Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

fits posted:

WHL West is pretty much set:

(1) Kelowna vs (8)Tri-City
(2) Portland vs (7)Vancouver
(3) Victoria vs (6)???
(4) ?? vs (5) ??

4-5-6 is currently Seattle, Spokane, Everett. Seattle and Spokane might switch 4-5, Everett is likely to stay 6th but still has a game in hand on the other two while 3 points back. The rest are set, Tri-City already has 8th locked up

Hoping for 4-5 Seattle-Everett match up. They have never played each other in the playoffs and are only 45 miles apart in the Seattle metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Rosetown is a dirty town that gets me down
E: can we merge the western canada thread into this one, they're basically the same thing

In hockey news, the Blades ticket guy informs me that the season-ender is expecting about 10k in attendance and will feature more fireworks than a Shawn Michaels ring entrance. Should be a good time.

checksin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 13, 2014

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The western canada thread should just be renamed saskatoon.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Guignol posted:

Rosetown is a dirty town that gets me down
E: can we merge the western canada thread into this one, they're basically the same thing

In hockey news, the Blades ticket guy informs me that the season-ender is expecting about 10k in attendance and will feature more fireworks than a Shawn Michaels ring entrance. Should be a good time.

My graduating class was the one that tried to drown that cop up at Jack Fish lake a couple years back. Thankfully I was long gone by then, though :lol:

Anyway, regarding all this excitable WHL Sask update, tt's not like anyone making the playoffs other than Edmonton, MH, and Calgary has a realistic chance to represent the East in the finals. If things pan out the way you'd expect (and Regina gets to hold onto the #2 seed) we'd be facing the Tigers in round 2 anyway. My dear Patricias haven't made it past round 2 for the 9 years I have been paying attention. COME ON.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I'm trying to feel bad about putting off my homework to go to the IceDogs game tonight, but I can't. Easily one of the most exciting games I've ever seen live.

Niagara may be fighting for the right to get blown out by Oshawa in the first round, but if they get there, they'll have earned it.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Hockey Team has a good chance to come out of the East in my opinion. You're drawing a relatively bad Red Deer or Brandon in the first round and Medicine Hat is down basically everyone worth mentioning (hahahahaha Shinkaruk hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA HE'S HURT HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH), so getting out of the second round isn't really all that hard to do. The road to the Memmer is going through Kelowna no matter what, so it's just a matter of whether you face Edmonton or Calgary in the East finals. I'd pull for them over any other team in this shithole conference.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea, we are 23-9-3 within a lovely division, 16-16-3 outside it. I like your optimism, but we one mangy paper tiger.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

St. Dogbert posted:

I'm trying to feel bad about putting off my homework to go to the IceDogs game tonight, but I can't. Easily one of the most exciting games I've ever seen live.

Niagara may be fighting for the right to get blown out by Oshawa in the first round, but if they get there, they'll have earned it.

Good news for you then! Barrie beat Ottawa tonight so Niagara moved up to 7th with the win.

Suck it 67's. :smug:

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
The players are putting off their homework to play, so the least you can do is put off your homework to watch.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is anyone else blown away that Kyle Dubas' baby-faced fancy stats GMing actually managed to lead a team to the playoffs? This is a guy who traded about 8 draft picks for 32 games of .892Sv% Jack Campbell.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Good news for you then! Barrie beat Ottawa tonight so Niagara moved up to 7th with the win.

Suck it 67's. :smug:

North Bay, then? Maybe a bit closer, but I doubt we win a game there either - especially without Verhaeghe in the lineup after he inevitably gets suspended for that cross-check to the face he threw last night.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Weird stat courtesy of the AHL Penguins beat writer: Chuck Kobasew as a four-game point streak spanning nine years with his goal tonight. He had points in three games for Lowell, went to the NHL for nine years, and scored in his first game with Wilkes-Barre.

Somewhere, Jeremy Williams longs for a call-up to the Leafs.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, in their second year of operation since the crash, is about to take Dynamo Moscow to a game 7 in the KHL playoffs on the back of Curtis Sanford goaltending.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I know no one will care, but I just got back from the Cutthroats vs the Quad City Mallards in the CeHL and wow, it was an amazing game. Cutthroats scored two goals in the last five minutes to this, including the tying goal with three seconds left. I've never heard the Denver Colosseum so loud before. Thankfully Denver won in the shootout.

And we go back tomorrow for the home finale. :3:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
WHL Western Conference playoff matches set:

Kelowna-TriCity
Portland-Vanouver
Victoria-Spokane
Seattle-Everett (home ice not yet determined, both teams play tomorrow)

I hope the Royals can get by Spokane, because I'd love to see a Portland-Victoria matchup. Victoria is 1-3 against Spokane on the season, but three of those games happened in September and October before the team started to gel.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

toe knee hand posted:

WHL Western Conference playoff matches set:

Kelowna-TriCity
Portland-Vanouver
Victoria-Spokane
Seattle-Everett (home ice not yet determined, both teams play tomorrow)

I hope the Royals can get by Spokane, because I'd love to see a Portland-Victoria matchup. Victoria is 1-3 against Spokane on the season, but three of those games happened in September and October before the team started to gel.

With the Seattle-Everett series, the first games will alternate with Seattle getting game 1 & 3 and Everett getting game 2 & 4 due to their respective arenas being booked on the opposite days. Then whomever gets home ice advantage will have game 5 and alternate from there.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Oil Kings cinch 1st in the East for the third year in a row :toot:

WHL East matchups:

(1) Edmonton vs (8) Prince Albert/Red Deer]
(2) Regina vs (7) Brandon
(3) Calgary vs (6) Kootenay
(4) Medicine Hat vs (5) Swift Current

The only game game left that has any playoff relevance is Edmonton/Red Deer tomorrow. Edmonton beat Red Deer 7-4 today, if they beat them again tomorrow they'll play Prince Albert, if they lose it will be an Edmonton/Red Deer first round series.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

fits posted:

The only game game left that has any playoff relevance is Edmonton/Red Deer tomorrow. Edmonton beat Red Deer 7-4 today, if they beat them again tomorrow they'll play Prince Albert, if they lose it will be an Edmonton/Red Deer first round series.

One game playoff between Prince Albert and Red Deer if Red Deer wins, no?

"In the event two Clubs are tied in points for the last playoff position, then these Clubs will play a sudden-death game in the home arena of the Club having won the most games in WHL standings. If the Clubs are tied in wins, (a) will be used to select the home site."

From http://www.whl.ca/standings/show/ls_season/last/

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

DOOMocrat posted:

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, in their second year of operation since the crash, is about to take Dynamo Moscow to a game 7 in the KHL playoffs on the back of Curtis Sanford goaltending.

i see that sibir just eliminated ak bars on the back of still-technically-islanders-property mikko koskinen's goaltending, and that his numbers have been great all year.

come back to long island mikko you are definitely better than kevin poulin and anders nilsson :(

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Tyler Biggs is apparently a healthy scratch in the AHL. The sound of air being let out of a balloon.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Finnish League playoffs are now set. Teams seeded 1-6 got straight through and teams that finished 7-10 played a best-of-three series to determine the two leftover spots. To continue a loving crazy season, both Helsinki teams were eliminated as HPK beat KHL-bound Jokerit and Pelicans Lahti beat HIFK. Kärpät Oulu had a phenomenal season breaking the League's regular season points record and are the clear-cut favorite to win it this year. Finishing fourth this year was SaiPa Lappeenranta, a perennial small, likable and pesky team, which would be the SAS team of choice, bar none. Last year's champion Ässät had a severe case of championship hangover and finished only above the abysmal TPS Turku and KalPa Kuopio.

The last round of games owned all the bones as virtually EVERY PLACE from third to eleven were not set before the final games of the season.

The final standings of the regular season and the 1st round playoff pairs are as follows:

code:
		GP	W	OTW	OTL	L	GF	GA	DIFF	PTS
Kärpät		60	36	8	7	9	190	106	84	131
Tappara		60	31	8	7	14	168	128	40	116
Lukko		60	30	4	3	23	153	138	15	101
SaiPa	  	60	26	9	4	21	160	134	26	100
JYP		60	26	7	6	21	154	149	5	98
Blues		60	28	3	3	26	137	146	-9	93
-----------
Jokerit		60	25	5	8	22	156	145	11	93
Pelicans 	60	25	6	5	24	156	156	0	92
HIFK		60	25	4	5	26	147	145	2	88
HPK		60	22	9	3	26	140	136	4	87
-----------
Ilves		60	24	3	6	27	144	146	-2	84
Ässät		60	16	7	5	32	134	177	-43	67
TPS		60	12	6	11	31	135	197	-62	59
-----------
KalPa		60	12	3	9	36	101	172	-71	51
Wild Card playoffs:

Jokerit-HPK 0-2 (1-5, 3-2)
Pelicans-HIFK 2-0 (1-0 OT, 2-1 OT)

Playoffs, 1st round:

Kärpät-HPK
Tappara-Pelicans
Lukko-Blues
Saipa-JYP

larkko fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 17, 2014

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
This was a horrible season. Go to the arena just to drink overpriced beer and get angry. Hopefully Rautakallio will do better next season.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

toe knee hand posted:

One game playoff between Prince Albert and Red Deer if Red Deer wins, no?

"In the event two Clubs are tied in points for the last playoff position, then these Clubs will play a sudden-death game in the home arena of the Club having won the most games in WHL standings. If the Clubs are tied in wins, (a) will be used to select the home site."

From http://www.whl.ca/standings/show/ls_season/last/

This ended up happening. Although that rule page is kind of confusing because people read it alphabetically and assume (a) is the be-all end-all of the rules and then two points later they go "UNLESS!!!"

That said, Red Deer hosts PA tomorrow in Red Deer to determine who goes on to play 1st-seeded Edmonton. Red Deer stomped Edmonton 5-0 in the final game to force this elimination game, but it's possible the Oil Kings were resting their starters (and might prefer to play Red Deer anyways because it's an hour and a half drive instead of six).

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Reinhart, Jarry, Lazar, Samuelson all were scratches yesterday for Edmonton. So their #1D, two of their top scorers, and starting goalie. I'm sure it'll be a little different with them

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
Edmonton totally 2006 Swedened that game and I love them for it

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Pretty cool that there is a tiebreaker. I think it is only the 5th or 6th one ever, and second for the final playoff spot.

Looking forward to 2 or 3 Pats home games.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

Tyler Biggs is apparently a healthy scratch in the AHL. The sound of air being let out of a balloon.

I bought The Hockey News Future Watch 2014 today (I think I remember you saying you weren't a fan of their rankings), but here is what they had to say about Tyler Biggs: "Compared to Milan Lucic on draft day, Biggs is developing into more of a fourth-liner."

The worst part? Stuart Percy is a rank below Biggs: "Doesn't hit or score, but he possesses sufficient hockey IQ to become another Carl Gunnarsson."

The Leafs' 2011 draft looks even worse than it did on draft day. I thought Percy was a safe pick.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
percy is a 20yr old defenceman and was never expected to be a Big Point Guy but still had the hockey IQ and werewithal to be over .5ppg in jrs. biggs is a bust but percy could easily become an nhl defender

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I agree, I was just pointing out that Biggs is a spot above Percy in the rankings, despite Biggs being a bust. Not that the rankings are representative of how good a player is going to be, or whether they are going to make it to the NHL.

I still think Percy has a decent shot.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I agree, I was just pointing out that Biggs is a spot above Percy in the rankings, despite Biggs being a bust. Not that the rankings are representative of how good a player is going to be, or whether they are going to make it to the NHL.

I still think Percy has a decent shot.

I would be very suspicious of any ranking that slotted "possible Carl Gunnarson" below "aspiring tomato can."

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I would be very suspicious of any ranking that slotted "possible Carl Gunnarson" below "aspiring tomato can."

I just like their rankings because I don't follow prospects as intently as I used to, so they keep me mildly informed. I can say things like, "hm, that Josh Gibson kid looks like he's gonna be a helluva talent," and appear really, really, really smart.

Pronman is still my main man, though.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Twin Cinema posted:

I just like their rankings because I don't follow prospects as intently as I used to, so they keep me mildly informed. I can say things like, "hm, that Josh Gibson kid looks like he's gonna be a helluva talent," and appear really, really, really smart.

Pronman is still my main man, though.

You can still figure out what prospects are good/bad with like a few minutes of searching on the internet. I mean, THN made Jonathan Drouin their #1 prospect like that was some sort of reach. Plus, they put Anaheim at #1 which I don't totally get.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
wrong thread!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rebels vs Raiders will be freesies on the WHL Network streaming thing:

Starts tonight at 7PM MDT.
http://whl.ca/article/whl-to-webcast-tie-breaker-game-for-free

Hooray.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
2nd intermission and it's 3-2 Red Deer!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You had to open your mouth!

Game is pretty good. Bartosak is really good. Draisaitl is playing Kovalchuk minutes. Red Deer's PBP guy had like a 5 minute interview with Tim Murray from the Sabres during the 2nd intermission that was actually very solid.

e: Also it's endless OT, no shootouts like the regular season. Pretty sweet rule overall, this tie-breaker.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Prince Albert certainly ran things in that third period. Leon Draisaitl seems to be very good in proximity to the puck so long as he doesn't have to actually skate with it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

QMJHL first round
OHL first round
WHL first round

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

London/Windsor and Kingston/Peterborough should both be good first round.

Go Knights and go Otters (whose series should be a total snoozer)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
Congratulations to the Saskatoon Blades for winning the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery!

Except you traded away your 2014 first round pick to the Wheat Kings last year for an overager.

Congratulations to the Brandon Wheat Kings for winning the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery!

• Locked thread