Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sleepy Owl posted:

I've never managed to send anyone flying more than a few feet. :(

I once punched an ant outside megaton all the way to the super duper mart.

One of its legs remained in megaton and totally hosed up game loading, rendering megaton largely inaccessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

FairGame posted:

I once punched an ant outside megaton all the way to the super duper mart.

One of its legs remained in megaton and totally hosed up game loading, rendering megaton largely inaccessible.

Open console, click body, type disable. Then uninstall Fallout 3 because it sucks :v:

Actually, how did the gently caress up manifest? Did the Megaton cell just refuse to load or something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today I learned that NV and by proxy FO3 support downsampling through ENB graphics modification! I played this game at 4k and the resulting powerpoint slideshow looked really good! I might take a few screenshots if I can get it to be playable but my computer, useful though it may be, will probably melt if I play it for any extended amount of time.

edit: Whoops this isn't the mod thread. Oh well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Imapanda posted:

Stop bitching that I let the monorail blow up, if Obsidian wanted me to be emotionall invested in public transportation in Fallout they should have animated the thing and let me ride it, along with giving me a hint that it even existed before I started the quest. :argh:

This game is so bad at getting me immersed. It's already showing off it's age. So many huge gamechanging mods but none that add flavor to existing missions. :(

Have you tried the New Vegas Uncut series of mods? This is pretty much all they do. Outside Bets in particular adds a ton of new sequences to quests that were cut out at the last moment (like Meyers giving a speech to the Powder Gangers if you recruit him as sheriff, Victor going berserk if you do a certain thing and entirely new sequences like seeing the lights on the Lucky 38 switch on)

Highly recommended if you haven't checked them out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Victor going berserk if you do a certain thing

Go on :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That mod adds back in a cut encounter where if you blow up the secret robot stash at the Fort, Victor ambushes you in the Lucky 38 for a final cowboy-style duel. A cowboy-style duel with lasers.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

twistedmentat posted:

Thats what I choose light armor. It weights nothing and you can keep in good shape until you can get the Desert Ranger armor.

I like to roll with the tribal armors until then. It gives decent bonuses to melee/etc, and it makes me feel like the courier's gone native :haw:

CJacobs posted:

That mod adds back in a cut encounter where if you blow up the secret robot stash at the Fort, Victor ambushes you in the Lucky 38 for a final cowboy-style duel. A cowboy-style duel with lasers.

I'm not one for mods, but this and jsawyer are the reasons I really wish I had a PC capable of running FNV. Playing on PS3 is a...largely flawed experience.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I started Dead Money the other day.

I don't care what anyone says, it's awesome.

Well ok bye.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

whatsabattle posted:

I started Dead Money the other day.

I don't care what anyone says, it's awesome.

Well ok bye.

Back in the cage!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome. I blew up the bots my last game and Victor never threw down despite having those uncut mods active. At least I think they're active... hmm.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
I wish more happened if you blew up houses robots. You can like stroll down the strip with no problem even though you should be public enemy number 1 to house. I don't think anything attacks you until you walk into the lucky 38

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Okimin posted:

I wish more happened if you blew up houses robots. You can like stroll down the strip with no problem even though you should be public enemy number 1 to house. I don't think anything attacks you until you walk into the lucky 38

Bad for business for Securitrons out on the strip to open fire on just another gambler. No one out there knows you blew it up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CJacobs posted:

Every time I hear about a cut feature or encounter it makes me disproportionately sad that this game wasn't in development just two or three more months :smith:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

2house2fly posted:

Every time I hear about a cut feature or encounter it makes me disproportionately sad that this game wasn't in development just two or three more months :smith:

The whole sequence with House has a ton of cut content.

If you blow up the securitrons and go to confront Mr. House, Victor will meet you in the main lobby of the Lucky 38 and challenge you to a duel.

If you attempt to kill House, he will speak to you over the loudspeaker trying to reason with you (along the lines of "Stop this, and we'll forget this ever happened!" etc)

After he's dead, he'll broadcast his death to New Vegas and ask people to go to a Securitron for a printed obituary...

Another one of the mods also adds in a cut encounter with Benny at the Fort. If you help him escape, he will ambush you and try to kill you again on the way out. After you've killed the Legion, of course. Stupid fucker never learns.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 17, 2014

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

MisterBibs posted:

Wouldn't you want to take tips from the folks who took a dead-and-buried game series and managed to define/introduce the series to a public (I refuse to consider it a redefinition or reintroduction, that implies that the audience had a definition or introduction in the first place), to overwhelming positive response?

I'm guessing you are under 30. In the late 90s, everybody into computer games and, if not a fan of Fallout, was very aware of it. To most gamers over the age of 35, FO:3 was in no way an "introduction" to the Fallout series.

And most PC gamers are over 35.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

And most PC gamers are over 35.

It's a year old, but the average gamer is thirty, with a mere 36% of gamers being over 35.*. Besides, F3 was a console game as well, so you've got a majority chunk of gamers who never played the PC-only Fallout 1/2. With the rights being sold to Bethesda and killing VB, culminating in 3 outselling every earlier game, with 83% of those sales coming from non-PC sources , I think it's myopic to assume that out of all the myriad gamers buying F3, even anything close to a majority of them came into F3 knowing thing one about the series.

* The average buyer is 35, and I'm guessing the discrepancy lies in parents having to buy games for their kids. And while the ESRB's ratings means dick, F3's Mature rating means it's been judged for people born in the year F1 came out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, god help gaming if the new generation feels like every single path should be equally difficult easy at all times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the third time now, making the area be full of poo poo that can kill you in 3 hits would be inexcusable if it weren't for the fact that you are warned about it first. If the game just threw it in there then yeah that would be a bad design choice but even Benny is like WOW THAT SUCKED on the subject of going straight to Vegas via stealth boy. The game telling you via characters, screen popups, and a million tiny red blips on your compass should be enough to justify its existence.

It is not a problem with Obsidian not taking cues from Bethsoft because Fallout 3 does the same drat thing (making there be hard to kill enemies in one direction so you don't go there right off the bat). The plot route of FO3 takes you into the heart of the city and super mutant territory but if you go there right from Vault 101 you'll get your rear end handed to you because it's a huge decayed city and you've lived underground your entire life. That is Fallout 3's Trudy-warning-you-about-huge-monsters. I'm sorry dude but I really think you're just not getting it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
yes because you can compare the sales of games released eleven year apart, seventeen and six years ago respectively today yool 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wolfsheim posted:

I wouldn't bother bringing any armor into Honest Hearts, you'll get better stuff there and there's nowhere to stash anything. And if you're a guns character, just bring a decent long range weapon, because you are about to be showered with everything else you could possibly want.

I may be the only one, but I tend to be really starved for ammunition around the start of Honest Hearts because of the weight limit combined with having only a few weapons (and thus, only a few calibers are actually useful to me.) Over time it's gotten easier as I figure out where all the stashes are, and which ones I need to hit up first.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

For the third time now, making the area be full of poo poo that can kill you in 3 hits would be inexcusable if it weren't for the fact that you are warned about it first. If the game just threw it in there then yeah that would be a bad design choice but even Benny is like WOW THAT SUCKED on the subject of going straight to Vegas via stealth boy. The game telling you via characters, screen popups, and a million tiny red blips on your compass should be enough to justify its existence.

And in creating an area that's difficult enough to warrant all manner of characters/popups/etc, it's placed incorrectly if it's near the starting area. Perfectly tolerable if it's a directed, rail-type game. Inherently intolerable in open-world go-anywhere games.

CJacobs posted:

It is not a problem with Obsidian not taking cues from Bethsoft because Fallout 3 does the same drat thing (making there be hard to kill enemies in one direction so you don't go there right off the bat). The plot route of FO3 takes you into the heart of the city and super mutant territory but if you go there right from Vault 101 you'll get your rear end handed to you because it's a huge decayed city and you've lived underground your entire life.

I'm supposedly bad at video games, but I'm not having any trouble with it. Everything on the way to the heart of the city is properly designed so that by the time I get to the heart of the city, I'm capable of dealing with anything there.

SpookyLizard posted:

yes because you can compare the sales of games released eleven year apart, seventeen and six years ago respectively today yool 2014

I don't see why not, since ClearAirTurbulence asserted that the people who bought the 11/16 year old games are the people who bought the 6 year old game. Statistically, they aren't.

The market has expanded and diversified, and as such it's dishonest to call 3 a reintroduction to the general audience. 3 doesn't reintroduce the series to an previously-existing audience, it introduces and defines it to an audience that has never played a Fallout game before. And unsurprisingly, the game that's designed as a sequel to the 11/16 year old games isn't as strongly received as the six-year-old game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MisterBibs posted:

And in creating an area that's difficult enough to warrant all manner of characters/popups/etc, it's placed incorrectly if it's near the starting area. Perfectly tolerable if it's a directed, rail-type game. Inherently intolerable in open-world go-anywhere games.

That doesn't prevent you from still going there! There are several ways to get through that area unharmed at level 1 and even kill everything there that isn't a deathclaw and even then they won't even come near you if you crouch and slow walk and aaaa :supaburn:

Your taste in video games still is not bad but holy poo poo man this entire conversation has been

"This area shouldn't be near the start!"
"But there are x things you can do to get through it."
"But you can still go there anyway."
"But the NPCs warn you about going there."

Back and forth forever. Forever.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
please continue missing the point of my post because the gaming industry and gaming demographics and all that poo poo literally havent changed in seventeen years and also because some other guy posted a thing

please shut up and go be bad at games somewhere else

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MisterBibs posted:

:psyduck:

How does someone come to this conclusion? If anything, it makes more sense for areas of wildly varying difficulties to exist alongside each other in an open-world game, which by definition should encourage exploring an unrestricted world (and no, warning signs are not restrictions). There's an area of heavy construction near my house, I'm not going there without proper safety precautions, but by the above logic toddlers should be able to swing from the scaffolding like monkey bars.

And again, it only takes a modicum of effort to get past the dangerous areas, all it takes is a bit of creative thinking.

MisterBibs posted:

Everything on the way to the heart of the city is properly designed so that by the time I get to the heart of the city, I'm capable of dealing with anything there.

And so is the Courier and the starting areas you complain so much about, unless you equate 'capable' with 'shoot everything like this was CoD'.

EDIT: Are we being trolled? Because I get the distinct feeling that we're being trolled.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 17, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

And unsurprisingly, the game that's designed as a sequel to the 11/16 year old games isn't as strongly received as the six-year-old game.

Yes that is exactly why. This might surprise you, but a lot of bad things are well received :downs:

But yeah to a lot of people they wonder why they called the first Fallout "Fallout 3"

Also you are bad at games. You actually said if the game warns you with a popup (Victor) of a difficult area THAT ISN'T ENOUGH. Keep on walking into cazadores, man, whatever you want to do.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If you can manage to not get swarmed by Cazadores their wings are easy to cripple leaving them sitting ducks. The only way they could make it easier is give you the dart gun from 3 which crippled limbs, because that made any fight with a melee opponent super easy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MisterBibs posted:

I'm supposedly bad at video games, but I'm not having any trouble with it. Everything on the way to the heart of the city is properly designed so that by the time I get to the heart of the city, I'm capable of dealing with anything there.

Not supposedly. You are. Needing to cheat is kind of a red-flag.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh my god, buying something new is not the same thing as having heard of it at all. Bear in mind that the Fallout brand is not a requirement for a post-apocalypse setting- in fact the franchise started as an attempt to make a spiritual sequel to a game Interplay couldn't get the rights to-and that Fallout 3 could just as easily have been "Zenimax Media presents Apocalypse Scrolls" without anyone needing to buy any rights. So why did they, except that Fallout is a popular and influential series to the extent that any sequel would be all but guaranteed a built-in audience?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Isn't this the opposite of how it is, though? If you put an impossible or very difficult area near the start of an open-world game, that's fine, the player can just go somewhere else. If you put it near the start of a linear game, you done hosed up the difficulty curve, because the player can't just gently caress off somewhere else.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JawKnee posted:

Not supposedly. You are. Needing to cheat is kind of a red-flag.

Not necessarily; depending on how you cheat, it can make the game more fun, or at least less tedious. I regularly cheat in that perk that lets me see the whole map, as I have a terrible sense of direction :downs:

Trick Question posted:

Isn't this the opposite of how it is, though? If you put an impossible or very difficult area near the start of an open-world game, that's fine, the player can just go somewhere else. If you put it near the start of a linear game, you done hosed up the difficulty curve, because the player can't just gently caress off somewhere else.

Exactly, thank you. Seriously MrBibs- assuming you're serious, you're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

That doesn't prevent you from still going there! There are several ways to get through that area unharmed at level 1 and even kill everything there that isn't a deathclaw and even then they won't even come near you if you crouch and slow walk and aaaa :supaburn:

I'd rather have my enjoyment be based on what I find on the way to whatever direction I want (as should be expected from an open-world game), not cheesing some incorrectly-placed beef-gate because the developer thought I need to 'earn' the right to be there.

CommissarMega posted:

And so is the Courier and the starting areas you complain so much about, unless you equate 'capable' with 'shoot everything like this was CoD'.

If I'm playing a shooty-type player, sure, being able to shoot and kill my enemies is pretty much the definition of capability.

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Are we being trolled? Because I get the distinct feeling that we're being trolled.

Considering Fallout 3 superior as a Fallout game compared to NV in key aspects isn't trolling. As I noted before, there's been plenty of times in the cycles of this thread where someone discussed how - unsurprisingly - one of their friends found Fallout 3 to be superior to NV. I haven't insulted anyone for liking NV more than 3.

Mortimer posted:

Yes that is exactly why. This might surprise you, but a lot of bad things are well received :downs:

And a lot of good things are poorly received, especially when those doing the receiving believe themselves (incorrectly) that they have authority in the matter. Did Bethesda worry when NMA/Goon types disliked Fallout 3?

No, because they had people like me who preferred it. And the series was better off for it. Unless you think Van Buren could have appealed to an equally-large group of people that 3 did. But that'd be silly to even posit.

Trick Question posted:

If you're right, find me a path to Vegas equal in difficulty/content to the Roundabout Path (remember, the North Path is not a valid answer). If you hit an invisible wall, the path is invalid. The way I see it, there's the Roundabout Path, the Inexplicably Difficult Path, and... :iiam:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 17, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Considering Fallout 3 superior as a Fallout game compared to NV in key aspects isn't trolling.

No, but saying it is a good Fallout game because it is the most unlike a Fallout game is the route I can see a troll going. You know, "Star Wars would be better if the blasters shot bullets and it was set in the wild west, and instead of stopping the Empire it should be about finding an unmarked grave full of gold"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

I don't see why not, since ClearAirTurbulence asserted that the people who bought the 11/16 year old games are the people who bought the 6 year old game. Statistically, they aren't.

The market has expanded and diversified, and as such it's dishonest to call 3 a reintroduction to the general audience. 3 doesn't reintroduce the series to an previously-existing audience, it introduces and defines it to an audience that has never played a Fallout game before. And unsurprisingly, the game that's designed as a sequel to the 11/16 year old games isn't as strongly received as the six-year-old game.

Speaking as someone who was four years old when the first Fallout came out, whose first Fallout game was Fallout 3, and who played through both F3 and NV on the Xbox 360 first, you're an idiot who's bad at games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MisterBibs posted:

If I'm playing a shooty-type player, sure, being able to shoot and kill my enemies is pretty much the definition of capability.

And you can- however, that does not mean you ought to be a Texas Ranger out of the gate, or that the game's world should mollycoddle you. Again, Cazador Valley (or whatever the name was) is perfectly passable regardless of build, you just need to do a little thinking outside the box as opposed to sticking to a one-track path (which I suppose is Obsidian's forte). Just because you're a shooty character doesn't mean you have to solve every problem with a gun.

EDIT:

MisterBibs posted:

If you're right, find me a path to Vegas equal in difficulty/content to the Roundabout Path (remember, the North Path is not a valid answer). If you hit an invisible wall, the path is invalid. The way I see it, there's the Roundabout Path, the Inexplicably Difficult Path, and... :iiam:

Your 'Inexplicably Difficult Path' IS equal in difficulty and content (albeit the content comes later). You just need to adjust your mind to a paradigm that isn't 'hand me everything on a silver platter'. Everything you need to get past that area is in Goodsprings, you just need to look around the place for a bit. Remember, Goodsprings isn't like Vault 101 or the execution area in Skyrim; it's as close to a small town as the engine allows, with plenty to see, do and find in addition to its tutorial bits..

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I'd rather have my enjoyment be based on what I find on the way to whatever direction I want (as should be expected from an open-world game), not cheesing some incorrectly-placed beef-gate because the developer thought I need to 'earn' the right to be there.
If that's cheesing, then what the gently caress is the point of the stealth skill?

MisterBibs posted:

If you're right, find me a path to Vegas equal in difficulty/content to the Roundabout Path (remember, the North Path is not a valid answer). If you hit an invisible wall, the path is invalid.
These are words, and I can technically read and understand them, but the connection to what I wrote is lost on me. Still, if it's asking what I think it's asking, then I can't give you what you want. The different paths have different levels of content and difficulty. It is one of the ways in which they are different! There's an easy path which is good for a first play through, and more direct paths if you're replaying the game or feel like taking on a more challenging route. There are even rewards commensurate with the more difficult path, including some sweet knuckles.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ugh, jesus christ guys, Tetris keeps giving me all these weird shaped blocks and lets me stack them however I want, but it still tells me I lose if I don't stack them "correctly". Why would it give me all these different ways to stack the blocks if I can stack them in a way that makes me lose? It's bullshit I tell you!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

I really don't know what kind of open-world games you're playing, but "Being able to go anywhere and kill anything without the slightest hint of difficulty" is not a requirement for an open-world game. I suppose the developers were too optimistic that, when presented with a problem, the players might try and solve it or-heaven forbid-go around it instead of whining on an internet forum. And for god's sake you clod, it's not "cheesing some incorrectly-placed beef-gate", it's literally using the tools that the devs gave you because they thought you might want to use gameplay mechanics to play the game.

quote:

So every game should be like Call of Duty, then, where enemies take a handfull of bullets to kill, regardless if they're power-armored supersoldiers or hideous mutated monsters. Got it.

quote:

Considering Fallout 3 superior as a Fallout game compared to NV in key aspects isn't trolling. As I noted before, there's been plenty of times in the cycles of this thread where someone discussed how - unsurprisingly - one of their friends found Fallout 3 to be superior to NV. I haven't insulted anyone for liking NV more than 3.

That's usually because their opinions based on more subjective things like "I liked the world design" or "Well, the story was dumb but I liked it", not "The developers didn't cater to my every whim".

quote:

And a lot of good things are poorly received, especially when those doing the receiving believe themselves (incorrectly) that they have authority in the matter. Did Bethesda worry when NMA/Goon types disliked Fallout 3?

No, because they had people like me who preferred it. And the series was better off for it. Unless you think Van Buren could have appealed to an equally-large group of people that 3 did. But that'd be silly to even posit.

You do realize that New Vegas sold more copies than 3, right?

quote:

Well, there's numerous routes to New Vegas. You can swing past the Cazadores and out past Red Rock Canyon, if you're capable of shooting their wings or using a Stealth Boy, as multiple people have said and you've deliberately ignored. You can go down the highway past Sloan, and either use a Stealth Boy to avoid the Deathclaws or hug Black Mountain and possibly try and deal with the Super-Mutants there. You can go through Scorpion Gulch, or even through some of the other canyons that pass through the mountains that divide the map. And once you get over on the other side, you're free to run all the way to New Vegas by following the road, with literally no greater challenge than a couple ants and raiders. There are all sorts of ways to get to where you want to go at any level, if you're reasonably smart and are capable of dealing with a minor challenge without breaking into tears.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I'm honestly confused at how apoplectic people get while defending this game. I mean yeah, the guy isn't listening and has clearly made his mind up about cazadore placement or whatever, but eesh, you'd think he insulted someone's mother. Is this left-over NMA angst or something? I honestly can't figure it out, and I played the first two Fallout games--neither of which, by the way, were exactly flawless meccas of deep storytelling.

So yeah, I'm one of "those people" who likes FO3 better than New Vegas. Ater beating NV once, I just can't force myself to trudge through it again; it feels boring and empty and repetitive.

Several elements of its plot seem ill-suited for a video game. The worst two examples of that are Caesar and Ulysses. Caesar's lines about his philosophy and motivations are super-interesting but it's completely dumb and unbelievable that such a brilliant dictator would just trust some dumbass courier who waltzes into his camp. (Especially when the player character is a female; why in the hell would a guy like Caesar give that much power to a woman, when in the game itself, much is made about how explicitly terrible the legion treats women?) And if you blew up the bunker, why the hell does he just take your word for it? Too difficult to send a guy down to check?

But Ulysses is, far and away, the worst character I have ever encountered in a game. His dialogue is atrociously over-written, to nearly an embarrassing degree. I mean, the guy is literally just a floating head that drones on for hours and hours with hundreds of platitudes as obscure as they are melodramatic. It's seems to me that whoever was responsible for writing him actually wanted to write long-form fiction, but had to settle for this instead. I just can't think of any other reason why someone thought it was a good idea to include something like that in what is supposed to be an interactive medium. Doesn't help that the actor set his voice to 'grate', either.

Anyway, sorry about the differing opinion. I wanted to like NV a lot more than I did, and god knows that over the years I've tried about a dozen times to replay it. I honestly can't say what it is about FO3 that I like more, other than that I just simply enjoy sitting down and experiencing it more than I ever did NV. It's not brilliantly written, nor an exercise in gameplay depth, but I have fun when I play it, and I'm not sure what else there really is when it comes to video games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chillmatic posted:

I'm honestly confused at how apoplectic people get while defending this game. I mean yeah, the guy isn't listening and has clearly made his mind up about cazadore placement or whatever, but eesh, you'd think he insulted someone's mother. Is this left-over NMA angst or something? I honestly can't figure it out, and I played the first two Fallout games--neither of which, by the way, were exactly flawless meccas of deep storytelling.

It's just frustrating to read someone complaining about easily surmountable problems- look up DarkSydePhil on the tubes for more of this. It's okay to like F3 more than New Vegas, and it's easy to see why- the locations are genuinely more interesting, there's a clear-cut divide between good and evil going on, and I for one am not going to argue against power-armoured paladins against black knights in spiky power armour. That's poo poo's cool as balls, and liking that's no crime at the very least.

EDIT: And Liberty Prime. I know people have said that the Liberty Prime attack no more than an interactive cutscene, but hoo boy, if it was it certainly set the standard :circlefap: gently caress yeah, Liberty Prime!

Problem is, MrBibs's problems are less about the game, and more about how he wants to play them. It's like playing playing Dishonoured and complaining that it's not as shooty as Serious Sam. THAT being said, however, I will debate NV's philosophy with you, because I'm a sperg like that :v:

Chillmatic posted:

Caesar's lines about his philosophy and motivations are super-interesting but it's completely dumb and unbelievable that such a brilliant dictator would just trust some dumbass courier who waltzes into his camp. (Especially when the player character is a female; why in the hell would a guy like Caesar give that much power to a woman, when in the game itself, much is made about how explicitly terrible the legion treats women?) And if you blew up the bunker, why the hell does he just take your word for it? Too difficult to send a guy down to check?

One way of looking at it is that Caesar's philosophy is predicated on it being the bestest ever philosophy, which does not quite work IRL as he'd like it to. He also cannot delegate certain tasks to his followers (e.g. Lanius etc.) because he's afraid it would taint their ideas regarding himself and said philosophy, so he needs outside help for certain tasks.

You could also take the interpretation that behind all the pretty words and high-minded speeches, Caesar is basically an rear end in a top hat at his most basic level, which is why he espouses a primitivist philosophy that places him at the top as their literal God-Emperor, yet is willing to throw all that stuff away the moment it does not benefit him. Again though, he cannot afford too much cross-contamination (even frumentarii like Vulpes must have their limits), so why not get some mercenary help?

Chillmatic posted:

But Ulysses is, far and away, the worst character I have ever encountered in a game. His dialogue is atrociously over-written, to nearly an embarrassing degree. I mean, the guy is literally just a floating head that drones on for hours and hours with hundreds of platitudes as obscure as they are melodramatic.

I dunno, I thought Ulysses's voice was pretty good. However, I suspect that he was intentionally written as unstable. If I may quote myself:

CommissarMega posted:

He wants vengeance on the Legion and NCR for simply existing while Hopeville got destroyed, he wants you to know that regardless of what happens it's your fault (as you should have realized long before), and finally he's simply angry, half-mad with grief and lashing out.

Basically, he's a man who's mad with grief, but cannot bring himself to admit it, and searches for any rationalization he could find.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The one thing I can commend FO3 on is that it's written really basically.

Like, not in a 'bad' way (I still think it's badly written) but it very firmly sticks itself in the category of 'literature that all people should be able to understand'. There's no deep concepts or moral quandries within it - you're not asked to question the setting or anyone in it. The big bad moral choice is literally presented to you at the very end and is literally 'hey you should, instead of curing everything and making life nice for people, kill everyone with this poison'.

NV tries to avoid having 'right answers' to the problems. There's better answers, but never for everyone. What the NCR does to Primm isn't perfect, but is it better than what Meyers does by shooting people he thinks is guilty? Who knows! That's for you to decide.

NV is written a lot more like what *I* personally think that choice based RPGs should be. Having a 'good' option and an 'evil' option kills the whole point of making choices in my opinion, because it becomes 'well I am doing an evil run, so hey, kill everyone pick every evil choice'. This is part of why I liked NV moving away from Karma as well.

FO3 is written in a way that's a lot more 'engaging' at the surface. Gamers are trained to look at characters they've met for five seconds and based on backstory go 'yes I do actually care about them'. This is what happens with your Dad in FO3, and that natural reaction we're trained to have makes it seem to have a much larger motivation behind it than NV.

But in the same way, I'd say FO3 is written more like a JRPG in that factor - it doesn't rely on you picking what you care about in the game, it wants to have you care about what it cares about, and you don't get a choice in the matter.

That isn't bad! It's a fine method of working a game's story and encouraging people to stick to it.

New Vegas is way more 'free' than FO3 in terms of choices, though, and I don't see how anyone can not like that.

Bethesda games in general are... pretty poor on choices in terms of main stories. Skyrim's war has two choices. Fallout 3's water cleaning has two choices. Oblivion doesn't have any choices in any main quests that I remember? And almost all the sidequests in Skyrim and Oblivion are solved one way (go place, kill things, go back), and the only quest I remember from Fallout 3 is the Survival guide, and I guess you get choices in that based on dialogue with your skill checks?

Edit: As to the settign being more interesting or not, I honestly found NV appealed to me more, but that's because I was born and raised for eight years of my life in Vegas. I still do remember the air and space museum and washington monument in FO3 - those were honestly really cool set pieces. But they're the only ones that really interested me.

Well I guess Tenpenny Tower was neat as a testemant to excess. And for blowing up Megaton.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 17, 2014