Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, I look forward to how GRRM works her into the next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Since I just finished ADWD recently, I went back to see what this thread thought of how the Red Wedding was portrayed. I can't believe most of you thought Zombie Cat was going to show up in the next episode. That would have been such an awful way to do it, to have her pop back up while everyone's still reeling. I hope it's like it is in the book, the very last scene in S4.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kevyn posted:

Since I just finished ADWD recently, I went back to see what this thread thought of how the Red Wedding was portrayed. I can't believe most of you thought Zombie Cat was going to show up in the next episode. That would have been such an awful way to do it, to have her pop back up while everyone's still reeling. I hope it's like it is in the book, the very last scene in S4.

A bunch of people thought that the Purple Wedding would happen last season as well. Sometimes things just happen like that.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

meristem posted:

If you aren't, though, then the reply is even simpler: we know that Tommen was nurtured differently. He was not the heir apparent, "destined" for the position of power and so accustomed to it. Younger children in general have less connection to their parents than older ones, and more freedom. Also, Cersei may have shielded him better from Robert's influence.
Joffrey also didn't have Joffrey for an older brother.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

...you think Joffrey is a psychotic poo poo because of Robert's influence? I don't even know how you can come to that conclusion. It's blindingly obvious that Robert had little to do with his children and Cersei had a massive hand in moulding Joffrey into the monster we all know and love.
Well... did he get his disdain for women from Cersei? What about his obsession of being a real warrior king who crushes his enemies without mercy? Or his poor self esteem for not being strong enough with the sword?

Robert was Joffrey's role model and he's desperate to prove he's just like him.

Heck, I'm not even sure he's psychotic. He's just obsessed with his idea of what a king should be and when the world (and his mother) conspires to keep him from being that, he lashes out.

e: Come to think of it, Cersei does have a lot of disdain for women, so that wasn't probably just Robert's influence...

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 19, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kevyn posted:

It would have been a good ending moment in a season that sorely needed one (Dany crowdsurfing? Really?), it doesn't change the plot because she's just gonna gently caress around the woods hanging Freys for a while which can start whenever, and pushing that reveal up is doable because, chronologically, she was raised only a few days after the Red Wedding.

It was a good idea. :(

Max
Nov 30, 2002

DeepQantas posted:

Heck, I'm not even sure he's psychotic. He's just obsessed with his idea of what a king should be and when the world (and his mother) conspires to keep him from being that, he lashes out.

It's probably a couple of things. Tommen wasn't raised from birth to believe that ruling the entirety of Westeros was his gods given right, while Joffrey absolutely was.

I always found his complete hatred of even the smallest distention an interesting character trait of his, given the way Robert claimed the Iron Throne.

It always struck me that he was simply told that he would be king and get to rule everyone, but it seems like no one actually bothered to teach him how to be the head of state. Granted, Robert was terrible at that aspect as well.

CapnAndy posted:

Joffrey cut open a pregnant cat because he wanted to see the kittens. That is, like, Psychopath Warning Signs 101.

This is true.

Max fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 19, 2014

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Kevyn posted:

I thought she would appear last season because I thought they would show her creation. You can't show her creation at the end of Season 4 because too much times has passed. But I forgot that GURM didn't show her creation in the book either. So they can just reveal her fully formed whenever they want. However, I think showing her come back last season would have been much better than that stupid jesus posing mosh pit scene.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DeepQantas posted:

Heck, I'm not even sure he's psychotic.
Joffrey cut open a pregnant cat because he wanted to see the kittens. That is, like, Psychopath Warning Signs 101.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

I hope they deviate from the book a bit and have the ghost of Ned slam Joffrey's face into the table 30 times while the onlookers get noticeably bored after a while.

And then Ned proceeds to perform yet another rendition of The Rains of Castamere while Olenna rolls her eyes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

However, I think showing her come back last season would have been much better than that stupid jesus posing mosh pit scene.

That scene will be important in hindsight because it is Dany at her most optimistic and foolish. To borrow from Doctor Who that is her at her highest, right before she goes to her lowest. It's also important as a contrast to the horrific nature of the previous episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DeepQantas posted:

You can look up to someone who's largely absent from your life. That, in some ways, probably made it worse, since Joff would only really have stories about young Robert and seeing how old Robert behaved in court and such to go off of, so he was basing how kings should behave off this idealized version of his alcoholic father, the washed-up warrior who personally slew Rhaegar Targaryen on the Trident. :black101:

It certainly doesn't help when his mother spends his entire childhood whispering poison in his ear about how he needs to be strong, strong like Jaime (a knight) and cunning like Grandfather (a general). Cersei's a lovely parent, and so is Robert, and they both hosed up that kid in their own ways. But given that Tommen and Myrcella seem to be okay, Joff must have had his own issues which were exacerbated by the emotionally abusive upbringing he had.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like tv Joffrey because he is really into history and is right about the dragons.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can look up to someone who's largely absent from your life. That, in some ways, probably made it worse, since Joff would only really have stories about young Robert and seeing how old Robert behaved in court and such to go off of, so he was basing how kings should behave off this idealized version of his alcoholic father, the washed-up warrior who personally slew Rhaegar Targaryen on the Trident. :black101:

It certainly doesn't help when his mother spends his entire childhood whispering poison in his ear about how he needs to be strong, strong like Jaime (a knight) and cunning like Grandfather (a general). Cersei's a lovely parent, and so is Robert, and they both hosed up that kid in their own ways. But given that Tommen and Myrcella seem to be okay, Joff must have had his own issues which were exacerbated by the emotionally abusive upbringing he had.

Again, I think it's also that he was guaranteed by right to be the king that fostered some megalomania as well. Tommen and Myrcella would not have had this issue.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really wish we could get a prequel season where Ned and Robert are running around during Robert's Rebellion. A young Rob seems like the most ultimate bad rear end I can think of. Even alcoholic washed up Rob was still a bad rear end.

I mean the dude got gored by a giant boar that he was trying to hunt drunk off his rear end then lived for a couple of days afterwards.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doltos posted:

I really wish we could get a prequel season where Ned and Robert are running around during Robert's Rebellion. A young Rob seems like the most ultimate bad rear end I can think of. Even alcoholic washed up Rob was still a bad rear end.

I mean the dude got gored by a giant boar that he was trying to hunt drunk off his rear end then lived for a couple of days afterwards.

No joke, the battle of the bells is something I really want visualized.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if Jon Snow wargs out at the before he actually dies, and some poo poo brings him back later that outs him in his body again, has he fulfilled his oath to take the black until death and is free to be the true heir to the throne like people speculate he is?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Wall is going to fall before the series ends, and oaths to defend it would logically end there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Wall is going to fall and Jon is still going to hang around and uphold his interpretation of the "oaths" it because that is the kind of weirdo he is.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Doltos posted:

What's great about this too is they even already have the actor for Robert. The guy who plays Gendry is supposed to be the mirror image of Robert in his youth.

I want to see a prequel season because I want to see the heroic figure that Robert was before he won the throne.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What's great about this too is they even already have the actor for Robert. The guy who plays Gendry is supposed to be the mirror image of Robert in his youth.

I want to see a prequel season because I want to see the heroic figure that Robert was before he won the throne.

Well Robert was like 20 when the rebellion happened and Gendry is supposed to be like 15-16. He wouldn't quite fit into that role. Hell, look at how big Robert is portrayed as during the rebellion:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

DeepQantas posted:

Also of note: the only reason Joffrey orders the unconscious Bran to be killed is because he overhears Robert saying that it would be a curse to live like that. Basically, he orders an assassination 'cause daddy made it sound like a kingly thing to do. He just wants to impress his awesome warrior dad!

At least, I believe that's what Tyrion figures during the Purple Wedding, since he remembers Robert saying that. We never get any more insight on that particular incident. Really fits with Joffrey's character, though.

I also love the little detail that, even though Joffrey constantly calls him Hound, Sandor actually really seems to be Joffrey's only actual friend. In the books, at least. :smith:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah Robert is supposed to be huge. Not like mountain huge, but probably like the size of the guy who plays the mountain huge (since the mountain is real-life impossibly big and strong)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Well Robert was like 20 when the rebellion happened and Gendry is supposed to be like 15-16. He wouldn't quite fit into that role. Hell, look at how big Robert is portrayed as during the rebellion:

I agree that they wouldn't use Joe Dempsie but his age is a dumb reason to justify that since the actor is 26.

Besides, it's more fun to cast well known celebs for projects that are never going to come out, it is known.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah but book Robert is like 6'6, Mark Addy on the other hand is not a tall guy at all.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Torquemadras posted:

I also love the little detail that, even though Joffrey constantly calls him Hound, Sandor actually really seems to be Joffrey's only actual friend. In the books, at least. :smith:

I've never really understood why Sandor is the sworn guard for Joffrey. Is it ever explained in the books? I know that the Cleganes are bannermen to the Lannisters but Sandor's hatred towards knights seems odd that he would willingly go into that kind of work.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't think Sandor has a problem with "that kind of work." His problem is with the hypocrisy of men taking those solemn vows, being annointed before the Seven, the whole thing... and then being huge piles of poo poo like his brother. Being a knight doesn't mean a thing if men like Gregor can be knighted.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Season 4 costuming video. I love how Margaery's wedding dress is covered in thorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsDi4P-1YQ

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but book Robert is like 6'6, Mark Addy on the other hand is not a tall guy at all.

I remember in the first episode when he stepped off his horse and needed that little stepping block, I thought he was a dwarf or something.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Crisco Kid posted:

Season 4 costuming video. I love how Margaery's wedding dress is covered in thorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsDi4P-1YQ

Lots of cool new stuff in there. Mace in costume, Gregor in costume, Jaime's hand, ...

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Targaryen offspring don't always take the Targaryen silver hair trait, particularly not if they're not incest-born Targaryens. Which should be rather obvious. Some notable Targaryen or Targaryen bastards who weren't Targ-coloured: Aegor Rivers (Bittersteel), Princess Rhaela (she was brown haired and olive skinned like Elia). There's also a few mentioned in 'The Princess And The Queen'.

Baelor Breakspear as well.

KKKLIP ART posted:

So if Jon Snow wargs out at the before he actually dies, and some poo poo brings him back later that outs him in his body again, has he fulfilled his oath to take the black until death and is free to be the true heir to the throne like people speculate he is?

Good loving Lord I hope not.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
So now GRRM is talking about maybe making a film to end the series.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/game-thrones-movies-eyed-by-689629

GRRM posted:

"Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Am I alone in thinking/hoping that something happens to King's Landing at the end of TWOW? I'd love for it to either be burnt down (as it almost has several times) or hosed up in such a way that the issue of the Iron Throne simply wont matter in ADOS. It would give the last book some real focus, and attribute to the inevitable 'now we must try to rebuild' conclusion.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Kevyn posted:

The reason I thought it might happen was because of how they handled Bran and Rickon "dying" in season 2. They showed them alive in the very next episode instead of revealing it in the season finale.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

So now GRRM is talking about maybe making a film to end the series.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/game-thrones-movies-eyed-by-689629

Jesus, anything to keep from having to finish up the drat story, eh, George?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Desperation is good. Desperation will make him write.

radlum
May 13, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Desperation is good. Desperation will make him write.

I hope this means we'll get the showrunners or someone else from HBO to say that it's seven seasons and it's over and GRRM has no say in it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The more I read about this tings, the more Im convinced that GRRM is not going to finish with just 2 more books (if he is going to finish it at all).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

I think if someone in this thread doesn't want to see this (and the events leading up to the rebellion) they can get right the gently caress out. I want to see Robert when he had actual swagger and was willing to start a war for a woman instead of the fat oaf he ended up as.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Robert didn't start the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
How dare you. Fat oaf kings are the best kings.

• Locked thread