Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Germany's pretty great, yeah. I also know a lot of Belgian friends of mine who are hyped for this. We also like Civilization and fantasy games like The Elder Scrolls series and so on, so for some reason the Benelux and Germany are all up in this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this: http://www.gog.com/news/preorder_offer_update_age_of_wonders_3

In a nutshell, because European countries get screwed by the regional price differences, GoG is giving those countries store credit to make up for it if you pre-order the game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this: http://www.gog.com/news/preorder_offer_update_age_of_wonders_3

In a nutshell, because European countries get screwed by the regional price differences, GoG is giving those countries store credit to make up for it if you pre-order the game.

Yes, this is great! It always irritated me that a lot of companies turn $59 into €59. Just completely shafts us.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New 20 min. video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Su5M7FKNE

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

We sent it out to a bunch of youtubers, but only Germans and some Poles have posted stuff so far. Not sure why, but Germans just love the game, the pre-order was number one strategy game on German amazon at one point. Anyways, people on our forums have been dumping all the videos they can find showing gameplay footage into this thread:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/aow3-preview-videos/

Why aren't your fellow Dutchmen getting free games :colbert:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

Why aren't your fellow Dutchmen getting free games :colbert:

I'm not Dutch :colbert:

You kinda missed the boat on that one, we gave the beta testers free copies and for whatever reason they decided to hold a draw and give out free copies to members of the public, it's finished now though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Now I want to make a draconian theocrat and have nothing but flying units everywhere.

Do races get tier 4 units as well, or are they just limited to classes?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Added the Theocrat class page to the 2nd post.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Only classes get T4s at the moment, though I guess that might change in an expansion.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 14, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Are hero spells a huge part of heroes, or could I have a hero with little to no spells that wrecks poo poo on the front lines of the battlefield? Haven't noticed that from the gameplay videos.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There are 3 ways you can develop a hero:

1) You can focus on casting points and spells
2) You can focus on personal upgrades (increase hit points, damage, or give the hero personal abilities like teleport or heal)
3) You can focus on army boosting, so you give the hero upgrades that buff the whole stack the hero is in (these are limited so only one hero can buff a stack at a time)

You can go in all 3 areas or just focus on one, it's up to you. Note that Leader heroes cannot focus on casting points/skills, since they get theirs from research.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gerblyn posted:

Only races get T4s at the moment, though I guess that might change in an expansion.

You mean classes, right? (Shrine of Smiting, Eldritch Horror, etc.)

e: Basically what I want to know is if we'll see more Karagh in our future.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 14, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Arrrthritis posted:

You mean classes, right? (Shrine of Smiting, Eldritch Horror, etc.)

Yes, sorry! Edited my post :)

Edit: Karagh are like T4 goblins in AoW:SM, right? I genuinely don't know, we're all focused on actually finishing the game yet, I don't believe there are any real concrete plans for what will appear in the expansions.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 14, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Gerblyn posted:

Yes, sorry! Edited my post :)

Edit: Karagh are like T4 goblins in AoW:SM, right? I genuinely don't know, we're all focused on actually finishing the game yet, I don't believe there are any real concrete plans for what will appear in the expansions.

And in AoW1. Karaghs were the only T4 land melee unit worth a drat.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh my god the knockbacks and flying bodies. :allears: Fun video.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fledgling Gulps posted:

And in AoW1. Karaghs were the only T4 land melee unit worth a drat.

I remember runemasters being pretty good in a fight, and I always liked fast units like knights.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Yeah, Karagh were some mobile-as-gently caress heavy hitters that the goblins got, and also some of the best astrophysicists in the realm. First-born and reaper could hold their own, but Karagh were mobile on top of all of that.

I wouldn't be too disappointed/surprised if they were put on the back burner, though. You guys have had your work cut out for you since the whole class system was announced.

Looking forward to the Warlord vid!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Which dev donated their face for the Mark the Heretic spell?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Rabhadh posted:

Which dev donated their face for the Mark the Heretic spell?

These are the things we must know!

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, Karagh were some mobile-as-gently caress heavy hitters that the goblins got, and also some of the best astrophysicists in the realm. First-born and reaper could hold their own, but Karagh were mobile on top of all of that.

I wouldn't be too disappointed/surprised if they were put on the back burner, though. You guys have had your work cut out for you since the whole class system was announced.

Looking forward to the Warlord vid!

I loved how much extra silly dialogue was in shadow magic.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So it looks like spells are separated out into more tiers now? Used to be just 4, but here it looks like they go up to at least 6.

And also I don't remember this being the case before, but it looks like you get xp now for just attacking something? Not an all-or-nothing from the killing blow. I know there are now 4 tiers of xp for regular units too, though the bonuses from those tiers look relatively smaller than from previous games.

Something also feels really funny about that Eldritch Horror getting a defensive bonus for being behind the wall. Gives a pretty hilarious mental image if nothing else.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
According to my girlfriend, she roughly modeled the Mark The Heretic face off something she found on GIS, she didn't model it off of me :(

There are 7 tiers of spells, though T7 is usually so powerful it's a "lol I win!" button. For example, the Theocrat's Armageddon spell negates all negative morale, gives all their units strong will (immune to spirit damage and effects) and gives all of their enemies 80% spirit weakness, which boosts the damage they can do hugely.

Units get XP from using combat abilities and (for heroes) casting spells as well as killing things now. We were trying to move away from users having to mess around with who kills what when leveling units.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Has anyone noticed that the Shrine of Smiting's story seems to be worshiping 4chan?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tomn posted:

Has anyone noticed that the Shrine of Smiting's story seems to be worshiping 4chan?

I didn't read the fluff, but I got the distinct feeling it's an Ark of the Covenant deal with the aoe.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Tomn posted:

Possible, also possible that they're talking about the life wizard Anon from 2.

One thing that hit me today: I'm surprised the goblin theocrat doesn't have more of a Baldwin IV vibe going on with it. Leprosy being considered a tremendous blessing in goblin society and all.

e: oh god, it's me, I'm the age of wonders sperg.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I remember why I don't read the posts on video game specific forums. Goddamn there are a lot of whiny 'This doesn't have minor feature x, PREORDER CANCELLED!' babies in that thread that gathered up lps.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

DrManiac posted:

I remember why I don't read the posts on video game specific forums. Goddamn there are a lot of whiny 'This doesn't have minor feature x, PREORDER CANCELLED!' babies in that thread that gathered up lps.

The official forums have a lot of weird people as well. There's one guy who repeats in every single thread about character creation that he wants to be able to create his avatar (some sort of Draconic Leonardo di Caprio) in-game.

And every single time he specifically mentions he needs to be draconic, and needs to look like Leonardo. Why? gently caress if I know.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Just wanted to say part of the reason Im so hyped for the game is this guy doing the voiceovers, he's really sold it for me.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Overminty posted:

Just wanted to say part of the reason Im so hyped for the game is this guy doing the voiceovers, he's really sold it for me.

Who can forget that memorable "knife fight in a cupboard" comment

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How many copies of AoW3 do I need to buy before Triumph can make another Overlord game/port Dark Legend to PC. :colbert:

I'm buying it anyway, but this is also important.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In case anyone's interested, one of the beta testers has made an LP of a multiplayer RMG game:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/lets-play/

BloodyBattleBrain is one of the most fanatical testers we have, he's logged nearly 300 hours into the game so far so he really does know his stuff. I haven't had a chance to watch much of it yet, but he seemed to be doing a good job of explaining everything as he went.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

In case anyone's interested, one of the beta testers has made an LP of a multiplayer RMG game:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/lets-play/

BloodyBattleBrain is one of the most fanatical testers we have, he's logged nearly 300 hours into the game so far so he really does know his stuff. I haven't had a chance to watch much of it yet, but he seemed to be doing a good job of explaining everything as he went.

1 minute and 20 seconds in: "Knife fight in a cupboard".

I love you guys.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Hey Gerblyn. I've seen a number of videos on Youtube but none on Twitch.tv. You wouldn't happen to be looking for live streamers?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Doink9731 posted:

Hey Gerblyn. I've seen a number of videos on Youtube but none on Twitch.tv. You wouldn't happen to be looking for live streamers?

This stream by quill18 is pretty good. It's been a few hours of straight gameplay and the host isn't annoying or really bad at the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/quill18

[e] And apparently Warlock 2 is coming out a week after AOW 3. I'm glad the semester is almost over.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 15, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

From that LP...

Looks like Simultaneous multiplayer made it in. Someone was mentioning it might not make the initial release? But I guess they were wrong.

Also looks like they managed to get the checkbox to allow or disallow heroes from casting spells in auto combat! Awesome.

I also have to say, the interface in general just looks fantastic. Tooltips all have tons of useful info, and the Tome of Wonders has a search and everything.

The leader customization looks better than a lot of MMOs I've played. I didn't realize you also get a mount slot for your heroes too, that's really great.

Deltasquid posted:

1 minute and 20 seconds in: "Knife fight in a cupboard".

I think they should change a map/mission name to this now just as a running gag.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think they should change a map/mission name to this now just as a running gag.

Seriously that's the best quote from the archdruid video and it works so well

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm a bit more preferential to "That should go down like a house on fire", myself.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Doink9731 posted:

That's all handled by:

http://www.evolve-pr.com/

They were giving away copies to streamers via twitter last week, but I'm afraid you might have missed the boat.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gerblyn, on a rather unrelated note, who makes those archdruid/theocrat videos and so on? Is he Dutch? His accent bothers me because I can't quite figure out where it's from. :v:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Sounds pretty english to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Gerblyn, on a rather unrelated note, who makes those archdruid/theocrat videos and so on? Is he Dutch? His accent bothers me because I can't quite figure out where it's from. :v:

Somewhere in England I think, he sounds northern to me but we have so many accents over here that it's hard to pinpoint people.

I do enjoy his commentary on the videos though, nice speaking cadence makes it easy to follow.

• Locked thread