Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
This thread is what made me buy VLR, and I enjoyed it very much, so. Now I get to enjoy watching everyone else catch up to speed. :allears:

As mentioned, I ended up on this path on like my first or second time through, and I hadn't seen the Schrödinger's Alice bit yet, so this was my introduction to what I can only call this game's shenanigans. Frankly it just made me love the game more. It got me all excited to find out what was going on. So I guess what I'm saying is, what some people seem to interpret as the game dicking you over, others experience as exciting and interesting. At the heart of it, this is a visual novel. It's meant to be experienced rather than "beaten", so I really can't fault the game for putting you in seemingly unfair/impossible situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Carlioo posted:

I think there's gonna be some plot-lock with Phi blocking the door and Zigma going "well poo poo, I can't get past her. - HOW DO WE GET PAST PHI". I mean, a game over would be nice and this is probably the closest we are gonna get to one.

Unless Zigma decides to stay behind. Please don't Zigma :ohdear:

I feel kind of bad for SORT of making fun of a typo...but I can't resist:

Look, Zigma ! Look in the sky! The planets are on fire! It is just as you prophesied! The planets of our solar system, incinerating! LIKE FLAMING GLOBES, ZIGMA! LIKE FLAMING GLOBES! ... Ah, ha, ha, ha! Zigma!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can't wait to see what bullshit awaits us now that we've got 9.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'll be shocked if it's anything other than a quick bad end.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
Wonder if it'll be something like the Stanley Parable where you get a lame "good end" where you win but learn nothing.

Although it's much more likely someone's going to try and kick our rear end.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is Sigma going to try to leave? I honestly have no idea what happens here. I guess the most likely scenario is one of the group knocks him out preemptively to prevent him from leaving.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Is Sigma going to try to leave? I honestly have no idea what happens here. I guess the most likely scenario is one of the group knocks him out preemptively to prevent him from leaving.

Looks like a prime opportunity for Dio to take back the rear end in a top hat crown back from Alice. :v:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Overflight posted:

Looks like a prime opportunity for Dio to take back the rear end in a top hat crown back from Alice. :v:

If Sigma leaves, he probably earns that title for himself.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So I guess what I'm saying is, what some people seem to interpret as the game dicking you over, others experience as exciting and interesting.

I think the LP format is the cause of that more than anything. The current situation, for example, is meant to be something experienced immediately and continuously. Questions will be raised, then addressed. The LP format means that questions will be raised, and then addressed whenever Fedule can update again. Certain things aren't intended by the story flow to be mulled over for long periods of time. There's really no way to fix this, either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also remember that as the player, you're not subjected to the goon hivemind's decision of what to do next. So if you want to go check out something else, you absolutely can.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The pauses between each update really do change the experience of the game (which by default is just saying "gently caress it" to sleeping for a day or two and spending ~35 hours barreling through cliffhanger after cliffhanger), but the involvement of the thread as a whole through reactions and speculations and arguments really lend an awesome flavor to it, especially if you think of the thread as Siggy's internal thought process

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So I guess what I'm saying is, what some people seem to interpret as the game dicking you over, others experience as exciting and interesting.

The plot is interesting and exciting, it's just that with so many of the characters turning out to be such dicks it's hard to bring myself to really care what happens to them. I want to find out what's the big mystery is, but I'm not exactly biting my nails wondering if they'll all get out of this alive anymore. It looked like Phi was being set up to be another main character or love interest or whatever, and now I give zero shits about her beyond figuring out what's up with her superpowers, leaving Luna and Ten and maaaybe K as the only remaining characters I actually like. Though no doubt they're all planning some kind of glorious backstabbing assholery the first chance they get as well.

This game. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I suppose it's also worth noting that you don't need to wait for a dead end to use the flowchart. Maybe you see the voting result and scream BS while quickly hopping back the flowchart without even waiting to see what happens. It's really a "game mechanic" in the broadest sense of the word. Choosing the order and means of experiencing the story is the gameplay, moreso than the choices themselves.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I guess a promise means a lot to you.

VLR OST: [Desperation]

I had nothing to say.
She was right; I'd broken a promise.

Why did you do it?

Nothing to say?
I guess I misjudged you. I thought you were better than this.

That was not a smart move, Sigma.
I won't forget this.
I'll make sure you pay, even if it's the last thing I do.

What's that?

A Latin proverb.

What does it mean?

Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity.

Jupiter is a Roman god. Actually, he's kind of the Roman god--he's in charge of all the others.
Not even Jupiter, the ruler of the gods, can take back what's been done.
You did something bad. You're not going to get a chance to take it back.

You aren't thinking about trying to open the number nine door, are you?

For a moment, I considered the unthinkable.

Could I break through them and reach the door?
Once I was through, I'd be out of the game, and free from their judgement.

But...

But there I was, and I couldn't turn back.
Even if I didn't try to open the number nine door, they would all be suspicious of anything I did.
Trust is easy to break and hard to repair.
Unless I could somehow turn back the clock, I was stuck with the consequences of my actions.

Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity.

How could I do something that was beyond the reach of a god?

[Music fades out]

We can't just let you run around with 9 BP.

I'm afraid you're going to have to sleep for a little while.
Okay?

...Huh?

I started to turn around, but it was already too late.

I felt a heavy hand slam into the back of my neck--

And while Sigma was unconscious he died for some reason, thus justifying this being a Game Over. Implicitly, of course.

And back to the flowchart we go...

...Hey, does that Plot Lock look different to anyone else?

Here's how opening Plot Locks is going to work from now on; except in cases where the Relevant Information is revealed in the same update as an ending (like the current case), or in cases where the Relevant Information (and how to use it) is Extremely Obvious, the choice to revisit a Plot Lock will not be added to polls unless I have seen the "solution" speculated in the thread.

And with all that in mind, we are once again at a juncture.

cd ~/magenta/ally/green/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Gaulem Bay

cd ~/magenta/ally/red
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Red door with Alice and Clover

cd ~/magenta/ally/blue
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Blue door with Alice and K

cd ~/magenta/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Lounge

cd ~/yellow/ally/green
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Green door with Clover and Quark

cd ~/yellow/ally/blue
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Blue door with Clover and Tenmyouji

cd ~/yellow/betray
Betray Tenmyouji after escaping the Infirmary

cd ~/cyan/betray/red/ally && chmod u+rxw *
Lock No. 08: How can we stop Phi?

cd ~/cyan/betray/blue
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Blue door with Luna and Alice

cd ~/cyan/betray/green
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Green door with Luna and Clover

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Re: Our new Plot Lock policy

I would like to gently remind everyone that people who already know the plot shouldn't be actively partaking in speculation. Remember, only you can prevent spoilers-as-speculation!

Oh, also, I fixed that one missing audio track from an earlier update.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let's get all the Phi unpleasantness out of the way right now, shall we? Because despite time-shenanigan-hypocrisy, she's still pretty much the best.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, let's go back and smack Phi in the neck, I guess?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
We really should betray Luna AFTER the Gaulem bay, but I'd take any opportunity to check another part of the story than this one, frankly. At least Phi actually had a REASON to betray us in that other path, even though we weren't privy to it...Dio though, I really want to see how he gets killed.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
"You got 9 points? Well screw you, player. GAME OVER"

Well played game, well played. Although after all we've seen so far I kind of expected that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think there's a point in betraying Luna after the Gaulem Bay - it seems like one of the Ally/Betray decisions from the second set of doors onwards will definitely lead to a Bad End from what we've seen, and since Allying with Luna led us to another puzzle room, it seems firmly that it's the right thing to do in that instance, unless we need to do something like seeing the Bad End to unlock a plot point like here.

I am assuming that we will need to betray Luna after the Magenta door at some point though, so I'd rather get that part out of the way.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm not sure there's even a point in doing a poll here. I think everyone knows where the thread wants to go, and the early results are proving that quite handily.

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013
Clearly the way to stop Phi is to channel Mei Ling and blurt out proverbs non-stop repeat the Jupiter proverb.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

unfair posted:

"You got 9 points? Well screw you, player. GAME OVER"

Well played game, well played. Although after all we've seen so far I kind of expected that.

Dio probably cuts our throat when no one is looking.

Now that we've betrayed Phi and so have experienced what Phi accused us of doing, lets go back to the same branch again and ally with Phi. Maybe we can talk her down if we say we do remember.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In real life, unlike most fiction, a blow that can render a person unconscious can very easily be fatal. I choose to believe that this ending is just the game choosing to reflect reality in this instance and Phi just accidentally murdered Sigma.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Dio probably cuts our throat when no one is looking.

Now that we've betrayed Phi and so have experienced what Phi accused us of doing, lets go back to the same branch again and ally with Phi. Maybe we can talk her down if we say we do remember.

:10bux: it was the bombs.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Of course it wouldn't be that easy. Poor Sigma, he can't even remember that he got betrayed which caused him to go back and betray.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think there's a point in betraying Luna after the Gaulem Bay - it seems like one of the Ally/Betray decisions from the second set of doors onwards will definitely lead to a Bad End from what we've seen, and since Allying with Luna led us to another puzzle room, it seems firmly that it's the right thing to do in that instance, unless we need to do something like seeing the Bad End to unlock a plot point like here.

I am assuming that we will need to betray Luna after the Magenta door at some point though, so I'd rather get that part out of the way.

Yeah but some of us want to see a Bad End. Instead of just a "game over" screen. :getin:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hogama posted:

Of course it wouldn't be that easy. Poor Sigma, he can't even remember that he got betrayed which caused him to go back and betray.

I think he CAN remember. He just refuses to believe it because it's impossible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Poland Spring posted:

Yeah but some of us want to see a Bad End. Instead of just a "game over" screen. :getin:

I'm equating them to the same thing. Game Over = Bad End. I doubt betraying Luna is going to lead to anything that fruitful right now, and I don't see how it would let us get the username/passwords for the Security Room.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Looks like getting K to smack Phi in the head before she can flee is the way to go here.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Bad ends are the same as all the other ends: just more text to read and possible plot lock keys to be found. There's no reason to try to avoid them.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm equating them to the same thing. Game Over = Bad End. I doubt betraying Luna is going to lead to anything that fruitful right now, and I don't see how it would let us get the username/passwords for the Security Room.

Okay, sure! :ironicat: I just hope when we do get there (and we will) we don't end up with a boring black screen for an ending.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Come on, we all know he's going to shout at her in Latin and she'll realize a) he's right, throwing away this chance is a bad idea and perhaps b) he now remembers the alternate timeline, sort of.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's like the game is actively mocking us at this point.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I thought Mars was the Roman god? Jupitar is up there being the parallel to Zeus, but Mars was... more important, for lack of better words, to the Romans?

symptom
Oct 19, 2011

Penakoto posted:

I thought Mars was the Roman god? Jupitar is up there being the parallel to Zeus, but Mars was... more important, for lack of better words, to the Romans?

It's been a while, but I think Mars was Ares the god of war in Greek mythology. Dunno about importance though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

Oh, also, I fixed that one missing audio track from an earlier update.

Except you forgot to close the URL tag, so everything until the link to the poll now links to the missing audio track.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Except you forgot to close the URL tag, so everything until the link to the poll now links to the missing audio track.

It's always something with you people isn't it?!

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

symptom posted:

It's been a while, but I think Mars was Ares the god of war in Greek mythology. Dunno about importance though.

I know that, but as far as tiers of importance and reverence go, I thought Mars (Ares to the Greeks) was top god for the Romans, and it's Zeus (Jupiter to the Romans) was for most if not all Greeks and successors kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's apparently really, really difficult to eat spaghetti while asleep.

• Locked thread