Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes I know what pretentious loving means.

If you think Rain is more pretentious than Braid, then I really doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did Blow actually get mad when soljaboy did that review?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
EU folks, expect a sale on Last of Us & Tearaway next week, to celebrate both games getting two BAFTAs each (so far!) in the ongoing Games BAFTAs

[Edit] Make that three for Tearaway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cool more chances for people to not buy tearaway :mad:

glad it's getting positive critical reception at least.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Mung Dynasty posted:

Let's not go down this road. Braid was poo poo and the only thing that was good about it was the music, which is public domain and obtainable from sources that don't involve playing Braid. Derail and discussion over. :colbert:

counterpoint: braid is good

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mung Dynasty posted:

Let's not go down this road. Braid was poo poo and the only thing that was good about it was the music, which is public domain and obtainable from sources that don't involve playing Braid. Derail and discussion over. :colbert:

Wait, what? When Braid came out there were stories about how one of his largest costs was purchasing rights for the music. I'm pretty sure they're not public domain.

Also it was a great game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

counterpoint: braid is good

Yeah this.

It's not as good as it needs to be to really pull off all the things Blow is attempting to say with it, but it's still a really solid puzzle platformer. It's pretentious because it's not possible for it to be as good as it needs to be to justify all the genre subverting stuff that's present in the presentation, but I still had a good time with it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I get that Braid is pretentious, and I agree. How is RoR pretentious? I've only killed the first boss and played for maybe 45 mins total...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh my god. Can the store just update already so we can talk about video games actually on psn?

Seriously, are the store updaters busy playing dark souls 2? Can't say I'd blame them.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Braid has lovely irritating art.
A game with different art and less pretentious storytelling but with the same music and fundamental mechanics would've been awesome.

e: Character art. The backgrounds/environment was fine.

zachol fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 12, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah this.

It's not as good as it needs to be to really pull off all the things Blow is attempting to say with it, but it's still a really solid puzzle platformer. It's pretentious because it's not possible for it to be as good as it needs to be to justify all the genre subverting stuff that's present in the presentation, but I still had a good time with it.

I actually think it is good enough to pull those things off, and only earns its "pretentious" label with its blocks of text. Which are all skippable and don't show up in any great quantity anyway, so it's not like they prevent you from enjoying the game.

redreader posted:

I get that Braid is pretentious, and I agree. How is RoR pretentious? I've only killed the first boss and played for maybe 45 mins total...

Rain, not Risk of Rain. Two different games.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda liked the game-looks-like-a-moving-painting pastiche that Braid had. I can see how that'd not be everyone's cup of tea, though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
At least braids art was better than what it started out with:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Braid is great as a game because [puzzle stuff is hella interesting] and kinda nifty as a plot because the puzzle stuff plays directly into the story.

Some people get angry because the game has a moral about which it gets a little preachy and also because the epilogue introduces the bomb angle ((potentially) seemingly) out of nowhere which can cause a lot of people to read it as though it's saying the princess is a metaphor for the bomb when in fact the bomb is an allegory for the princess who is herself an allegory for unattainable goals we may chase without being fully aware of what the chase does to us.

What really doesn't help is that it is next to goddamn impossible to explain this to someone without them feeling as though you're insulting their intelligence for not understanding it. That's how the "pretentious" thing starts.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD comes out can I buy the games separately in the store? Don't really care for X-2.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Aforementioned BAFTAs just ended: Last of Us went home with five gongs (Action/Adventure, Audio Achievement, Story, and Overall GotY, with Ashley Johnson getting the Best Performance gong) and Tearaway with three (Artistic Achievement, Mobile/Handheld and Family Award). I'll be genuinely shocked if they aren't put on a celebratory sale in the next week.

(Full results are here and an achieve of the broadcast should be up soon-ish.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Girls have braids. And if you liked Braid it means you are a girl. Also, braids sounds like AIDS, and if you liked Braid you probably have AIDS too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

When Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD comes out can I buy the games separately in the store? Don't really care for X-2.

X-2 is a download for the Vita version but I don't think it's going to be separate.

It's worth mentioning that it also comes with X-2: Last Mission which is a weird Shiren the Wanderer clone so at bare minimum you might have fun with that if you don't want to play X-2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I want to say that Square-Enix is only selling the Vita versions separately while the PS3 version is both games put together no matter what. Like I think someone's linked me to an article of Square saying that but I can't recall.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Policenaut posted:

I want to say that Square-Enix is only selling the Vita versions separately while the PS3 version is both games put together no matter what. Like I think someone's linked me to an article of Square saying that but I can't recall.

They ended up going back on that. Both versions are bundled together no matter what. (For now, anyway. They always split up these collections later down the line.)

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Braid is a gimmicky platform-puzzler with a self-indulgent story that also tries to be an allegory for the atomic bomb so yes, I'd say pretentious is a pretty good way of describing it.

I really like the gameplay and aesthetics, and they all play into little nods at Mario and other classic plataformers. The gameplay component also plays into a non-intrusive plot that by way of allegory (one which arguably only makes sense in retrospect) delivers a pretty concrete and simple message.

Whether you agree with the message is your prerogative, as is how competent you feel the game is at delivering it, but Braid is what it is, which is clear from the get-go and doesn't aim to be anything more. It just doesn't compute to me that people would call it pretentious.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Policenaut posted:

So that PlayStation Home trophy patch dropped this morning. You can clear almost everything in like 5 minutes. Most of them are retroactive... except for that awful one requiring you to log into Home for 50 different days. :doh:

Just out of curiosity, I started up Home (which I haven't been on in months) and it instantly popped up five or six trophies. This is bad for my trophy addiction. At least it doesn't have a plat or I'd probably spend a lot of time putting up with Home and its users.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So when is Towerfall going to be discounted from $15? I really want to try it but not when I know I'll be saving a few bucks "soon".

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Holy crap you guys are right! Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout are all back to normal prices, even though they're still listed under the ICG. Hopefully this is definitely them getting ready to swap out 3 new games but it could just be general PSN fuckery so we'll see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How is the store still not loving updated? Whoa.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Update 2 (3PM PT/6PM ET on March 12th): @PlayStation tweeted, “PS Store has partially updated. You may see some content live; Plus offers yet to publish. Working hard to complete ASAP, updates to come.” This means that games like TowerFall: Ascension and Vessel are available to buy in the store, but their PlayStation Plus sale prices have yet to go in effect.

Stay tuned for any more updates as they arrive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I actually think it is good enough to pull those things off, and only earns its "pretentious" label with its blocks of text. Which are all skippable and don't show up in any great quantity anyway, so it's not like they prevent you from enjoying the game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Braid and I even think the ending is neat, it's just all the other stuff that it's doing with it's presentation, text and subtext just don't work all that well because the gameplay needs to be more than it ended up being. What I'm saying it the gameplay is really good but it's not realyl good enough to get across what the game is saying very well, which is where alot of the aggravation and calls of it being pretentious come from. It's a game that reaches very far and doesn't even come close, but it carries on like it has. That doesn't actually make it a bad game, just a pretentious one.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks again for the EU update, Delusibeta.

Some thing to point out:

Delusibeta posted:

On the Vita side of things, only one release this week: Hatsune Miku Project Diva f turns up late and overpriced, at £23.99/€29.99/$43.95.
*update* The game is finally available. It was missing from the store update yesterday.

The pre-order for the PS3 version Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is now available for £19.99/€19.99/AU$24.95 (yup £1 = €1 once again :rolleyes:). This pre-order includes the PS3 game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - HD Edition.
Reminder: the free Peace Walker offer is only available in the EU region.

Ground Zeroes will come out on Friday, 21 March, along with Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster and inFamous: Second Son. :psyboom:

Great Value Games sale is still going on. Sales marked with ▼ will end next week:

quote:

✚ All game have an additional 10% PS+ discount, unless otherwise noted

PS3 Games:
Babel Rising £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 2/4
Beyond Good & Evil £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
Cloudberry Kingdom £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
▼ Dark Mist £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 20/3
▼ Datura £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 20/3
▼ .detuned £1.59/€1.99/AU$2.95 20/3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut £9.69/€11.99/AU$17.95 2/4
▼ Eat Them! £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 20/3
▼ Elefunk £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 20/3
The Expendables 2 The Videogame £2.99/€3.59/AU$5.25 2/4
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon £5.99/€7.49/AU$11.05 2/4
▼ Fat Princess £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3
Flashback £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
From Dust £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
▼ God of War HD £7.99/€9.99/AU$14.45 20/3
Hitman Trilogy HD £9.69/€11.99/AU$17.95 2/4 (individual games not available in Australia)
- Hitman: Blood Money HD £4.79/€5.99 3/4
- Hitman 2: Silent Assassin HD £4.79/€5.99 3/4
- Hitman Contracts HD £5.49/€6.99 3/4
I Am Alive £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
Just Cause 2 £4.99/€6.19/AU$9.15 2/4
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men £4.79/€5.99/AU$8.85 3/4
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days £4.99/€6.19/AU$9.15 3/4
Mad Riders £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 3/4
▼ Medieval Moves £6.49/€7.99/AU$11.75 20/3 (requires Move)
Noby Noby Boy £1.59/€1.99/AU$2.95 3/4 (✚Additional 50% PS+ discount)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors – Grand Line Edition £7.99/€9.99/AU$14.45 2/4
Outland £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 2/4
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ All You Can Eat Edition £5.49/€6.99/AU$10.35 2/4
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
▼ PlayStation Move Heroes £6.49/€7.99/AU$11.75 20/3 (requires Move)
▼ Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3
▼ rain £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3
Rayman 3 HD £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
Shoot Many Robots £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 2/4
Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 2/4
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4
▼ Starhawk £7.99/€9.99/AU$14.45 20/3
▼ Tokyo Jungle £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3
▼ Top Darts £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3 (requires Move)
Tomb Raider: Underworld £4.99/€6.19/AU$9.15 3/4
▼ Trash Panic £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 20/3
▼ Uncharted 2: Among Thieves £6.49/€7.99/AU$11.75 20/3
▼ When Vikings Attack! £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3 (cross-buy PS3|Vita)
▼ Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler £6.49/€7.99/AU$11.75 20/3 (requires Wonderbook and Move)

PS2 Classics:
Deus Ex £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
Just Cause £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
▼ Twisted Metal: Black £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 20/3

PSone Classics:
▼ Crash Bandicoot £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 20/3
Tomb Raider £0.99/€1.19/AU$1.75 3/4
Tomb Raider II Starring Lara Croft £0.99/€1.19/AU$1.75 3/4
Tomb Raider III £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 3/4
Tomb Raider Chronicles £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 3/4
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation £1.99/€2.49/AU$3.65 3/4

Vita Games:
▼ Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery £0.79/€0.99/AU$1.45 20/3
▼ ModNation Racers: Road Trip £6.99/€9.99/AU$14.95 20/3
Touch My Katamari £6.99/€9.99/AU$14.95 3/4
▼ Uncharted: Golden Abyss £6.99/€9.99/AU$14.95 20/3 (✚Still free for PS+ members)
▼ When Vikings Attack! £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 20/3 (cross-buy PS3|Vita)

PSP Games:
Me and My Katamari £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.35 3/4
Tomb Raider: Anniversary £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35 3/4
Tomb Raider: Legend £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 3/4

Links to free stuff:
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters + Free Character Jann Lee - Free and only available for 3 weeks, 3.7 GB
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f Vita version: Diva Enhancement DLC 233 MB
LittleBigPlanet games: St. Patrick's Day Costume - Free and only available for 1 week (all cross-buy PS3|Vita): LBP2 version | LBP Karting version | LBP Vita version

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 13, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is now Thursday in the east coast and the NA store still hasn't been completely updated. :reject: A Thursday update, just like the old days.

I found two things in PS Home that might be of interest to some of you:

1. As an apology for glitches in the Quest for Greatness game, they gave out a multi-use code for everyone to use: 7JPL-FFN7-JC6C
This will give you these PS Home items:
- Energy Pulsing Sword
- Animated Retro Game Wall
- Animated Microphone & Music Notes
- Nine-Tailed Fox

2. The PS+ section in the Hub accidentally leaked next week's PS+ games, shown below: Thomas Was Alone and Unit 13. That means Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite will be available on March 25.

The rest of the NA PS+ schedule of free games for March:
whenever this week: PS3/Vita game Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
March 18: PS3/Vita game Thomas Was Alone and Vita game Unit 13, replacing PS3 game Binary Domain and PSP game Worms: Battle Islands
March 25: PSP game Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite, replacing either Vita games ModNation Racers: Road Trip or Street Fighter X Tekken. We'll know which game will go away on the PS+ preview post next week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I hope that $60 offer went live despite the delay because I bought Dark Souls :v:

Policenaut posted:

This is for the Japanese release. The English releases are sold as a single collection for both systems. The digital versions are bundled and the PS3 physical version is a single bluray. If you buy the Vita version physically though you get the FFX cart and FFX-2 as a download code, so I guess you can buy that version and sell the download code if you really want to.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It's weird that the FFX/X-2 HD preorder is available on EU PSN, but not on NA one - at least I haven't found it. Also, has the EU PSN ever issued a promotion of "Spend x money, gain some PSN money", or is entirely NA PSN's/NA's branch of Sony trick?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Is spelunky still a cross buy on the EU psn store? I can't find any indication of it and both platforms have a separate listing for the game. I already missed the huge discount on it, last thing I want to do is buy a platform specific version on top of that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Stux posted:

Is spelunky still a cross buy on the EU psn store? I can't find any indication of it and both platforms have a separate listing for the game. I already missed the huge discount on it, last thing I want to do is buy a platform specific version on top of that.

Yep. Like most indie games, it's the same price whether you buy it on the PS3 or Vita, and you get the other version no matter what.

Your progress (shortcuts and characters unlocked) is shared between both platforms automatically.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Szurumbur posted:

has the EU PSN ever issued a promotion of "Spend x money, gain some PSN money", or is entirely NA PSN's/NA's branch of Sony trick?

AFAIK, no, although I suspect the reasoning is that the EU store has to deal with vastly different currencies, while NA only has the US dollar and the Canadian Dollar, which for promo purposes is close enough.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Yechezkel posted:

It is now Thursday in the east coast and the NA store still hasn't been completely updated. :reject: A Thursday update, just like the old days.

I found two things in PS Home that might be of interest to some of you:

1. As an apology for glitches in the Quest for Greatness game, they gave out a multi-use code for everyone to use: 7JPL-FFN7-JC6C
This will give you these PS Home items:
- Energy Pulsing Sword
- Animated Retro Game Wall
- Animated Microphone & Music Notes
- Nine-Tailed Fox

2. The PS+ section in the Hub accidentally leaked next week's PS+ games, shown below: Thomas Was Alone and Unit 13. That means Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite will be available on March 25.

The rest of the NA PS+ schedule of free games for March:
whenever this week: PS3/Vita game Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
March 18: PS3/Vita game Thomas Was Alone and Vita game Unit 13, replacing PS3 game Binary Domain and PSP game Worms: Battle Islands
March 25: PSP game Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite, replacing either Vita games ModNation Racers: Road Trip or Street Fighter X Tekken. We'll know which game will go away on the PS+ preview post next week.

Mostly unrelated, but do you know when XCOM, Uncharted 3 and Little Big Planet Karting will be replaced?

Edit: read the first post, probably around E3. Ignore me!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
My internets unfucked just long enough for me to access that Home quest. I only wanted Resident Evil, so these are for any PS4 owners playing these games:

Warframe: 50 Platinum code: 6P7N 4HNN Q6L5

Warframe: 20k credits and 3 day affinity booster: 5TN7 FQN8 L2ND

Blacklight Retribution: 500 Zcoin: 8C94 K7NG C5H4

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 13, 2014

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Parkingtigers posted:

Blacklight Retribution: 500 Zcoin:

Reedeemed this; thanks!

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Parkingtigers posted:

My internets unfucked just long enough for me to access that Home quest. I only wanted Resident Evil, so these are for any PS4 owners playing these games:

Warframe: 50 Platinum code: 6P7N 4HNN Q6L5

Warframe: 20k credits and 3 day affinity booster: 5TN7 FQN8 L2ND

Blacklight Retribution: 500 Zcoin: 8C94 K7NG C5H4

I was unable to take the Warframe codes so those may have been snagged as well. Thanks though!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I keep forgetting but if I use a $50 PSN card to add funds to my account to buy a game that does not count towards the $60 for $10, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
So did the Monday PSN update screw up something with the Tuesday update, or are the NA guys too busy rolling their Dark Souls II characters?

• Locked thread