Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Koesj posted:

PotM right here.

I suppose everyone and their dog can get their hands on decent-ish IMINT. In peacetime, and with a bit of a delay.

Spotted this today. 41.136348, -95.983387 in Bing/VirtualEarth maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nice E-6 spot.

It's one of the older models, though - because if you pan over to Offutt to the right you can clearly see the alert E-6 and E-4B on the tarmac within easy running distance of their crew buildings, and another two E-6s parked in and amongst the KC-135s.

Just to save people the search:

Finding the one at Paxtuent River was a bit of a chore - evidently it was off-alert in for maintenance and you have to look internally to the hangars. Finding the one at Travis AFB is easy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 14, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What do you mean older models? I thought they were all part of the last batch of 707s off the line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

What do you mean older models? I thought they were all part of the last batch of 707s off the line.

There's the E-6A and the E-6B. The airframe snapped by the civilian IMINT satellite shows distinct antennae on/near the wingtips that the E-6 has but the KC-135 doesn't. You also can't see evidence of the retracted boom which further makes me think it's either a specialized -135 variant or an E-6A. The only thing that really differentiates a E-6A from a -6B is the 'bump' on top:

Then again, the double antennae at the wingtips could just be a byproduct of a lovely-quality image.

EDIT: The original picture is neither an E-6 variant or a KC-135 - it's an RC-135 variant (of which there are too many subvariants to definitively ID):

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 14, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

EDIT: The original picture is neither an E-6 variant or a KC-135 - it's an RC-135 variant (of which there are too many subvariants to definitively ID):

I couldn't tell on my phone, but yeah that's clearly an RJ. You can even see the long nose.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Propagandalf posted:

I could not find that view at work and imgur is blocked. I thought this was some kind of comment on the type of houses on an AFB. :confused:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What's this that the NYT is saying there is speed and location info for 4 hours after the plane went missing? Is that for real and if so why did it take so long to figure that out?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

priznat posted:

What's this that the NYT is saying there is speed and location info for 4 hours after the plane went missing? Is that for real and if so why did it take so long to figure that out?

It's not real. Wild speculation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ugh the media is so loving lovely. No wonder my BS alarms were going off when I saw that reported.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

priznat posted:

Ugh the media is so loving lovely. No wonder my BS alarms were going off when I saw that reported.

Here's a better post explaining the truth. AWACS did it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&perpage=40&pagenumber=462#post426937300

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That is crazy as balls

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The whole thing has been a total poo poo show since it started. Not been handled well by any of the major players involved which leads to jumping at anything possibly. It doesn't help with the two stolen passport people on there.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

it's an RC-135 variant (of which there are too many subvariants to definitively ID):

It's got a black starboard wing, that makes it a Cobra Ball.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

priznat posted:

That is crazy as balls

quote:

3. China and Malaysia also have Awacs type systems. Since it was a Malaysian plane flying with Chinese engineers, it is safe to rationalize out that neither China nor Malaysia did this.

It is inconceivable that false flag attacks happen anywhere but America :freep:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

The whole thing has been a total poo poo show since it started. Not been handled well by any of the major players involved which leads to jumping at anything possibly. It doesn't help with the two stolen passport people on there.

Look man, we all know the USAF used AWAC to hijack the plane so they could use the passengers in their secret lizard-people ceremonies.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Akion posted:

Look man, we all know the USAF used AWAC to hijack the plane so they could use the passengers in their secret rape ceremonies.

You're making this way too easy for me.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
As a friend put it, "China shot down the jet to distract everyone from Ukraine" :tinfoil:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

As a friend put it, "China shot down the jet to distract everyone from Ukraine" :tinfoil:

Because if there's one thing the world can count on, it's Sino-Soviet/Russian cooperation.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It was North Korea who are getting antsy because no one is looking at them right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This isn't even halfway on topic, but I figure you airplane nerds can either give me the tl;dr on this or point me to a worthwhile thread. I already tried GBS (thread there was unreadable poo poo even by GBS standards) and just hitting google is getting me either into deep :tinfoil: territory or super-hardcore pilot chat.

Can someone please explain what the everloving gently caress is up with that recent Malaysian Air disappearance? It seems like the official investigation now has them making a hard left and then maybe a right (or gently caress it, maybe another left) into anywhere between the middle of the Indian Ocean, the coast of India, or hell maybe Vietnam who the gently caress knows.

Every report I read is full of "unconfirmed reports" by officials in this government or that military that seem to contradict what was said six hours ago. I've got the basic idea that whoever is running the search is probably incompetent and no one knows what the gently caress is going on, but then there's also all this poo poo out there about how maybe it was on radar, maybe it wasn't, maybe it was broadcasting to satellites, maybe it wasn't, the Chinese might have pictures of wreckage, but maybe they don't. . .

So, yeah. I have no loving clue which version of what on the major news sites to even begin to give credence to.

Lay some wisdom on me aviation nerds. What the everloving christ is going on here, and which of these "reports" are remotely viable explanations vs. which ones are just rumor mill BS being reported to rotate headlines a bit?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The AI Planes thread has spent a lot of time discussing this.

TL/DR is that nobody knows dick and news sites are spinning their wheels in bullshit.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There is good stuff in the AI Aviation thread. Basically at this point for some reason the crew turned off the transponder/other reporting electronics and it was seen on radar at some point. After that no one knows and that whole thing about engine data transponders seems pretty shady.

Possibly everyone on the plane passed out from loosing compression/hijackers/who knows. Or there was a really, really fast catastrophic failure of something.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Some friendly-fire news courtesy of the Royal Navy.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/10697895/Navy-warship-accidentally-fires-torpedo-at-nuclear-dockyard.html

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This isn't even halfway on topic, but I figure you airplane nerds can either give me the tl;dr on this or point me to a worthwhile thread.

No one knows anything, read this to entertain yourself. I read the whole thing last night (and his Fukushima Iranian Gun Nuke Cameras that exploded the reactors), it's all insane bullshit, but it's incredibly fun to read.

Edit: Related to this thread, there's this thing

Located about 10 minutes from me, anyone interested in some pictures?

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Do they really call the docks that nuke subs base out of "nuclear dockyards" or is it just dumb bullshit to make it sound scary because NUCLEAR? Because I'm assuming the second but wanted to make sure.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

What the everloving christ is going on here, and which of these "reports" are remotely viable explanations vs. which ones are just rumor mill BS being reported to rotate headlines a bit?

:lost:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Do you even need to ask? :f5:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

B-52 Park right next to Orlando International/McCoy? It's a pretty neat little park.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Insert name here posted:

Do they really call the docks that nuke subs base out of "nuclear dockyards" or is it just dumb bullshit to make it sound scary because NUCLEAR? Because I'm assuming the second but wanted to make sure.

There are a variety of errors and vagaries in that article that are common to media reporting on naval matters. While the base apparently has reactor core handling facilities, that ship was likely nowhere near them, it's very unlikely there's any nuclear material there right now, and of course reactor fuel isn't anything like a nuclear weapon lying around. Also while the torpedo is a 'missile' in the sense that it was propelled from the launcher, no one calls a normal torpedo a missile, it didn't go rocketing around, IIRC it's just compressed air squirting it from its tube and it's not like it made it more than a few feet from the ship.

Reminds me of when we had to report my nuclear submarine having an accident in an Italian harbor, the local press reworded that into a submarine having a nuclear accident in the harbor, and we ended up with crazy protesters.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

B-52 Park right next to Orlando International/McCoy? It's a pretty neat little park.

Yup. I haven't been there in 10 years or so. There's actually quite a few neat aircraft scattered around Central Florida. Off the top of my head: a Blue Angels A-4 in Research Park near UCF, RA-5C at Sanford International and an F-15 sitting alongside a road in DeBary. Plus the Warbird Museum in Kissimmee and Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland which is as close to nirvana as you can get if you like WWII and earlier aviation. Seriously, check out their collection: http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraft/

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fantasy of Flight is closing to the public in three weeks. :(

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

Fantasy of Flight is closing to the public in three weeks. :(

Shiiiiiiiiit. Guess I might be heading there too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snowdens Secret posted:

Reminds me of when we had to report my nuclear submarine having an accident in an Italian harbor, the local press reworded that into a submarine having a nuclear accident in the harbor, and we ended up with crazy protesters.

Was it bumping a tug, catching a net in the screw, or dropping a gallon tin of mustard off the gangway?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Even if you'd had it reported correctly, Italians would've protested you. They're still touchy after the cable car incident (and, completely unrelated to the military, the Amanda Knox thing) and honestly come in a little behind the Japanese in wanting "Yankees" out of their country. The ones who live around the bases and benefit directly from the money the base residents spread around the economy *love* Americans - at least, the ones who don't expect them to know perfect American English and show an effort to acclimate to a different culture.

I still remember living in Sicily from '91 to '93 and having the base go apeshit because the base commissary ran out of - I'm not making GBS threads you - *olive oil*. In Sicily. There were people who were too afraid to go outside the fence line and find a supermarket to buy olive oil in Sicily. They also ran out of milk, which is a bit dicier and understandable, but since there's a little something called "Parmalat" that might not be a perfect alternative but won't give you the shits, it also displayed how inept a lot of people are.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Blistex posted:

Was it bumping a tug, catching a net in the screw, or dropping a gallon tin of mustard off the gangway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hartford_grounding#Environmental_impact

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

No one knows anything, read this to entertain yourself. I read the whole thing last night (and his Fukushima Iranian Gun Nuke Cameras that exploded the reactors), it's all insane bullshit, but it's incredibly fun to read.

In the same vein:

Point Mugu Missile Park, just off the PCH.

I _should_ have some pictures of this.... somewhere. :ohdear:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Yup. I haven't been there in 10 years or so. There's actually quite a few neat aircraft scattered around Central Florida. Off the top of my head: a Blue Angels A-4 in Research Park near UCF, RA-5C at Sanford International and an F-15 sitting alongside a road in DeBary. Plus the Warbird Museum in Kissimmee and Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland which is as close to nirvana as you can get if you like WWII and earlier aviation. Seriously, check out their collection: http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraft/

There's the Vietnam Museum out on by UCF, it's on Tanner Road. Has a Huey and a Phantom and a couple of APCs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Propagandalf posted:

What in the world is that?

spankmeister posted:

In the same vein:

Point Mugu Missile Park, just off the PCH.

I live like 20 minutes away from there. I should drive by there tomorrow and take some pics. On a related note, I'll have to take a better camera with me to this years Camarillo Airshow.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

What in the world is that?

Remember that missing airliner. . . . . ? :tinfoil:

some airforce airplane full of antennas and poo poo flying over a burb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize the wing was black and brown. I thought it was missing, partially underneath something.