Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Disillusionist posted:

How awesome would it be to be a sports agent by day, amateur league hockey goon by night?

Doing sports law probably isn't as glamorous as you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--f...-051406345.html

Another loving spinal injury guy?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
His spine is fine now according to everything I've seen. He's more the humble upbringing guy.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
If he could just defend the pass well he'd be getting a huge contract.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

As soon as he was activated from the PUP list he didn't miss a game. He's the definition of a mediocre ILB. He won't hurt you unless your DC asks him to do a lot of coverage.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This is nice, I'm glad we're all defending Jameel McClain. He's a cool dude that is definitely a starter caliber player.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BlindSite posted:

Panthers take an outside linebacker, running back and defensive tackle with first three picks. Panthers run goal line formation exclusively, go for it every fourth down, line up with 7 players on the line, 3 linebackers and one safety in the backfield, blitz every down. Panthers win the superbowl, fans steal the bucc's pirate ship from their stadium, paint on the side "Ron's Riverboat" cam newton gets early induction to the hall of fame, the only player still playing to do so after running for 5,000 yards and impregnating women just by doing the superman celebration.

Is there a way to work in Steve Smith being a double agent that returns to the Panthers right before the Super Bowl?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Stealing this from another Pats fan, but if Browner gets signed by the Pats, i like this:

"The Bermuda Triangle, McCourtey, Revis, Browner, receivers just dissapear in it."

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Thanks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is painfully generic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mister Fister posted:

Stealing this from another Pats fan, but if Browner gets signed by the Pats, i like this:

"The Bermuda Triangle, McCourtey, Revis, Browner, receivers just dissapear in it."

I hate you.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is painfully generic.

I want something cool like the LoB too :saddowns:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mister Fister posted:

I want something cool like the LoB too :saddowns:

You can't force those things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Brannock posted:

You can't force those things.

LoB is pretty forced though.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mister Fister posted:

why not call it "we were going to the afc championship game anyway"

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

kyle "goatse" arrington

because he leaves a gaping hole in coverage, you see

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hate who you are as a person

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

kyle "goatse" arrington

Alright, this saved it.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Or you could call them Wichita State because they don't face any good receivers in the AFC East.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kalli posted:

Alright, this saved it.

Not quite. I mean he doesn't have a ring or anything.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Butthead posted:

Or you could call them Wichita State because they don't face any good receivers in the AFC East.

Well you did it. You managed to say something stupid enough to take the heat off him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Patriots' season is like Amelia Earhart; both are lost

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

kyle "goatse" arrington

Fuckin owned

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blitz7x posted:

Rap are you making fun of me

No no just making fun of the tweet you posted which was #viral

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mister Fister posted:

You should give that back to whoever you stole it from.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You should give that back to whoever you stole it from.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Where do I get me a pair of shorts like that? Summertime is just around the corner ya'll

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The Chargers sign Bengals CB Brandon Ghee. When he's not injured, he's pretty good. Chargers will like him if he plays.

Bengals are also mulling over matching Baby Hawk's offer sheet. Hawkins is awesome but... that's a bit too much, especially when they're clearing out space for someone's extension.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
So I’ve been reading some Ask Vic articles on the Packers website by Vic Ketchman, and he has some really good insights about free agency. It brings a bit of humble pie to the teams that just spent big and think they’ve solved their issues.

The articles mix in non free agency related questions, and are Packer heaver, so here are the highlights I wanted to share. I apologize in advance for the length:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/My-inbox-is-insane-just-spend-baby/99fb58b2-c749-478a-98e9-5916717fc88f

quote:

Chance from Beloit, WI

Vic, what do you think about picking up Justin Tuck for the right price? Say, $3.8 million for a year or two?

There are no bargains in the first week of free currency.

quote:

Bob from Oosterhout, The Netherlands

Are there any players signed yesterday that would be a good fit for the Packers for that price?

No, everybody overpaid, but somebody will get lucky. Do you want to gamble that you’ll be the lucky one? Or do you want to join the others crying in their beer with regret when the season is over and they see what a mess they’ve created?

quote:

Max from Lincoln, RI

Vic, I am not sure why the Packers did absolutely nothing this first day while all of the other teams signed like crazy. Now big-named people like Jairus Byrd are gone. Can you clarify why?

The Packers get it.

quote:

Nick from Lake Mary, FL

Here we go again, not making any moves in free agency, letting big names go to other teams. Why doesn’t Ted Thompson ever go after the top dogs? It’s so frustrating as a Packers fan.

Take care of your frustration; Thompson will take care of the roster. Seriously, there needs to be a bond of trust between the team and its fans that the team is doing what’s best for the team. Who would you have had them sign last year that would’ve made the Packers a better team? Should they have signed Steven Jackson and not drafted Eddie Lacy? How would you feel now? I looked at last year’s NFL draft. It was not good. Very few teams got impact from their first-round pick. Based on impact, Lacy should’ve been the first pick of the draft, but the Packers traded back to get him. The first two picks of the draft are left tackles that played very little for their teams, but the Packers found a left tackle in the fourth round that became a 16-game starter. In what I believe was a bad draft, the Packers found star-quality players and depth. Nick, sometimes the whining and crying wears me out.

quote:

Dean from Peoria, AZ

OK, so Byrd is gone, Houston is gone, Jones is gone. Houston and Jones were the ones the Packers we’re supposed to be high on and they didn’t seem to even be in the mix. It seems the Packers are right where they are every year, waiting for the scraps to fall. It was reported the Packers we’re supposed to be big into free agency this year. I guess our defense is so good they don’t need any experienced help.

Byrd got $28 million guaranteed, Lamarr Houston got $14.9 million guaranteed and Arthur Jones got $10 million guaranteed. I can’t justify paying that kind of money for any of those guys. Jones didn’t become a starter until this past season. I’m not sure what he did to become the next Joe Greene but, again, I consider the Ravens to be the masters of personnel, and if they’re willing to let a guy go, it sends a signal to me that I can probably find the same guy in the draft for a lot less money. As I’ve written, somebody is going to get lucky. A few of these guys will play up to the level of their contracts, but the majority of them won’t. Let’s make sure we don’t just focus on the exceptions.

quote:

Kelvin from Warwick, UK

There are no bargains in free agency, however, do any of yesterday’s moves stand out as decent business by teams?

The least pricey of the signings – Arthur Jones, for example – are the only ones that have a chance of being good business decisions. The pricey guys can’t possibly play to the level of their contracts.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...25-ece158595dc6

quote:

Justin from Orlando, FL

Why do you think some fans are so in love with the idea of big time free-agency signings?

It’s because free currency is all about addressing need. When a team signs a player in free currency, the fans scratch one more thing off the team’s to-do list. When all of the things are scratched off the to-do list, the team is going to the Super Bowl. Yeah, sure. By signing players the competition didn’t want. Amazing illogic.

quote:

Josh from Fargo, ND

Is the Ted Thompson way (draft and develop) the only way to go, or is it just one way of running a team?

Every team is a draft-and-develop team. You can’t SUSTAIN winning without committing to drafting and developing talent; free currency is too expensive of a platform for player acquisition to use it for roster building. Having to participate in free currency is an admission that you made a mistake in the draft. All teams make mistakes in the draft. The good ones make the fewest mistakes.

quote:

Justin from Mission Video, CA

So, when the Broncos win the Super Bowl this year, what are your thoughts going to be on spending your cap space? Is a Super Bowl worth it?

I don’t think a Super Bowl victory justifies what the Broncos are doing. I believe a team’s goal should be to make it into the playoffs every year because you can’t win the Super Bowl if you’re not in the playoffs. To achieve that kind of consistency, you have to avoid the win-now, spend-now approach. I need to feel hope, not hopelessness, at the start of every season. Eventually, all teams have to rebuild, but the good ones extend their playoff runs the longest and rebuild the quickest. You can’t do that by abusing the cap and getting into massive cap-repair and roster-rebuilding projects.

quote:

Jon from Fargo, ND

Vic, isn’t it the same winning the Super Bowl once every decade by drafting and developing as it is by buying your team and winning once a decade? Is the success in between the only difference?

OK, the Packers won the Super Bowl three short years ago. Are you content to not be Super Bowl contenders for the next seven years? You know what I think, Jon? I think there’s a whole lot of whining and crying going on. I’m hearing a whole lot of “I wanna win now and I wanna win always.” Well, here’s the truth about the NFL: There’s no guarantee you’ll win, but you will lose. You can count on that. Nobody wins now and always. I think we need to check ourselves. I think we need to come to balance.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Somebody make Singletary's pants drop.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

That guy's pretty small for a fullback

Isn't Peterson already a better returner than Ginn? So does this mean the end of Javier Arenas?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Steve Smith has landed in Baltimore. Will be meeting with the FO tonight and tomorrow.

Goddammit.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm okay with Steve Smith. Just draft a WR too please.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

What is there to not like about Steve Smith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7gVv7I4MA

loving Panthers...

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Steve Smith owns but I'd rather them get a stopgap center or something.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

Steve Smith has landed in Baltimore. Will be meeting with the FO tonight and tomorrow.

Goddammit.

I'm fine with Steve Smith, as long as they get him for less than Boldin. I'm still bitter about letting him walk.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I can't take anyone seriously who calls free agency "free currency"

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 14, 2014

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Butthead posted:

So I’ve been reading some Ask Vic articles on the Packers website by Vic Ketchman, and he has some really good insights about free agency. It brings a bit of humble pie to the teams that just spent big and think they’ve solved their issues.

The articles mix in non free agency related questions, and are Packer heaver, so here are the highlights I wanted to share. I apologize in advance for the length:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/My-inbox-is-insane-just-spend-baby/99fb58b2-c749-478a-98e9-5916717fc88f

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...25-ece158595dc6

A lot of this sounds like bullshit to me. That's some pretty sketchy "logic" he uses sometimes. He makes some good points, but it's mostly reads like a politician explaining why his opponents are foolish and he has all the answers.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Butthead posted:

Vic Ketchman stuff

I read that dude's Q&A column when he wrote for the Jaguars and I couldn't care less about that team. I was so excited when he was hired by the Packers. He's up there with Paul Zimmerman in terms of guys who I love hearing about football from. He does put free agency into perspective but it's super funny reading all the Packer's fans flip out because the Packers didnt trade two 1sts for Jimmy Graham.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Gerty posted:

A lot of this sounds like bullshit to me. That's some pretty sketchy "logic" he uses sometimes. He makes some good points, but it's mostly reads like a politician explaining why his opponents are foolish and he has all the answers.

Vic is pure opinionated football crotchey old man entertainment, and you shouldn't really take him as anything more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Gerty posted:

He does admit in other articles that there are exceptions where teams strike gold, such as Reggie White and Drew Brees. However, it seems he feels that more often than not teams are paying big bucks for a players past performance which is likely not to be duplicated in a new system when that player is in the mid to late stage of his career.

It is also important to note that he is not a Packers fan. Last season was his first covering the Packers, and before that he covered the Jaguars and watched them consistently fall for big free agents and get burned.

• Locked thread