Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

A.C. posted:

There are two reasons it isn't working well right now
1) Someone said the invader actually has to exist in their invaded world for a full three minutes before you're summoned

I can confirm this isn't true, from the invader's end. I've invaded with a cracked red eye orb and received the message about a blue phantom being summoned within 60 seconds -- probably took another 30 seconds or so for him to show up, to account for his loading screen. Also, when he DOES show up, some kind of blue sparkly stuff flies out of your (invading) character and floats towards whereever he was summoned. Not sure if it does something special or if its purpose is just to show you where he is and vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

I know. I get that. And I've said a good 5 times now I don't mind that. I don't mind Dark Souls 2 isn't Dark Souls 1. I don't mind them being different and complimentary.

I've even said that I LIKE having more variety in areas, several times now.

But every other zone other than Iron Keep at least makes SOME kind of general loving sense, even if you were to add up the steps taken and maybe the distances don't make sense the way they did in DS1, that's fine.

But Iron Keep doesn't even make remotely any sense. Its not a question of distance, its not like I took a 10 foot elevator and ended up in the heavens, I would be okay with that.

I don't mind that Heide's is further away than it should be, whatever. That's a tiny detail, I'm not counting footsteps.

But you can't even loving see the Iron Keep, and that doesn't make any sense at all. There is no conceivable reason you can't see Iron Keep from Harvest Valley, other than "they forgot" or "they cut a zone that was supposed to transition you", which is really awkward.

When you go from Heide's to No Man's Warf, maybe they're further away than they should be, but at least you're travelling down and through some caves horizontally and you end up in some big cove, it makes sense. Earlier you were out on the shore, now you're in a cove. Makes total sense.

But you go from poison valley to poison fortress and suddenly lava castle out of nowhere.

If they had you walk through a tunnel at the back of the boss from Earthen Peak I could even buy that, even if the tunnel was really short. But why an elevator upwards? It just makes no sense.

Alright, alright, I get it, too much :goonsay: I'll shut up now

It bothers me too, but basically you just have to deal. Maybe they'll put something in a patch to explain it, but in all likelihood, they won't and they don't particularly need to.

As I said, the most plausible explanation is that there is a mountain behind the Earthen Rise that you can't really see, and that the Queen's chamber connects to it, and an elevator that rises up to the Keep.

Note: if the Keep was built atop a mountain that was a dormant volcano, it would explain the poison gas in Harvest Valley as gaseous offshoots or high sulphur concentrations or something--as well as the rich ore seams.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
You'll need two rings you buy from the cat but there is lore reason for their being a long elevator ride to Iron Keep.

Read your item descriptions!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What's up with the hitbox on the four-legged beasts in the Gutter?

It's like their entire bodies are just made of pain. They attack to the front, and you take damage if you're standing behind them.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect the connection is intended, but at the same time I feel that it's a reflection of a reflection of a reflection remade and destroyed through countless times rather than just "It's the same place years later." It's classical mythology, of course, the grandeur of greater days fading a bit each time as a cycle of creation and destruction occurs.

Pertaining to this: If you go into the church where you fight the Old Dragonslayer and look at the statues, the bodies look very, very similar to the statues of Gwyn and others back in Anor Londo. However, the heads look different. They look like eagles or some kind of bird, and it looks like they're made of a different kind of stone, or stone that hasn't weathered down as much. My guess is that it's a place that has just been built upon over and over again and eventually was swallowed by the sea. Not to mention, just a short boat/crow ride away is The Old Bastille, which literally has the undead parish in the middle of it, with even more rear end in a top hat gargoyles and a bell of awakening that you get to ring again!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So what are you bets on what stuff is going to get patched first? I heard lots of people say the life and soul protection rings, but I think those are pretty much working as intended and will probably see their repair costs go up rather than get patched into being one use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You'll need two rings you buy from the cat but there is lore reason for their being a long elevator ride to Iron Keep.

Read your item descriptions!

Oh really? :stare: I didn't buy those rings yet, I used the elevator to get to Gutter.

I should though, red eye ring seems like fun.

Mind spoilering it?

NomChompsky posted:

Pertaining to this: If you go into the church where you fight the Old Dragonslayer and look at the statues, the bodies look very, very similar to the statues of Gwyn and others back in Anor Londo. However, the heads look different. They look like eagles or some kind of bird, and it looks like they're made of a different kind of stone, or stone that hasn't weathered down as much. My guess is that it's a place that has just been built upon over and over again and eventually was swallowed by the sea. Not to mention, just a short boat/crow ride away is The Old Bastille, which literally has the undead parish in the middle of it, with even more rear end in a top hat gargoyles and a bell of awakening that you get to ring again!

Its minor, but the statue dudes in Drangleic Castle have weird flat faces with runes on them just like the Titanite Demons from DS1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lotish posted:

So what are you bets on what stuff is going to get patched first? I heard lots of people say the life and soul protection rings, but I think those are pretty much working as intended and will probably see their repair costs go up rather than get patched into being one use.

I imagine the first patch will fix the co-op humanity thing in one way (either they'll get rid of the reverse hollowing effect or just make it consistent, either way something's going to happen there.)

Ideally they'll shift around some stuff so that weapon balance will be less...focused? I guess? But beyond that, who even knows.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

NomChompsky posted:

Wait. Wait, are you saying that Belfry Luna...

No...that's not possible, there's no...there'd be a church section still or...

oh god but there's the Capra Demon fight and...

...nah, it's probably not the same place.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lotish posted:

Agreed I think just a steeper repair cost will do plenty. Also, I have hope that they'll patch in bonfire leveling up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I think those are intended and they're great. I could see them raising the prices a tad, though.

I think the first thing they'll patch is making cracked red eye orbs cheaper, making them available for sale on NG, or making them drop more often, or something.

Also they'll fix the bug where you're randomly human after doing a co-op that you failed. They'll make it harder before they make it easier :cheeky:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

voltron lion force posted:

Agreed I think just a steeper repair cost will do plenty. Also, I have hope that they'll patch in bonfire leveling up.

I like the current system. It encourages you to return to Majula often, and helps reinforce its status as a hub. You rarely ever visit Firelink after the midpoint of Dark Souls, but you'll constantly be returning to Majula.

I kind of wish you could have it so that NPCs fixed up the houses as they moved into the town and Majula sort of becomes a proper little town by the end of the game, but then I remember that this is Dark Souls, not Suikoden: Death Metal Edition

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Wow gently caress you NG+ Flexile Sentry i'm not even bothering to do you now.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Jesus tap dancing gently caress christ. The mummies in sinners rise are driving me loving mad. I've died to them a dozen times so far. Solo? Murdered by mummy. Solo with Luttice? Surprise mummy explosion. Bring in two coop bros? Everyone dead to mummy.

Going to try leading two coop summons near them and hiding next time.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 18, 2014

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Hey DarkHamsterLord, thanks a ton for your ancient dragon strategy! Got him on my 2nd try with it, works like a charm.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yo uh endgame optional stuff was that giant dragon hanging from webs always in Freja's room? Pretty sure I would have noticed that. Don't know what to make of the dragon memories either.

e: the greatsword with S Dex you make from his soul looks pretty cool though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So that cat in maluja mentions that the lost sinner tried to light the first flame and about the undead being locked away within the bastille... is it an extension of the asylum or something? and is the sinner the previous player character?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

straight jerkers posted:

Yo uh endgame optional stuff was that giant dragon hanging from webs always in Freja's room? Pretty sure I would have noticed that. Don't know what to make of the dragon memories either.

e: the greatsword with S Dex you make from his soul looks pretty cool though.

That corpse is always there, you can see it in the opening boss intro. As well, you can see afterwards. I didn't realize it was so...enormous...until after the fight though.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
There's mention in the strategy guide that you can use Binoculars to aim Soul Arrows (far?) outside of lock-on range. That sounds pretty cool. I may be testing this out later today.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've had alot of success with the red summon sign, like getting summoned within 10 seconds of putting it down everytime. It sucks that they're ready for you to come but most people treat it like some weird honour duel, and I just gib them when they bow.

e: Random dark souls story, I'd summoned two phantoms to help me deal with that red phantom on the end of the bridge at the start of undead purgatory. They both got killed in one hit by the guy in the same sword stroke, but he was damaged enough I only needed a couple of hits to take him down.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what DS2 is? Demon's and Dark have different names because they changed things up, but Dark Souls 2 is really just Dark Souls: Another Age.

They have different names because Sony owns the rights to demon's souls to a degree. Sony has even flirted with the idea of making a demon's souls 2 themselves, though they've denied it recently.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

Stux posted:

So that cat in maluja mentions that the lost sinner tried to light the first flame and about the undead being locked away within the bastille... is it an extension of the asylum or something? and is the sinner the previous player character?

The strategy guide says The Lost Sinner holds the last remnants of the witch of Izalith's soul and she used it to try and relight the first flame.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

In the Forest of Giants, I've run across a few spots where there are Giant-looking trees that I can interact with. I think one said something along the lines of "a giant sleeps here". Can I do anything with these guys, or are they red herrings?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Zombie Guy posted:

In the Forest of Giants, I've run across a few spots where there are Giant-looking trees that I can interact with. I think one said something along the lines of "a giant sleeps here". Can I do anything with these guys, or are they red herrings?

Way, way later in the game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

NomChompsky posted:

The Souls series is The Legend of Zelda from Hell including the repeated variations on a similar theme of history

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Fake white phantom ring + chameleon spell = so very, very many confused players

It's also the ultimate way to counter troll Belfry guys

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Annoying Reveler posted:

The strategy guide says The Lost Sinner holds the last remnants of the witch of Izalith's soul and she used it to try and relight the first flame.

Well, she isn't Quelanaa, that's for certain. Where did she even get hold of that particular soul? Shouldn't it have been consumed along with the others?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Annoying Reveler posted:

Aka the bed of chaos soul which you needed in DS1 to help relight the first flame? :v: if not though then how did the lost sinner get ahold of it after the PC in DS1 put it in the lord vessel...

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Dahbadu posted:

There's mention in the strategy guide that you can use Binoculars to aim Soul Arrows (far?) outside of lock-on range. That sounds pretty cool. I may be testing this out later today.

You can do this with a bow as well. Line up your zoomed in shot with the bow, then switch to a catalyst and shoot your spell. Spells go wherever you face, but determining where you're facing is hard without a bow/binoculars.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Stux posted:

Aka the bed of chaos soul which you needed in DS1 to help relight the first flame? :v: if not though then how did the lost sinner get ahold of it after the PC in DS1 put it in the lord vessel...

Well considering that in NG+ she and all the other big bosses drop souls directly referencing the last game's lords...

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

So it seems any problem you have in this game can easily be solved by hitting it with the demon's great hammer :allears:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

I've had alot of success with the red summon sign, like getting summoned within 10 seconds of putting it down everytime. It sucks that they're ready for you to come but most people treat it like some weird honour duel, and I just gib them when they bow.

e: Random dark souls story, I'd summoned two phantoms to help me deal with that red phantom on the end of the bridge at the start of undead purgatory. They both got killed in one hit by the guy in the same sword stroke, but he was damaged enough I only needed a couple of hits to take him down.

I like the new name.

I also have extremely fast summon times with the red summon sign, takes me less than 10 seconds to be summoned on average and I almost feel bad for the people I one shot.

Almost.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All I know is that I'm trying to kill the loving gargoyles and I keep dying and I can't summon help because bellbros are all about loving up my day and making me waste effigies on that place.
I'm going to try leveling up and coming back. I WILL kill those gargoyles, even if I have to be SL 54029 to do it.

Seriously the Bell Bros are the hardest thing in that tower.

RE: PVP it really sucks to be PVE the entire game and then thrust into PVP. The lag is killer and facing a PVP setup in a PVE area is doubly rough since I'm set up for a boss fight, not to fight Greatsword_swinger_01

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Last night, I found the tiny terrifying elevator in Sinner's Rise/Lost Bastille which shuts you in one of those man sized cages, I got some items, then manually dropped down to get the other treasure, and felt super badass and brave because I totally did not sweat myself to death despite the height. Felt great!

A technical question (PS3): For whatever reason, once evening comes, I constantly get kicked out of the game server. Then begins the somewhat time consuming process of quitting out to the title screen, fighting to get the game to connect to the game server again, and once more failing to be summoned and disconnecting from the multiplayer session. I have turned off the media server (when the hell was that added? I haven't used my unit since November) and signal connection is always at 90% or above (I'm on wireless, and sadly wired is not an option). I have updated my router's firmware. Sadly, it doesn't have a "keep alive" option, but I have (perhaps foolishly) removed DoS protection in case that was an issue. I have better success with achieving multiplayer bliss before 5-ish p.m. est, though it's not perfect. Constantly getting disconnected as I am being summoned or during a co-op results in the multiplayer reduced priority penalty or whatever, so that makes the issue worse. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Also, fighting terrifying skeletons around the warrens in huntsman's copse: is there anything I can do to prevent them from resurrecting? It's Easter every 2 minutes, except the eggs are skulls.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 18, 2014

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is there any basic 'you should put this many points into these stats' suggestions yet? I don't want to min/max but I'd like to know when it stops being efficient, I basically just hit things with swords and maybe shoot arrows at people.

four hands fisting posted:

I like the new name.

I also have extremely fast summon times with the red summon sign, takes me less than 10 seconds to be summoned on average and I almost feel bad for the people I one shot.

Almost.

Thank you! Garbage Day was giving out free name changes in the pornMD thread.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ParanoidInc posted:

Hey DarkHamsterLord, thanks a ton for your ancient dragon strategy! Got him on my 2nd try with it, works like a charm.

Hooray!

That boss is right up with the Bed of Chaos as one of the most frustrating parts of any Souls game for me, so I'm always glad to hear that I was able to help ease some of that frustration for another player.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Just had my first experience with a non-Bell/Rat invasion. I was sunbroing a guy through Drangleic Castle when the guy invaded. I fought the invader by myself and killed him in like a Lightning Spear and two sword hits. The +1 Casting speed ring is really good for PvP and bossfights.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've found a new favorite PvP weapon: Mytha's Twisted Dagger. Fully upgraded with 40 dex, and the poise damage+ ring, and it's hilarious. I'm using the full Aurous armor for something stupid like 16% equip burden and around 30 adp, and it's super easy to roll through any attack and counter attack before they can react. Then they just get stunlocked with knife jabs and they're guaranteed to get poisoned. Or I backstab them for half their health. Sometimes the knife swipes deal surprisingly high damage, and even if it doesn't then the poison is all but sure to finish them off. A single missed swing from an enemy weapon, even something as fast as a straight sword, means that they're dead.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ShadowMar posted:

Well considering that in NG+ she and all the other big bosses drop souls directly referencing the last game's lords...

What? Oh gently caress me, I need to stop reading spoilers again now, sheeeit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I've found a new favorite PvP weapon: Mytha's Twisted Dagger. Fully upgraded with 40 dex, and the poise damage+ ring, and it's hilarious. I'm using the full Aurous armor for something stupid like 16% equip burden and around 30 adp, and it's super easy to roll through any attack and counter attack before they can react. Then they just get stunlocked with knife jabs and they're guaranteed to get poisoned. Or I backstab them for half their health. Sometimes the knife swipes deal surprisingly high damage, and even if it doesn't then the poison is all but sure to finish them off. A single missed swing from an enemy weapon, even something as fast as a straight sword, means that they're dead.

And here I was thinking there was a bit less cheese than in the first Dark Souls so far!

• Locked thread