Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Maen

Maen nodded. The only sin of the baron was cowardice. Hiding his love for fear of his life. The Beast was dismissed. Once she had loved, but it had burned out, as love sometimes does. Only one was worthy of her support in this.

The decision not to intervene was quickly forgotten. She never bothered to learn the name of the girl. It didn't matter, only her love mattered, and what she was willing to do for it.

And so, as the girl rested in her tower, being spied on by the man hiding his love, she would dream...

She was in a shadowy place, lit only by the moon. It seemed to be a moonlit garden, but without any order. Paths winded, ended in dead ends or leading back unto itself. Statues and paintings were scattered without rhyme or reason, and occasionally seemed to change while one was not looking at them. The plants grew wild, hiding much from view. From unseen areas came scattered notes of beautiful music, no and then with the sighs and laughter of happy couples. except some of the laughter sounded... manic. Even the moon seemed to disobey, having a different form each time she gazed upon it.

And then she'd see a vision of the baron, looking around fearfully, running into the hedges. As she followed, thorns would grasp at her sides, hurting her. The object of her love always just out of her view, but his footsteps could be heard.

And then... the footsteps stopped, and she found herself face to face with Maen. She lounged on a beautiful silver couch, its silk sparkling with beauty. Her dress was white, set with sapphires, though it seemed to change as she watched. Her skin a pale blue, her lips slightly darker and a welcoming smile on them. Her eyes were sparkling silver.

"Welcome, girl. I am Maen. The one who favours the artists, the mad and the lovers." She leaned forward. "You love the baron, despite his disloyalty, his cruelty, his cowardice." She smiled. "That makes you favoured by me, for love has no need of reason." Briefly her smile had a slight edge of madness, before turning to a more serene smile.

"How does one measure love? By the things one is willing to do for it, to sacrifice for it. For you, the baron has made sacrifices. Has banished his wife, has made himself into a figure of sin, has made himself hated and feared by his people. Yet now, fear keeps him from acting. He suffers, he might go mad yet with suffering, if he is not already."

Those silver eyes fixed on her. "What are you willing to do girl? What are you willing to sacrifice for him?" She reached up, and in front of her eyes Maen took the crescent moon out of the sky, turning it to a silver glow in her hands, her pale fingers straightening it out. "You know who stands in your way. Your are innocent. Never have you killed, or desired one's death. But now, the woman that once loved now but hates. While she lives, your love cannot blossom."

The mmoon grabbed out of the sky was made into a blade. It was artful, fine, looking more like a thing made for show, as if it would break on the first strike. Yet its edge was sharp, and as she planted the knife in the marble floor under her it easily slid inside. "Take the blade, lover of the baron. Take it, and that tower will not hold you. Announce your love. And face the Beast. For the sake of your love, you will kill her, you will kill the wife of the one you love. And you will sacrifice her heart to me, the patroness of lovers, in front of the people. Or leave, and wither in that tower, alongside with your love for him."

Appear in the Mistress' dream to give her a magical blade. (if she agrees, she'll wake up with the blade beside her) instruct her to escape, declare her love for the Baron, and face the beast in Mortal combat, then publicly sacrifice her heart to Maen. If she does that, she is free to use the blade afterwards as she will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Meroth

Meroth turned his attention away from the oracle, after he made sure that his message was heard. Another land called for him, Baron Kar-Nor's Land, filled with hatred and terror. But he also felt the presence of another being like him. One of his siblings was meddling in this perfect place.

The mistress would be the key to this. A poor being locked up by the baron out of fear of losing her. How mistreated the girl was, how she must lust of vengeance. Meroth would grant her that. It was his will.

As he touched her dreams he could again feel someone else there and now it was clear to him who it was: Maen. He would not tolerate her insolence and destroy her plans. He silently watched as the blade was granted to the mistress. Then he interceded, trying to push Maen out of the mortals thoughts.

"The baron is disloyal and cruel towards you and therefore you should hate him. There is no reason to be found in loving him and seeking vengeance is well justified." He grinned, revealing a row of sharp, needle-like teeth.

"How does one measure the hatred of the people for the baron? He banished his wife, has made himself into a figure of sin and has locked you up in your little tower. He does not suffer, but he might make other go mad with suffering, like you. What are you willing to do girl? Are you willing to sacrifice him? "

"You know who stands in your way. Your are innocent. Never have you killed, or desired one's death. But now, the man that once loved now but hates. While he lives, your life cannot blossom."

Meroth pointed to the blade. "A fine blade was given to you, small one. Take the blade, bane of the baron. Take it, and that tower will not hold you. Announce your hate. And face the baron. For the sake of your revenge, you will kill him, you will kill the man who keeps you for his own sake. And you will sacrifice his heart to me, the patron of revenge, in front of the people. There is no other choice for you."

Going to twist Shogenton's action. Instead of killing the beast the mistress should escape the tower and kill the baron and sacrifice his heart to me.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
:smugwizard: :siren: For future posts!: When you post affecting an area or manifesting somewhere I want a location put in next to your name in the format I currently use for my own posts. I want the nation name(if any) and the city/place where it or you is happening. :siren:
      • Severe PUNISHMENTS and terrible MISHAPS will be horrifying and extremely detrimental to your domain (and hence your god's) advancement

Another item to note, if you're actually doing actions they need to be posted in thread. No secret stuff. If I've somehow misread everything and missed it my apologies. But yes for future reference if you're doing things I need a charactery post. If you're asking me questions thats ok, but if you're actually doing something we're going to keep it all above board!

Cipher - The Confederacy of Merchant Princes, Fairdeal

A shrine appears in the former city of Fairdeal, its pristine beauty almost screaming in the silence. Cipher appeared. Immortal. Mysterious. Patient. Those that would come in time would come and see.

Woah. This will be interesting as hell I have to say.

pre:
Mysteries	has been	Advanced
Mimsy - Elven Refuge

The small yet neigh immortal Elven leaders stirred from their meditations, sleep having failed them long ago to rest a troubled mind and suddenly found themselves dreaming for the first time in a hundred years. Tears filled their wakeless eyes as the message became clear. The forest gods had returned. Or at least one had. Though she went by a different name, it was clear she was an elven deity. They were sure of it. Upon waking they would call their wisest to try and make sense of the dream. Was it an omen for the eventual return of elven supremacy over the world?

The elves will know about you but only those that had the dream will not doubt you are what you are.

Mimsy - Beld, Tik Tok Tower

While recycling had its uses, the creators at Tik Tok Tower had very exacting specifications to many of its works for its many customers. Many if the lesser shops and businesses (of which there were many) picked up the practice for economic reasons. It wouldn't slow down the larger manufactories from consuming needlessly, it did slightly slow the rampant use or resources.(for now) It did however slow down industry and growth as well as the advance of civilization in this area in a large but not crippling way.

A minor dent in pollution and lessening of resource use.

Mimsy - Florn, Seaside

Followers of the Gohdog suddenly found they had a knack for growing barley and hops. This gladdened the fattening people who were just now learning the divine art of the brew. People in general were happier for this.

pre:
Cheer	        has been	Advanced
Education	has been	Advanced
Elves	        has been	Advanced
Gluttony	has been	Advanced
Hospitality	has been	Advanced
Industry	has been	Setback
Inebriation	has been	Advanced
Invention	has been	Setback
Nature	        has been	Advanced
Prosperity	has been	Advanced
Ignatz - Confederacy of Merchant Princes, Fairdeal

The refugees who were traveling and running for their very lives and sanity suddenly were struck with odd thoughts. No matter the pleading of those unaffected by whatever madness had infected the rest, people cried and screamed in misery as they watched their relatives and loved ones march back to the forest of where they had come. It took many blistering days and nights of fasting and starvation during the march back without supplies to make it. Eyes feverish, the people clawed their way like animals back into Fairdeal. Inside at first sight there was an unearthly shrine which gave the people pause...

Then they laid eyes on Cipher. A living goddess. In the cores of their beings, the people KNEW what she was. Minds shattered. People killed themselves or murdered others. An orgy took place in one area while cannibalism took place in another. Both at the same time were just as frequent. The people here would all be mentally useless. But not all of them. A handful escaped the chaos and hid in the ruins of an old bakery inside the old stove oven. These had the gift of prophecy or force of will to be leaders and could be useful to a god with the right talents.

Yeah this was setup from earlier so you marched them into the grinder. There's about a dozen or so useful people out of the large population that any god can use that didn't revert to an animal or had their minds turn off on them. [note: almost everyone is still alive, they're just crazypeople in the woods now]

pre:
Chaos	        has been	Advanced
Gluttony	has been	Advanced
Ignorance	has been	Advanced
Lies	        has been	Advanced
Love	        has been	Advanced
Madness	        has been	Advanced
Peace	        has been	Setback
Prophecy	has been	Advanced
Terror	        has been	Advanced
Travel	        has been	Advanced
Meroth vs Maen [in the mind of the mistress] Baron Kar Nor's Lands, Kaarn/Cursed Forest

The mistress reeled from the visions that cloaked their true sources while showing her the purity of their purpose. It all became so clear, the hate and torment separating her from purity and love. It would be easy, oh so easy to call him to her. Grasping the silver sword in hand she shattered the bindings and very door to her prison in one stroke. What lay there deep inside, deep inside her heart and could she obey? Guardsmen and servants alike ran from the look on her face, contorted with emotion. The blade seethed and hissed then thrummed with sparkling light.

"I am Mina and I will be FREE!" She shouted as the Baron himself rushed to stop her from leaving. Standing there heaving, the moon glinting on the blade in the hateful darkness outside the man she waited. Almost immediately the Beast arrived perhaps waiting nearby. No daily renewed wards or protections were there to keep it at bay.

Silently the trio stood together for moments and suddenly the Baron ran towards Mina his face contorted in fury. "NO! I told you!"

The Beast shrieked. "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! I'VE COME TO EAT YOUR SOUL YOU SSSSSLUUUUUTTTTTTTT!"

It all happened too quickly. Mina spun and the Beast and baron collided past her. The baron shrieked in surprise, the beast bayed, and Mina fell to the ground like a fallen rose petal.

Silence reined. Nothing moved. Then a voice spoke over the darkening stain of blood in the grass. So much blood. "Its over. My love it's finally over."

[all can view]Mina ran to her beloved Baron, treading lightly over the corpse of the Beast. "We can be free, we can finally be free love! She laughed, happy for the first time in forever. Though the process to heal their small Barony would take many many years to undo the systemic abuse, at least for the happy couple it was all over.

[i]Maen won out. The Curse is broken over the people of the land. Other curses exist but nothing as major as this.
[/all can view]

pre:
Destruction	has been	Advanced
Hatred	        has been	Setback
Legends	        has been	Advanced
Lore	        has been	Advanced
Love	        has been	Advanced
Moon	        has been	Advanced
Peace	        has been	Advanced
Quests	        has been	Advanced
Revenge	        has been	Setback

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 21, 2014

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:smugwizard: OH while I'm updating it seems most of you are done, I'm going to update for the year and hand out points in a day or so.

Feel free to roleplay and talk to one another since you all can do that! Some of you haven't exchanged a word and its slightly strange :P.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
As the year comes to an end, Platonis makes a point of calling the first Conclave of Gods. He invites them to his personal heaven, modified (his heaven is very modifiable) so that each God will have a suitable space to inhabit. Some are personally distasteful, but there are rules to being the perfect host, and those rules must be followed. Even Ignatz has a small, dark, corner where he can huddle, if he chooses to attend.

Platonis address his fellow gods, those who chose to come see him gesture in a classic oratory style, other gods still hear his voice in their own heavens:

"My fellow divinities, I have invited you here so we can mingle and plan for the future of our new world. I'm sure we can have a much greater impact on existence if we work together instead of butting heads. I know I myself can be blamed for coming into conflict with a fellow god, but we have put that unpleasantness behind us and plan to work together peacefully in the future."

"To begin our discussions, I have a proposal. I have noticed that many of you have manifested in some way, choosing prophets to speak your will. Some have come in dreams... some have decided to appear in less subtle ways."

"I propose a better way. Thanks to my efforts, the Printing Press has been invented in this world. But thus far the humans have only their own inadequate words to imprint on paper. I would give them new words, better words, holy words. Each one of you who supports this plan will get to write their own chapter of the Great Book. There you can identify yourself, express yourself, and tell the mortals the proper way to live."

"I want you each to support the book, in an organized fashion so we don't interfere with each other. Here's what I think you should do:

Mimsy: I can already anticipate your protest. If this book is printed and spread far and wide, it will mean the death of many trees. So your contribution will be solving this problem for us. I want you to create an enchanted forest, which will willingly and sustainably produce perfect sheets of paper to be crafted into the holy books.

Cipher: You can instill thoughts and dreams of the book in the far corners of the earth. So it is a mystery talked about in whispers, welcomed as holy when it finally comes.

Amrom: I want you to hurry the production so that the books can be printed on a massive scale.

Maen: I want you to do some art imbued with holy power, so all who look upon it know that it is the TRUTH given by the GODs. It's NOT ok to make everyone who looks upon the art completely mad. I will sample the art with a few mortals first and remove it if that happens. It can inflame the senses and inspire love, but NO COMPLETE INSANITY! Ok?

Godhog my friend: I want you to ease the spread of the book. Bless it, so that it will travel far and wide, and people will accept the book into their homes with grace, cheer, and hospitality.

Meroth: I want you to instill fear in any who dare disrespect the Gods and their holy book. Those who reject our message deserve no mercy.

Ignatz. IGNATZ! Is he even listening to me? Ignatz: I want you to do nothing, ok? If you do nothing with this book I will promise to just leave your section blank. Just nothing but nice, clean, blank pages. Ok? If you try to stop it, you will lose. And then I'm going to write an encyclopedic entry describing exactly who you are!

Each God will get a chapter. I will write the introduction. If you don't participate, I will include you in the book, but it will be a nice little completely accurate description written by me. I will spend a great deal of my holy energies to forge the great Printing Plates and Printing Press that will make the book, and to aid its spread with Godhog. I will also reserve a large amount of power to protect this effort from any wrongheaded individuals" he gives the dark corner a long look.

"Are there any other proposals?"

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Meroth - Platonis' crib

Meroth accepted Platonis' invitation and came to the conclave. The setback in the barony still angered him, but he would have his own vengeance soon enough.

Meroth listened to the proposal of a holy book about the himself and his siblings. After hearing Platonis out, Meroth stepped forward and started to speak. "Dear brother, please do tell me, but why should we go along with this? Most of us do not stand to gain anything from it."

"More importantly, it will hurt some of us. You propose that Mimsy encourages the greed of man and give them a forest they could endlessly exploit. Not to speak of all the other printing presses, your first gift to the mortals, that will lead to the death of countless trees. Perhaps the elves would lose even more land as a result of this."

"Then there is poor Cipher. If the mortals would know everything about us how many mysteries will be left? No more legends or prophecies if everything is laid out in front of them already."

"Of course I also don't want to forget to mention Ignatz. Your arrogant behavior and direct threats towards him are not only an insult to him, but to us all. It is clear that you want to use us to your own ends. Your actions are clear proof for this."

"So my own proposal is that you should be punished for your arrogance. All traces of those printing presses should be destroyed and Tik-Tok Towers together with it."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Maen - Platonis' home

Maen too arrives, finding her own decorated part of the room to her liking, lounging luxuriously on it, a happy smile on her visage. Oh, it wasn't a permanent one, but what is permanent? She should enjoy the moment as it lasted.

She grinned as Meroth spoke. "Hah, I wouldn't say it is a better way, Platonis. Books are dead and lifeless, words have their greatest power when spoken in passion. And how can we not clash? What manner of world would you build that would gladden both Meroth and me?" She gave the God of Hate a wink. "He and I will struggle, as many of us will. We should take care not to destroy this world, naturally, but I will not be contained in some grand scheme, oh architect."

"But that book of yours. Hmmmm... I would not be opposed to it. Truth is your area, not mine though, but I could make its words stir passion in hearts. And I would hate to see a book about the gods being written as a dry and dull set of rules. I'll give assistance." She inclined her head.

"OAnd of course he searches to advance knowledge, dear brother Meroth. And he is somewhat arrogant, is he not? But punishment? Hah, by what rule? By what authority? We are gods, we obey no law. If he offends you that much, strike at him, maybe convince others to do so. But punishment? For those who are above rules? A laughable notion."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Vulin posted:

Meroth - Platonis' crib

Meroth accepted Platonis' invitation and came to the conclave. The setback in the barony still angered him, but he would have his own vengeance soon enough.

Meroth listened to the proposal of a holy book about the himself and his siblings. After hearing Platonis out, Meroth stepped forward and started to speak. "Dear brother, please do tell me, but why should we go along with this? Most of us do not stand to gain anything from it."

"More importantly, it will hurt some of us. You propose that Mimsy encourages the greed of man and give them a forest they could endlessly exploit. Not to speak of all the other printing presses, your first gift to the mortals, that will lead to the death of countless trees. Perhaps the elves would lose even more land as a result of this."

Platonis

"Then there is poor Cipher. If the mortals would know everything about us how many mysteries will be left? No more legends or prophecies if everything is laid out in front of them already."

"Of course I also don't want to forget to mention Ignatz. Your arrogant behavior and direct threats towards him are not only an insult to him, but to us all. It is clear that you want to use us to your own ends. Your actions are clear proof for this."

"So my own proposal is that you should be punished for your arrogance. All traces of those printing presses should be destroyed and Tik-Tok Towers together with it."

"Why would you go along with this Meroth? You really believe you have nothing to gain? Did you have nothing to gain when you delivered the message of your wrath to East Norn? If you help, your words will be in your chapter, not mine. Words to strike terror into man. Words to encourage his hatred. And it's not like the tast I ask of you would not aid your domain. I'm basically asking you to keep doing what you've been doing before, just mention a Book they must obey to appease the gods, with all the fire and brimstone. And Cipher. Cipher, imagine what you could put in your portion of the book! The mysteries, the prophecies, the turns of phrase that people will puzzle over for thousands of years! With the aid of your fellow gods the book will spread across the world, but your chapter will be studied the most. They will know that the book is the work of the gods, so every word will be important, meaningful, and full of mystery. Finding the truth behind a single passage of your chapter could be a lifeling quest! Mimsy would not be encouraging greed, but a holy work! By growing a forest that can never be cut down, and only giving its pages to the creation of one great book, she will make people see nature itself as sacred. They will grow near by a wild and enchanted forest, and they will love and respect other lesser forests like it. The forest could even be tended only by Elves, implying that they are the closest people to the gods, and the most trusted species. I will not quibble with the specifics. Ignatz... well hopefully Ignatz isn't listening."

Platonis smiles at Maen's acceptance, "thank you. Perhaps you are right that we cannot all work together. I would like to try first. Perhaps I am just an idealist. I do not like madness, but I can accept it occasionally for the sake of great art. I do not pretend to understand how you think, but is not Art and Madness more special in a world where it is a rare gift? Is not the moon more beautiful for appearing only in the shadow of the sun? I can even work with Ignatz, if his doubt were directed towards making people less sure and thus more cunning, and his lies were whispered to facilitate a good society, and his fire was contained to heat homes. Perhaps we must someday clash, but a perfect world contains many things... in moderation."

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Gohgod - The Meeting

The Great Pig wanders from domain to domain, never settling long in one. He says nothing, seems to barely pay attention to the meeting except to squeal or grunt without true purpose at the long-winded platitudes.

He invites himself into the other's designated areas, nibbling a divine curtain here, chomping a book of disasterous secrets that no mortal should know there, gnawing a leg of the throne of bones on the other side of the room.

Nothing is left safe from his divine taste test, before he finally settles back into his own space, his porcine legs crossing upward and his front cloven feet touching together to contemplate. He sits upon his fat flowing bottom, allowing it to meld about and droop down to the floor where he budges back and forth to settle in perfectly, before his beady pork-eyes close shut.

His voice contradicts that of his prophet's, instead of booming and deep it is soft and honey-like. The sweetened words seem to flow from him in his zen state, "You cannot give hospitality to a book nor the ideas inside of it. Hospitality is a gift to be given to those who carry these things. To force our way into the hearts of mortals with propaganda and punishment is a task of folly, as a foundation built upon resent and paranoia is not one worth building a home upon."

The pig's manifestation grunts as the halo of angelic lights surround it still, the words continuing to flow like melting springwater, "We are still guests in the home of the mortals, not yet masters. Allow them to welcome us into their hearts, and us nor them will be left wanting."

The hog god's divine halo fades away with a slurp, before his posture slumps into its fatty rolls. His manifestation wriggles and squeals as it flops around on the floor, before he begins inviting himself into the personal space of other gods once again.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis, gesturing broadly on the speaker's pulpit.

"Then why choose a prophet?... Here, have an apple," Platonis lazily throws the pig-god a Pear Apple as he speaks, a delicacy that does not yet exist in this world, but should. If he is frustrated he doesn't show it. He seems confident, even arrogantly confident, that his words can sway gods, "The book will travel far and wide, and encourage others to travel with it, and share it. Hospitality can be taught. It comes from the heart, but mortals are often given to folly, and they cannot always see what is inside them until they are told where to look. A book is not dead when it has our will inside it. A book is not dead when it is discussed and celebrated by people all over the world. We may be guests still in this world, but sometimes a guest can be a blessing, for a guest can teach his host truths of the world that he does not yet know. Look at all of the hatred still in this world. Look at the war. A shared book, a shared story, and a shared ethos of hospitality will help unite them."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Amrom, Who Comes In Threes, Heavenly Book Discussion

Intrusion.
Such hubris.
But, he has a good idea.

The bodies of Amrom filter in, slowly hovering towards the pulpit. "The pig is right. We do not force ourselves on mortals. Any who cannot appreciate our gifts are unsuitable anyway." Chairs of bone materialize, and they sit down, metal clanking and grinding against bone. "But, we as Amrom recognize books are not a form of force. No one is forced to read a book. It is a voluntary pursuit."

Amrom chatters amongst itself, incomprehensibly, then continues. "If someone does not want to help, they do not have to help, and they can have no message in the book. That is reasonable. Let everyone have the offer given to Ignatz if they so please." In unison, they look up at the pulpit. "Platonis, we will do as asked, contributing a chapter and improving productivity in areas with the printing press. We will do this to the best of our ability, but you must do something as well. You must ensure these pitiable mortals can actually read the book, and if it is banned, we expect to see whether you have any prowess in battle."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cipher - the Heavens

Though her physical self rests in the world below, her dream image is present to giggle at the antics of the divine hog. She nods gracefully as the the Amrom enter. "Perhaps Platonis' book would ignite the mortals' curiosity... but then, perhaps it would not." She smiles knowingly. "I would gladly fill a thousand pages with my... wisdom, dear brother. After all, what could be more mysterious than a tome in which are penned the thoughts of both Ignatz and yourself, and both Maen and Meroth?"

The maze patterns carved into the walls of her alcove in the Conclave chamber shimmer slightly, then rearrange themselves, closing pathways and opening new ones. "I would certainly prefer we didn't just give it to them, though. What have they done to deserve such knowledge? Our porcine friend may be right -- they should grow to know us, not have our will fed to them like so much porridge. We will make this book of yours, if that is your wish, but I would see to it that only the worthiest may understand its riddles, and only after a lifetime of study."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

The old, dignified, statue-esque god gestures towards Amrom first. "I would see that it is seen by all. There is no point to a book if it isn't read."

Then Cipher, "yes, well you will have a chapter to fill with whatever you desire. I plan on making my part of the book more understandable, and I hope to bring it into every home. But you can make the mysteries of your portion as inscrutable as you like, so that great scholars can spend their lives pondering a single phrase. Your part can be a mystery in every home. A great puzzle that stands before everyone, in easy reach but still tantalizingly impenetrable."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:smugwizard: Just popping in to say, the BOOK may be more damaging than realized. The BOOK may be more helpful than realized. Reminder: Collaboration is done in parts. One guy makes book, one guy makes chapter etc.

If the book is opposed it will take power but not stop the other chapters/documents from being written. They just won't be in a handy book and as easy to distribute. People may not want to do it either, or go ahead anyway.

Opposing another god's chapter from being written would be a neat way to cut them out of getting part of the pie.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 22, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Platonis' home

Maen laughs with delight and a slight edge of mania at some of the discussion, reaching out to run a slender hand over the divine hog's porcine head. "Not forcing our way into the hearts of mortals? That might be the way for some of you." She stood, whirling around, taking a few dance steps to music only she could hear. "But I am love, I am inspiration, I am madness. I do not come when asked, and I do not leave when bid. Like you, dear brother Gohdog, I make my way somewhere, make it more lively, even if things get broken at times." She looked at a fine looking statue that had broken as the other god had tipped it over. It was carelessly thrown away, vanishing into nothingness.

She grinned. "But it sounds delightful. One book containing the works of many of us? With some divine attention from so many sources in one thing, some of it perhaps to destroy it." Another delighted chuckle. "I cannot wait to see where this leads to. And this printing press is a good thing. Poetry, novels, plays... they can reach and inspire farther and easier now. Hah, and this Book shall contain some of the first. But know this, this book will be several voices, each singing their own song. I have no intent to support some grand unified order you wish to create." As suddenly she had stood, she suddenly sat down. The word 'order' sounded like a slur in her mouth. "It will be each of our manifestos. The book will contradict itself, one chapter forbidding what the other one demands. I love it!"

"So, let us start preparations. Who is going to be part of this, who stays out of it, and who promises to try to prevent it."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:smugwizard: Also, I'm unsure if you guys are trying to do this now or after the in game year ends? I saw some chatter in IRC that said it one way, then another.

If I don't see any more forward momentum by the end of tonight, I'm updating anyway.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
The year passes. - The World
MUSIC: http://youtu.be/I23xPqI1dSM

Ships sail the seas faster than they ever have and pirate fleets rule the oceans. Maybe in a year or two will the designs be thwarted. The printing press has started to make its way onto carts and ships. Perhaps next year they will be in production everywhere. The heralding of the return of Meroth has reached a fever pitch and slowly cults dedicated to appeasing the dark lord have appeared almost everywhere. Necromancy has pierced the heart of the elven nation from its mage school, the mountains where the trollfather's realm exists soon too have begun to use necromantic rites and sorcery. It may spread out of control if not checked. Nature seemingly went mad over in a small part of the Confederacy of Merchant Princes. The stories tell of a city of nature gone amok filled with madmen and worse. In the north, Baron Kar Nor wed his mistress only to have his wedding attacked by agents from Beld. The change in the Baron's nature seen as a sign of weakness. His lady love eviscerated the interlopers before carrying off her husband to their nuptials. The signs that the hospitality of being a gracious host increased the number of travelers and hence increased the number of brigands to take advantage of them. Many were not harmed but many a coin purse were removed, ending most travelers' travels. Some speak in whispers of strange creatures that walk in secret around the leylines of the world...

Sent you all PMs with points.

God who has benefited the most from others' actions the past year: Gohdog
God who has been harmed the most from others' actions the past year: Platonis

Amrom: Feels his grip on Undeath slipping.
Cipher: Feels her grip on Quests slipping.
Gohdog: Feels his grip on Good Luck slipping.
Ignatz: Feels he has almost lost his domain of Fire.
Maen: Feels she has almost lost her grip on the Moon.

Players most frequently: Feed other gods points and seemingly refuse to "seriously" powercheck others.

GM Advice: A few of you are on your way to 400lb gorilla status, eventually your peers will not even be able to hurt your feelings. Crush them. If you're not doing well, try to curb other gods' growth. If not, you may find yourself no longer in the big leagues.

Year 2 begins.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 3, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - Seaside - First through the Gate, First to the Punch

The pig god's manifestation squealed and thrashed around in the meeting, though it became evident that his attention was elsewhere-

A wise old monk in Seaside, a man who enjoyed his long nights of wine and women, found himself suddenly distracted. The shortness of life weighed down upon his shoulders; where would his wisdom go when he died? Spoken word would be lost and changed from speaker to speaker, but written word, oh yes, that was a permanent thing for sure.

He began his task of feverish writing, stories springing to his mind as quill met parchment.

quote:

There was once a pair of merchants who followed the same route, always competing to gain the most profit out of their trade. At one point they came to a fork in the road; one route lead up through the mountains to a poor shepherd's community, the other was a straight shot to the biggest city on the coast!

There was only room on these roads for one wagon on each, so the older merchant, in his kindness, allowed the younger man to take the right path that was the low road straight through a tunnel to the city. He was sure that his experience would make up for the lost time, and he bid him farewell as he took his cart up on the left path through the mountain passes.

The man traveled for days through the mountains, before finally coming to Anopportunity, where some of the poorest goat herders resided. He was out of feed for his horse, he was exhausted, and one of his wagon's wheels was on the verge of breaking from rolling over the rocky ground. The old man found no inn in Anopportunity, for it was a poor place where no travelers would go, so he was forced to knock upon the door of a house.

Two families of the poor goatherds lived in the house; their clothing was threadbare, some were without shoes, and with the coming winter it was questionable whether these poor folk would make it. The head of the house invited the merchant in, offering him what meager scraps they could, a small feast to celebrate a stranger passing through. Though the bread was stale, the cheese moldy, and the ale watered down, the gesture warmed the old merchant's heart.

They were in luck that the man was carrying textiles to the busy port to be traded away, as was his younger rival, but because he was a wise and experienced old merchant he could afford the loss of this load. He gave the families of Anopportunity boots, socks, trousers, shirts, and jackets, all of fine make. The small town celebrated the man, and gave him many goats from their herd to compensate him for the great loss in his profits.

The next day he left, his wagon empty except for his meager personal belongings, with a herd of goats in tow. Another few days passed and he reached the busy port city and his rival, but the young man didn't make any coin from this venture. Instead he had found that the market in the busy port had been flooded with textiles from elsewhere, and there were many other merchants who were given the same tip as they were to bring cloth and clothing to this place.

But what the old man quickly found was that there was a large market for fresh milk and meat, for all the sailors stuck in the port with their goods had worked up mighty appetites. He sold the many goats that he brought down from Anopportunity for a great profit. His young rival asked him, "How did you know this would happen, old man? There was no way to tell!"

The old man winked and replied, "In mountains, food, and travel cold left overs are better than passing right under an opportunity."

The monk had never been one for tacky jokes, but something had touched him and inspired him to write many more like it...

Gohdog is going to expend influence to have one of his followers begin writing a book of allegories and stories that always end in a fun, light hearted joke. These stories are made to promote kindness, care, and a little bit of risk taking in people.

These stories, however, will not find themselves in the BIG DIVINE BOOK that will soon be printed. They are simply just good stories that people will enjoy telling each other and their children! It would just be his luck if one of the merchant vessels carrying printing presses around the world happened to come to Seaside as a stopover for a good drink and port call!

Gohdog - The Conclave of the Magi

His pig nose twitched and sniffed, turning to sniff the Conclave of the Magi nearby Florn.

What's the CotM's deal?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Meroth - Conclave of Gods

Slowly Meroth grew tired of the debate in the conclave. "It seems that some of you are foolish enough to go along with Platonis' plan. Very well, I will not stop you from making your book, but don't expect me to hold it in high honour." With a dismissive hand wave he vanished from their meeting ground and returned to his own heaven.

Meroth - Seaside, Florn

He began to think. He had to send a sign that his threats were real, now that the word about his arraival has spread. His gaze wandered shortly over the world before he found the perfect target: Seaside. The people there were far too kind for Meroth's liking. The mortals should distrust strangers and fear them instead of just taking them in. That this insufferable prancing pig also took an interest in its well-being was a nice bonus as well. The love of the great pig would not be able to protect them.

It was a normal day in Seaside, the sun shined, only a few clouds lined the horizon, and a light breeze blew over the city. Dock workers were loading and unloading ships. Wagons were bringing in goods from the nearby towns and villages, to be shipped all over the world. Laughter echoed from the taverns as weary travelers had a drink and exchanged stories.

But the breeze picked up and turned into an heavy wind, blowing into the city from the sea. The sky darkened with black clouds. A rainstorm hit Seaside first, quickly turning the roads into small rivers. Everyone who could rushed inside to seek shelter. Shortly after the rain started, thunder started to draw near.

One of the merchants was trying to bring his wares inside his shop. As he filled the crates with his baubles to protect them from the water he looked up into the sky. There he saw that the clouds parted and gave way to a face. An horrible visage, with a wide gaping maw. Then the merchant realized that the thunder was no longer distant, but instead came directly from the face above. Suddenly lightning arched from the face to the city of Seaside below, hitting buildings, ships and people.

Going to attack Seaside with a giant lightning storm. I want as many buildings to get destroyed as possible. I don't really care if the people themselves survive or not.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - The Ruins of Seaside

The great pig's jowls shake with dismay, spittle and drool leaking from the loose corners of his mouth. From between the storm clouds light begins to peek, and a slow wind blows in from the sea. It soothes the cloud, swirling it about with kind strokes to wisp away the electrically charged divine hatred.

"Meroth," The wind whispers, silent over the graves of dying and dead. "Meroth, Meroth, Meroth," the wind whips about, continuing the stroke the storm clouds in a calm way.

"Meroth, to strike upon the innocent. A rabid fox? Not clever enough to be a fox. A rabid wolverine, thrashing and slavering with fury. Striking unwittingly at things which it fears." The wind continues to stroke the clouds softly, the divine light of Gohdog beaming warmth through it, "For it is a creature of fear that knows it best. A cornered god."

The pig squeals with delight, the winds whistling as they continue to stroke through the stormclouds, infesting the hateful things with titters of joy and laughter. "Tell me, Meroth, what is it like to have the bounty of our world so spoiled by the taste of fear and hatred, to think that your actions would sink others to your depths?"

Doing nothing as of right now until the action is resolved, since attacks can't be immediately countered.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Conclave Closes - Platonis

Platonis can feel the new power growing inside him, no doubt the others felt the same. The time for debate was over. Now they would all act in the world again. "I believe this was fruitful. I hope all here can support my proposal and work together in the future. Perhaps we can meet again this way, next year."

With most Gods in agreement, and a new year beginning, Platonis begins work on the book. As promised, he writes the introduction and first chapter.

In his introduction he explains quite clearly the concept of divine domains and the re-emergence of the Gods. He explains that each God has an area of interest, and that they benefit by shaping the world to better fit their tastes. He gives a brief listing of each god, except Ignatz, if Ignatz doesn’t give them trouble, and his understanding of their domains. He encourages people to choose at least one god to give special attention, but to honor all the gods throughout the year with special events, according to a calendar he has provided (even Maen might be content with this, her holy days coincide perfectly with the lunar cycle). The calendar honors all gods (except Ignatz) but Platonis has the most holy days for worship, and it’s implied that he is the god of choice for Rulers and the State.

He breaks his section of the book into three distinct parts. He introduces the idea of the Social Contract. Rulers and laws should be obeyed absolutely. But those laws should bind everyone equally, even the lawmakers. Natural laws, called Rights, exist. They include the right to Education and Self-Improvement. Any Just Ruler will use his station to provide these rights. If he does so he will be working under Platonis’ blessing.

Then he introduces the Scientific Method, the process of using observation, experiment, peer-review, and refinement, to understand the world in an orderly fashion and share that understanding.

Finally, as a gift to all people he gives explanations, diagrams, and designs for jumping-board inventions like the steam engine, replaceable parts, electricity, and automatons (that one might be a little advanced). He hints, not very subtly, that these inventions are far from perfect. He gives the sentient races of the world the holy task of finding the numerous applications for these things, refining them, and unlocking the ideas within them to create greater and greater inventions for the betterment of everyone.

His language is dry, explanatory, and absolutely clear. This chapter is obviously to his benefit, but every god is no doubt planning this, and there’s no way to sneak passages in without the other Gods noticing.

Once he collects the writings of the Gods, Platonis will imprint them on the Holy Plates, instilled with obvious divine power, and give them to the largest Printing Press in the world (probably in Tik Tok).

He's so interested in his own project, running the language through many drafts and refining it to perfection, that he barely notices what happens in seaside. He is too busy in his workshop. When he focuses his divine eye on it, he is saddened. Godheg will be upset, and a perfect world would not be marred by such storms. But this obvious provocation was the Pig's problem. He rejected an offer of alliance, preferring to wander without purpose. Let him wander alone.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Ruins of Seaside

Maen's attention was on poetry for a while, but the ever fickle moon goddess was quickly distracted. Not by a small thing no, but by the raging storm tearing apart the community of Seaside. Her lips scowl. She had liked the place, while peraps a bit placid, there was love there, and the songs they sung had pleased her ears at times.

Seeing the pig-god throw himself into the storm with glee, she soon joined him, delighted sqeals with a joyful, but insane laughter as she allowed herself to be tossed here and there by the storm. Finally, she managed to find a path through the Chaos near the God Hog.

"You love those people don't you, Gohdog? Then let me give them a gift to face the hard weather, and the dangers of the road" She spoke feverishly. "They will be strong, they will be able to withstand this, and they shall remember what happened here. But you know my gifts enflame the mind and soul." She pointed up. "When the moon's face is full, they will be beset by madness, destructive and terrible. Yet... because they are from Seaside, as long as they are in a home where they have been well received, or holding an item given to them with a charitable heart, their minds shall remain clear as a new moon night. What say you?"

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - The Ruins of Seaside

The Great Pig snuffled for a moment, before angelic words poured from his skin, "To allow hatred into one's heart from an act of hatred- This is the cyclone which Meroth wishes for us to enter. To oppose him in these acts would be to create beauty where there is only pain. To empower those who were struck weak." He snorts again, sniffing and grunting in thought.

"Let us instead create something beautiful. Let there be jewels of fortune for every strike of lightning, where one may take one and look upon the moon to see where their luck lies. Let them carve these stones when they so desire with the passions of the heart, allowing a likeness of where they wish to go to take them there on the roads and seas."

Counterproposal to making people crazy: Let's make gemstones that point people in the direction of good fortune when unrefined and looked through towards moonlight. If they carve these stones into a likeness of where they would like to go, it will help them navigate to that place!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Gohdog - Seaside, Florn

The people first tell the stories and soon everyone knows them by heart. The wisdom of the Hog it was called. Not everyone knew them all but would tell the stories around the fire. It came to be a new tradition amongst the people.

Before writing them down, the people started telling stories in a way that even the Gohdog would approve. Some are starting to be written.

pre:
Art	        has been	Advanced
Education	has been	Advanced
Fire	        has been	Advanced
Hospitality	has been	Advanced
Ignorance	has been	Setback
Peace	        has been	Advanced
Prosperity	has been	Advanced
Commoners/Gohdog: The Circle of the Magi are a very secretive group. They practice a form of magic unseen in other lands for they bind beings from beyond the mortal world into their spells. The first sacrifice of an initiate to begin to learn such ways (and to ensure their loyalty) is to give up their very soul to the leaders of the order for "safekeeping". Ascending into full mage status gives the user back his soul, and he can infuse the souls of other living things to give himself longevity and youth. They do not actively seek members and only those who come to them fully and willingly are allowed to become initiates of the order. People often seeking favors or magic which can only be seen as miraculous often pay large sums for their workings in their art of magic. Other forms of payment are taken as well. In any case the group seeks no worldly power of their own but could take much if they so desired.

Commoners: Also please include the country(if possible) in your posts please.

Meroth - Seaside, Florn

The day after the night of firelight, the people of Seaside found themselves feeling good after the night of drinking and telling stories. That's when the storm hit. At first it was a strong wind, then that's when it broke over Seaside. None could say just how the mayor organized the people and evacuation in the middle of a massive storm, but they ran into the nearby hills and into the caves. Only a few of the townspeople were missing, the drunks and the dregs. In the aftermath the people emerged from the caves, the question of what to do next and how they would survive on their lips. Many expressed the desire to travel, others were fearful the god of destruction would kill them should they leave the caves. Some but not many claimed that this was the work of Ignatz punishing them for knowing things they should not know. Either way the people and the land were changed.

The town itself is destroyed. I'm taking it off the map yet, in case it somehow is rebuilt. Eventually though the ruin will be removed. Some of the townspeople want to travel, others want to stay in the caves, even more wish to regress to a simpler style of living. Perhaps in the wreckage of the town. These people are prime for being influenced by the gods. Already there are those who are predisposed to do things if no one steps in.

pre:
Chaos	        has been	Advanced
Cheer	        has been	Setback
Destruction	has been	Advanced
Education	has been	Setback
Good Luck	has been	Setback
Ignorance	has been	Advanced
Lies	        has been	Advanced
Mysteries	has been	Advanced
Nature	        has been	Advanced
Peace	        has been	Setback
Prosperity	has been	Setback
Terror	        has been	Advanced
Travel	        has been	Advanced
Platonis - The end of the conclave

Platonis begins writing his works without the other gods. Should they decide to include their works in his greater work then so be it.

Platonis' work will be a widespread thing of the god's ideas and his very person. Something those that can read, will read. More effects if other chapters are written will show up.

Mr. Prokosch: Please include OOC summations in thread about what you're doing. (in PMs is ok but the OOC stuff isn't just for me. You can post a sanitized action thing that doesn't give away the goose or point expenditures like the other players.

pre:
Education	has been	ADVANCED
Invention	has been	ADVANCED
Law	        has been	ADVANCED
Perfection	has been	ADVANCED
Prosperity	has been	ADVANCED

Chaos           has been	Setback
Ignorance       has been	Setback
Lies            has been	Setback
Mysteries       has been	Setback

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis Key OOC Influence Actions bundled into the book post:
1. He encourages people to choose at least one god to give special attention, but to honor all the gods throughout the year with special events, according to a calendar he has provided (even Maen might be content with this, her holy days coincide perfectly with the lunar cycle). The calendar honors all gods (except Ignatz) but Platonis has the most holy days for worship, and it’s implied that he is the god of choice for Rulers and the State.

2. He introduces the idea of the Social Contract. Rulers and laws should be obeyed absolutely. But those laws should bind everyone equally, even the lawmakers.

3. Then he introduces the Scientific Method, the process of using observation, experiment, peer-review, and refinement, to understand the world in an orderly fashion and share that understanding.

4. Finally, as a gift to all people he gives explanations, diagrams, and designs for jumping-board inventions.
He gives the sentient races of the world the holy task of finding the numerous applications for these things, refining them, and unlocking the ideas within them to create greater and greater inventions for the betterment of everyone.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Ruins of Seaside

Maen listens, giving a dark smile. "I know a girl that would tell you that love sometimes requires blood and pain, but very well, I will respect your wish... this time. I like your idea too." As the storm recedes, and the moon once more shines over the people, Maen grins. "Let it be done!"

And Maen raced after the storm, and from its squalls, she caught several raindrops in a silver woven net. Little drops of storm.

The stormwracked people would hear a voice on the wind that followed the storm. "Nothing ever remains as it is. All order is a sandcastle in front of the tide, or a wooden building in a storm. No longer must you resist the call of the horizon. You'll dance on fortune's tunes, and fortune is fickle as I. But your songs pleased Maen, and as long as you travel the moonlit paths, the moon will ever guide you."

As she ran her fingers over that silver net, raindrops were altered, turning into beautiful blue gemstones. "Leave it uncarved, and throw yourself at fortune's mercy, the moon will lead you to good luck, if you gaze through these gifts. Wherever it might be. And if ever your hearts should be lost to one location, you may artfully carve the gem into the shape of a place, and the moon will ever guide you there. Yet you will lose fortune's favour, that is the price for giving up your wandering ways."

Create Gemstones for each of the survivors. Look through them while they are left unworked they will lead towards 'good fortune' if looked through at the moon. (bad luck on overcast days or new moon) But if crafted into a depiction of a certain location, it will lead towards that location, though no longer towards good fortune.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ignatz the Douter

In His cold corner of the Heavens, He wails. His hand so thin can barely muffle his cries as they echo through the darkened Halls. For all his efforts in the past year, mortals everywhere still suffered and he could not block out their screams; not by covering his ears, not by crying louder. Still they reached him, calling ever louder for salvation. Oh, if only he could sleep again, to receive his own blessing, but for all his frailties, he knew better. He could never sleep soundly again, knowing what he knows about the suffering of the world. He cannot fathom how his brothers and sisters do it. They must have hearts of stone.

If only...No. He stops himself, steels himself. It is for his charges to wish, it is for him to do. The last year he was too timid, too subtle. If he is the save them, he must make them understand. He finds that symbols work best to make men and gods understand--and there are few better symbols than fire.

-MAGOS and the Troll Lands-

Complacency led to the growth of great evil and corruption in the past year. Witchcraft was its own issue, but Necromancy? It was Anathema. It was not to be suffered. They must be made to know.

Examples must be made.

In the Tower of MAGOS, a wizened man drags a wicked blade across his palm, letting the blood drip into the blood of a body waiting on a cold slab while his apprentice waits eagerly. The tries to intone the Words of Command, but they fail to come. Instead, his words become fire, consuming him. He Speaks the Words, "I have sinned against Death, so Death comes for me!" and so he burns. His apprentice flees, crying for help, but finding none. He coughs, ash filling his mouth.

The Tower shines in the night, the Night of the Asheaters. But it was only the beginning.

Throughout the land, the abominations found damnation. By speaking their black magicks, they sealed their fate. For a year and a day, they would flee or burn and so they scattered to the four winds and all would know them to be cursed.

-University at Omette, Kesk-

The people of Omette were good and kind. He and Maen had done fine work here, protecting them the dangers of the hoarders of knowledge. But still, the threat remains. Like a coiled viper in the brush, it sleeps, yet it is still very much there.

The Great Library.

Between gnarled fingers, he cannot help but whisper his concerns to open minds among the people of Omette.

"You have driven them from you, but your labors are not yet done. Their work remains, a seed for a bitter harvest. Do not let one of your own be tainted by it."

They whisper back. "What shall we do?"

"What have you always done with bad harvests, taken by disease? Burn them. Burn them all."

And so the people of Omette rose as one that morning and marched on the University, casting books by the armful out, shattering the windows. Only Art was spared, for in beauty men find inspiration, not fear nor means to dominate another. At the center of town, the scrolls and books would burn for days until the last work was finally consumed, the people dancing for joy around it. They were free, free at last from the hold of Knowing, and would soon live in Bliss.

-Conclave-

Tired though he was from his labors, one task still remained for Ignatz. He heard his brother's call, though until now, he feared what he might do in response. But now, resolute, he knew he could act.

The god of Ignorance cannot read or write, but a god has no need for such things. His merest whisper is a command, his commands his will made manifest. When he desired that a chapter of the Great Book be changed, he merely had to whisper, to will it to be so, and it would be so.

But would he alter his own chapter, remove it? No, nor would he affect that of any of his brothers and sisters--save Platonis. Arrogant Platonis, he who would chain the mortals with words. And so Ignatz turned his words against him. On his precious Plates, they shifted. Some might call it a lie, but it was a beautiful lie, one that told the truth that Ignatz saw when he closed his eyes. The terrors his brother could unleash...He shivers.

The words shift on the Holy Plate, telling a story of deceit, corruption, and inevitable destruction. Platonis is no humble scholar; and Ignatz would reveal to the world his true nature. This knowledge god sought only to dominate minds for his own pleasure, to seek the forbidden uncaring of the cost to others, to ensnare, the manipulate, to destroy. His appearance of scholarly detachment was a facade, meant to conceal his sinister agenda; to use his knowledge and authority to mislead and control the masses. He was not to be trusted.

---

Hopefully, that would be enough. Ignatz slumped against the cold floor of his domain, and rested once more.

Alright, doing three big things.

1) Going to make it so that for the next year, any who practice necromancy in the region that the Tower of MAGOS is in or the Troll Lands will burn to death, shouting suitably haunting things before they are consumed. People need to understand that Necromancy is not kosher.

2) Going to have a good ol' fashioned book burning at the University. Anything not related to Art will go on the bonfire. Ignatz doesn't have a problem with pretty pictures.

3) YES I AM GOING TO gently caress WITH YOUR PRECIOUS BOOK, PLATONIS. But I'm just loving with your chapter. I'm libeling the hell out of you, casting your intentions and your methods into doubt. No one will trust you.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 26, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - Seaside Caves, Florn

The divine pig reaches down to his followers, oinking and grunting into his prophet's ear, causing The Most Generous Man to boom out, "SPREAD, SPREAD! TAKE THE JOY OF DRINK, FEAST, AND STORY WHERE YOU TREAD! LET ALL FROM CORNER TO CORNER KNOW TRUE HAPPINESS AT THE SOUND OF BILLOWING SAILS AND WAGON WHEELS. LET THE COBBLESTONE AND DIRT SPEAK OF OUR ENDURANCE, AND FEAR NOT A THING IN THIS WORLD, FOR WE ARE A TRULY BLESSED PEOPLE!"

Using more influence on the people to go alongside Maen's actions, using my prophet to tell them to travel, see the world, and do good!

The Most Generous Man, in particular, will head towards the Conclave of the Magi to try to sway them out of neutrality and more towards being a good power.

Gohdog - Burgenn, Stenn, Ollver, Victz, Shelt, Spar - Drune and Bakhan

All was quiet in the towns and villages on the border, their fortifications solid and their gates closed shut. Gohdog could smell the hatred seething from this place, the same that had struck out at Seaside. His cloved, porcine feet grabbed hold of those threads, pulling them silently as if to test their resolve, before spinning them up into a fiber and raising it to his mouth.

With noisy slurps and chomps those threads of contempt, hatred, torment, and fear were pulled away into his mouth, consumed utterly to be replaced with understanding, care, and empathy. The people of the border villages, those most affected by the pillaging of the armies and the loss of sons, fathers, brothers, and uncles- They grew tired of the war. What purpose did it serve? It solved none of their problems, and only created so many more. It was something that no one could afford. The war had to end there.

The commanders of Shelt and Spar, only minor officers with meager garrisons, marched upon each other. Instead of swords drawn and gleaming, they met one another with open arms. Cheers of peace and brotherhood sounded above that of Gohdog's grunting and slurping. There was no need for a prisoner exchange, for those men who were captured in battle proudly left their cells to join all of their new brethren in this uproar for peace. The Order of Drukhan was founded with these men- The high commanders of what were formerly the forces of Bakhan took position as the grand strategists of this new, meager state, and the commanders formerly of Drune took to the field as the tacticians.

They were in a perilous position, but their task was righteous. Men and women of the two nations alike under one banner- And with this grand unity they would prosper!

I'm going to be expending influence to hit the four towns in the center along with the two garrisons, and to make an army to protect this fledgling state.

The people are sick of this war, and they're going to prove that men from either side of the border can work together to make a splintered people become whole again!

Commoners fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 24, 2014

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Mimsy - Seaside, Florn

Pulling itself away from the horrors of paper production, Mimsy became aware of the destruction of Seaside. The damage had already been done, and the people were being set to wander. Mimsy knew they would need wisdom to guide them, and so related the Lore of Travelers… though even Mimsy could not recall from whence or where the stories came.

Influence: Giving the Porcine Wanderers some Wisdom and Lore befitting a nomadic people in civilized lands. Also: http://www.buzzfeed.com/americangypsies/the-5-chillest-stories-from-gypsy-lore

The mortals having been given a blessing, Mimsy saw to it that Nature would quickly take back the home they had abandoned.

Influence: Hastening the spread of Tinyforest to take over the ruins of Seaside.

Fairdeal

Mimsy returned the the new forest and watched the inhabitants with vexed curiosity.

How are they faring? The "good" ones with Iron Wills and prophetic abilities, and the "Insane" ones.
Can the Latter be rehabilitated?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

How dare you Ignatz! HOW DARE YOU! His heavens roiling with righteous anger at his name being besmirched Platonis tries to block the hated God who intruded on his great work with his right hand. With his left, Platonis strikes back, clearing the hated ignorance from the minds of the poor people of Omette.

Platonis is blocking Ignatz attempt to burn the Great Library of the Academy!

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Meroth - Meroth's heavens

Meroth leaned back in his bronzen throne. Gohdog's taunting did not bother him. He could pretend all he wants, Meroth knew the truth. The other gods that rushed to the aid of Seaside's people would know it soon. Peace is a lie. Meroth would work to keep this one universal truth alive.

Meroth - Burgenn, Stenn, Ollver, Victz, Shelt, Spar - Drune and Bakhan

He grinned as he saw what Gohdog was trying to achieve. Establish peace between the two kingsdoms and eliminate the hatred the two people feel for each other. Looking over the now pacified strip of land Meroth adressed his porcine brother. "The destruction of Seaside seems to have hit you harder than you would care to admit. Your new fledgling nation has no chance of surival against both Drune and Bakhan. Do you really want to sacrifice the life of all these people just to spite me or are you truly ready to defend them, fighting a war to keep the peace?"

"Anyway, I believe you should stay true to your own ideals. An army is completely unfitting for a nation of peace and joy." With a small wave of his hand the forces of the region were hit with melancholy and depression. Why should they fight if their mission is to bring peace? How are they going to live and work together with the people whose friends and family they killed?

Going to contest the action to create an army.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - Divinity

"Oh, Berobed Wolverine," the pig snorts and grunts, its form floating freely as angelic energies pour and speak from its essence, "You think that the inexorable march of peace may be stopped with an arsenal of steel and hatred? Destruction is unto itself as it is to others, and cannot stand to that which is untiring. Natural."

The pig continues to munch and slurp on the threads attached to each man in the region, the tangled, tangible things visibly unreeling from their being as his porcine eyes watch upon Meroth's workings. A squeal of displeasure escapes him as the feast of hatred continues.

REAL ULTIMATE POWER (BID) SENT IN.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen- Platonis home

Maen arrived near Platonis, parchment following her, a silver quill writing as she spoke, the Patroness of Artists engaging in poetry of her own.

Leave the wide, well lit roads
shun the oft-trod ways
Follow the narrow moon lit path
and embark on a wild chase

No other can see them there,
appear only in your eyes
follow them through thorn and briar
there you will find paradise

If only for a brief moment
A second of sweet bliss
before passion claims your breath
with her warm and tender kiss

Better to chase heart's urges
then yield to caution's chain
a second can be worth a lifetime
Without that second, life is vain

Opening her eyes, she nodded in satisfaction at that poem, taking the parchment in hand. She didn't quite seem to notice the other god's rage at the fire god's attempts. "There, I wouldn't want the book to be completely dull." she chuckled. The knowledge god would probably need to do some work to make sure the poems would be in a format that would work well with printers. The poems, small plays and songs that were written down where spread all over the parchment, without any kind of order, some of them written sideways for some reason or other. Or no reason perhaps.

And then she looked at the calendar, but her reaction was likely not what Platonis would expect. Her lips twisted in a scowl and her eyes darkened as she looked up to him. "Now, you insult me, God of paper." She tossed the calendar down. "You seek to make my moon, and the worship sacrificed to me part of one of your little structures? NO! I WILL NOT HAVE IT!"

She left his roof, looking up where the moon hung. Her pale blue hand reaching out to it. "I will not have it. No mortal or god will be able to predict you. You will be whimsical and unpredictable. Now be one day faster, now be one day slower. Go from full to new moon as your mood strikes you. Be wild and untamed.

I would like to add one chapter to the Big Book, filled with poetry, stories, plays and written down songs. They all exhort following one's passion in all things, with a recurring theme the 'following the moonlit path'

Speaking about the moon, mess with it so its phases become entirely unpredictable. Because Chaos Goddesses don't like becoming part of making an order of time.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Amrom, Who Comes In Threes, Looking Down At M.A.G.O.S.

No.
Such Insolence.
He is indeed an ignorant one.

The mood among Amrom is grim. "He could have negotiated. Many of the undead could have been mindless, eternally ignorant, slaves seduced by the lies of the most powerful. But, he throws away this opportunity." The three bodies angrily project a message into his corner of the heavens. "We will give you the opportunity, Ignatz, to stop what you are doing and find terms of mutual cooperation. What you are trying to do cannot be allowed; You must not stifle the gift of eternal life. We can incorporate ignorance of the truth for the vast majority into our teachings, but if you do not stop this action, then we cannot make accommodation for your demense, and we must align ourselves solely with your opponents, of which there are already many."

Amrom is giving Ignatz a chance to not waste its power on an action Amrom will have to block, and opening up the possibility of diplomacy and cooperation so they can mutually advance one another's domains. If the action is not taken back, things will occur. It is an obvious massive cockblock to me and ruins all my investment in a base of operations.

Amrom, Who Comes In Threes, Looking Down At Tik Tok Tower

Yes.
We can help in this.
In fact, no one could do better.

Amrom, still slightly annoyed, looks down at the tower where the printing press has been invented. "It is a good machine. But, look at these humans, with no magic and no immortality. Platonis asks us for productivity, and it must be given." The three bodies whirl rapidly, taking key passages, exhortations, and details from the accumulated texts of night-infinite aeons of Undeath.

The passages would not be handed over, like mere trinkets. Instead, they would be deposited into the dreams of those working at the tower, each one providing a glimpse into true knowledge of necromancy, each one providing some spell or practice that could improve productivity beyond what mortal organization, mortal lifespans, and mortal bodies could offer. In those passages and in those dreams lay the secret of having mindless servants to carry out menial labor, the secret of magic spells to animate quills made of the bones of the dead to write without rest, and most of all, the secrets of Lichdom, to allow the most able and motivated in the tower to be stewards and propagators of this valuable knowledge for all time.

The plan is to send my chapter in pieces and in dreams to the residents of the tower, but each passage contains practical necromantic knowledge that they can implement to improve productivity. Presumably, only the most able will be able to become liches themselves, but many others can become minor necromancers who use the magic of Undeath to become more industrious in accomplishing their tasks. Let me know how much influence this will cost.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

Seeing Amrom's peculiar aid, Platonis considers the merits of necromancy. He hadn't truly considered it, but the ability to live forever and pass on knowledge indefinitely would easily fit into his perfect world. And a handy unskilled labor force would free up sentient beings to focus on invention. Ignatz obvious opposition to it was also a plus.

Deciding to hasten his plans slightly, Platonis takes this opportunity to inspire discredited hard scientists and necromancers from Omette university to found a new college, dedicated to teaching and studying the material world in an orderly fashion. They will, of course, found their school in Beld near the new fount of knowledge that is Tik Tok Tower. Their arrival will coincide perfectly with the introduction of the Scientific Method. He will further encourage some of the most talented and enthusiastic of the newly fledged necromancers in Tik Tok to study there and exchange knowledge with the exiled instructors.

Platonis founds the Platonic Academy in Beld, a school focused on hard practical science and applied magic.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gohdog - Amrom's Teachings

The Great Pig grunts, strings of hatred and fear still leaking from his lips as he smacks and munches.

"Amrom, who brings the joy of magic and the making of many things to the mortals, why is it that in these plates you are teaching only the extension of life? To live unendingly without happiness- Such is a cursed fate that none should endure. What is the fate of the mortals should they accept these gifts?"

Asking for clarification from the man himself so as to decide if I should interfere or not!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cipher - Fairdeal

The small crowd sat in contemplative -- or perhaps merely confused -- silence as Cipher fell quiet. Today's "lecture" had covered the mysterious ways of the moon, which could now be seen filtering through the canopy overhead. Cipher's sister, untouchable, unknowable, unpredictable, had figured prominently, and the listeners stared in renewed awe at the orb overhead.

The fact that it was full, on a night that every calendar and almanac in the world said should have been moonless, was certainly a welcome bit of punctuation to the speech.

As they had each night for the past few months, the blessed ones -- as Cipher had dubbed the Ignatz-touched remnants of Fairdeal's former population -- prepared to return to their homes and leave the Goddess to her ineffable thoughts. But tonight, for reasons known to none, was to be their last sermon.

"What is your name, little one?" asked the goddess. "I... cannot remember," replied the blind girl.

Cipher turned to face the students once more. Though her face was kind, the forest somehow seemed a little deeper, the night a little colder, their homes so much further away. To look upon the goddess was to cast aside all the truths you had believed in, and be reborn hollow and starving for a taste of the world.

"What shall you do when I have left you, children?" Whispers flickered among the listeners. "Will you return to the iron box in which you were stored before? Can you fold yourself back into its confines? Or... will you cast off your shoes and plunge into the river, let it take you down to a home you've never seen?"

The girl came forward, stepping from between the other mortals. "See this one, who has burnt her house to the ground and all her belongings besides; does she weep over their ashes? Has she forgotten her name? Or was it never hers to begin with?"

"She shall have a new name, a true one: Clarity. Gaze into her empty eyes, and see your goddess reflected!"

The forest thrummed once, trees creaking, and then slowly the night sounds of the forest resumed.

Clarity kept the vigil every night for seven nights. But the goddess did not return.

I'll be appearing directly to the ones that survived Ignatz's influence. I'm making them into extremely powerful seers, but cursing them to forever speak in riddles. I'll call them the Oracles.

The foremost of these is Clarity, a former baker's daughter who lost her mind, her memory, and her sight to Ignatz; I'm giving her powers far beyond even the others. Her mission for right now is to go find Azariah, the troll who's working for Amrom, and inform him of the quest I've put before him: the key to defeating the Troll King lies waiting for him, if he can only find it and seize it for himself. Then she'll help him do so (mainly by giving strange clues etc). If he accepts, which he should, then I'll create said object in a later post.

I'll also draw some elves into Fairdeal, though I won't show myself to them since it would drive them nuts. Instead, the Oracles will train them and pass my words on to them. Most of those elves are to become the Guides, wandering mystics / fortune tellers / etc. Their job is to find those who have the potential to be heroes, and then use their gifts to lead those would-be champions to important quests and the locations of powerful artifacts. I'll whisper hints to them as necessary to help them do this, and I don't really care what the heroes are fighting for, as long as they struggle along the way and do amazing things (or die dramatically).

The ones who don't become Guides can stay here in Fairdeal (we should really rename this place) with the Oracles and meditate on how weird the world is, I mean seriously. Anyone who shows up later can join this fledgling cult totally legitimate religious gathering if they like.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 25, 2014

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

megane posted:

Cipher - Fairdeal
Drawing some elves into Fairdeal, where I will talk at them and the few surviving former residents about legends and prophecies and such.

:smugwizard: Just going to let you know, in case its not apparent. You in person specifically talking to mortals is going to damage them badly or unhinge them. You have a dozen out of the couple hundred that came out as seer/types that can talk to gods. Not crowds of people. If you are speaking to any crowds they are moaning masses of crazy people. Maen might be able to get something useful out of them, but you will not.

Using influence to heal these people will work, but upon looking and hearing you again you run the gamble of them being unusable. I'm not allowing the use of influence to negate the mortal sanity game mechanic. Gods in this game are leagues more powerful than any other game I've ran and as such there are only few limitations to mortal interaction. If you need advice on what to do, I always am willing to give it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ah... okay, didn't get that part. This is why I shouldn't write posts at 4 AM. Sorry!

In that case, let me edit the above a bit; basically I'm just going to appear directly only to the Fairdeal Survivors, who can take it, and they can teach everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Meroth - Burgenn, Stenn, Ollver, Victz, Shelt, Spar - Drune and Bakhan

He looked with contempt on the currently peaceful border region. "Very well then, if you desire the death of so many innocent people, so be it. Maybe soon even the mortals will understand that the only thing that follows you is misery." With a crooked smile Meroth turned his attention to the heartlands of Drune and Bakhan.

Meroth - Capitol of Drune

The king of Drune was sitting in his study when a small pigeon landed on the open window edge. The king moved closer, curious about the bird. As the king approached he spotted the sealed letter that was fastened to its ankle. The letter carried the seal of his own spy service. He quickly broke the seal and started reading.

The message was appearently from an agent in the border regions. The king's army was entrenched there in war against his hated neighbours in Bakhan. The recent secession of several towns and part of his military there was a major concern for him. And now this letter was detailing how spies from Bakhan were infiltrating the garrison of Shelt. It also told of enemy troops movements close to the border of this new Order of Drukhan.

All of this seemed to clearly imply to the drunic King that this whole situation was a plot from Bakhan to break the stalemate in the area. They made the region secede and positioned their army to quickly take control. If he wanted Clearly angered the king scared off the pigeon with a wide flail of his arm.

The messanger pigeon flew away from the castle, but as soon as it reached the nearby mountains it was engulfed in a cloud of black smoke and disappeared. In its stead only laughter could be heard.[/b]

Meroth - Capitol of Bakhan

The ruler of Bakhan laid down in his bed, tired from a day's work. After he slipped away into sleep he found himself again in his throne room. The ground was covered by fog and infront of his throne was a pedestal with a wide bowl filled with crystal clear water ontop of it. The king approached the pedestal and looked into the water.

Instead of his own reflection he saw the whole of Bakhand and Drune from high above. He leaned in closer and reached out with his hand to the pool, but a voice coming from behind the throne interrupted him. "To mend a broken kingdom is a righteous task, alas, it is not an easy one." A figure in dark robes stepped forth and approached the pedestal.

"But you are a good king and have toiled tirelessly to achieve your well deserved unity." The robed man now reached for the pool, touching the pool with a single index finger in the northern region of the shown map. From the finger a stream of blood slowly worked its way to the other, southern edge. "Sadly the brutes in the north want to destroy it all." He pulled the finger out again, stopping new blood from streaming into the pool.

The remaining blood gathered in the border region between Bakhan and Drune. "Now they are trying to blind you with a ruse, good king. Despite declarations of peace they are ready to join your enemy in destroying you. If Drune succeeds in their plot it would mean ruin for you and your whole realm." With a wave of the robed hand the whole pool burst into flame, blinding the king and waking him from his sleep.

Meroth - Courts of Amrom and Platonis

With a puff of black smoke and a deep bow Meroth appeared infront of Platonis and Amrom. "Dear brothers, I come before you to humbly asking for a favor. It is in regard to the people of Bakhan and Drune. The war between the two nations has been long and brutal and I want to alleviate their pain. A dull blade kills slowly, so I ask both of you to give them better means. Give them inventions that let the military perfect their craft. Improve their forges and help them create an effective war industry."

He raised again from his deep bow, straigthening his back. "Of course I do not want you to give something for nothing. If you aid the people of Bakhan and Drune in their war efforts I will support your book. Everyone who ignores its basic edicts will be taught to fear the gods again."

Going to influence the kings of Drune and Bakhan that the other person is responsible for the seceded territory on the border

• Locked thread