gone in a couple hours.

There's a couple power seller on there selling them for $380 and they've sold over 600 so far.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I mean I love my ATV2, but is it really 3x as good as a Roku or ATV3?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

MickRaider posted:

I mean I love my ATV2, but is it really 3x as good as a Roku or ATV3?

You can build a new NUC for less than that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I just sold my 3 ATV2s. Put them up on eBay at a $275 BIN and they were gone in a couple hours.

There's a couple power seller on there selling them for $380 and they've sold over 600 so far.

Holy poo poo. Were yours still jailbroken / on older firmware? Mine is updated to 5.2 or something and would need to be reverted to be jailbroken... but since I've replaced it with a Chromecast, if I can get what it cost to buy (or more!) out if it now I'd love to do so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They were on 5.2 but I updated to 5.3 with Seas0nPass and installed NitoTV and XBMC on them. They're more valuable if you install XBMC Hub Wizard which give you access to :filez: streams but I didn't want to deal with having to field questions about why the UFC PPV wasn't working or whatever.

I ended up moving to a Roku3 w/ Plex instead. If the next ATV supports app installs (like Plex) I might go back

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

IOwnCalculus posted:

but since I've replaced it with a Chromecast, if I can get what it cost to buy (or more!) out if it now I'd love to do so.
How are you using Chromecast? I have one, but my media server is no where near any of my TV's. Is there a plex app that I can install on the Chromecast? Are you just bouncing the media through an tablet or phone to the Chromecast? The only reason I'm holding on to my 2 ATV2's is because of the sweet sweet XBMC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I have two Chromecasts now. The Plex app for Android / iOS supports Chromecast (it was Plexpass only previously, now it's free for everyone) but unlike airplay, you're not actually bouncing the video from Plex Server -> handheld -> Chromecast. When you use Chromecast, the Plex app tells the Chromecast how to connect directly to your Plex server to play whatever you're telling it to play. You continue to use your phone / whatever as a remote, though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I have two Chromecasts now. The Plex app for Android / iOS supports Chromecast (it was Plexpass only previously, now it's free for everyone) but unlike airplay, you're not actually bouncing the video from Plex Server -> handheld -> Chromecast. When you use Chromecast, the Plex app tells the Chromecast how to connect directly to your Plex server to play whatever you're telling it to play. You continue to use your phone / whatever as a remote, though.

That sounds perfect. I'm going to start this as soon as I get home and retire one of the ATV's to a happy ebay home. Thanks.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm confused why my receiver isn't doing surround sound when I try to watch content that has 5.1 audio on my Apple TV. I mainly have this problem with Netflix, and I know my receiver can do dolby digital plus just fine because it works when I use Netflix on the PS3.

I've been on Google trying all sorts of things but haven't been able to solve this issue. Any ideas?

Receiver is Denon, all my devices use the same type of HDMI cable, no optical audio being used.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Which version of ATV? Jailbroken or stock? Where is the media streaming from? What path is the media taking through the ATV/Receiver/TV?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ATV 3, stock running the latest software, streaming media off Netflix, goes from Apple TV via HDMI to AV receiver then to the TV via HDMI again.

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011
I know Denon put out an update recenently (end of Feb. IIRC) to correct some issue with DD+ and Netflix streaming. I have the AVR-E300 and it had the firmware fix. Try connecting your receiver to a network and checking for a firmware update in the menu. It took me about 20 minutes for the download and install.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

0zxy posted:

I know Denon put out an update recenently (end of Feb. IIRC) to correct some issue with DD+ and Netflix streaming. I have the AVR-E300 and it had the firmware fix. Try connecting your receiver to a network and checking for a firmware update in the menu. It took me about 20 minutes for the download and install.

I have that same receiver and downloaded that firmware update a week or two ago but it didn't help. It seems like my Apple TV refuses to do Dolby Digital. Like I said, DD+ works just fine in Netflix on my PS3.

I even tried reseting my Apple TV to factory defaults and it didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm confused why my receiver isn't doing surround sound when I try to watch content that has 5.1 audio on my Apple TV. I mainly have this problem with Netflix, and I know my receiver can do dolby digital plus just fine because it works when I use Netflix on the PS3.

I've been on Google trying all sorts of things but haven't been able to solve this issue. Any ideas?

Receiver is Denon, all my devices use the same type of HDMI cable, no optical audio being used.

Funny I've had very similar issues. Try this out

Rent an iTunes movie, don't do a preview, they don't do DD

I then had DD. Netflix just doesn't give DD even though it should. Two customer calls later confirmed it's a bug on their end.

I have some video files that are DD on my computer. Both Plex and Air Video Hd will do DD.

This is Apple TV 3 using optical audio cable into my receiver. I was testing with Netflix and was pulling my hair out until trying an iTunes rental then realizing it's Netflix.

• Locked thread