Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spikenigma posted:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

"Meh, I've heard that joke before" is surely a more frequent an opinion on this site than

:supaburn:

You just have to weed through the poorly explained hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mo0 posted:

How is that relevant to the idea of "Christ these jokes are old, ugh"? Again, it's possible to dislike a joke for reasons other than their broader political points.

Well the jokes about shoes and blouses were pretty old too, but people are still getting pissed about them.

Rosa Gallica
Sep 13, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Which is more offensive: 'your group likes pretty clothes and shoes' or 'your group is genetically driven to murder and rape'?

I'll give you a hint, its the second. I know, I've had elements of both lobbed at me!

I didn't say one was more acceptable than the other? I focused on the jokes about women in my original post because the episode spends more time making them than it does making jokes about the alien men. Any humor that depends on blanket "women are x/men are y" statements is drawing from a well that ran dry in the early 90s, if not much, much earlier. It's just tired and boring.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

LeJackal posted:

Well the jokes about shoes and blouses were pretty old too, but people are still getting pissed about them.

I'm not saying it's not possible to be offended for those reasons. Spikenigma was asserting that being irritated by an old joke puts you in the same category as a "tumblrite", which, no, it doesn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Material is only a part of comedy, delivery is equally important.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rosa Gallica posted:

Any humor that depends on blanket "women are x/men are y" statements is drawing from a well that ran dry in the early 90s, if not much, much earlier. It's just tired and boring.

Were you born in the early 90s or something? I'm pretty sure "men and women are different" has been a source of humor since the dawn of man.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 12, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Were you born in the early 90s or something? I'm pretty sure "men and women are different" has been a source of human since the dawn of man.

Hey the early '90s called, they want you to stop taking all their credit for ruining comedy tropes.

Was the "hey the blank called" joke old and played out as hell, material wise? Yes. Was it still hilarious as delivered in the show? Yes. But how is that possible if it is a played out joke from the 90s? How can such a thing be?

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
* Guys, guys.

Let's just all relax and drop it. It's an awesome show.

Some people (it's fair to say) are, shall we say, easily offended, no matter the context based on their particular reflexive...shall we say...triggers. :) Some just get mad at a gender joke they think has been rehashed too many times, but are totally not that first set of people.

Let's all just agree to drop it.

* 'Guys' used to denote any and all genders

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

A_Raving_Loon posted:

And even after farting all over everyone's day, he still gave Summer the spaceship. I think, on a better day (and a future episode) he'll be fair about bringing her along for some high-concept rigmarole.

Assuming that most of the intro is made of clips from episodes (since we've seen Jerry shooting the mantises and Rick's alien-demon-family-from-another-dimension's-future tackling him) then we can probably guess that Summer will be in on whatever Cthulhu hijinks end up happening.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only thing people have been saying is that it's kind of pathetic that they couldn't invent some new jokes since Futurama did exactly the same thing in 2001. That's an apolitical statement. If they do an episode just like A Big Piece of Garbage people are going to note that too.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pick posted:

The only thing people have been saying is that it's kind of pathetic that they couldn't invent some new jokes since Futurama did exactly the same thing in 2001. That's an apolitical statement. If they do an episode just like A Big Piece of Garbage people are going to note that too.

Well the problem is that the jokes aren't the same and the setting is entirely different, but people in and outside of this thread are either unwilling or unable to look at anything presented to them in any but the most shallow of views.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

Well the problem is that the jokes aren't the same and the setting is entirely different, but people in and outside of this thread are either unwilling or unable to look at anything presented to them in any but the most shallow of views.

The jokes are exactly the same, but I'm sorry pointing that out apparently has to come with a trigger warning or something.

It's no big deal, the show was good but they've had far more original and interesting jokes in the past, and even in that particular episode.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

The jokes are exactly the same, but I'm sorry pointing that out apparently has to come with a trigger warning or something.

I guess I missed the WNBA joke, or the ones about Rick getting hosed to death. What about the gag where Rick fucks his way out of the situation? I missed that one too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All threads based around Harmon shows inevitably become like this.

WHYYYYYYYYYY :negative:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because people are dumb and refuse to think about anything past their first fleeting impressions gained through a haze of lazy thoughtlessness and generally insipid groupthink.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LeJackal posted:

Because people are dumb and refuse to think about anything past their first fleeting impressions gained through a haze of lazy thoughtlessness and generally insipid groupthink.

Goddamn you are insufferable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

I guess I missed the WNBA joke, or the ones about Rick getting hosed to death. What about the gag where Rick fucks his way out of the situation? I missed that one too.

You're sure missing a lot over here. Like the point.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because nerds. Really that's it. This happens in all the nerd-friendly TV shows. Look at a dumb show like True Blood and compare the level of discussion among fans to nerd friendlier stuff like this show, Game Of Thrones, Community, Breaking Bad. Rick and Morty isn't the smartest thing ever, but even being kind of a smart tv show in the wasteland of television is going to invite overanalysis from the fans, because the fans are neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also it's low hanging crit, and people just want to say something. It's not overanalyzing, it's literally one step above noticing things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drifter posted:

It's no big deal, the show was good but they've had far more original and interesting jokes in the past, and even in that particular episode.

Perfectly said. Doesn't even ruin the episode for me. Just brought it down a couple of notches. Still 100% with this thing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Perfectly said. Doesn't even ruin the episode for me. Just brought it down a couple of notches. Still 100% with this thing.

Why do you even bother watching anything, since its all exactly the same as things you've seen before?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hahaha. Oh man. This thread is going to go places.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I'm serious. Every single episode of this show has had its premise done before, so why are you bothering to watch? According to you all the jokes are the same, so why are you bothering with this old, trite comedy?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I just assume the jackal is either 14 or just started smoking pot (maybe both).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Don't think about it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://youtu.be/jLKnCeeAW48

:)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LeJackal posted:

I'm serious. Every single episode of this show has had its premise done before, so why are you bothering to watch? According to you all the jokes are the same, so why are you bothering with this old, trite comedy?

I'll bite, because, why not?

Before I get into this, please find my post where I said this.

quote:

According to you all the jokes are the same

Thank you.

Anyway. That plot has never worked with me. Not because of any social justice issue, it's always been boring to me. I've seen the Futurama episode, and I'm not a fan of that one either.

Having said that, the writing, was perfectly fine. Rick as a character, was fun to watch in that kind of place. But the real gold for me was the Morty story. That was what I enjoyed. It's the one I'm still thinking about. Because they took a silly idea, and grounded it to a point where it was really poignant as well as hilarious. That's why this show is great. It mixes jet black dark humor with brilliantly crafted bits of drama. People have tried, but most have failed.

Rick and Morty succeeded. They may do a storyline I'm not a fan of...but so what? Just because I didn't love it, doesn't mean I hated it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

Hey, don't mock the WNBA. They no can dunk, but good fundamentals.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I'll bite, because, why not?

Before I get into this, please find my post where I said this.

CelticPredator posted:

Drifter posted:

Emphasis mine. Are you saying that you don't share that exact opinion? It wouldn't be 'perfectly said' if you disagreed with it, would it?

We should be glad that RaM took a tired cliche and did some different and interesting things with it, instead of just retreading the same ground as everyone else.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 12, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, I didn't notice that part. But I still didn't 'say' it. So..ya know. Semitics and such.

What's the opposite of Wubba Lubba Lubba Dub Dub ladies and gentleman?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, I didn't notice that part.

Why are you bothering to defend yourself against accusations of being inattentive?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 12, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Maybe it's just me, but this is the second really polarizing episode and also the second one where Rick does a goofy catchphrase and breaks the fourth wall, isn't it? I don't know if that warrants guessing that there's a writers' room discussion over the plots and someone saying, "Just have Rick say something goofy and address the audience as an acknowledgement that controversial elements of this episode were not to be taken seriously."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would argue and say it's not so much polarizing, but more so people have an issue with a story that's been done a few times before.

Justin talked about the Inception South Park episode, and how they realized they made the same kind of parody/story/joke in Lawnmower Dog. Justin was frustrated. Honestly, aside from throwing in Freddy Kruger at the end, it wasn't really the same. And it's not like putting Freddy in Inception is that radical of a concept. But even if you took issues with that story line, the Lawnmower dog was amazing, and made the whole episode worth it. Same with this one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

From the AMA from last night.

Dan Harmon

This stuff about Beth is fascinating. I hope there's an episode in the future that focuses on Rick's ex-wife and what his relationship with her was like.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

I would argue and say it's not so much polarizing, but more so people have an issue with a story that's been done a few times before.

Justin talked about the Inception South Park episode, and how they realized they made the same kind of parody/story/joke in Lawnmower Dog. Justin was frustrated. Honestly, aside from throwing in Freddy Kruger at the end, it wasn't really the same. And it's not like putting Freddy in Inception is that radical of a concept. But even if you took issues with that story line, the Lawnmower dog was amazing, and made the whole episode worth it. Same with this one.

Same Joke? Maybe. But Lawnmower Dog was actually good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

Lawnmower dog was great.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Lawnmower dog was great.

Those jokes were done before, so it must be boring garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MariusLecter posted:

Those are Justin's words, not mine.

http://splitsider.com/2013/12/talking-to-dan-harmon-and-justin-roiland-about-their-new-adult-swim-show-rick-and-morty/

quote:

Roiland: In terms of visiual look, no. People are gonna say that it's got similarities to Regular Show, but that's just my style, J.G. [Quintel]'s style and even like Penn Ward. You'll notice mouths are kind of similar and teeth are similar, but I think that's also a stylistic thing that… all of us are kind of the same age, and we're all inspired by The Simpsons and all these other shows we're kind of subconsciously tapping into. But then of course, when we write stories, we go out of our way to make sure what we're doing is original and unique. The worst thing is if we're halfway through breaking a story and somebody in the writers' room goes, "Oh poo poo, you guys. I just Googled what we're writing or I just found that this exists in another [show]." We're just like, "[groans]" We immediately are running away from the thing we've just been working on. Definitely that's the worst, to discover that something you're doing has already been done.

Harmon: Yeah, and we can't even do a story fueled by that frustration because South Park already did a story fueled by their frustration of being in The Simpsons' hundred-year shadow. We found ourselves in the room constantly riffing ideas for stories and stuff. Thank God there's usually at least one person somewhere in the building who can say, "Okay, South Park did that."

Roiland: Except for one time.

Harmon: Except for one time, which is one of our 10 episodes. It was like, "Oh boy, did South Park do it."

Which one was it?

Roiland: The Inception one. That half of the story. Luckily, we have two-way stories, so it definitely separates it from the South Park thing and stuff. They did an Inception thing, and we should have loving known better, but we didn't know. What's funny is our writers' assistant, Mike McMahan, worked on South Park, and there were times when we were breaking a story and he said, "Ah ah ah, hold on guys!" But this time, somebody mentioned it, and I don't even think it was him. It was someone else, and it was kind of sheepishly, like they didn't want to be the bearer of bad news. It was past the point of no return on production, and it was somebody with their head down, like "Don't hit me, but just so you know…" And I remember freaking out. To this day, I haven't watched the episode. I remember you watched it and texted me and said it's not as bad as…

Harmon: It's two different things. There's that sort of silly but important sense of craftsmanship that says, "If someone did it, then you can't do it." And "it" doesn't have to be identical in execution. You always have to play it out on a case-by-case basis. It's totally two different takes on these references, but to make the same references… What I found over doing these 10 episodes is the thing that immediately precedes someone piping up and saying "South Park did it" would be either me getting so excited about a story that we were breaking that I started sliding into a political rant, something about shaking the pillars of the system or making some observation about capitalism. That immediately, within five minutes, I was gonna be pitching something that South Park had already done better. And the other thing was just pop culture stuff because those guys specialize in — if anyone's talking about anything, those guys are pumping out an episode about it very quickly with some kind of take.

Lawnmower Dog is my favorite episode.

And LeJackal, why do you have to take things to cartoonish extremes? It's weird. No one here is even going after the show. We all love it unconditionally.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 12, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Lawnmower Dog is my favorite episode.

I think I'm going to agree with you here.

CelticPredator posted:

And LeJackal, why do you have to take things to cartoonish extremes? It's weird. No one here is even going after the show. We all love it unconditionally.

Complex reasons surrounding my disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

Complex reasons surrounding my disability.

Which is..?

• Locked thread