Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Turtlicious posted:

Isn't this chat more inline with the poke mega thread?

Welcome to the LP forums, We'll go offtopic at the drop of a hat and will continue until a Mod or Admin tells us to stop (And some people go on anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Siegkrow posted:

Welcome to the LP forums, We'll go offtopic at the drop of a hat and will continue until a Mod or Admin tells us to stop (And some people go on anyway).

This is true. Come to think of it Choro, have you ever used a skitty in any playthroughs?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Silegna posted:

This is true. Come to think of it Choro, have you ever used a skitty in any playthroughs?

No.

Update will probably be sometime this week, got some life things going on.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#17. Hugh Talks

Got our badge, let's get out of here.

and get them into shape!"

Choro Notes: Macho Brace halves the holders' speed but doubles their EV gain. It's mostly there for competitive training.

That's back in town! At the station!

Choro Notes: All he has is a single Drilbur.

Choro Notes: Sludge Bomb is 25 points stronger than Sludge and has the same accuracy and chance of inflicting poison. The only way it's weaker is it only has 10 max PP to Sludge's 20. It's basically a strict upgrade.

Music: Black/White - The Dreamyard

Choro Notes: You can barely see him, but there is a Pokémon Breeder at the top of the screen here. He is an rear end in a top hat and I hate him. Since they can be refought each time you enter an area, he caught me twice and all he really did was spam Roost with his Tranquill. It was loving terrible.

Choro Notes: Regardless of whether you game sync'd or not, the forest's illusion here is dispelled.

There's nothing out here.

Coo' coo'.

Evolves into Linoone or somethin' don't it?

Yo if anyone tricks me I'll break their face.

Choro Notes: This TM is unobtainable in Black/White. It was meant to be an event-type thing but it never panned out so you just get it here. Snarl is a special Dark-type move that hits opponents and lowers their Sp.Atk by one stage. As the game describes: "The user yells as if it's ranting about something, which lowers the Sp. Atk stat of opposing Pokémon."

and tricked people and Pokémon."

Even that one about Elesa? That one just sounds like bullshit. You know, that one.

. . . eh, seen it done better.

- - -

quote:

: Who wants to know?

???: . . .

: Yeah, this your boy Vinny, what up?

???: Wow, so you're a boy, Vinny?

: . . . What did you think I was?!

???: It's a little annoying that we can't see each other, right? Just so you know . . . I'm a girl.

: Yeah. I can tell. You know, from your voice.

???: Tee hee.

???: . . . Oops! My colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye.

. . . weird.

- - -

I heard the view from here is . . . good.

Offff course it is. Offffff course.

- - -

WHY CAN NOTHING GO RIGHT FOR ME TODAY?

"We talked it over, and we're gonna go with . . . "

loving REALLY Hugh?

Nooooo. He does not speak for me.

Ughghhhhhh. STOP PICKING FIGHTS.

Music: Battle! Team Plasma (B2/W2)

Choro Notes: Congrats, you just got to see why Watchogs are annoying.

Choro Notes: Really, either of these moves were acceptable. Confuse Ray seems like it could have more applications, though.

Choro Notes: Fling, however, is not very useful. Its power is based on what the user is holding, but you lose that item when it's used.

"But you know, without the drill castle!"

Why would you brag about that?

YOU STOLE GARBAGE. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS. Let's go, Gluu, before he makes more of a fool of himself.

Wow you are a prick.

I really don't—

Why does everyone tell me everything?

Music: Black & White - Unwavering Emotions

THAT WASN'T AN INVITATION.

It had been given to her as a present."

You're STILL a kid.

Hugh, I mean this from the bottom of my heart. I want you to take a long walk off a short pier. It's good for your legs, I swear.

No.

No.

Nooooooooo.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2014

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Where are you finding those background images? What even is that? :stare:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Someone wrote 'I'm about to unleash my rage,' turned it over in his mind, and seriously thought it would make a good catchphrase.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

Someone wrote 'I'm about to unleash my rage,' turned it over in his mind, and seriously thought it would make a good catchphrase.

Nahm that's just Hugh. Literally everyone in the game treats him as a big spaz, so yeah the things he says are gonna be pretty..special!

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Aesculus posted:

Where are you finding those background images? What even is that? :stare:

Its the Internet

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I trained my garbage for two years and it's not even close to evolving. :downs:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
The breeder's "Staravia?" Isn't it a Tranquill?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering Hugh's sister looks five already, I'm sure she would barely remember getting a Purrloin as a gift. Therefore, just catch another one, it's not like the things are rare. Or even better, catch a Pokemon that isn't crap. It's like replacing the dead goldfish with a new one without the kid finding out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I actually really love this song. Personally, I think it's the best regular "evil team" grunt music until Team Flare's music in X/Y.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Crosspeice posted:

Or even better, catch a Pokemon that isn't crap.

You take that back :argh:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This is the second-best line in the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

You take that back :argh:

Purrloin is crap, looks alright. Liepard is gimmickly useful, but looks pretty cool. Better than choosing Patrat I suppose.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So the whole purrloin subplot is the reason I can't 100% hate Hugh. It makes him more amusing than irritating, but that's just my opinion.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Considering Hugh's sister looks five already, I'm sure she would barely remember getting a Purrloin as a gift. Therefore, just catch another one, it's not like the things are rare. Or even better, catch a Pokemon that isn't crap. It's like replacing the dead goldfish with a new one without the kid finding out.

What would be the fish equivalent of a better Pokemon? A shark?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Darth TNT posted:

What would be the fish equivalent of a better Pokemon? A shark?

The bad news is that your Goldeen died. The good news is that we got you a Sharpedo. And a death and dismemberment insurance policy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ddegenha posted:

The bad news is that your Goldeen died. The good news is that we got you a Sharpedo. And a death and dismemberment insurance policy.
Garchomp counts a shark, right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SirPhoebos posted:

So the whole purrloin subplot is the reason I can't 100% hate Hugh. It makes him more amusing than irritating, but that's just my opinion.

I found that it made him even more annoying. Any time he meets any member of Team Plasma, he goes: "MY SISTER'S CAT WAS STOLEN 2 YEARS AGO! DID YOU STEAL IT!? I'M ANGRY!"
I kind of wish that either A: when the Shadow Triad guy reveals he has the cat (for whatever reason), he's just like: "Yeah. I stole the cat. What'cha gonna do about it, punk? It listens to me now, and nothing's gonna change that." Or B: He just never finds the thing in the first place, because really, why on earth did one of those crazy ninja guys just happen to have the thing?

e: Spoiler'd out the stuff.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Triad guy also said "Oh sure have it, I don't care about it. I did not even use it in battle."

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hey, do you guys think maybe we could try not spoiling plot stuff? I mean, yeah, Hugh and his whole subplot are stupid, but that's no reason to spoil it out of hand.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Garchomp counts a shark, right?

Garchomp is indeed a shark. It is Half Hammerhead shark, half jet-plane. Also it has legs because you are never safe from sharks.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Chorocojo posted:

Even that one about Elesa? That one just sounds like bullshit. You know, that one.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Oh the reactions people will have when we finally see it... :allears:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The breeder's "Staravia?" Isn't it a Tranquill?

Yes. It is. I wrote this at 3am, oops!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nahm that's just Hugh. Literally everyone in the game treats him as a big spaz, so yeah the things he says are gonna be pretty..special!

Can an anime watch too much anime?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

TwoPair posted:

Can an anime watch too much anime?

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Anyway, I continue to be apathetic towards Hugh. I don't hate him, and I don't find him that memorable either.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is the greatest anime. :colbert:

mainly because the whole show is just so loving dumb

edit:

:allears:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 15, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Anyway, I continue to be apathetic towards Hugh. I don't hate him, and I don't find him that memorable either.
That's my feeling as well. Hugh's kind of an amalgamation of a few previous rivals in the series (he's got Gary and Silver's attitude coupled with Barry/Jorge's spazzy personality), but he doesn't build upon those elements and make his own character. As a result, Hugh's just kind of...there. He's further hampered by following up Cheren and Bianca, who I consider two of the better rival characters in the series. In short, Hugh had the deck stacked against him from the start and doesn't do much to overcome the odds, causing a mix of "Uuggghhh" and "Meh" reactions from the audience.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hugh is so amazingly dumb, which is why I couldn't hate him. I just spent the whole time cracking up at his rage-driven insanity. Also his hair is a Qwilfish. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AradoBalanga posted:

That's my feeling as well. Hugh's kind of an amalgamation of a few previous rivals in the series (he's got Gary and Silver's attitude coupled with Barry/Jorge's spazzy personality), but he doesn't build upon those elements and make his own character. As a result, Hugh's just kind of...there. He's further hampered by following up Cheren and Bianca, who I consider two of the better rival characters in the series. In short, Hugh had the deck stacked against him from the start and doesn't do much to overcome the odds, causing a mix of "Uuggghhh" and "Meh" reactions from the audience.

Hugh's not even a rival really, he's just this guy who ropes you into his Team Plasma revengequest at every opportunity.

I'm just not sure what point he serves. I mean Team Plasma are pretty obviously a bunch of dicks, you don't need this guy screaming about a single stolen critter at every location in the game to remind you of this fact.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Hugh's not even a rival really, he's just this guy who ropes you into his Team Plasma revengequest at every opportunity.

I'm just not sure what point he serves. I mean Team Plasma are pretty obviously a bunch of dicks, you don't need this guy screaming about a single stolen critter at every location in the game to remind you of this fact.
Exactly, Hugh fails at even being the rival character, hence why I said he's just "there". All previous rivals have tried to either surpass the player character in some way or at least pose a challenge to the player (yes, even Bianca for some time). Hugh? He's such a spaz that you don't know what he's supposed to be: "Ah, he's going to be the rival...no wait, he's got his own thing happening...no wait, he's got a grudge against Team Plasma...no wait..." It's like the staff wanted to do several different things with Hugh, but then took the basic outlines and shoved them into a single character without refining them so they worked cohesively. What you're left with is probably one of the worst things you can do with character design: a character so pointless that removing them from the game has little to no impact on the narrative as a whole.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you're forgetting gen 3.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you're forgetting gen 3.

Wally only shows up, what, three times? And one of those isn't even a battle?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ablative posted:

Wally only shows up, what, three times? And one of those isn't even a battle?

Not Wally, the other one. :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

May/Brendan? You face them all of two(Three if playing Emerald) times. You don't even SEE the final evolution of their starter. I don't even think they MATTER to the plot, either May/Brendan OR Wally.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Strange Quark posted:

May/Brendan only shows up, what, three times? And none of those have any real significance? :v:

Gen 3's issue was that they didn't think there was much need to build up a rival for your character. They were wrong.

edit: beaten like a Purrloin attacking a Garchomp.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They start their journey, same as you, but see that you completely outclass them and want to instead follow in their father's footsteps. Brendan considers getting all the badges, but we never find out if he does, whereas May considers catching every Pokemon. It's Wally that sees the kinda trainer you are and wishes to surpass you and does a fine attempt, I love facing him in Victory Road.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silegna posted:

May/Brendan? You face them all of two(Three if playing Emerald) times. You don't even SEE the final evolution of their starter. I don't even think they MATTER to the plot, either May/Brendan OR Wally.

KataraniSword posted:

May/Brendan only shows up, what, three times? And none of those have any real significance? :v:

Yeah, I was using them as the prime example of inconsequential characters. V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, I was using them as the prime example of inconsequential characters. V:shobon:V

Inconsequential? Try pretty much nonexistent. Does anyone actually REMEMBER Wally when they enter Victory Road?

• Locked thread