Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes, the unkind term for moe is "The fetishization of weakness".
Never heard that one before. That's definitely unkind. Accurate, though.

Oh well, it's just a fad. It'll all be over in a few years. We just have to weather the storm, right? Right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If we went out with Homura we'd be Kamen Rider's sidekick.

Has that ever ended well?

I do like how your childhood friend isn't Hard Mode in this, but drat if that wasn't an oblivious date.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Glazius posted:

I do like how your childhood friend isn't Hard Mode in this, but drat if that wasn't an oblivious date.

Hikari is the one playing Hard Mode.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Invoking a protective or paternal urge is one of the oldest tricks in the book. If that's all it takes to make something moe, I've got some moe cave paintings to show you.

In other words, the underlying theory isn't the problem. "Moe" is the underlying theory twisted into something far worse, which is why it's become a dirty word.

FractalSandwich posted:

Never heard that one before. That's definitely unkind. Accurate, though.

Oh well, it's just a fad. It'll all be over in a few years. We just have to weather the storm, right? Right? :ohdear:

Some people who were on the ground seem to indicate it's...Complicated. And actually kinda sad in a genuinely-sad sort of way.

Basically, according to that link, otaku in Japan thought post-apocalyptic fiction/manga/anime was cool.

Then Aum Shinrikyo happened and they discovered it was not particularly cool at all. In fact, it was kind of scary.

So they turned to moe stuff instead.

That's obviously not the whole of it according to that link, but it makes more sense to me than a lot of the other theories I've heard.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 18, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Otaku culture is pretty much the constant push towards being more and more pathetic. And I don't mean that in a "otaku are pathetic" way, I mean that otaku do poo poo because they think its pathetic. It's pretty much one never-ending "I suck" joke. So the stuff that's hot among the otaku crowd gets more and more extreme because they're looking for a new way to express how much they suck.

It's actually a somewhat interesting social movement, as you can make a good argument that it's the direct result of the high pressures of Japanese society. People who can't keep up in the race to the top decide to just give up entirely and race to the bottom.

Goon on the other hand has the power of time travel on his hands so he'll never lose! :v:

DoubleDonut posted:

Hikari is the one playing Hard Mode.

Turns out Shiori was just really oblivious the entire time.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteJesters posted:

Some people who were on the ground seem to indicate it's...Complicated. And actually kinda sad in a genuinely-sad sort of way.

Basically, according to that link, otaku in Japan thought post-apocalyptic fiction/manga/anime was cool.

This article is really interesting, especially once I realized it's 10 years old. I think 'moe' has taken on an incredibly . . . different undertone in the years since this was written.

quote:

Then Aum Shinrikyo happened and they discovered it was not particularly cool at all. In fact, it was kind of scary.

So they turned to moe stuff instead.

Probably not the thread to debate it; but I think this is pretty far off both from what the article is trying to say and my own personal opinions.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2014

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Chuu posted:

Probably not the thread to debate it; but I think this is pretty far off both from what the article is trying to say and my own personal opinions.

Probably. Possible cognitive bias/misread on my part. Apologies.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem is that the members of the counter-culture also had to grow up and face puberty. The social rejection coupled with societal frustration made them turn to something that would accept them, remind them of better days, make them seem necessary and gloss over their flaws. Why do you think most characters are naive, happy, wide-eyed girls? Because they are pretty much the most non-threatening character society can produce. This is also why many of these characters share physical traits with pets like cats and dogs.

Now it's true that while many counter-cultures have elements of sexuality in them, this one is much more directly related. So immediately you get into all sorts of messy issues; the sexualization and fetishization of underage girls, the unwillingness to confront their own issues by escaping into this fantasy land, the resultant misogyny that comes from this and so on.

I would guess this is why Otaku culture hates idols who have boyfriends and such. They remind them of their on issues and shatter the illusion they dragged themselves into. Though I will admit that I have no articles to back this up and am merely playing Internet Armchair Psychologist. So feel free to tell me that I'm talking out of my rear end.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If we're only doing a limited number of characters, then we should probably officially meet all the characters in-game before we vote. That way we can make an informed enough decision.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

That article is as fascinating as it is esoteric. It's an interesting look at "otaku culture" in general, but I'm not sure it has much to do with "moe" in particular, especially in its current form. Two of the three guys there openly admit that they didn't even get it 10 years ago.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Going to be streaming again tonight. Nervous about how I've only seen Takumi's List in one of my many runs, but we'll see if I need to rewind time again!

Stream finished. B-ho route finished! Now for 2-3 weeks of video dissection, animated GIF creation, and translation. Next post will be Sunday, since I'm driving to Disneyland in about 6 hours.

Peace!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 21, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 11: A summer filled with frogs and fish

6/5: Daily life event with Hikari

Hikari: Gunma-kun.
Goon: Hey, Hikari. What's up?
Hikari: Don't ask me why, just lend me your English book!
Goon: I don't mind, but why?
Hikari: Hey, you asked me why!
Goon: Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Hikari: Don't laugh at me.
Hikari: Truth is, I overslept this morning. So I just grabbed my backpack and ran out the door.
Goon: Pfffffff

Hikari: Hey, you laughed at me!
Goon: Sorry. It's just so unlike you to do that.
Goon: Here.
Hikari: Ooh, yay! Later!
Goon: (It looks like she's got a cold.)

6/11: Read the new Hibikino Watcher

Mail order (far left): With this, you'll score perfectly on all your tests! "Self-hypnosis study device."
Movie information (bottom left): Saving Private Lion. "Have you met Sergeant Lion yet?"
Aquarium information (text above movie information): The aquarium is undergoing renovations. "The aquarium is currently closed for renovations. Rumor has it they're building a stage - stay tuned!"
The Merry-go-round is closing (top left): "Unfortunately, Hibikino Amusement Place's Merry-go-round is closing. But a new attraction seems to be opening in November!"
The beach is open (top right): "The day you've been waiting for is July 1st! Summer means the beach! The beach means swimsuits! Taste the joy of being buried in the sand!"
Hibikino Amusement Place Night Parade (right): "The annual Hibikino Amusement Place Night Parade starts in mid-August! Your girl will melt in the romantic atmosphere!"
Ennichi (bottom right): "The 4th Sunday of every July is Hibikino Shrine's customary Ennichi celebration! See your girlfriend in a yukata and try your hand at katanuki!"
Fireworks (bottom right): "The fireworks show is on the last Saturday of August! Burn the beauty of our fire flower art against the starry sky into your eyes!"

6/11: Invite Miho to go shopping on 6/18 (she accepts

6/18: Shopping with...

Miho. For the sake of speed, I went to the Fancy Shop on each of these occasions, since Miho's Fancy Shop event conveniently doesn't require making any choices, allowing me to hold down L2 and skip all dialogue until it's time to giblo. And there is a bit of giblo to skip until B-ho shows up.

RELOAD COUNT: 107, 108, 109

6/18: Shopping with B-ho

I spent some time switching between the Miho and B-ho images to see the difference. It's a slight angle change on the right shoulder strap. Eesh.

B-ho: Where are we going today?
Goon: Let's go to the Fancy Shop.
B-ho: Let's hurry! They have some things I've had my eye on.

B-ho: I found a lot of Kero-chan goods here.
Goon: (Kero-chan? Oh, right, she's talking about Kero Kero Debeso-chan.)
Option 1: You bought a ton, it looks like you got enough for two.
Option 2: You bought a ton, let me carry it for you.
Option 3: You bought a ton, I got sick of waiting.

This conversation is way better for Miho than it is for B-ho - the best B-ho option is 2, which is merely neutral. But the conversation is refreshingly honest, at least.

Goon: You bought a ton, let me carry that for you.
B-ho: If I told you I was planning on that from the beginning, would you be angry?
Goon: (Eh.)

RELOAD COUNT: 110

6/18: Shopping date, take 5

B-ho again.

B-ho: Where are we going today?
Goon: Let's go to the boutique.
B-ho: There are some clothes I really want! Let's move.

B-ho: Sorry for keeping you waiting so long.
B-ho: There were so many things I wanted.
Option 1: You bought a ton, it looks like you got enough for two.
Option 2: You bought a ton, let me carry it for you.
Option 3: You bought a ton, I got sick of waiting.

Yes, these are in fact the exact same options, but in a different place. As you might expect, the same answer has 4 different reactions based on location and Miho/B-ho.

Goon: You bought a ton, let me carry it for you.
B-ho: Thanks. Honestly, I was counting on you doing that for me.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

6/25: Hikari's birthday

Goon: Oh yeah, isn't today Hikari's birthday?
Goon: I should get her a present.
Goon: (Okay, I should head over there and give her a present. What should I give her?)
Best option: Glass ornament
Good option: Reference book.
Bad option: Sneakers

For those of you who are paying attention, you may notice that sneakers have gone from "good gift" in year one to "bad gift" in year 2. Hikari doesn't want to be thought of as just Goon's athletic friend anymore!

Picking the best option here leads to a more involved dialogue than the normal birthday event, which we need to see in order to dodge Hikari bombs as long as possible.

Hikari: Hey, Gunma-kun. What're you doing here?
Goon: You think I don't know it's your birthday?
Goon: I brought you a present.
Hikari: Hahaha, thanks. Oh, come on in.
Goon: Hm? Sure.

Hikari: Hey, mind if I open my present now?
Goon: Go ahead.

Hikari: Wow! It's beautiful!
Hikari: But wasn't this expensive?
Goon: You shouldn't worry about it, Hikari.
Hikari: Why?
Goon: Well, um, how can I put this...
Goon: I, uh, I just wanted to see you smile.

Hikari: You're so stupid.
Goon: Hey, wait a second. Didn't you used to say -
Goon: "I'm not stupid, you're stupid for calling me stupid."
Hikari: Geez! You're such an idiot!
Hikari: ...
Hikari: Thank you!

And there, we can see the first callback to the childhood prologue. Specifically, the line comes from part 1, when Hikari and Goon play in the sandbox. It's a throwaway line that's easy to forget... unless you're Goon and Hikari.

7/2: Ask Miho to the beach on 7/20 (she accepts)

7/10-7/14: Midterms

33rd: Fudou Gunma
93rd: Hinomoto Hikari
107th: Sakaki Takumi
126th: Minazuki Kotoko
140th: Hokari Jun'ichirou
179th: Shirayuki Miho

Holy crap, Miho's math and science are awful

7/20: To the beach!

B-ho, hurray!

B-ho: There sure are a lot of people here. You think everyone's here to swim?
Option 1: There isn't a single person who comes to the beach and doesn't swim.
Option 2: The beach isn't just about swimming.
Option 3: I think there might be some people fishing, too.

Option 2 seems best.

Goon: The beach isn't just about swimming.
B-ho: You say such smart things. And by that, I mean I'm not going to swim either.
B-ho: I'll keep my reasons a secret.

At this point, I realized that I hadn't set a date for Ennichi on 7/23 - which isn't necessary, but is an easy way to gain points. So...

RELOAD COUNT: 111

7/15: Ask B-ho to the beach on 7/20 (she accepts)
7/16: Ask B-ho to Ennichi on 7/23 (she accepts)

7/20: Beach date, take 2

Miho this time. Curses!
Miho: There sure are a lot of people here. You think everyone's here to swim?
Option 1: There isn't a single person who comes to the beach and doesn't swim.
Option 2: The beach isn't just about swimming.
Option 3: I think there might be some people fishing, too.

For this choice, at least, Miho and B-ho have the same thing in mind.

Goon: The beach isn't just about swimming.
Miho: That's true. I can see plenty of people who aren't swimming.
Miho: Hehe, just like me.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

7/23: Ennichi

Honest question, can anyone tell the difference between Miho and B-ho in the yukata? Not just the eyes open/closed thing from the previous year.

Miho(?): I picked this yukata based on my fortune, but do you think it looks good?
Option 1: It really suits you. You look cute.
Option 2: That yukata is pretty, especially the pattern.
Option 3: You really took care in putting on that yukata.

Same dialogue as the Ennichi in chapter 4, and the same set of reactions. So let's just see which one this is.

Goon: You really took care in putting on that yukata.
B-ho: Yes, I'm very proud of that.

For this year, I chose the goldfish scooping mini-game...

Which I continue to be not so great at.

B-ho: If you can't catch at least that many, then it's no fun.
Goon: (Eh.)

RELOAD COUNT: 112

7/20: Beach, take 3

Miho this time. Nothing new.

7/23: Ennichi, take 3

Eyes closed, so this is B-ho, right?

Goon: You really took care in putting on that yukata.
B-ho(?): Yes, my mother showed me how.

Nope. It's Miho. The eyes are no longer a tell. Let's skip ahead a few reloads.

RELOAD COUNT: 113

Beach Miho, then Ennichi B-ho on this try.

RELOAD COUNT: 114

By the way, screw katanuki. That mini-game's just plain annoying.

B-ho: Hey! Man, it's like you've totally killed the fun!
Goon: (I made a really bad impression.)

Death Glare Count: 8
RELOAD COUNT: 115

Miho twice, and another failure at the katanuki mini-game.

RELOAD COUNT: 116

7/20: Beach, take I don't remember anymore

B-ho!

7/23: Ennichi, take I don't remember anymore

B-ho again! But I mashed Circle too hard again and only got the "pretty good" option.

Combined with just getting one turtle in the goldfish scooping mini-game, B-ho's overall impression was only average. But you know what? She showed up twice, so that was good enough for me to stop reloading and keep moving forward.

7/30: Ask Miho to go bowling on 8/6 (she accepts)

8/6: Bowling for B-hos

B-ho on the first try again! Thanks for the pity, RNG.

B-ho: There are so many people here, and it seems like they all love bowling.
Option 1: Well, of course everyone here would love bowling.
Option 2: Do you not like it, Shirayuki-chan?
Option 3: So, want to get started?

Goon: Do you not like it, Shirayuki-chan?
B-ho: No, I like it. Well, I like watching it.

Good enough! (It's the best answer anyway). Save and move on.

8/14: Summer camp!

As a reminder, B-ho cannot show up to the fireworks show, she cannot show up to summer camp, and she can't show up on the class trip. So, thankfully, neither of these August events will require reloading.

Goon: (Summer camp starts today!)
Miho: Is something wrong?
Goon: Oh, no, I was just firing myself up a little.
Miho: *giggle* You shouldn't get too excited just because we have underclassmen now.
Miho: If you get too enthusiastic now, it could get you in trouble later.
Goon: Don't worry, I know better.

8/16: Miho summer camp event

Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan. Good morning.
Miho: *yawn* Oh... good morning.
Goon: You sure look cute in your pajamas.

Miho: Hm? What? Oh... oh no, please don't stare.
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan?
Goon: She just ran off.

If we had somehow managed to get Miho's affection above B-ho's, we could actually use the peeking event to drop Miho's affection level. However, it's not necessary since B-ho has a significant enough lead to show up for the Sports Festival. Thank goodness, because I didn't want to see any more of Bakuretsuzan's backside.

8/26: Fireworks!

Due to B-ho being ineligible for the fireworks show, I chose the "go watch alone" option.

Goon: The fireworks sure were pretty.
Goon: ...
Goon: This feels somehow empty.
Goon: I should go home.

September 1st is the beginning of disc 3, so this is a good stopping point for now.

Next time:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Haha a Midgar Zolom reference.

And man I'm starting to feel real bad for Hikari.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 25, 2014

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
...so, I'm assuming this came out around the same time as FF7? drat.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Galick posted:

...so, I'm assuming this came out around the same time as FF7? drat.

FF7 was 2 years before Tokimemo 2, and FF8 came out about 8-9 months before Tokimemo 2.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Great update, thanks for all your effort. Hope you enjoyed Disneyland.

Looking at all these reloads, sometimes I think any LP OP must be a masochist.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

7/10-7/14: Midterms

33rd: Fudou Gunma
107th: Sakaki Takumi
I get way more pleasure out of us beating Takumi at exam scores than I probably should.

Aw, how cute! She even dressed Kero-chan in his pajamas, too!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's awfully rude of us to tank Miho's grades if we're not planning on dating her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do any of the other girls change over the playthrough like Hikari does?

...hmm, I wonder if people thought Miho was doing the same thing.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Going live with the regular Thursday stream, playing old Tokimemo music and translating the next part:

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

(I also want the next chapter to go on another page)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

vibratingsheep posted:

(I also want the next chapter to go on another page)

I think we need another 20 (19, counting this one) posts for it to hit the next page.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I thought I asked this already, but apparently not. If you were doing a no-reset run, what would be the odds of successfully dating each girl, roughly?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FredMSloniker posted:

I thought I asked this already, but apparently not. If you were doing a no-reset run, what would be the odds of successfully dating each girl, roughly?

If you're trying to do a running LP of the process, approximately 0%.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I dunno, you could probably manage Hikari without resetting.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm guessing Hikari has a low overall stat requirement (probably centering around athletics? I don't know), so it shouldn't be too hard to do no-reset runs for things like that.

It must be Easy Mode for a reason.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Whoops, I miscounted, I thought we were 2 away from a new page. No worries, then.

The characters I know I can do with no resets: Hikari, Maeka. That's, uh. Well, that's it for trying to get all the events right the first time.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 12: Attack of the Childhood Friends

9/3: Read the new Hibikino Watcher

New Spot - Virtual Hazard (top left): "At Hibikino Amusement Place, the big new attraction has been finished! Virtual Hazard is waiting for you!"
New Spot - Hibikino Tower (top left): "A huge structure appears in Hibikino! The 128m-tall Hibikino Tower opens 12/20!"
Movie - Marageddon (bottom left): "A giant meteorite is approaching Hibikino! And now, these men must fight to stay alive! Marageddon opens on 9/1!"
Hibikino Stadium - Soccer: (top right): "KO league kicks off at 14:00 on 10/1!"
Concert - Kabukiza no Kaijin: "The famed theater troupe is coming to town! Don't miss the greatest and last musical of the century, Kabukiza no Kaijin!"
Autumn leaves: 10/15-11/15
Matarao Ski Resport: 12/1-2/28
Hibikino Skate: 12/1-2/28

9/18: Class Trip

Goon: Oh yeah, where were we going on the class trip, again?
Option 1: Hokkaido
Option 2: Kyoto/Nara
Option 3: Okinawa

Yes, these are the same choices from Tokimemo 1. Once again, B-ho is not eligible to show up to the school trip, so our priority is to make sure Miho doesn't like Goon too much. This means we're free to do whatever we want on this trip, and we probably have enough leeway to hang out with Miho.

Goon: Oh yeah, it was Okinawa.

9/19: Day 2

Goon: Let's see, today we split up into our classes and go sightseeing...

Kotoko: There's a lot of walking involved today, isn't there?
Kotoko: It's pretty rough.
Goon: It's not that bad. I think we'll be done soon.
Kotoko: Even though we came here to experience culture, it feels like we're here for training camp. Sigh...
Goon: (Minazuki-san sure is in a bad mood today.)
Kotoko: ...saying that just makes the mood worse. Alright, I should cheer up and get walking.
Goon: (Oh, good.)

9/20: Day 3

Goon: Today was exhausting.

Goon: Hey, Hikari, what's up?
Hikari: Well, it's nothing too important, but...
Goon: Hmm?
Hikari: Well, uh, hey. Tomorrow, let's head out and go sightseeing together.

Option 1: Of course that's OK!
Option 2: S, sorry, I can't...

This trip, might as well hang out with Miho and see what happens. Sorry, Hikari.

Goon: S, sorry, I can't...
Hikari: Is that so. Well, that's unfortunate, but nothing we can do about it. Later...
Goon: (H, Hikari... dammit.)

9/21: Day 4

Goon: Today, we have free time for sightseeing.
Goon: It'd be boring to walk around alone, so maybe I should invite a girl to go with me.
Goon: Who should I invite?
Option 1: Minazuki Kotoko
Option 2: Shirayuki Miho

Sorry, Hikari. You're not an option because we already said no, so it's Miho's turn, for once!

Goon: (I wonder if Shirayuki-chan's around.)
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan!
Miho: Oh, hello there. What's going on?
Goon: Hey, want to go sightseeing together today?
Miho: That sounds nice. My horoscope said that our compatibility is good today.
Goon: Great, let's go!

Miho: I've always wished for a yacht.
Goon: Yeah, me too. It kinda feels romantic.
Miho: A pure white yacht silently cutting between the shining silver sea and the blue sky as if it could split them apart...
Miho: It's such a romantic scene.
Goon: It really is. But wait, Shirayuki-chan, don't you get sick on boats?
Miho: I do. That's why it's just a wish. In reality, I'll never be able to ride one.
Goon: (That's so like her.)

Miho: !!
Goon: A, a giant pit viper!
Option 1: Flee alone
Option 2: Flee with her
Option 3: Fight so that Shirayuki-chan can flee.

Time to be a man!

The Pit Viper Lord attacked!

Just like in the previous Tokimemo, you're not meant to win this fight - it's purely for laughs. Observe!

The Pit Viper Lord attacks in two ways. His primary attack is to use Tail Punch, a 2-3 hit attack that does a ton of damage but will never actually kill you.

Eventually, he'll end the fight by using Astral Fang.

Goon: I've been eaten!
Goon: I'm going to suffocate in here!
Mongoose: Grrrrr!

The Mongoose of Justice attacks with Mongoose Zantetsuken - if the name sounds familiar, it's because you're a Lupin the 3rd fan and you know that Ishikawa Goemon's sword is named Zantetsuken - the Steel-cutting Sword.

Or, alternately, you have played your Final Fantasies and know that it's Odin's attack when he's summoned.

Victory!
Thank you, Mongoose of Justice!
Treasure: Snake skin
Earned 8000 XP
Earned 0 gold

Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: Are you okay? Did it hurt you?
Miho: You fought so bravely for my sake...
Goon: I, I'm fine.

That night...

Miho: Goon-san.
Miho: Are you free right now?
Goon: Yeah, I am.
Miho: Would you like to take a walk with me?
Goon: Yeah, that's fine. Let's go.

Miho: The sound of the ocean plays a different melody in each place.
Goon: What kind of melody plays here?
Miho: Let's see...
Miho: It's the song of a mother calling to you, saying "You're always welcome here at home".
Goon: Hmm, I feel like I kinda get that.
Miho: Really?
Miho: I kind of regretted saying that as soon as it came out of my mouth.
Miho: I wondered if you were going to think I was weird for saying it.
Goon: It's not like that at all.
Goon: More importantly, I guess we have to say goodbye to this fantasy island today.
Miho: Yes, but it won't be a sad parting.
Goon: ???
Miho: Because I've committed the memories to heart, and on top of that...
Miho: I'm not alone...
Goon: (What's up with Shirayuki-chan? I mean, of course we're all going to head back on the plane together...)

Goon: Whew, we're home. It feels like forever since we were in Hibikino.
Goon: (And that's how the school trip ended...)

Well, that's great and all, but seeing Miho at the blushy stage there, let's play it safe and reload!

RELOAD COUNT: 117

9/18: Class trip, take 2

Goon: Oh yeah, where were we going on the class trip, again?
Goon: Oh yeah, it was Hokkaido.

Kotoko: This whole town of Hotaru is wonderful.
Kotoko: All of these buildings from the Meiji period are still in use.
Goon: They all seem to have a lot of history.
Goon: But inside, they're all things like banks, police boxes, and hotels.
Kotoko: They're relics of an age of Westernization, but they do have a distinctly Japanese feel to them.
Goon: (I figured she'd say something like that)

9/20: Day 3

Miho: Goon-san.
Goon: Oh, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: Hey, about tomorrow's free time...
Goon: Hmm? What's up?
Miho: If you don't have any plans, could we go together?
Goon: S, sorry, but...
Miho: Is that so? I guess I'll leave you to your plans.

Goon: Who should I invite?

Hikari, of course! It's not like we'll suffer any bad consequences from making Hikari like Goon more...

Hikari: Oh, Gunma-kun. What's up?
Goon: Want to spend some time with me today during free time?
Hikari: Yeah, sure! It'd be really boring to head around alone.

Hikari: The guidebook says that this is the greatest wetland in Japan.

This means that Hikari and Goon are at the Kushiro Shitsugen National Park in Hokkaido.

Hikari: But it's just big is all.
Goon: Whoa, you're not excited at all.
Goon: That's rare for you, Hikari.
Hikari: No, that's not it at all, it's a great place, it's just different from what I imagined.
Goon: Really? What were you imagining?
Hikari: Promise not to laugh?
Goon: Promise.
Hikari: I thought it would be scary.
Hikari: The guidebook said that this place was an "untamed, primordial" place.
Goon: Hahahahaha!
Goon: What, did you think a caveman was going to attack or something?
Goon: You're such a scaredy-cat!

Hikari: Booooo, you said you wouldn't laugh!
Goon: Sorry, sorry.
Hikari: Hahahahaha!
Goon: Hahahahaha!
Hikari: !!
Goon: A, a giant bear?!
Option 1: Flee alone
Option 2: Flee with her
Option 3: Fight so that Hikari can flee.

The Killer Higuma attacked!

The Killer Higuma attacks with Crush Claw, and strangely enough, the bear is strong against ice magic - meaning that poor Drama Club Goon is awfully equipped to fight him.

Oh yeah, and the Salmon Boomerang is back as its finishing move! Look at how much the upgraded graphics have made the salmon really come to life.

Tokimemo 1:

Tokimemo 2:

Goon: Oh no, it's going to eat me!
????: You piece of poo poo!
Hunter: Y'shouldn't come out here! Gitcher rear end home!
Goon: ?!
The Hunter of Justice arrived!
Hunter: This ain't no place fer kids!

Just like in Tokimemo 1, the Hunter of Justice attacks with his legendary gun, "Jiroumaru".

Hunter: Tonight, we're havin' Bear Stew!
Victory!
Thanks, old hunter!
Treasure: Bear pelt

Hikari: Gunma-kun!
Goon: Hey, Hikari.
Hikari: That was pretty scary! But thanks for saving me like that.
Goon: I, I did what anyone else would've done.

(that night...)

Goon: Huh? Hikari? What's up?
Hikari: Want to take a little walk out front?
Goon: What, right now?
Hikari: Yes, right now.
Goon: Sure, I guess.
Hikari: Awesome, let's get moving.
Goon: 'kay.

Hikari: Hokkaido's scenery really was the best.
Hikari: I've been amazed this whole time.
Goon: Yeah, it's all been great, from Hotaru to Kushiro.
Hikari: I want to come back here some time.
Goon: Me too.
Hikari: Really? Alright, it's a promise. Cross your heart, hope to die!
Goon: Whoa whoa whoa, hold on a second!
Hikari: Hehehe, too late, you already promised!
Goon: (Hikari seems happy.)

Aaaaand now I feel guilty.

9/25: Special assembly

Takumi: Yo.
Goon: Hey, Takumi. What's going on?
Takumi: We don't have first period today. They said there's an assembly in the auditorium.
Goon: Oh yeah? Why's that?
Takumi: Supposedly, we have a student teacher coming.
Takumi: Rumor has it, she's a young and beautiful college student. I can't wait to meet her...
Goon: (This guy...)

Goon: (A student teacher? I wonder what kind of person she is?)
Bakuretsuzan: Ahem. To all students!
Bakuretsuzan: I am the principal of this school...

Bakuretsuzan: BAKU
Bakuretsuzan: RETSU
Bakuretsuzan: ZAAAAAN

Yes, this is reused. Yes, it's still just as awesome.

Bakuretsuzan: But, uh, that doesn't really matter right now.
Bakuretsuzan: Today, I'd like to announce that we have a student teacher coming to our school.
Bakuretsuzan: This student teacher will now introduce herself. Listen up!
Kasumi: Um. My name is Asou Kasumi.
Goon: (What?)

Goon: (It really is Kasumi-san.)
Kasumi: I've been really nervous this whole morning, but it's really comforting to see that this school hasn't changed much at all.
Kasumi: I'm only going to be here for two weeks, but I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.
Goon: (I can't believe she's here...)

I understand the reasoning behind the diagonal camera angle that is so common in Japanese simulations and visual novels. It allows for more of the character to appear in the widescreen TV frame without having to zoom out or rotate fully to horizontal orientation. However, I studied so much film that I can't help but wonder why these games always employ the Dutch angle - are you supposed to be disoriented by this shot? Is Goon dizzied and falling over at this revelation? Does it represent Kasumi's alienation in a foreign environment, even though she's only been out of high school for like 3 years and nothing has changed? Well, whatever.

Takumi: Hey, isn't that Kasumi-san right there?
Goon: Y, yeah.
Takumi: Kasumi-san, can I ask you something?

Kasumi: Yes, what is it... what's your name, again?
Kasumi: Wait, could it be?
Goon: It's good to see you, Kasumi-san. It's been a long time.

Kasumi: No way! What are you doing here?
Kasumi: When did you move back?
Goon: Oh, it was right at the beginning of high school.
Bakuretsuzan: Kasumi-san! Could you save the idle chatter for later?
Kasumi: Oh, sorry! I'll be right there.
Kasumi: So anyway, I'll be staying with my parents while I'm interning here.
Kasumi: You and Hikari are welcome any time.
Goon: Sure.
Kasumi: Okay, see you soon.

Takumi: ...I see, you two are already acquainted.
Goon: Yeah, I guess.
Takumi: A fated reunion - I wish I could have one of those.
Goon: It's not like that, man.
Goon: (But this really is a surprise.)

With Kasumi's reintroduction, you'd think that Goon has her phone number or can get it from Hikari. Nope, Takumi has it for some reason! I try not to think too hard about these things, or I'll start thinking about the Dutch angle again.

As you can see, both Miho and Hikari are at the highest level of affection, and even Kotoko has warmed up to Goon over the months in class with him (not to mention high compatibility from the blood type chart).

Meanwhile, Mei is completely unimpressed by Goon, and Kasumi isn't even in the picture.

Asou Kasumi
Born October 9th
Sign: Libra | Blood Type: A
Height: 164cm
Club: None
MEMO: For 2 weeks, she's a student teacher.
She's the gentle older sister type.

10/3: The Legend Returns

Goon: Yo, what're you doing staring up at the bell tower?
Jun: Hmm? Oh, just thinking about something.
Goon: Oh yeah, there's a legend about that bell.
Jun: I heard it from Takumi already.
Jun: I'll make that legend a reality!
Goon: (You've changed a lot, Jun.)
Goon: I'm rooting for you, man.
Kasumi: But that bell won't ring.

Kasumi: When I was here, it was already broken, and I haven't heard anything about them fixing it since.

Jun: (strangled noises)
Kasumi: Oh dear, what's the matter, Hokari-kun?
Goon: Kasumi-sensei, you have unbelievably bad timing.

Poor Jun.

10/7: Kasumi again

Kasumi: Gunma-kun.
Goon: Hey, Kasumi-sensei.
Kasumi: Looks like this is it.
Goon: Yeah, it's going to be a little lonely around here.
Kasumi: I feel the same way.
Kasumi: But you should give me a call some time.
Kasumi: I'm still busy with college, but we can figure something out.
Hikari: Kasumi-saaaaan!
Goon: Hey, Hikari.

Hikari: You're leaving already?
Kasumi: Yes. I wanted to be here longer too, but I have to go take care of things back at school.
Hikari: We didn't even get to go to your house, that's a shame.
Kasumi: Well, you two are still welcome to hang out with me at college.
Hikari: Okay!
Hikari: Oh yeah, I just remembered. You're heading back on Sunday, right?
Kasumi: Yes, that's right.
Hikari: Do you mind if I see you off at the station?
Kasumi: I don't mind at all. *giggle* Thank you.
Hikari: Good, the two of us will be there.
Goon: (What? Two of us?)
Kasumi: My train leaves right at noon.
Hikari: Okay, we'll be there!
Kasumi: Now, I have a few more things to take care of before I go.

Goon: Hikari, when you said "two of us", did you mean--
Hikari: Of course! What, are you not going?
Goon: S, sure, I'll go, but--
Hikari: Then everything's okay!
Goon: (I guess so.)

10/8: Goodbye, Kasumi

Goon: (Crap! I overslept! I have to go see Kasumi-san off at the station today!)
Goon: (Augh, the two of them are already there!)

Goon: Sorry.
Hikari: Geez, you're late!
Kasumi: Haha, you should've called him in the morning to wake him up, Hikari-chan.
Hikari: You're right.
Kasumi: Well, it's almost time.
Goon: What, already?
Hikari: It's your fault for being so late!
Goon: R, right.
Kasumi: Now, you two take good care of each other while I'm gone.
Kasumi: See you!
Hikari: See you later!
Goon: See you later!

A bit of cultural nuance in how Kasumi, Hikari, and Goon say goodbye here - they use the words 行ってきます (ittekimasu) and 行ってらっしゃい (itterasshai), which are most often used when someone's leaving the house in the morning. They carry a bit of a connotation of "I'm heading out, but I'll be back" and "okay, we'll be here to welcome you when you get back" - it's a little hard to explain. But anyway, it's a very familial way of saying goodbye, and carries a lot of closeness with it. When you say these to each other, you're expecting that the next time you see each other, you're going to say ただ今 (tadaima) and お帰り (okaeri), which are the traditional ways to say "I'm home!" and "Welcome home."

Goon: (And so Kasumi-san had to return to college...)

10/8: invite Miho out to a soccer game on the 22nd (she accepts)

10/22: Soccer with B-ho

"Hi, do you remember me? I'm B-I mean Miho, and I am supposed to be the center of attention in spite of not appearing for a few months!

Goon: They're playing soccer at the stadium today, and I managed to score some good seats!
B-ho: Sorry, I'm not very interested in sports, so I can't tell the difference between good and bad seats.
Goon: You shouldn't worry about it anyway. If you're having fun, where you're sitting doesn't matter.

B-ho: It looks all the players who handle the ball the best are all foreign.
Option 1: Well, there's a clear difference in skill.
Option 2: It's because they love the spotlight.
Option 3: I want the Japanese players to play as hard, too.

Let's address the elephant in the room right now: the major Japanese sports have a limit on how many foreign players can be signed to a team. It's four for both J-league soccer and for Nippon Professional Baseball.

The limit is primarily a cost-saving measure so no teams can throw money at foreign talent and create an arms race - I'm told European football leagues impose similar rules for non-European talent to avoid arms races. The rule can carry with it a bit of racist/nationalist baggage - just ask Randy Bass what happened when he dared to threaten Sadaharu Oh's home run record, and try to convince him that it wasn't racially motivated. Beyond that, it's complicated, and I don't feel qualified to elaborate on it.

The point is, B-ho likes 3.

Goon: I want the Japanese players to play as hard, too.
B-ho: I know, right? I definitely love the Japanese players more!

Ah, there it is, the 2-second pause and the polite afterthought "desu". We've missed you, B-ho.

10/26: Goon's birthday

Miho(?): Goon-san!
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan. What's up?
Miho(?): Here's your birthday present!
Goon: What? For me?
Miho(?): It's a rare favor, for me to give someone a present!
Miho(?): So be thankful, okay?
Goon: Yeah, thanks!

Alright, that's definitely B-ho talking.

10/28: Mei's birthday

Goon: Oh yeah, today's Ijuuin-san's birthday, isn't it?
Goon: Should I get her a present?
Goon: Yes, I should.
Goon: What should I get her?
Best option: Superelectromagnetic aprom
Good option: Shoujo manga
Worst option: 8x10 of my wonderful self

Oh god I wanted to give her the 8x10 so badly as revenge for Tokimemo 1. But no, I had to go with the apron.

Mei: What is this?
Goon: It's your birthday present. Go ahead and open it.
Mei: Ooh, this is a happy occasion.
Mei: You understand Mei's interests quite well, rear end in a top hat.
Mei: Today is a great day indeed.
Goon: (Good, it looks like she really liked the present.)

It's really fun translating Mei. I'm not being sarcastic here.

11/1: Bomb warning

The first one of the game! In the absence of evidence, we rely on Tokimemo 1 habits - if there's a bomb, it's probably Megumi Hikari Kotoko acting angry about Hikari being ignored.

Goon: Lately, there's some bad gossip going around about how I'm being cold to the girls...

11/3: Culture festival!

Goon: (Today's the culture festival!)
Goon: Alright, time to help out the club.

Miho: It's just like last year, I'm a wreck.
Miho: My heart's about to leap out of my chest.
Goon: Take some deep breaths. They'll help you relax.
Miho: I'll try.
Miho: You're right, it really helped me calm down.
Goon: (I should really do that myself.)

This year's play isn't quite as good as the Lone Fox and Cub, but it still has its moments.

http://gfycat.com/ImpoliteIdleChital

And now, the Hibikino High School Drama Club presents the classic fairy tale, Cinjitella.

Prince: Young miss!
Pumpkin carriage: The doors are closing. Please stand clear of the doors.
Cinjitella: No!
Cinjitella: W, Wait for meeeeeee!

And so, Cinjitella's night of adventure came to an end.

Miho: Things went well this year, too.
Goon: Yup. Good work, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: Well done.
Goon: (Shirayuki-chan looks utterly drained too.)

Goon: How was the culture festival?
Miho: It was worth waiting for a year. It was even more fun than last year!
Goon: (It really was a lot of fun.)

11/12: Check out that bomb

I'm sorry, Hikari. Truly, truly sorry.

11/19: Invite Hikari to go shopping on 11/23 (she accepts)

11/23: Blatant attempt to make LP readers feel guilty

Goon: (Whoa. Hikari's already here.)
Hikari: I made it here a little early, so I got kinda bored, Gunma-kun.
Goon: I see. I probably should've gotten here earlier myself.
Hikari: No, it's not your fault. I got here early because I wanted to be here, that's all.
Goon: (Well, at least she's not angry.)

Goon: So, where should we head n--
Goon: Where'd Hikari go?
Goon: Hikari!
Goon: Where'd she go?
Goon: Hikari!!
Goon: HEY, Hikari!
Goon: That's weird. I'll go backtrack.

Hikari: There you are! Finally found you.
Hikari: Good, I was worried that you just left without me.
Goon: That's my line.
Hikari: That's so mean! It's your fault, because you ran on ahead and disappeared on me.
Goon: Hey now, I was just walking like I always do.
Hikari: Fine, but let's hold hands so we don't get split up.
Hikari: Like old times.
Goon: What? No way, not in public.

Hikari: Don't be shy.
Hikari: So, where are we heading today?
Option 1: Yeah, let's head to the boutique.
Option 2: The fancy shop sounds good.

Hello, childhood memories! We meet again!

Goon: The fancy shop sounds good.
Hikari: You read my mind! Hurry, hurry, let's go!

Hikari: That little glass squirrel badge is really cute! I wonder if I should buy it?
Option 1: That same squirrel's on a keychain that's pretty cute too.
Option 2: Where do you put those things on, anyway?
Option 3: It doesn't cost that much, I'll buy it for you.

Goon: It doesn't cost that much, I'll buy it for you.
Hikari: What? Really?
Hikari: Well, okay, maybe I'll let you do this for me once in a while.

Hikari: Hey, are you hungry? We still have some time, so we should swing by somewhere.
Option 1: Sure, let's do that.
Option 2: Sorry, I have to be home soon.

This is another of Tokimemo 2's new systems - the follow-up date. Assuming the weather is good, the girl already likes you, and the impression you made was good or great, the girl will ask if you want to grab dinner on the way home. It's pretty much pure upside. And hey, it's not like Hikari's affection can actually get any higher.

Goon: Sure, let's do that.
Hikari: That's what I wanted to hear. Let's go!

Hikari: Hmm? Are you just getting coffee?
Goon: Yeah, this is enough for me.
Hikari: Want some of my parfait?
Goon: What? No, I'm fine.
Hikari: Don't hold back, just open your mouth and say "ah"!
Option 1: O, okay. Ahhhhh
Option 2: N, no way, that's way too embarrassing.

Goon: N, no way, that's way too embarrassing.
Hikari: Hahahaha! You're turning all red!
Goon: (drat, she got me good.)

November of year 2 is done, and that marks just past the halfway point of the B-ho run! The next stretch is going to be pretty event-heavy, especially since B-ho finally gets some events that are unique to her instead of shared with Miho.

Next time: It's like you're not even trying anymore

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 28, 2014

TaxEvader
Apr 28, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Hikari: That little glass squirrel badge is really cute! I wonder if I should buy it?
Option 1: That same squirrel's on a keychain that's pretty cute too.
Option 2: Where do you put those things on, anyway?
Option 3: It doesn't cost that much, I'll buy it for you.

Goon: It doesn't cost that much, I'll buy it for you.
Hikari: What? Really?
Hikari: Well, okay, maybe I'll let you do this for me once in a while.

Hikari: Hey, are you hungry? We still have some time, so we should swing by somewhere.
Option 1: Sure, let's do that.
Option 2: Sorry, I have to be home soon.

Mix up with the photos there.

Are you going to show any Miho events if you run into them?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Worst option: 8x10 of my wonderful self
I am so happy that the Japanese word for that is "bromide". Shine on, you crazy language. :allears:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

TaxEvader posted:

Mix up with the photos there.

Are you going to show any Miho events if you run into them?

Edited.

I've shown a couple of Miho events already, though they'll become a bit more sparse as the game goes later and later, since that's when B-ho's unique events start kicking in (instead of being shared with Miho).

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

FractalSandwich posted:

I am so happy that the Japanese word for that is "bromide". Shine on, you crazy language. :allears:

Wait, so that drat item from Chrono Trigger that's confused me all my life was a photo?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, so that drat item from Chrono Trigger that's confused me all my life was a photo?

The English definition is actually a drug that calms people. :eng101: The Japanese term is indeed a photo though. You give the thing to an old man, right? If so, then both definitions could work! :v:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Mei: You understand Mei's interests quite well, rear end in a top hat.
Mei: Today is a great day indeed.
Goon: (Good, it looks like she really liked the present.)

WHY does this game have so many awesome girls in it?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

The English definition is actually a drug that calms people. :eng101: The Japanese term is indeed a photo though. You give the thing to an old man, right? If so, then both definitions could work! :v:

It's a term for a photo because silver bromide and related chemicals are highly photosensitive, and thus are (were?) used in camera films.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gyre posted:

It's a term for a photo because silver bromide and related chemicals are highly photosensitive, and thus are (were?) used in camera films.

Dictionary calls it a sedative.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Things can be two things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromide_paper#Black_and_White_emulsion_types

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Wow. After reading that brief of Mei, I can't decide whether or not I want the next run to be Miyuki or Mei. :allears:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes, these are the same choices from Tokimemo 1. Once again, B-ho is not eligible to show up to the school trip

No one seems to really care, but did we ever actually learn B-ho's real name? (I edited the quote just in case.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kimitsu posted:

No one seems to really care, but did we ever actually learn B-ho's real name? (I edited the quote just in case.)

We technically don't even know they're different people at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kimitsu posted:

At the same time we learn that they're not both just Miho pretending to be someone else.

• Locked thread