Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Alchenar posted:

They didn't ever take on military ships if they could possibly help it. They attacked merchants. Who don't have cannon.

Yeah, pirates' main tactic of the time was boarding merchant ships, who usually had small crews of less than 20 people while pirates would fill their little sloops with men; merchants would surrender on seeing a fast sloop filled with 60 pirates all armed to the teeth ready to board.

It really was insane of Flint to attack the man-o-war. The spanish navy sailors would be better trained in gunnery than their pirate counterparts (most pirates came from the merchant marines, not royal navy). A fighting ship would have enough crew to man the guns and sail the ship during a fight, so thinking about this 100-gun ship, 12 men to a gun, so if they had crew for one side of 50 guns that would run from side to side, they would still have 600 men just on the guns, plus the sailors sailing, plus marines, the ship could have anywhere from 800 to well over a thousand men on it, which would make boarding suicide. The Walrus and the Ranger would've have to had world-class gun crews firing like mad in the double raking, or gotten lucky shots on masts or the rudder like other goons mentioned, just insane. Amazing scene for the show, got such a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when those ports opened.

VDay posted:

Man what a brutal finale all around. Besides the money shot of the man 'o war's guns opening up, I really liked the destruction montage during its volleys, and how long it focused on just the fact that the ship was being torn to shreds. It really drove home how absolutely loving terrifying it would be to face that, and how hopeless their situation suddenly became. Can't wait for season 2, although it was sad to see the quartermaster (inevitably) go out like he did by Flint's hand :( Speaking of assholes, let's not forget that Vane took over the fort that's guarding the entire island and forced his way into the council under threat of blowing up literally everyone's poo poo.

I'm curious to see if my Max = (history spoiler) Mary Read guess from earlier in the season comes true during season 2. They've all but set up the pseudo love triangle between her, Jack, and Anne, and Jack is now separated from Vane and is presumably going to need good men for his new crew. To be fair I have no idea how much of that is actual history, how much is made up/romanticized, and how much of it, if any, the show is going to portray.

drat cliffhanger ending making us wait a year to find out what happens :argh: At least season 2's already guaranteed and we don't have to have any cancellation worries while we wait.

I think you're right about Max, since they're using these actual historical people and it's known that Rackham sailed with Anne Bonny and Mary Read. Also about Billy, I don't think he's dead either because of the Treasure Island prequel thing they're going for, and I think we'll find him as been "rescued" by the Scarborough or in jail by them.

For those wanting to know more about the general history of piracy during this time period, you may want to check out Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEG2R2 . It's a pretty good general history, not as in-depth as I would've preferred but the problem is that pirates in general did not keep logs or write about their experiences even if they weren't executed young by hanging, most of the information on pirates during that time came from others who interacted with them, like merchants who were captured, or the navy captains who fought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

^Best moment of the series.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next though. I can't really see the pirates having any better luck facing the soldiers on land, in fact that might be even harder for them.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Thanks for the gif, that was a fantastic scene to a great episode. They really picked it up near the end for this series. All this talk on naval tactics is pretty interesting to me, does anyone know of a decent book on the subject?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I think you're right about Max, since they're using these actual historical people and it's known that Rackham sailed with Anne Bonny and Mary Read. Also about Billy, I don't think he's dead either because of the Treasure Island prequel thing they're going for, and I think we'll find him as been "rescued" by the Scarborough or in jail by them.

Concerning Max, I could see the Mary Read coming to bear, but honestly I think she is going to be John Silver's wife. In Treasure Island he was married to a woman of African decent that runs a hotel/brothel for him so it kind of lines up. Who knows though, it wouldn't take much to introduce another character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CODChimera posted:

^Best moment of the series.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next though. I can't really see the pirates having any better luck facing the soldiers on land, in fact that might be even harder for them.

It'll be better odds then they ever had versus that man-o-war on sea.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

How the hell are they planning on getting the the gold off the island with no goddamn ship!!!! Honestly it wasn't so much a cliff-hanger for me more of a "we are completely hosed but drat look how close we came" type of ending :( I mean if the man o' war hadn't been there they would have been able to get the gold no problem

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Thanks for the gif, that was a fantastic scene to a great episode. They really picked it up near the end for this series. All this talk on naval tactics is pretty interesting to me, does anyone know of a decent book on the subject?

I don't know any non-fiction offhand, but if you're looking for more swashbuckling, ship combat, and politics, the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian is really, really good.

It takes place almost a hundred years after Black Sails, and it's heavy with early 19th century naval jargon, but once you get into it you'll blow through the entire series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wachepti posted:

How the hell are they planning on getting the the gold off the island with no goddamn ship!!!! Honestly it wasn't so much a cliff-hanger for me more of a "we are completely hosed but drat look how close we came" type of ending :( I mean if the man o' war hadn't been there they would have been able to get the gold no problem

I'm like 90% sure episode 1 of season 2 will end with them sailing away on their newly hijacked man-o-war. :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wachepti posted:

Bear in mind that the basic plot of Treasure Island is to find and dig up hidden buried treasure.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This should be the new :tviv:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

It'll be better odds then they ever had versus that man-o-war on sea.

There's going to be a ton of soldiers around though. And all Flint has is a few demoralized men...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CODChimera posted:

There's going to be a ton of soldiers around though. And all Flint has is a few demoralized men...

If they're not planning on either stealing the man-o-war or ambushing the troops on the beach then I have no earthly clue to why they're keeping Flint and Silver alive.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Wachepti posted:

Um that's why it's called Treasure Island?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CODChimera posted:

A beach full of gold might raise morale.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Fewer pirates means larger shares for the survivors! Though whatever's keeping those shipwrecked Spanish sailors loyal might also be put into question.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

the posted:

Um that's why it's called Treasure Island?

I wish this was just a show about pirates without the whole Treasure Island thing hanging over everything :sigh:

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

If they're not planning on either stealing the man-o-war or ambushing the troops on the beach then I have no earthly clue to why they're keeping Flint and Silver alive.

Well if a majority of the crew of the manowar is on the beach to help recover the gold, they could row out to it and hijack the ship and start shelling the coast. Maybe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wachepti posted:

I wish this was just a show about pirates without the whole Treasure Island thing hanging over everything :sigh:

Spartacus wasn't any less awesome for knowing that he doesn't end up overthrowing the Republic.

The treasure ends up buried on an island. Only two characters end up knowing where it's buried. The pirates don't get their kingdom and free land, in fact the golden age of piracy is about to come to a crashing halt.

I don't mind knowing how the story ends when what matters is the journey to that ending.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

PlushCow posted:

Yeah, pirates' main tactic of the time was boarding merchant ships, who usually had small crews of less than 20 people while pirates would fill their little sloops with men; merchants would surrender on seeing a fast sloop filled with 60 pirates all armed to the teeth ready to board.

It really was insane of Flint to attack the man-o-war. The spanish navy sailors would be better trained in gunnery than their pirate counterparts (most pirates came from the merchant marines, not royal navy). A fighting ship would have enough crew to man the guns and sail the ship during a fight, so thinking about this 100-gun ship, 12 men to a gun, so if they had crew for one side of 50 guns that would run from side to side, they would still have 600 men just on the guns, plus the sailors sailing, plus marines, the ship could have anywhere from 800 to well over a thousand men on it, which would make boarding suicide. The Walrus and the Ranger would've have to had world-class gun crews firing like mad in the double raking, or gotten lucky shots on masts or the rudder like other goons mentioned, just insane. Amazing scene for the show, got such a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when those ports opened.
Yep that was utterly insane since that ship of the line probably had more than twice as much firepower as both the Ranger and the Ranger combined in each broadside since such large ships usually had heavy as gently caress guns on the lower deck, I quite like it that they show what happened when pirates go up against real warships so that people in the audience will understand in later seasons why pirates are cautious as gently caress when faced with man-o-wars .

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I'm still hoping Max doesn't become Mary Read just because I think the supposedly historical story of Anne having a crush on Mary while she thinks that Mary's a guy is way cooler than anything they could do with Max.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I can't remember if this was explained earlier in the season or not, but why did the Spanish have all that gold doing laps in the ocean where a storm can wreck it all, instead of on land?

Was the ship trying to reach Spain or just chilling?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sheizerbrick posted:

I can't remember if this was explained earlier in the season or not, but why did the Spanish have all that gold doing laps in the ocean where a storm can wreck it all, instead of on land?

I imagine it's like a security truck refilling an ATM

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Sheizerbrick posted:

It was going back to Spain to cause massive inflation there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheizerbrick posted:

It was on a schedule, probably going from spanish port, to spanish port. That's what the missing page was, so they knew roughly where it would be and when... hurricanes not withstanding.

What interesting, is getting into the geometry of naval navigating and horizonal viewing distances between a ship with a 80 feet mast, and one with a 100 foot mast crownest view distance, was about 2.1 miles extra for the 100 foot. (give or take, Imperial is a the tool of the devil)

So the bigger your ship, they more ocean you could survey

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 17, 2014

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

CODChimera posted:

I'm sure that among the Spanish crew and troops there are ambitious men, petty rivalries, murderous feuds and dark secrets.

To fill the pirate void I got Pirates! on Steam and it's pretty drat cool. I got the first part of the map for Jack Rackham's treasure, got the first 'oh poo poo' moment when a galleon came about to fire a full broadside followed by 'gently caress yeah' as my little sloop sailed under the cannons to deliver grapeshot at point blank and to get the big scores you have to gather intelligence all over the West Indies on when which treasure ship sails. It's like 10 bucks and got more depth then the cartoony style suggests.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dude... AC: Black Flag.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wachepti posted:

And lose Billy Bones? Peddle your dangerous, toxic opinions elsewhere!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CeeJee posted:

I'm sure that among the Spanish crew and troops there are ambitious men, petty rivalries, murderous feuds and dark secrets.

To fill the pirate void I got Pirates! on Steam and it's pretty drat cool. I got the first part of the map for Jack Rackham's treasure, got the first 'oh poo poo' moment when a galleon came about to fire a full broadside followed by 'gently caress yeah' as my little sloop sailed under the cannons to deliver grapeshot at point blank and to get the big scores you have to gather intelligence all over the West Indies on when which treasure ship sails. It's like 10 bucks and got more depth then the cartoony style suggests.

Isn't that the game that's basically Mount and Blade on sea?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Being a Tropico 4 lover, I grabbed Tropico 2 : Pirate Island.

It wouldn't even run :(

Pirates worth grabbing?

I loved this drat show, start to finish. Special props to Bear McCreary, that man makes music for TV like no other. I'm banking on Billy Bones being alive, at a point I was going to assume the worst and that that Gates decided to steal Billy's identity and disappear with the map to England to spend his days getting sloshed and telling stories until Silver went after him, but whelp.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I loved everything in the show that took part on the ship, but i was pretty bored by all the back and forth drama on the island,{spoiler] and i am still confused about the Captain Vane situation, where he seemed to change completely from episode to episode.[/spoiler] I would love it if they could just get Jack and Bonny on a ship, and then forget the rest.
But then again, i didn't like the non-fighting parts of the first few Spartacus seasons.

I am curious about the Man o' War thing, wouldn't it be better for pirates to have a ship more like that, where they would actually stand a chance against other ships?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Oasx posted:

I am curious about the Man o' War thing, wouldn't it be better for pirates to have a ship more like that, where they would actually stand a chance against other ships?

To get your hands on a proper warship you need to take a proper warship; which depends on them beating proper warship in a fight. Also, it ruins any mistaken identity or disguise ploys a crew could play since they'd be easily recognizable as a warship and not a merchant sloop. A lot of captains would have loved to get their hands on a ship like that, but the costs were a little too high for most Pirates' tastes.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Oasx posted:

A huge rear end warship isn't that fast, has a deep draft, and is very difficult and expensive to build, only the biggest seagoing nations could afford such. Plus no matter how powerful your ship is, it would be overwhelmed when a nation state sends an actual navy, several ships against it. A fast corvette makes more sense, so that they could both catch their prey and escape if needed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
'Black' Bartholomew Roberts managed to capture a Man o War with the Governor of Martinique onboard by pretending to be a French merchant ship offering information on his own where abouts.

He hung said Governor from the yard arm.

If they used a Man o War, they'd also have to crew it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I see, those are good points.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I was a little late to this show and wasn't all that thrilled initially but goddamn was I hooked by about episode 3 and that finale was goddamn fantastic. They really packed a lot into eight episodes and I can't wait to see where the next season goes.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Even my wife,who knows nothing of naval battles in the age of sail(I'm a huge master & commander and Horatio Hornblower fan) said " ohhhh poo poo" when that broadside opened up.

At the end, I assume that was gold n the chests, but watching on a smaller screen I thought it was sand(ballast) for some reason

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Roundboy posted:

At the end, I assume that was gold n the chests, but watching on a smaller screen I thought it was sand(ballast) for some reason

That's the end of season 2 cliffhanger! How's Flint going to get out of this one??

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Between the Bear McCreary music and the fact that the climax of the show focuses on battles between ships, I gotta say that regardless of the acting and the writing, it reminds me of the better parts of BSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They even did the "zoom in on the cock gun" thing as they fired.

• Locked thread