Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Don't feel bad for Hikari, she would feel the same about is in any playthrough. The only ones you should feel sorry for are us poor fools here who through some force of malice or purest ignorance did not vote for Homura. I really like B-Ho but Homura just quoted Stronger and that's amazing.

She doesn't just quote it. She lives it. Her leitmotif is a love song to Kamen Rider (with more than a hint of Getter Robo).

This is Homura's background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4AR4YQ8NU
This is the Kamen Rider Stronger opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQrM9i9tGSM

(Come to think of it, I should probably start inserting people's theme music into these posts for when they appear... tindeck here I come?)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WHY DIDN'T WE PICK HER?! :negative: :negative:

We could have been heroes of justice!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Clearly we need to date EVERY girl in this game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dragongem posted:

I second this motion.

Okay, maybe we can skip Miyuki. While I admire her 'things will get better eventually!' outlook that she seems to have, that voice is grating as all hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Considering how all star this cast is so far, no wonder Tokimeki 3's apparently forgettable cast was so harshly received.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Dragongem posted:

Agreed. Isn't Tokimeki 2 the best of the series?

edit: Although I could do without a separate Miho-A run.

sincx fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 17, 2014

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Dragongem posted:

This isn't half-bad an idea.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hellioning posted:

I second this motion.

Okay, maybe we can skip Miyuki. While I admire her 'things will get better eventually!' outlook that she seems to have, that voice is grating as all hell.

NO.

If nothing else, she has the best ending. (Probably tied with Homura)

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I fully support the every girl motion. I know I said there was a girl I wanted to do but it was a close choice.

I've enjoyed how this LP is going and it's much more fun than watching video clips and reading about it that I did some while ago.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Purely from a project management perspective, here's what I think is a reasonable projection on how long it would take to run through everything in Tokimemo 2.

Previous pace:
Shiori: ~6 weeks.
Yuina: ~4 weeks.

Current pace:
B-ho: at current pace ~7 weeks, but can fluctuate by up to 2 weeks due to RNG.
Miho: ~2 weeks, accounting for RNG

Future projections:
Akane: ~3 weeks
Cockblock: ~1 week
Hikari: ~4 weeks
Homura: ~4 weeks
BaseballKaedeko: ~2-3 weeks
Kaori: ~4 weeks
Kasumi: ~5 weeks
Kotoko: ~4 weeks
Mei: ~4 weeks
Maeka: ~2-3 weeks
Miyuki: ~6 weeks
Sumire: Please no.

So to do all of Tokimemo 2, that projects out to about 47 more weeks of maintaining current pace. That's... a long time, and that doesn't even count the weeks where I'll be playing Dancing Summer Vacation (~1.5 weeks), Leaping School Festival (~1.5 weeks), Puzzledama, or Quiz Shiyo!

(So now do you guys see why this game did so well? That's a freaking year to see something like 67% of this game!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just do Homura then. That cuts that time in like 10 and also gives us Kamen Rider.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Homura's already in the other LP. Sorry man, but it's either Hikari or being the biggest of assholes. v:shobon:v

I fully expect Hikari to get ditched again. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BlitzBlast posted:

Homura's already in the other LP. Sorry man, but it's either Hikari or being the biggest of assholes. v:shobon:v

The other LP sucks, though.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

You could do a route every now and then over the course of the whole LP. I think you've already said you might do more of this game whenever you get fed up with 3, at least.

vibratingsheep posted:

Sumire: Please no.

And you can't just say this without explaining why. She wasn't on the voting list way back when, so I assume she's one of the secret characters?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 18, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, I don't know where the other LP is. <:mad:>

You can also never have enough Kamen Rider.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
BrokenForum - the LP with Homura is at http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/lets-play-tokimeki-memorial-2-datin-girls-and-wrasslin-bears-like-its-1999.5319/

Given that it's not fair to ask him to do every girl and that there are many interesting characters to pursue, it seems a waste to duplicate effort on Homura, Mei, and... whatever her name was... when they're already posted somewhere, even if the writing style may not be your most favorite. Especially since this is the best chance most of us have to see it, since we can't play it for ourselves.

Unless there's a secret plan to drum up support for an English release. (Hey, I can always hope.)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

And you can't just say this without explaining why. She wasn't on the voting list way back when, so I assume she's one of the secret characters?

Yeah, she's one of the secret characters, associated with the circus. She's the youngest character in the game by 2 years, and it kind of gives me the willies. It's an old prejudice from the Sakura Taisen days.

Strangely, I don't mind Kaedeko at all, and Kaedeko looks/acts a lot younger than Sumire does. I think it's the baseball.

gegi posted:

Given that it's not fair to ask him to do every girl and that there are many interesting characters to pursue, it seems a waste to duplicate effort on Homura, Mei, and... whatever her name was... when they're already posted somewhere, even if the writing style may not be your most favorite. Especially since this is the best chance most of us have to see it, since we can't play it for ourselves.

Just to be perfectly clear about this, I am quite open to going through everything in Tokimemo 2. I'm just making sure everyone knows the time frame involved before getting to ~2-4 weeks of Tokimemo 3 and I dunno how long of Tokimemo 4.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 18, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gegi posted:

BrokenForum - the LP with Homura is at http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/lets-play-tokimeki-memorial-2-datin-girls-and-wrasslin-bears-like-its-1999.5319/

Unless there's a secret plan to drum up support for an English release. (Hey, I can always hope.)

I'm not sure how it's not 'fair' - if he doesn't want to do it, he won't. I personally could not finish that LP because I literally could not track what was going on due to the way it was presented. Things happen and there is no explanation or even much in the way of translation - it's like reading poorly written Cliff's Notes except with someone trying to crack poor jokes over them.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

vibratingsheep posted:

Yeah, she's one of the secret characters, associated with the circus. She's the youngest character in the game by 2 years, and it kind of gives me the willies. It's an old prejudice from the Sakura Taisen days.

Strangely, I don't mind Kaedeko at all, and Kaedeko looks/acts a lot younger than Sumire does. I think it's the baseball.

Just to be perfectly clear about this, I am quite open to going through everything in Tokimemo 2. I'm just making sure everyone knows the time frame involved before getting to ~2-4 weeks of Tokimemo 3 and I dunno how long of Tokimemo 4.

Honestly, I think the best way to do Tokimemo 2 through the franchise is to pepper runs in between other games. Especially if Tokimemo 3 is the awful experience that everyone says it is.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You could speed things up a good deal by cutting out the day-to-day grind and just showing the story scenes. The reload counter will be missed but at least you'll get done in a sane time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

Honestly, I think the best way to do Tokimemo 2 through the franchise is to pepper runs in between other games. Especially if Tokimemo 3 is the awful experience that everyone says it is.

This makes sense. Finish B-ho, play Dancing Summer Vacation, play another route, do Leaping, another route, puzzledama, another route, etc.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BlitzBlast posted:

You could speed things up a good deal by cutting out the day-to-day grind and just showing the story scenes. The reload counter will be missed but at least you'll get done in a sane time.

Well, he still has to play through all of it, which is I think the main time consumer.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Do whatever you feel is most fun, VS. I'll be enjoying it regardless :v:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dragongem posted:

Do whatever you feel is most fun, VS. I'll be enjoying it regardless :v:

Agreed. :)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We've had LPs that took years to get through a game once (speaking of Sakura Wars...) so I don't see any problem with doing most of them. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 18, 2014

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

We've had LPs that took years to get through a game once (speaking of Sakura Wars...) so I don't see any problem with doing most of them. :v:
Like that Final Fantasy VII LP. It's been three years. THREE YEARS and they have yet to finish it.

I wonder which LP took the longest to finish in the past, anyway...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sketchie posted:

Like that Final Fantasy VII LP. It's been three years. THREE YEARS and they have yet to finish it.

I wonder which LP took the longest to finish in the past, anyway...

Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP ran for about three and a half years. That's the longest one I know of off the top of my head.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sketchie posted:

The Sakura Wars LP is a few months shy of 7 years old.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

FractalSandwich posted:

Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP ran for about three and a half years. That's the longest one I know of off the top of my head.

Yeah, I remember that, wasn't he doing it in real time?

Anyways, it's certainly all up to you, Vib. Do whatever routes you can, but don't burn out and don't spend any more time than you can spare on this LP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Raitzeno posted:

The Sakura Wars LP is a few months shy of 7 years old.

Wait, it's still going? Holy poo poo.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

As much as it ever has been. It's currently locked, again, but that certainly hasn't stopped it the dozen or so times it's happened before...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh, wow. I was in goddamn junior high 7 years ago.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I was in junior high 7 years ago.

:negative:

I am old. I must pass on my knowledge before I am too decrepit to continue. Very well, children, come to the fire and listen to tales of a simpler world, before the moe boom descended on the industry like a plague of locusts...

(Hypocrisy alert: the underlying theory of moe involves invoking a protective or paternal urge, and Kaedeko fits that archetype to a T. Yet I still like her. Dammit, baseball!)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 18, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is why I will never feel all that bad about delays in my LPs. No matter how long I take, it will never compare to the breaks in the Sakura Taisen LP. I'm glad it's around. It makes LPers feel better about delays due to busy schedules.

And come on you guys. You try to LP a game, translate and transcribe the text into English for every character! That poo poo takes work especially for a VN!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

And come on you guys. You try to LP a game, translate and transcribe the text into English for every character! That poo poo takes work especially for a VN!

Orenronen did it in like a year.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

Orenronen did it in like a year.
The jury is still out on whether or not oren is actually a superadvanced LPing AI.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

vibratingsheep posted:

:negative:

I am old. I must pass on my knowledge before I am too decrepit to continue. Very well, children, come to the fire and listen to tales of a simpler world, before the moe boom descended on the industry like a plague of locusts...

(Hypocrisy alert: the underlying theory of moe involves invoking a protective or paternal urge, and Kaedeko fits that archetype to a T. Yet I still like her. Dammit, baseball!)

I believe we are the same age, my friend. We are both such old people.

I know the eventual plan was to slowly meander over to Metal Wolf Chaos, which I own, and would love to see.

I think a lot of us want to see everything because these games are just so amazing and since the bulk of us are not fluent enough in Japanese to ever play them and will never see a translation this might be our only way.

Ultimately, this LP didn't go gold for nothing VS. Your LP style is great so I can only chime in that I trust you to go with your gut and do what's right by you. (Believe in your own justice!) After all, you could always come back to these games to show off everything at a future time.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Haifisch posted:

The jury is still out on whether or not oren is actually a superadvanced LPing AI.
I'm fairly certain he's powered by the despair of goons, too.

vibratingsheep posted:

Being a fan of Sakura Wars the series/concept without ever really playing the game until 5, I have to ask - was it Iris or Coquelicot?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Hypocrisy alert: the underlying theory of moe involves invoking a protective or paternal urge, and Kaedeko fits that archetype to a T. Yet I still like her. Dammit, baseball!

Invoking a protective or paternal urge is one of the oldest tricks in the book. If that's all it takes to make something moe, I've got some moe cave paintings to show you.

In other words, the underlying theory isn't the problem. "Moe" is the underlying theory twisted into something far worse, which is why it's become a dirty word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Kimitsu posted:

Being a fan of Sakura Wars the series/concept without ever really playing the game until 5, I have to ask - was it Iris or Coquelicot?

Yes. Yes, it was.

FractalSandwich posted:

In other words, the underlying theory isn't the problem. "Moe" is the underlying theory twisted into something far worse, which is why it's become a dirty word.

Yes, the unkind term for moe is "The fetishization of weakness".

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 18, 2014

• Locked thread