Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
While I was watching that preview I was feeling like I had literally seen all of those jokes and gags before. It was a very underwhelming watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
For those unfamiliar with it, here's the pilot for Peabody's Improbable History plus a Fractured Fairy Tale. It's a clear goof on Lassie and how she's smarter than anyone else in her show. Chunks turn up in the movie, including starting on Peabody doing yoga and the final line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owB6zFSZbng

The pilot's unusual, in that it focuses on Sherman and Peabody at all. Usually it's just running through history casting puns to the winds. Samples!
Great Wall of China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdPURdzSb74
Lord Cornwallis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E8zmaOiCVw
Ludwig von Beethoven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnmiwo79aTg
Edgar Allen Poe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm_1L27JGFg

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Well... none of the jokes really hit home (heh), but I read that book when I was a kid and I felt obligated to like it out of sheer nostalgia? And I especially like that the short was basically The Plight Of The Alien Blob Hebrews. But that gives the book uncomfortable undertones seeing as the Boov have taken over the Earth in a hostile invasion... :psyduck:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have been cooped up all weekend doing computer jazz and listening to piano renditions of songs from animated movies by a Youtube dude:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Little Mermaid (w/ violin)
Beauty and the Beast (duet)
Anastasia
Tangled
Mulan
Spirited Away
Pocahontas
And though not in with the theme, Skyrim
Pianos make me feel like my heart's gonna burst. :syoon:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Das Boo posted:

I have been cooped up all weekend doing computer jazz and listening to piano renditions of songs from animated movies by a Youtube dude:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Little Mermaid (w/ violin)
Beauty and the Beast (duet)
Anastasia
Tangled
Mulan
Spirited Away
Pocahontas
And though not in with the theme, Skyrim
Pianos make me feel like my heart's gonna burst. :syoon:

Oh my god these are incredible, thanks for the links.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Traxus IV posted:

Oh my god these are incredible, thanks for the links.

Certainly!
If anyone else has found some neat renditions of the like, please feel free to post them. I will love you. :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey, was there ever any info about why Roger reacts the way he does to Jack Daniels (or whatever it was) in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Cause I guess it could be as simple as cartoons react weird to alcohol cause they're cartoons but maybe it's some other thing like what's in it, kind of like how The Dip was just paint thinner?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Macaluso posted:

Hey, was there ever any info about why Roger reacts the way he does to Jack Daniels (or whatever it was) in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Cause I guess it could be as simple as cartoons react weird to alcohol cause they're cartoons but maybe it's some other thing like what's in it, kind of like how The Dip was just paint thinner?

My closest guess is - it's not very common, but some cartoons show characters reacting to a similar matter to Gargle Blasters-like concoctions - Daffy and Porky turn green and go stiff as a board in one western theme cartoon, and the wolf in one droopy short - "the shooting of dan mcgoo" goes off like a rocket and then yells at the Bartender about cutting it.

EDIT: Does the Wolf even have a name?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: Does the Wolf even have a name?
His name is apparently just McWolf, according to Frank Welker's appearances as him in the '90s.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Good news everyone! Princess Kaguya just went from "there's no way we're going to get this in the US" to "US release confirmed"

quote:

GKIDS announced that they have licensed Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata's (Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko) The Tale of The Princess Kaguya for North American release. The film will be released in the U.S. this fall and will be submitted for Oscar qualification.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/12/gkids-to-distribute-studio-ghiblis-the-tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-in-north-america

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes! I am so happy right now!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yessss! That's awesome news!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh poo poo, that's fantastic. The animation for that movie is mindboggling and I thought I'd have no chance of seeing it on a big screen.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why was there concern it wouldn't see a North American release? It's Ghibli.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of Ghibli, I was able to see The Wind Rises last night. Granted, it was in a tiny screening room in a locally-owned theater and it was the subtitled version, but still. Saw it. Not Miyazaki's absolute best, but still a real fitting capstone to an illustrious career, if this is truly the end of it. There were times where it felt like Miyazaki was looking back over his entire career and what came of it. The dream scene with Caproni talking about his final design and how artists are only creative for ten years especially felt like Miyazaki was talking directly to the audience and saying goodbye. The film really touched me as an artist, being about the beauty of inspiration, and I feel that Jiro was chosen as a subject because Miyazaki related to him a fair bit. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. It seems like the only movies I cry at nowadays are cartoons.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Ballz posted:

Why was there concern it wouldn't see a North American release? It's Ghibli.

A couple of reasons, really. It took a long time for anyone to pick it up, it isn't targeted towards kids, it isn't Miyazaki, and the animation style is highly 'artistic', which isn't a good thing when it comes to the US market.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I figure if Poppy Hill can see a US theatrical release, then any Ghibli movie from this point on is a given.

Although I am a bit surprised we're starting to see Ghibli films being distributed by companies other than Disney. Did their partnership end or something?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Only Yesterday never got a US release :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That's why I qualified my post with "from this point on." Sadly, I'm not sure if there's a big theatrical draw for a 20-year-old movie whose target audience is menopausal Japanese women.

...I kid, Only Yesterday loving rules and I have it on R3 Taiwanese DVD. I have no idea why Disney would release a movie about raccoons and their giant magical testicles, but never did anything with this.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
probably cause of

I mean it's obviously much less family friendly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always thought the balls-happy Pom Poko would never be on DVD in the states. Little did I realize.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I always thought the balls-happy Pom Poko would never be on DVD in the states. Little did I realize.

They call them "pouches" so it's totally cool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They call them "pouches" so it's totally cool.

Technically true, still balls.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
First Peanuts still (a teaser will air on Good Morning America tomorrow):

I think they've captured the style very well. I'm glad they didn't go full CGI with it - given the Schulz family is very protective with the property I would imagine they wouldn't want to stray too far from the distinctive style.

ETA: As a Peanuts purist, I'm a bit on the fence about the fact they'll show the Little Red Haired Girl (since Snoopy's poodle girlfriend from a TV special is involved, I'm guessing it's the same one from the TV specials). I'm glad they're using Bill Melendez's Snoopy voice, though.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait, WHAT?!

They're making a PEANUTS movie?!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, WHAT?!

They're making another PEANUTS movie?!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FNL_iIp5c

The animation style they chose looks fantastic. It reminds me of stop-motion clay animation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh wow that does look really nice. It's a really nice hybrid of the Peanuts style and CG.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, WHAT?!

They're making a PEANUTS movie?!

I didn't know they were still making it, the last I heard about it was at least 5 years ago. I'm genuinely impressed at how non-poo poo it looks when it could've gone so horribly, horribly wrong.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

mobo85 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FNL_iIp5c

The animation style they chose looks fantastic. It reminds me of stop-motion clay animation.

This teaser makes me smile uncontrollably, absolutely perfect style of animation.

it really goes to show Charles Schulz genius in his cartooning that everything about his style really has a whole life of it's own and how it moves.

We should probably do a 'let's watch' of the old peanuts movie where charlie brown goes to France to visit a mystery relative.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whenever I see a long roll of cuban or whatever bread, I always think of the Charlie Brown where he's trying to get the bread through the door and it keeps breaking in half and he has to buy a new one. I mean I must have seen that Charlie Brown France movie like one time when I was 5 but that scene still sticks out to me

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Macaluso posted:

Whenever I see a long roll of cuban or whatever bread, I always think of the Charlie Brown where he's trying to get the bread through the door and it keeps breaking in half and he has to buy a new one. I mean I must have seen that Charlie Brown France movie like one time when I was 5 but that scene still sticks out to me

yesss exactly, the scene was that he was trying to fit a long rear end french bread into a tiny Citroen car (the famous boxy one from the 60's), that scene was awesome. I also distinctly recall the scenes of the hovercraft and the visit to Normandy. i havent seen that movie in literally 20 years.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Macaluso posted:

Oh wow that does look really nice. It's a really nice hybrid of the Peanuts style and CG.
All the studios seem to be starting to realize that you have to intentionally add imperfection and roughness to CG to make it look warm and human. Things like shooting on 2's and adding fake line boil. :allears: :3:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well it immediately hit my nostalgia of watching the Charlie Brown Christmas in December, and It's the Great Pumpkin during October. I wonder if they'll go with the traditional way peanuts special did voice acting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

neonnoodle posted:

All the studios seem to be starting to realize that you have to intentionally add imperfection and roughness to CG to make it look warm and human. Things like shooting on 2's and adding fake line boil. :allears: :3:

Yeah, I'm pretty amazed at how quickly they're starting to diversify. Even a few movies I haven't liked as movies have been incredible from a technical standpoint. Leagues and leagues.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sequels to The Incredibles (Yay!) and Cars (Of course) are in development.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's a mistake to shift gears to sequels.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Incredibles is disappointing since I don't think they can top it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pick posted:

I think it's a mistake to shift gears to sequels.

Agreed. Most of the sequels they've done have been good (especially Toy Story 3) but I've always loved the originality of stuff like Wall-E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Franchises tend to peter out in such a way that they leave a bad taste.

• Locked thread