Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Maybe now Teddy will fall to the Bucs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Rough day

quote:

RosterWatch ‏@RosterWatch 37m
Told by source that Teddy Bridgewater is heading straight from pro day to a meeting with the #Raiders. #ProDayTour

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Maybe now Teddy will fall to the Bucs

The Bucs got their QB already :angel:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The top three quarterbacks are all elite top-10 level talent. Any fan of a team with a desperate need at QB (Texans, Raiders, Browns, Bucs, Vikings, etc.) should be thrilled with any of them.

I'm kind of down on Bortles, but I probably shouldn't be. in 2012 the Chiefs would love to have any of these quarterbacks at #1 and would have certainly selected them. Even Derek loving Carr grades higher than the best QB in that draft. Really, Texans fans should just be happy we have great QB prospects in this draft. Think Matt Ryan / Sam Bradford / Matt Stafford level, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Edit: The comparison is in regards to coming out in the draft...not in terms of pro talent.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bortles screams Gabbert 2.0 to me, though I can't put my finger on why

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

If only his goddamn name wasn't Bortles. I seriously think his draft stock would be higher if his name was Blake Lightning or something

quote:

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 1h
Bridgewater had a few low throws, but I don't count that against his accuray (behind, over receiver). His accuracy was fine.

quote:

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 1h
Bridgewater completed 57-of-65 passes w 2 drops. Prob threw another 35x in warmup. Longest QB workout I can remember.

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 17, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

He doesn't scream Gabbert 2.0 to me, but he's definitely the biggest boom or bust prospect of the three. And you know Bill O'Brien sees a 6'5'' 240 pound quarterback with minor mechanical issues but all the tools in the world to succeed and can't help himself.

Embrace the Bortles Texans fans. It's going to happen.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Ozu posted:

Pauline has been calling Bortles to the Texans for a while now so his views may be clouded on the issue. Seems to think there's no way Manziel is in play.

He has been. I was thinking more along the lines that if Manziel had a good workout, then he could potentially leapfrog Bridgewater in the eyes of teams like the Browns or Raiders. Also, you could make a case for one or both of those teams waiting until later in the draft to address QB. Tampa Bay could also be an option to take Bridgewater, but they seem to be in the process of rebuilding their offensive line, so he may not be a clear option for them if one of the top two OTs is still on the board. That being said, if Bridgewater makes it past 5, then the Vikings should try to make a trade with Atlanta or whomever ends up holding the 6th pick, so that they can take Bridgewater. It all really depends on how the draft pans out.

Otherwise, they could look into trading into the late 1st to take someone like Carr or Garoppolo or they could just wait until later in the draft and take someone like Murray. I do think that they'll take 2 QBs in the draft with one in the first 3 rounds and one in the 5th round or later.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Intruder posted:

A QB with a bad name who was never in the discussion until the season was almost over

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I've gotten my heart set on Bridgewater to the Raiders, and I know it will be broken by the Jags or Texans

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

To me there's a very noticeable gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 of quarterbacks. If you have a chance to get Bortles, Manziel or Bridgewater you've got to pull the trigger. The Browns have made a "living" of settling on quarterback prospects in the draft and look where it's gotten them.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The Glumslinger posted:

A QB with a bad name who was never in the discussion until the season was almost over

Gabbert had been in the discussion for top pick since he was in high school

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Rough day

God, it must hurt to watch your future fall apart.

e: his, not the Raiders.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

e: his, not the Raiders.

No, you were right

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I wouldn't call these quarterbacks some type of great talent at the top. They all have serious red flags.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

They're all grading out to at the very least be top 10 talents in this draft. That's...elite, is it not?

Edit: And really, the only serious red flag is Manziel, and that's his size. But his play in college was so good in the most difficult conference that his potential elevates him to top 10 status. What are the major red flags you see with Bridgewater and Bortles?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yo RoDo let's gloat ITT death to teddy

He's a chump compared to Bortles and especially Manziel

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groucho Marxist posted:

"not in the discussion" usually means "I didn't know about them until"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Glumslinger posted:

So you shouldn't take a player's latest playing season into account when you're evaluating them?

Also Gabbert was a star high school recruit and the reason he wasn't being talked about until the season was over was because no one thought he was coming out.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

The Glumslinger posted:

If anything, the second part of that statement describes Cam Newton more accurately.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Nah, he had system college QB stigma. Pre-season had Locker as the consensus #1.

Jason McIntyre actually nailed it before the draft even took place: http://thebiglead.com/2011/01/26/nfl-draft-attempting-to-find-out-how-why-and-when-the-blaine-gabbert-lovefest-began/

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

Well...

I hope my fellow Texans fans like Blake Bortles, because that's going to be the choice.

Stop making me have confirmation bias about your whiplash QB preferences.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've always been a fan of Bridgewater, and still am to this day, despite the less than stellar Pro Day.

I'm also a realist. You and I both know it's going to be Bortles bhsman, we may as well accept it now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

I've always been a fan of Bridgewater, and still am to this day, despite the less than stellar Pro Day.

I'm also a realist. You and I both know it's going to be Bortles bhsman, we may as well accept it now.

24 hours after the draft you'll be in here goin' "Clowney was the #1 prospect, how did I not figure that we would draft", Jesus Christ.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would be very surprised if noted QB guru Bill O'Brien didn't draft his guy with the #1 pick to groom when there's quarterbacks in this class that justify the #1 pick.

You underestimate the level of ego NFL coaches have. Bill is going to want to have his guy. Schaub, Keenum and Yates are not those people.

Edit: I'll even do a one year avatar bet with you that the Texans will draft a QB over Mack or Clowney. It will last until the start of next year's draft. There's a reason why Bill O'Brien took this job, bhsman.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Intruder posted:

The one most likely to run away from phantom defenders into a sack is Manziel though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kirios posted:

They're all grading out to at the very least be top 10 talents in this draft. That's...elite, is it not?
Relative to QB prospects in the top 5-10 discussion, not really. Elite QB prospects are usually no-brainer top of the draft class types.

People will poo poo on Kiper/McShay but on their First Draft podcast Kiper had the 3 QB prospects all ranked in the 8-12 overall range while McShay had Bridgewater/Bortles 9-12th, with Manziel in the early 20s.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

People will poo poo on Kiper/McShay but on their First Draft podcast Kiper had the 3 QB prospects all ranked in the 8-12 overall range while McShay had Bridgewater/Bortles 9-12th, with Manziel in the early 20s.

It's not where they rank them, it's the reason they rank them. McShay and Kiper are full of bullshit superlatives and misinformation. They're so inconsistent in their narratives that I'm almost positive neither one of them writes their own material anymore.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

Edit: And really, the only serious red flag is Manziel, and that's his size. But his play in college was so good in the most difficult conference that his potential elevates him to top 10 status. What are the major red flags you see with Bridgewater and Bortles?

Would you consider Eric Fisher elite?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Odd question, will Maty Mauk be eligible for the draft after next year

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Would you consider Eric Fisher elite?

As a prospect? Yes, absolutely.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Quarterbacks always get an artificial boost in terms of draft position just because they are scarce. I wouldn't say that any of them are a generational talent like Luck.

I'm not really sure what point you're getting at, but they have some red flags.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

I would be very surprised if noted QB guru Bill O'Brien didn't draft his guy with the #1 pick to groom when there's quarterbacks in this class that justify the #1 pick.

You underestimate the level of ego NFL coaches have. Bill is going to want to have his guy. Schaub, Keenum and Yates are not those people.

There's no way Houston would pass up on a quarterback with a premier pass rusher with a first year offensive coach, except for that last time where they did exactly that.

quote:

Edit: I'll even do a one year avatar bet with you that the Texans will draft a QB over Mack or Clowney. It will last until the start of next year's draft. There's a reason why Bill O'Brien took this job, bhsman.

:lol: I wouldn't mind, but statements like "There's a reason why Bill O'Brien took this job" when he admitted on radio a week after his initial press conference that he hadn't done any film review yet of the QBs, and I don't think anyone's asked him about Mack or Clowney. I'm just pointing out how you've immediately swerved to the Next Great Hope at QB from Keenum to Bridgewater and now suddenly Bortles. Stop changing allegiances at the drop of a hat; Teddy's Pro Day doesn't magically erase all of his great game tape.

Anyways, what did you have in mind for specific avatars?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

There's no way Houston would pass up on a quarterback with a premier pass rusher with a first year offensive coach, except for that last time where they did exactly that.

Kubiak got the job on the idea that he could turn David Carr's career around. Also, was any QB in that draft thought of as highly as Teddy or JFF? And you could argue Mario was a better prospect than Clowney

Right now I still take Clowney though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also, there's an ulterior interest in tearing down these QB prospects and making them seem not special, and I think some of you are falling for it. A QB falling in the draft benefits a lot of teams. How many scouts put an actual name or team to their critical takedowns of QBs? OR ANY TOP PROSPECT. They never do. You can't dismiss that. That poo poo doesn't work on a "can't miss" like Luck, but nobody said these guys would be can't miss. You can look forward to this next year with Jameis Winston too.

I read a few anonymous quotes of "next year's QB class will be better", and in a year you'll see anonymous quotes of "next year's QB class will be better", and in a year you'll see anonymous quotes of "next year's QB class will be better", and in a

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 17, 2014

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Alouicious posted:

Odd question, will Maty Mauk be eligible for the draft after next year

He is and will funsling his way into everyone's hearts.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
If you jerks don't want Teddy let the Chiefs have him. please.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Kubiak got the job on the idea that he could turn David Carr's career around. Also, was any QB in that draft thought of as highly as Teddy or JFF? And you could argue Mario was a better prospect than Clowney

I'll argue that Mario Williams was a better prospect than Clowney. I'd also argue that just because a prospect isn't as good as Luck/Peyton coming out it doesn't make them unworthy of a top 10 selection.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Oh they aren't perfect analogies, but Kirios's claim of "This is why he took the job, wink wink" is just ridiculous. He took the job because he wants to coach an NFL team, not because of a specific prospect or position, especially when he admitted to not even doing individual evaluations a week after taking the job (because the roster needed to be evaluated first).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Are we sincerely asking questions like "what are possible red flags on Blake bortles??"

Because there are a bunch. He's your typical late riser who looks great on paper and has everything that makes a franchise drool, much like Blaine Gabbert did. Bortles has issues with reads, his level of competition was questionable and frankly I'm not crazy about the guys progression

They are all possible top 10 picks but they are not locks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Let's talk about how silly some Texans fans are over at a certain blog for thinking the Texans are going to get a third round pick out of the Raiders for Schaub :v:

• Locked thread