Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 11m

NFLPA Records have the total contract value so far in free agency at $982,160,000…total guaranteed at $453,080,000

:staredog:

drat, that's a lot of money moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

I wonder why the Pats aren't going after Hakeem Nicks, since the Pats run an offense that relies heavily on wr option routes and quite a few receivers that the pats have picked up haven't been able to pick it up (cough ochocinco cough), the Giants have a similar offense, IIRC.

Edit: Also wondering why the Pats aren't going after Emmanuel Sanders when they were pushing heavily for him last season. Did he drop off this past season?

Sanders seemed to be a win/win gently caress-with-a-conference-rival thing. Force the Steelers to sign him to too much money and get into cap trouble, or wrench him away and make them scramble to grab someone else.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

Who would even be willing to replace him?

A team with an incredible amount of cap space , zero expectations for years and almost total freedom to reshape the organization ? Everybody and their mothers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sproles trade owns. Chipball gonna own. Prepare team for Ludicrous Speed. :getin:

Ehud posted:

@JasonLaCanfora: Nolan Carroll's 2yr deal with the Eagles is worth $5.25M, but has a max of over $7M with attainable playing time bonuses and incentives

This is good, maybe, I think. Is he better than Cary Williams?

Nolan Carroll hasn't beat Chip recently, has he?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cary Williams has that great ability to not let getting beat affect his confidence. Every CB needs that.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

Quest For Glory II posted:

No you see no receiver has EVER done well without Manning, especially not Pierre Garcon who led the league in receptions

This is from a few pages back, but it did get me thinking. Manning's receivers have generally done fairly well even after separating from him (Garcon, Wayne) whereas guys who have put up big numbers with Brady have generally been busts elsewhere (Deion Branch). This is obviously based more on perception than actual stats, since we're talking about so few guys. Still, I was hypothesizing if this might be because Manning makes his receivers great by insisting on precise route running and attention to detail - skills that translate well, regardless of where the player ultimately ends up. Meanwhile Brady is just absurdly accurate and manages to put the ball exactly where it needs to be, making receivers look great, even though Brady is doing most of the work himself. This is similar to another absurdly accurate QB (Drew Brees) who does great things with receivers who don't do much elsewhere.

Granted, this is just a generalization since all of the great QBs demand a lot of their receivers, but Manning has that reputation of insisting that they be perfect with their routes and preparation, since he gets by on preparation and a mental advantage more than his physical abilities. Brady and Brees certainly are smart and prepare as well as anyone, but they can also camoflouge receivers' mistakes by hitting a tight window, so the receivers can be successful without actually being so polished. So Manning makes receivers become great, since he needs that for success, while Brady and Brees just make receivers look great with their own abilities. If true, grabbing a receiver who has played a while with Manning should be a bonus rather than a red flag.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's official, Steve Smith was just cut.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deion Branch was never really all that spectacular with Brady either.

Garcon also wasn't nearly as good as his reception numbers last year, though it's true that he didn't completely go to poo poo without Manning.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The two best games of his career were the two superbowls, so man did he ever pick his spots.

But yeah, he's only ever been close to a 1000 yard season once.

Welker was solid last year, but had a significant drop off (due to being targeted like a million times less, so go either way). Then there's Moss who was replaced with a body double when he left, and then you have to go back to like David Givens for a starting WR who left on a big contract and was promptly seriously injured and never recovered.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

It's official, Steve Smith was just cut.

He's going to be in Denver so loving fast and will have the year of his career.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ehud posted:

@JasonLaCanfora: Nolan Carroll's 2yr deal with the Eagles is worth $5.25M, but has a max of over $7M with attainable playing time bonuses and incentives

If the Dolphins land Patterson for the rumored 2y/$5mil that is a huge win.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did Smith want to leave or were the Panthers sick of him or something? Seems like they should have just restructured or at least say they wanted to try etc.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Everyone's generally saying it was completely the Panthers decision I think.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Grittybeard posted:

Everyone's generally saying it was completely the Panthers decision I think.

Their owner doesn't like black people and Steve Smith is a loud, black man.

Edit: But I seriously read something that said it had to do with Smith's trash talking/attitude.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Professor Funk posted:

Their owner doesn't like black people and Steve Smith is a loud, black man.

Edit: But I seriously read something that said it had to do with Smith's trash talking/attitude.
Yeah I should have just googled it, sorry. Seems weird for a guy to be there that long and not sort of settle in or at least for people to get used to him though, even if he's a total spaz. Plus, as someone else already said, their WR group is now clearly worse than even the Jets and Patriots corps were last season.

edit: corps not cores :)

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 13, 2014

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Goetta posted:

He is the obvious starting tackle in TB. I don't know where he plays in Cincy.

They would probably kick Whit in to guard like Atticus said but I don't know if the upgrade to a left side of Collins/Whitworth from Whitworth/Boling or Pollak is really worth 6 mil/yr. It's bizarre that he chose Tampa though, I get him wanting to leave Cincy if he wasn't guaranteed a starting job but if Carolina was in play why wouldn't he go there?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Cary Williams has that great ability to not let getting beat affect his confidence. Every CB needs that.

OK. But do you know what's even better than this?

Not getting consistently burned in the first place.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The scuttlebutt is Gettleman doesn't think Steve's production is worth dealing with his attitude/tirades (very much a possibility) and feels his locker room presence is stopping Cam and Luke from becoming the leaders the team needs them to be. The second part sounds like absolute rubbish.

As far as cutting him, they don't gain any cap or salary relief by doing so, and they just gave themselves the worst WR corps in the NFL.

Complicating the issue is the fact he's the face of the franchise and that was just loving cold as hell.

Who knows.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bears apperantly signed Willie Young to a 3 year deal, What can Lions fans tell me about him?

edit:

quote:

Willie Young agreed to a 3-year, $9M deal with #Bears that included a $2M signing bonus and $3.95M total guaranteed.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
This could get real, real sad

quote:

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 4m
One theory, that I didn't want to consider because it's so sad, is the Raiders don't have cash to give bonuses.

quote:

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 1m
Saffold's deal had a huge roster bonus. CFO was in the meeting. Not the worst theory.

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

quote:

@AlbertBreer: Breakdown of Revis' deal: He gets $10 million to sign, $1.5 million base salary, $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses up to 15 games for '14.

quote:

@AlbertBreer: In 2015, he has a $12 million roster bonus due of 4/1/15, payable if his option is exercised by end of '14 league year. $7.5M base for '15.

quote:

@AlbertBreer: Because there's the option on Revis' deal, I believe that splits his cap hit, and makes his cap hit $6.5 million for 2014.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

pangstrom posted:

Yeah I should have just googled it, sorry. Seems weird for a guy to be there that long and not sort of settle in or at least for people to get used to him though, even if he's a total spaz. Plus, as someone else already said, their WR core is now clearly worse than even the Jets and Patriots cores were last season.

But what about the Patriots corp this season? Love the Revis signing, but they are doing nothing to help Brady out.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

MOVE EM TO VEGAS

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

God this loving sucks.

Trigger warning, Nit Wit Dog poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_tk9MFKAVs

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

They would probably kick Whit in to guard like Atticus said but I don't know if the upgrade to a left side of Collins/Whitworth from Whitworth/Boling or Pollak is really worth 6 mil/yr. It's bizarre that he chose Tampa though, I get him wanting to leave Cincy if he wasn't guaranteed a starting job but if Carolina was in play why wouldn't he go there?

Kicking Whitworth inside I think only makes sense if either the options at guard are terrible (they aren't) or Collins is a better LT (he probably isn't).

That being said they did apparently offer him a deal in line with the contract he signed so they had something in mind. But for all we know it could have been loaded with playing time incentives or something.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ok, so it's essentially 1 year deal with a ludicrous 2nd year option tacked on to avoid any franchise tag.

@RapSheet
In the end, Revis’ Pats deal turns out to be a two-year deal worth $32M with a team option for $20M in 2015… which means no franchise tag

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Dexo posted:

Bears apperantly signed Willie Young to a 3 year deal, What can Lions fans tell me about him?

You probably remember him best for giving Josh McCown a forearm shiver last year on a 2-point conversion in the fourth quarter with the game in the balance. So, yeah, enjoy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Dexo posted:

edit:

He was a seventh-round pick who used to shine in the preseason before disappearing. Last year he seemed to figure it out, and he was a cool guy to have around. He loves fishing. Will be sorry to see him go.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Dexo posted:

edit:

Good situational pass rusher.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Why are the Bears signing dumb Lions DEs instead of Corey Wootton?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tinstaach posted:

You probably remember him best for giving Josh McCown a forearm shiver last year on a 2-point conversion in the fourth quarter with the game in the balance. So, yeah, enjoy.

Shrug. At least he was close enough the quarterback to cheap shot him at the end of a play. That's an improvement.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why are the Bears signing dumb Lions DEs instead of Corey Wootton?

This is the most depressing thing :(, Wooton IIRC did have offseason surgery so maybe they are waiting to see how he rehabs.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

DOOP posted:

This is good, maybe, I think. Is he better than Cary Williams?

Nolan Carroll hasn't beat Chip recently, has he?

The last couple years he's supposed to have been the #3 or #4 corner but gets thrust into a starting role and generally performs at least pretty average IMO. He really flashed some upside this year, so I'm a little bothered by him not being re-signed but hey.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I forgot that Dominique Rodgers Cromartie was still out there. I would be happy with the Jets going after him. Had PFF's fourth highest coverage grade last year, or somewhere around there.

Mehta posted:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 12m

Jets have had some general conversations with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's camp, I'm told. #NYJ still in market to add a CB. #nyj

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

Ozu posted:

Ok, so it's essentially 1 year deal with a ludicrous 2nd year option tacked on to avoid any franchise tag.

@RapSheet
In the end, Revis’ Pats deal turns out to be a two-year deal worth $32M with a team option for $20M in 2015… which means no franchise tag

It seems to discourage the idea of turning this into a long-term thing, but that probably wasn't gonna happen anyway. Likewise with the franchise tag, no way they would've tried it with Revis anyway.

The positive for the Patriots is this gives some breathing room for more signings right now.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Goetta posted:

Kicking Whitworth inside I think only makes sense if either the options at guard are terrible (they aren't) or Collins is a better LT (he probably isn't).
The guard situation isn't terrible but Boling will be freshly recovered, if that, when the season starts. The only 2 guards available right now are Zeitler and Pollak (who's going to be in the center battle).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Blitz7x posted:

Okay I'm laughing now
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/61/fiasco

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Goetta posted:

That being said they did apparently offer him a deal in line with the contract he signed so they had something in mind. But for all we know it could have been loaded with playing time incentives or something.

Plus supposedly Whitworth has said he doesn't want to play guard, even though he was dominant after he moved inside last season.

In the end I'm fine with it I think because the biggest hole in the line is at center anyway

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

The city of Oakland deserves better. Deport the team to Toronto

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Robot_Rumpus posted:

But what about the Patriots corp this season? Love the Revis signing, but they are doing nothing to help Brady out.

They haven't yet let Edleman slip away, and given the offer I heard they gave him (about 4m a year for three years) it's not that they're not trying, it seems that Edleman (reasonably) thinks he can get a better offer with his gaudy stats from last year and probably get overpaid. I think it may not work out because while I love Edleman, I don't think he's quite as good as his stats made him look that year, and I think both he and the Patriots know it. He wants to see if someone will overpay because this is his best chance to get paid and he's got to seize it, and the Patriots don't want to overpay. I still hope they get a deal done and think it's possible because I think Edleman is more valuable to the Patriots than to anyone else, and so it's the best place for him to end up and they can make the highest sensible offer. But it only takes one idiot to pay him much more than he's worth to the Patriots.

The biggest problem Brady seemed to have with his receivers is that he'd never worked with them before, and just wasn't on the same page with most of them a lot of the time. That's not a problem you can solve through free agency. Hopefully last year's rookies are more in sync with Brady now, hopefully Gronk manages to stay healthy through the end of the season, maybe Amendola stays healthy. That's the best way they'll solve the problem of not being on the same page. The talent could definitely be upgraded around him, but you're getting into cap tradeoffs there and I'd want to see what they'd have to give up to sign Smith or some other great free agent WR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Blitz7x posted:

Does little Davis realize he could be a billionaire if he sold the team?

• Locked thread