Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They were probably just trying to balance the fact that, in many games where speed determines turn order, speed is king to the point where heavy classes become worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I managed to get all the emblems, but the only one that I really remember was Bullpen Ace, which I thought was funny.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tallgeese posted:

They were probably just trying to balance the fact that, in many games where speed determines turn order, speed is king to the point where heavy classes become worthless.

It's always either that or the stat that determines action points, depending on the game. "This stat decides if you do stuff with your other stats" is kind of tricky to balance for. Wasteland 2, when the beta launched, had a pretty good idea by spreading AP between a number of stats that did other stuff as well, so you had to try pretty hard to nerf your action points into uselessness or you'd have to make some serious concessions to get a lot, but then the turn order was assigned to a single stat that was wildly overpowered such that someone with two more points in the stat might get three turns before someone with a baseline stat got one.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I was just looking for an LP of this game! Ogre Battle 64 was one of my favorite time sinks back in the day, and I've been looking for that fun in other OgreBattle and Tactics games. Looking forward to playing along!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Honestly the original Ogre Battle is still my favorite. The Tactics Ogre games aren't well-paced (the mid to end game just grinds on and on and on to me), and I never got to play OB64. However, if I don't have to be the one playing them, they're all fun to see, so play on!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Awesome, I was hoping for an LP of this game. I'm loving H10W's LP of Tactics Ogre:LUCT but I haven't been able to locate a copy of this game so it'll all be new to me. Every iteration of battle mechanics and classes is fun to pick apart!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
My main complaint about this game is just how sloooooooooooooooow it is. Damage formulas are too low, animations are too slow, and some monsters just have way too much goddamn defense. It's okay on an emulator where you can throttle to 300% speed, but I played the game on a GBA and it got torturous at times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zurai posted:

Honestly the original Ogre Battle is still my favorite. The Tactics Ogre games aren't well-paced (the mid to end game just grinds on and on and on to me), and I never got to play OB64. However, if I don't have to be the one playing them, they're all fun to see, so play on!

And that's why I couldn't finish the PSP release. It just seems to go on and on.

I'd go back and finish it, except my psp went missing in the move.

edit: weird typo

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gosh, the people you conquered by force don't want to help you? WHO COULD HAVE KNOWN?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Vespa

Last time, we got official orders and some slick new options.

And I sorta lied. We'll take a quick look but darn it we won't be well-prepared!

So here's Mercury in all his splendor. His stats (all five of them) are influenced by that old quiz. You can veer physical, magical, or get a well-rounded duder like Mercury. I'll go over classes at some point, but suffice to say Soldier is the bottom of the barrel.

And here's his emblem collection. Every character earns emblems individually, of which there are 32. That fancy scroll is the Book of Initiation Merc earned last time, but that weird halo sword hasn't yet popped up! See, one of the personality quiz questions also determines which emblem Mercury begins with. This one here is Miracle, which you get for dodging an attack at critical health. It also has the added bonus of boosting your critical hit rate. Considering Merc's the hero and all, this is convenient to have now. He can also start with Fist Fight (eh), Embodiment of Desires (eh), and Arbitration (pretty good), but we haven't earned those yet!

New people! Despite his force being too small to split, Rictor did give us four starting dudes.

Exactly who you get is also determined by the quiz, though Allos and Flauros are always the exact same right down to their names, which is kinda cool. Anyway, we got...

Fast guy!

Healy guy! We could have also ended up with a wizard like Mullin and/or an archer like garbage.

But enough of that we gotta get moving! And no I'm definitely not trying to cram organization-type stuff all into one update goodness no.

Vespa is a hill. Very hilly. But suddenly!

Haha you have no idea!

I will never forgive you for all that I lost 15 years ago. You burned down my town and killed my parents!!! Thankfully, I've acquired the skills of a soldier.

but that was a long time ago...

Mercury I don't know what they taught you at rich people boot camp but that was not the right answer.

It's long forgotten for the victor, but we still endure the painful memories... Words can't describe it. Does everyone in Lodis think as you do? Knowing your ancestors' merciless deeds, don't you feel any remorse? And to repeat the same mistakes again? The teachings of Lodis are said to be sacred, but in the end they are simply the rationalizations of the subjugator.

Um, anyway, since we have troops now, we get to deploy them. Battles will usually be 8 on 8, though you can see Ivanna isn't counting against our total (not that it'd make any difference).

I move everyone up a bit. KoL's battle system is just a tad slow and every little bit helps!

We are slightly outnumbered and outleveled, but Cressida's unfocused formation helps us out.

The Plan, as it were, is to keep the fighting around the rock and shrubs and use the natural cover to offset our numbers.

Mother, Father... Give me strength. I will avenge you!!!

Why do I feel like the bad guy? :(

develop their unique strengths to help you clear stages. When characters die, revive them with items or spells. If you leave them dead and clear the stage, they will be lost forever.

We're officially out of the tutorial! Naturally if Mercury dies, that's it.

firstturn.png, though Kamui shows off his ninja speed.

Meanwhile, Cressida gets revenge by...running away? :confused:

One strategy is to persuade enemies to join your troops. But, don't assume everyone will be persuaded. Foes with high HP usually won't listen. Furthermore, some of your characters may be more persuasive than others.

Ivanna what are you even doing here. Uh anyway, that's why enemies gain experience! If you're too cheap to hire more soldiers, you can just steal some. Unfortunately, leaders and enemy-only classes like Bandits can't be persuaded. Also the persuader's class pretty heavily affects their chances. For the most part, only like classes have much luck recruiting each other. When we get them, higher tiered classes have better chances of persuading their lower equivalents, like Knights to Soldiers, and obviously Beast Tamers are good at taming beasts.

You can't recruit anyone without beating them up a little, which is kinda weird but whatever!

Anyway, our unpreparedness is showing a bit, but it's okay.

It's good for you! Though that counterattack seemed kinda strong... She shot a bow earlier.

I actually didn't remember the game did this so early. Soldiers don't have a preferred weapon so it's kinda hard to intuit what they'll be doing, especially when they just shrug and go for melee and range.

Ninjas can also mix it up at any range and even invoke some Final Fantasy to cast basic elemental magic. Kamui could whack people with his sword or throw shuriken from afar, but ninja arts magic is his best bet for now.

Hey that wasn't supposed to go there! Projectiles of any kind (basic magic, arrows, y'know) need a clear path to their target. It's totally possible to accidentally shoot a buddy in the back, but of course the computer never has to deal with this.

Anyway, we get a decent defensive line set up, and Alberich sits tight like a good healer.

Yeesh. These bandits hit non-Mercurys hard and are definitely the priority target. I could see this mission giving people trouble without a cleric.

Of course it's hard to take you seriously when you run away!

Case in point. Ivanna has apparently made herself the rearguard.

Ninjas are cool I promise! Also they're kinda squishy so I didn't wanna leave him in the middle of the fray.

Alberich's definitely pulling his weight better, though. Oh yeah, magic! Look at that little red MP bar. Everyone starts every battle with 0 MP for the first turn and gains 10 MP every turn after. Considering nobody does anything on the first turn, this works out pretty well. Basic spells like Ice Javelin and Heal only cost 8 each, so Kamui and Alberich are good to go.

Yeah no that's not a good idea. Flauros waits instead.

One of the bandits also has a bow, and so all the enemies have neatly divided themselves between long and close range.

Sorta. He had a bow earlier!

Seeing we're outnumbered, Ivanna continues to help.

Allos has much better luck with persuasion this time.

But we aren't here for mercy!

Kamui finally hits something!

Bleh. Healing isn't that good for the exp business, so healers have to branch out if they wanna keep up.

While she's content to chill in the back, Ivanna's higher level does make her a target for the enemy, so she is helping a little bit.

No mercy for bandits. :smith:

And while everyone else is slowly evening the odds, Ivanna can't even do her self-appointed job!

Naturally, enemies can also earn emblems! This one just got Sniper, for five successful bow shots in a row. It is not a requirement for Archer, instead boosting agility.

We're holding our own thanks to Alberich, but Ivanna (and all knights) can use basic healing magic to help you out. Whenever she feels like actually using it.

And that's the melee guys down. Really what the enemy has in levels, we make up for by actually focusing on one or two targets.

Now begins fun times and chasing down archers. We could just go straight for Cressida (who's still hiding away), but eh.

It's not bloodthirsty if they started it!

Cressida enters the fray! And really hammers in how bad archers are compared to the glory days.

But we finally have her cornered and can end-

Hey!

Great now Ivanna's gonna steal the experience. :mad:

Okay, that's fine.

Now you're literally cornered and-

Stop doing that!

Finally. Kamui redeems himself with the killing javelin.

Never forget... You can fool yourself with your rationalizations, but eventually you'll suffer the consequences. Oh...Mother...Father...

This isn't really dissimilar from how LUCT opens, except Mercury's no Lans. :smith:

---

I already know you're a spy though? Seriously what are you doing here.

I told you that I used to be in the White Fang Troops. Their size doesn't compare to the troops of Lodis, but they were the personal troops of the Lord of Rananculus.
I heard that the Batraal Family gained their power during the early settlement of Ovis.
Now they rule the northern region. They are descendants of the colonists who left Galicia 400 years ago and settled in Rananculus with other foreigners. The troops were formed to defend against the wild beasts and demi-humans of the frontier, and to cultivate the land.
Why did you leave? Do you know anything about the current conflict?
I left to uncover the truth about my father's death...and to avenge him.

daughter of the former Lord of Rananculus.

Oh! Yeah of course! What did I say?

I've heard it's apparently polite in Japan to repeat what someone just said, as opposed to Mercury just being slow.

My uncle, Naris, became lord after my father died of illness 15 years ago.
15 years ago...the year of the Reformation. The island became the territory of the Holy Lodis Empire and was placed under the rule of Felis...
That's correct. The Order of the Sacred Flame was sent to represent Felis. Southern Ovis refused to accept Lodisism so the military forced them to convert. But in Rananculus, my father signed a peace treaty with their leader, and we were able to avoid a conflict.

As seen in the opening!

My father died late that year. My mother told me it was a heart-attack, and I believed her at first. However, a few years later, I heard a rumor that he was killed by my uncle.

Something is rotten in the state of Ovis!

Wait. Wasn't the leader of those troops at that time...

:monocle:

Does your uncle still have contact with Felis?
I don't know, but my uncle was strongly against the treaty. He excelled in the use of both the pen and the sword. My father, however, was quiet and always ill. But my father was lord and heir. My uncle may have been jealous of my father, who stood to inherit everything.

Mercury, I want to know the truth of my father's death and to confront my uncle. Please, may I accompany you? My uncle must be behind all this, pursuing some ulterior motive.

Oh fine, but I'm keeping an eye on you! Ivanna is now (thankfully) no longer a Guest.

Yes. Let's go together. It's encouraging to have you fight alongside us. I know little of this island. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
If my uncle had found out that I suspected him, the lives of my mother and sister would've been in danger. So with the help of my sword instructor, who had taken care of me since I was small, I left the troops and hid here.

And that's that.

Now we have our orders and we could pfffttt hahaha who am I kidding. Next time, we leave Rictor hanging and start getting Organized.

---
Ivanna Official Art

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 17, 2014

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure all the starting characters are hard-coded in and don't change if you were to duplicate the results of the quiz. My very first playthrough I had the exact same party except a female Cleric named Thelma. But the numerous times I've played I usually end up with Allos and Flauros. I know I've seen Alberich before as well.

If I remember, each answer in the opening quiz will assign you positive points, negative points, or none at all. Your outcome depends on the range you fall into. So a final score of, hypothetically, -3 to 0 points would net you a different start than -7 to -4 or +1 to +3 But knowing how to force a party kind of takes some of the fun out.

Also, I love the low quality "Fight it out" voice that plays on the map.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Cressida :argh:

...sorry, wrong one. But let's just say there are some bad, bad memories associated with that name in TO.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I'm pretty sure all the starting characters are hard-coded in and don't change if you were to duplicate the results of the quiz. My very first playthrough I had the exact same party except a female Cleric named Thelma. But the numerous times I've played I usually end up with Allos and Flauros. I know I've seen Alberich before as well.

If I remember, each answer in the opening quiz will assign you positive points, negative points, or none at all. Your outcome depends on the range you fall into. So a final score of, hypothetically, -3 to 0 points would net you a different start than -7 to -4 or +1 to +3 But knowing how to force a party kind of takes some of the fun out.

This is correct! You can get four different starting groups of four characters:
-Ninja, Archer, Soldier, Soldier, Physical Mercury (4 to 6 points)
-Wizard, Archer, Soldier, Soldier, Balanced Mercury (1 to 3 points)
-Ninja, Cleric, Soldier, Soldier, Balanced Mercury (-3 to 0 points, this is what we got)
-Wizard, Cleric, Soldier, Soldier, Magical Mercury (-6 to -4 points)

There's a male and female unit of each class you can end up with, which makes ten total characters. Since you always get two soldiers, everyone gets Allos and Flauros but the gender of your other two seems to be random! Their stats, however, are identical, so you only need to worry about gender if you're deadset on using the starting guys in a specific final team, since gender is the main determinant of one's advanced class selection.

Additionally, the first, third, and sixth questions determine Mercury's element, and the second, fourth, and fifth determine his alignment. We actually had a three-way tie for our element, so getting Wind was pure chance. The second question, about paths, pulls triple duty and also determines which emblem you start with. I can break down exactly which answer choices do what, if there's any interest in that, but yeah planning out your answers definitely removes the mystique!

Looper fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 11, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Funny thing is this is easily the simplest game mechanic wise in the Ogre series.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When enemies get emblems they start from zero getting them, right?

Are there any that are really bad for them to get?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

There are some, like Sniper and a couple others we haven't seen yet but for the most part the emblems that affect stats require very specific circumstances to unlock, which the AI can't really do on its own.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Glazius posted:

There is the Don Quixote emblem which lowers the unit's intelligence. You get it for suffering a counterattack that takes off the majority of your health.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Looper posted:

Why do I feel like the bad guy? :(

It's kind of hard to feel too sorry for these idiots given that their leader's so hell bent on revenge that she sics her group of marauders on a "knight" who the story indicates is barely out of basic, for a crime that happened 15 years ago (when he was at best a few years old). I mean, what have they been doing all this time? Have they been scouring the countryside for signs of people from Lodis, brutally attacking them in retaliation for crimes that they are at best tangentially related to?

Sure, it's not unheard of behavior, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

It's kind of hard to feel too sorry for these idiots given that their leader's so hell bent on revenge that she sics her group of marauders on a "knight" who the story indicates is barely out of basic, for a crime that happened 15 years ago (when he was at best a few years old). I mean, what have they been doing all this time? Have they been scouring the countryside for signs of people from Lodis, brutally attacking them in retaliation for crimes that they are at best tangentially related to?

Sure, it's not unheard of behavior, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

They're working on a basic gameplay lever and attacking the newbies first so they can get stronger to then work their way up to stronger levels of knight. :v:

I tried this game once and gave up on it when I saw all of the tile stuff and didn't understand what was going on with the stats and stuff. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance spoiled me on convenience for gameplay. I'm glad to see someone playing the game the right way because it seemed pretty interesting.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glazius posted:

For the most part! Enemies in advanced classes will actually have whichever emblem required (Swordmasters and Book of Initiation, for example), but otherwise they start with as many as any non-protagonist. It'd kinda suck to get temporarily locked out of your own class.

There are only a handful of emblems with negative effects, and yeah as Sunning said, Don Quixote is the only one the AI has any real chance of getting. That said, the Int penalty is only ten points, so it's not debilitatingly bad or anything in the long run.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Looper posted:

FThere are only a handful of emblems with negative effects, and yeah as Sunning said, Don Quixote is the only one the AI has any real chance of getting. That said, the Int penalty is only ten points, so it's not debilitatingly bad or anything in the long run.

Amusingly, if memory serves, it's a requirement for the (enemy-only) Barbarian class.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

theshim posted:

Cressida :argh:

...sorry, wrong one. But let's just say there are some bad, bad memories associated with that name in TO.

All the necromancers in TO are terrible, from Nybeth's first battle ("My time is precious, but :words: ") to Cressida to the PotD. When I saw the name, I was really worried for a moment. I guess Cressida is just a common name in XyZeteginia.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Last time there were enough twists and turns to make an owl's head spin! What could possibly happen next??

Well, we could go and "accomplish" our "mission" and I guess "advance" the "storyline," oooor we could take a nice walk through 40% of any Ogre Battle game.

The Organize Screen! This is where you do almost everything not related to fighting. Since Ivanna deigned to take orders from us last time, let's see what she's got.

Despite her AI, Ivanna is pretty much our best character now! Knights are solid physical fighters who can heal from the front lines and get the best out of heavy equipment. They're kinda slow and have a bit of an allergy to magic, but nobody's perfect.

So yeah, stats! Each character really only has five stats: HP, MP, Strength, Intelligence, and Agility. The first two are pretty obvious, but Str and Int each pull double-duty and influence your offensive and defensive capabilities for physical and magical attacks, respectively. Agi affects your accuracy, evasion, and movement range. All of them also play a role in your class options; you have to statistically qualify for stuff. Knight, for example, requires 51 Str and 53 Agi, so Ivanna's kinda cheating just a little bit!

Those sword and staff icons are the actual numbers used in battle formulas: physical attack, physical defense, magical attack, and magical defense. Those are all also affected by class, so while making Ivanna a Wizard wouldn't immediately change her base stats, her battles stats would change.

who attack head on. Required to become a Knight.

The Knight class also happens to require an emblem, but thankfully that one is practically impossible for a melee character to miss. Just get counterattacked 15 times!

Getting to the meat of things, look at all those options! Item's kind of a disingenuous name, this's actually the equipment menu.

We've still got some work to do on that count.

I do snatch Ivanna's long sword and put it on Mercury, and you can see how much of a difference better/heavier gear can make.

I also distribute some of the loot we've found. Ivanna and Flauros get franciscas and Allos takes the great bow. In KoL, characters of any class can actually equip anything. Class instead just determines what someone naturally favors.

So you could give your mage a sword buuut it won't help too much. And yeah, unfortunately dual wielding isn't a thing. I'm not sure if you can give someone such amazing/lovely armor that they can't move but I'm definitely gonna try.

Anyway, magic has the same sort of menu, though our options on that front aren't great right now. Also I was kinda sorta wrong about MP costs last time, oops. Missile spells like Ice Javelin and Fireball only cost 6 and AoE spells like Thunder Flare cost 12. Woah wait, you cry, they have the same power! AoE spells are super cool since they ignore obstacles and can potentially hit up to five spaces, hence the higher cost. That said, you don't actually get the AoE effect until the caster's Int is high enough, so Kamui sticks with ice.

Here's the fun stuff, Class Change! Classes are split into several different, mostly mutually exclusive categories based on gender and race. The game helpfully tells you how many of a thing you have and how many you can have, as well as listing base mobility info. A class won't show up here until you have someone capable of becoming it. Not shown: Wizards.

Most of the beginning classes don't care about gender, but the rest aren't so equal opportunity. The Beast Tamer here is male-only, because apparently only buff macho manly men can handle angry cat-birds and dogs with serious DID.

Meanwhile, only ladies can handle dragons. Motherfucking DRAGONS. And they apparently tame them by wearing their skulls. Sorry boys.

Class influences quite a bit. Since equipment doesn't change, you can see simply being a ninja changes your defense and mobility. Mercury stays a soldier though because I'm silly.

This looks ominous.

OH NO NO WAIT

Just kidding haha jokes! Since your squad can only fit 32 people, sometimes you might have to make some hard decisions and kick some benchwarmers out. You're only dismissing them, pay no attention to the skull-and-crossbones. Strangely, despite being a special character somewhat related to the plot, you can totally kick Ivanna out.

Unfortunately there's no special ending where Merc just shrugs and goes home.

Our last real option is a rather detailed sorting method, just in case your team doesn't consist of the first eight people you meet. Pretty handy.

The actual last option is the real item menu where you can...look at your expendable items. Eh.

Anyway, while this game lacks a Warren/Hugo Report where you can run background checks and read up on lore, it does have this.

If you're playing the game and have questions about pretty much anything, you'll find some kind of answer here, courtesy of the best guy. Unfortunately that means Pumpkinheads aren't a playable class in this game.

I know. :negative:

In case you haven't noticed, this is basically The Menu Update. Sorry! But yeah every town area has a shop.

It's where you uh, buy stuff.

What a fine selection!

More importantly, shops are also where you get more recruits. Yeah, persuasion lets you get dudes for free, but hiring lets you give them goofy names and let's be real here.

Every shop lets you choose from soldiers of either gender and a random non-human. We can hire Hawkmen here, an Ogre Battle staple. The shop in Solea offers dragons of dubious origin.

When you try to hire someone, you get to select their starting level for a small premium. This is really handy at the end of the game for obvious reasons, but do keep in mind that all those levels will be Soldier levels. Also you can't hire someone of a higher level than anyone currently in your squad.

Then you pick an element. Alignment is unfortunately random.

Huh, y'know in retrospect that's a really weird name, I'm not sure what I was thinking. And apparently hiring someone's loyalty means fudging their birth certificate. Same eight character limit as the protagonist.

And that's all there is to it! Or it would be, but I need to save my money for goon hires so-

Oh. Uh, whoops! Welcome to the team, Denise.

Anyway, there's one final option here for us. Definitely not the least, but probably the silliest.

Training lets you set up mock fights for experience in whichever area you happen to be sitting on. You can do this pretty much anywhere, and it's the only way to see town battlefields after their plot appearances.

Just set up your dudes like any old fight. Let's see what Debra can do. But who could the enemy possibly be??

Yep! And because you're not going to the fantasy gym like in OB64, training is completely free. The townspeople are totally okay with constant street brawls. It's kinda cool seeing the enemy palette for special characters, though.

The battle then plays out like usual, except you're in control of both sides. But who cares about beating each other up, Kamui has a secret mission. A ninja mission.

See, loot doesn't only come from corpses, it's also buried in the ground, invisible until stepped on. Because of this tile's height, Kamui's the only one who can reach it thanks to his water-walking.

Buried Dragon Shield acquired!

Nice! Every map has an assortment of buried treasures. While most of them are randomly drawn from a pool of standard stuff, a few are pre-determined. These special items tend to range from 'really good' to 'holy poo poo'. And no, you probably won't find too many without a guide.

Now, as you might imagine, fighting yourself isn't terribly thrilling. However, when you get bored enough to quit a training session, you might notice a new option on the menu.

Com is short for computer. After all, why grind levels when you could just have the computer do it for you? Just make yourself a sandwich or something, go for a walk!

Hey good work, team! Let's call it a day.

Like I said, you can train just about anywhere you've been, even if a battle hasn't occurred there. This is Solea, though it doesn't seem like Eleanor's home.

Anyway, that's enough fooling around. Rictor's counting on us! Next time we'll finally get to that fortress an-

Oh god damnit sorry Rictor!

---

I want you to be a Knight of Lodis. Enlist now!
If you want to fulfill all your wildest dreams, just say so! If your name doesn't fit into eight (8) characters, I'll take liberties, but yeah go hog wild. Feel free to request an element and a class, though if we haven't seen a given class/race yet (which is likely), I'd like to ask that you put it in spoiler tags. In the interest of fairness, I'm going to handle this on a first-come first-serve basis, and in the interest of not being boring, favor variety in class selections. Also I only have 3000g right now so patience may be necessary. :v:

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 17, 2014

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I'll throw my hat in, I don't care as what.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tallgeese (it can be hacked in!) or Geese if needed.

Male Lich, Virtue element. Use the Divine Lich strategy at the end (AKA abuse Ripple Staff after Ray of Paralysis).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 18, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Eh, sure I'll be a soldier. Why not? Do whatever you want with him. Er, me.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 18, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm in, Either male chaotic Dragoon or a Warlock, whichever works better. Feel free to just shorten it to TARDIS or TARDISmn, again, whatever floats your boat. Don't care about element as long as it's not Earth, I'm not a fan of its emblem.
EDIT: If I ever outlive my usefulness or you need to add another goon, I'm 100% ok with becoming a Snapdragon :getin:.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 18, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Deneb! What an unusual name. I have no idea where this is going! :angel:

Looper, good job with the LP so far. I like that you're able to give a lightweight but good explanation of the mechanics. Glad to hear you're going to prefer different classes too; hope you'll be able to show off some interesting things. Instead of submitting a character, I ask that you use non-humans when you can!

Looking forward to the rest of the LP!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I'm in! I'll take a male human, Air element and Swordmaster if you can.

Too bad there's no lizardmen :black101:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Put me in coach, name as Krysm because the last time someone did this I don't think Krysmphoenix could fit.

As for the class and stuff... I don't care what you make me, but Snapdragon me! I will live again!

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

What, no one wants to be a Hawkman? Who doesn't want to fly around? I must be the only one.

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 18, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Count me in. I want to be an angel :angel:. Or, you know, whatever class you find handy on the way to that.

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
David or MSonichu. Warlock.

AoE magic is more expensive, but it's also 100% accurate (as opposed to missile spells).

Metal Sonichu fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 19, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What's the most gimmicky, almost-completely-useless-yet-still-worthwhile-in-edge-case-scenarios character type?

Because I'll take one of those, please. Shorten the name as you see fit. I SHALL LEAD THE WAY TO THE BENCHWARMERS!

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 18, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, the traditional goon soldiers. Make me whichever beastie seems most appropriate for my username.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sign me up as fooly in whatever class you need.

Ghrimalkin
Jan 5, 2012
I always wanted to be a knight of Lodis. Put me down as a Dragon Tamer, If you need one later.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Okay so I might have maybe figured out how to get enemy-only classes? Just putting that out there.

Metal Sonichu posted:

David or MSonichu. Warlock.

AoE magic is more expensive, but it's also 100% accurate (as opposed to missile spells).
And you should follow directions!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Looper posted:

Okay so I might have maybe figured out how to get enemy-only classes? Just putting that out there.

If I recall, some don't work properly or are otherwise buggy.

I THINK Dark Angel works though, but don't call me on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll throw my hat in as whatever the tankiest class available is. I wanna be the guy to take punches in the face that you don't want your other units taking. :v:

• Locked thread