Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A Nation of Refugees

Maidar Khan brought terror to the Middle East on a scale never before seen. As Baghdad and Nishapur burned, traders of all religions and cultures fled. Nobles and clergymen followed, some disappearing without warning. While many moved West, a considerable portion turned to the sea. The Majapahit Empire in Indonesia was the first to greet the refugees, but their hospitality strained under the massive wave of immigrants. The travelers were forced to live in ghettos, even as their numbers swelled above of the native population is some settlements. Even though more trade is flowing into Indonesia than ever, cultural and religious tensions threaten to rip the empire apart. Can Majapahit survive as a mutli-ethnic, multi-religious empire, or will it devolve into a thousand feuding states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Reposting from earlier:

A prophecy of apocalypse, seen by a friar in a Nestorian monastery in Socotra, predicted the imminent doom of the island under a great crescent wave, out of which a new Ark sailed unopposed to rich lands in the east. While the vision was dismissed as heresy by the ruling elite, several convoys of merchant vessels carrying pilgrims departed the island over the next few years, landing Nestorian minorities in religious enclaves as far east as Aden, where they were eventually assimilated into the general population, failing to achieve much in the way of religious conversion. They did, however, bring with them knowledge from the West, including detailed maps of Arabia and construction techniques that soon led to establishment of stronger permanent fortifications across the Malay peninsula, and established strong mercantile ties between several minor ports in the region. (Bump up the base tax in a few coastal provinces, give some/all of them a temporary boost to monarch points, and let's see if they manage to do anything with it.)

I think SE Asia is pretty boring in EU4 because the mainland has such terrible base tax value, low-value trade goods and huge tech penalties that it's next to impossible for the AI to do anything with it, short of lucky inheritances, so it tends to stay more or less static the whole game, minus the occasional encroachment by Borneo or the Europeans to seize the area around Malacca. I don't think rearranging the borders will do much to make them more interesting, but giving them the ability to grow decent economies might lead to one of them actually getting somewhere.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Once again, thanks to everyone who submitted their proposals. As I mentioned, I wanted to focus on Southeast Asia itself for the scenarios, rather than Polynesia or Oceania. That said, the popularity of suggestions involving those areas means that I will be looking at ways to make at least a couple places more interesting than in vanilla EU4. One more note as well: there were a few suggestions of Vietnamese invasion of China, which I like as an idea, but I decided to put it off until China-related voting.

Here are the scenarios to vote on. As before, please indicate a vote for either Scenario One or Scenario Two.

Scenario One:

By the middle of the 14th century, the Javanese Empire of Majapahit had established itself as the preeminent power in the region. With not only Java but also large portions of Sumatra and Borneo under Javanese control and the Muslim sultanates of Brunei and Aceh offering tribute to the empire, Majapahit's warrior queen turned her eye north, toward the declining Khmer Empire. Establishing alliances with the Kingdom of Champa and the Thais of Sukhothai, the queen assembled a massive army and navy for the subjugation of Angkor.

The expedition was a success, leading to the final destruction of the Khmer Empire and its division into several new tributary states for Majapahit. With Javanese support, the Kingdom of Sukhothai defeated and subjugated its upstart rivals in Ayutthaya, while Champa benefitted directly from the fall of the Khmer.

Majapahit's control over the peninsula only lasted a generation, however, as the empire was increasingly unable to project force so far from home. With the withdrawal of Javanese power, their client kings were left in tenuous positions, and it wasn't long before turmoil engulfed the region. Order was eventually restored by an unlikely candidate – a Lao prince with blood ties to the deposed Khmer royal line – who establish the Kingdom of Lan Xang and united not only his homeland but also the heartland of the former Khmer Empire.

Now it is Lan Xang that dominates the peninsula, with Sukhothai reduced a rump tributary. Further south, weakened Majapahit desperately attempts to hold on to the remnants of their empire against incursions by the Muslim sultanates and their liberated neighbours in Sunda.

(This scenario is broadly based on Patter Song's suggestion, and involves a greater Hindu presence in Indonesia as well as an ascendent Laotian kingdom dominating the central peninsula.)

Scenario Two:

By the middle of the 14th century, the Javanese Empire of Majapahit had established itself as the preeminent power in the region. With not only most of Java but also portions of Sumatra and Borneo under Javanese control, Majapahit's warrior king turned his eye north, toward the declining Khmer Empire. Establishing an alliance with the Kingdom of Champa, the king assembled a massive army and navy for the subjugation of Angkor.

The expedition was a disaster, leading to a humiliating defeat for the mismanaged armies. The Javanese king barely escaped with his life, returning to a severely weakened kingdom. By the end of his life, Majapahit was reduced to its core territories on Java, its powerful empire nothing but a distant memory. Sukhothai was likewise devastated, falling to their rivals in Ayutthaya soon afterwards, while only Champa escaped relatively unscathed.

The Khmer, on the other hand, were soon ascendent once again under the rule of a newly-proclaimed chakravartin. Further attacks by the new Thai power in Ayutthaya were repelled, and the two kingdoms grew in tandem, quickly becoming the two dominant powers in the region.

The peninsula is now dominated by these two rival powers and their various minor vassal states, each threatened not only by each other but also by various external powers – the Burmese peoples to the west and the Cham and Vietnamese to the east. Further south, the Muslim Malay sultans are currently ascendent while the Hindu states left alone in the wake of Majapahit's collapse cling dearly to life.

(This scenario is basically just inspired by Lynneth's suggestion of a resurgent Khmer Empire, along with a fairly historical Ayutthaya. It involves those two as the major powers in the peninsula, while Indonesia is more split up, but inclined toward historical Muslim domination.)

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 17, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Scenario One!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Scenario One seems pretty cool. More Hindus!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Scenario One.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Scenario One, a strong Hindu presence in Indochina sounds interesting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scenario .

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Scenario Two

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Scenario One

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Scenario one

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Scenario one

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Scenario two.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Scenario Two.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012
Another vote for Scenario 2.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Scenario 2.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Scenario One sounds pretty interesting. Mostly because I like the idea of a Laotian state that can actually hold its own.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Good choices. I'm going to vote for scenario two, because the resurgent Khmer seems to be one of the more interesting ideas to me. Hope they do reasonably well. From the descriptions, it seems to have more potentially powerful states than scenario 1, and I kind of like the idea of a world of moderately powerful lands without the kind of blob empire we seem to be trying to avoid ourselves.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
Scenario One.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Scenario Two. What else could I vote for. :v:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Scenario One

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Also Ryukyu is where Karate comes from and was featured in what is by far the best Orphanage simulator/beat em up to date, which means a lot of folks have a soft spot in they hearts for it.

Also they have a kickass flag. Look at this thing:

How could you not want that thing flyin' everywhere?

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Scenario 1

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Scenario One

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
Scenario Two.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also Ryukyu is where Karate comes from and was featured in what is by far the best Orphanage simulator/beat em up to date, which means a lot of folks have a soft spot in they hearts for it.

Also they have a kickass flag. Look at this thing:

How could you not want that thing flyin' everywhere?

Sold. Two.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait what. Also 2.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Neither scenario has anything to do with Ryukyu. One.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Scenario 2.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Scenario One seems most fun.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Scenario one once again.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
Scenario One

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Scenario 1

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Senario 2

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Scenario 1

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Two sounds interesting.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

There's only one choice for me