Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

glug posted:

Failed 3 months ago though..

Ah, yeah, that probably came off wrong. I wasn't suggesting that it was salvagable back when I asked that question only that I had just now come across the game through google and it looked like it might have turned out pretty good. Dunno if people here were aware of the game when it was still open, I definitely would have supported it had I known about it at the time, but I hadn't started playing MMX yet so nothing like it was even on my radar. Shame, according to their website it sounds like they were looking for a certain number of minor backers to gauge the level of interest in the game genre. I wonder if they had set up their kickstarter to coincide with the release of MMX if their game might have caught on with that crowd looking to scratch that itch.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Finally brought myself to finish the game for the first time. The game is fun, though got somewhat unengaging at the end. Also my Warrior party of Crusader, Barbarian, Druid and Runepriest seemed a bit too low on the damage output, but was able to basically outlast everything being thrown at them. (I also probably should have bought weapons earlier instead of relying on drops.) Maybe I did not do places in the right order, but some time after Seahaven fights were either one-sided for me, or one-sided for the monsters. Then when I got to Karthal it was one-sided for me almost all the time. So the game wasn't as engaging for me and I had to finish through the endgame Tomb of a Thousand Terrors and onwards in very small chunks to not get bored. (My party even played the "This is going to be easy." clip at the entrance to The Vigil) I finished at level 33 (30 at the point of no return) and think the only sidequests I did not finish were the Meow dungeon, Fortress of Crows, Forbidden Saga, Limbo and the Crossbow Grandmaster one. I'm not entirely sure how you are supposed to get the "Reach Level 40" achievement, but maybe that is for planned DLC.

I hope they make a sequel and make the endgame a bit more interesting, but overall this is was one of the most enjoyable games I played recently. (Final Fight spoiler: I managed to skip the final puzzle, because the self-proclaimed Master of Assassins thought it would be a good idea to spawn directly on my Fire Grandmaster's Searing Rune and got burnt for his last health points before he could cast Dark Restoration. Probably wouldn't have been able to bring him down from above his healing treshold without everybody criting otherwise. :allears:)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Psykmoe posted:

I think it's finally time for me to replay MM VI, since I got it with the Deluxe version and I'm hugely nostalgic for it. Anyone got any starting advice? I remember playing Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer back in the day but I'm considering replacing the Paladin with a Knight to give him a lot of utility skills since he doesn't need to put anything in magic. Not sure what mix of caster classes to go for.

And are there any spell schools to avoid or get for sure? Last times I played VI I just kind of muddled through without knowing anything about anything.

I wrote a quick start guide here, but it's got some spoilers in it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173367739

In MM6, Magic is much MUCH better than Might due to how magic scales (for example, Shrapmetal is potentially the most damaging skill in the game by a long shot). I usually roll with a team of Druid/Druid/Sorcerer/Sorcerer. You could also do: Cleric/Druid/Sorc/Sorc or Druid/Sorc/Sorc/Sorc but I prefer the first since it gives you 2 healers, 2 Light/Dark casters and 4 nukers.

Spell schools to focus on for Druids: Master Air, Water, Fire and Body. You can get away with Expert for Mind, Spirit and Earth. Pump Fire, Air and Body.

Spell schools to focus on for Sorcs: Master Air, Water, Fire, Light and Dark. Expert Earth. Pump Fire, Air, Dark and Light.

Weapon skills: Dagger and Bow for all. Master both and then just leave them be after that.

Misc: 1 level 10 master repair user, 1 master disarm trap is suggested, but not needed if you want to use Telekinesis instead. 1 Expert Perception (needed for a plot dungeon). Master Bodybuilding and Meditation for everyone and feel free to pump Meditation. Just buy Merchant and Learning for everyone, but put nothing into them. You'll be rolling in money and exp later on. Split Repair and Disarm between the Sorcs, give Perception to one of the Druids.

If you need any more suggestions, let me know.

Edit: In MMX concerning the Ubisoft Logo boss, who else just spammed attack and drank potions/heal party when needed? It's dumb to have him at the end of the game, I have no one else to fight.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 3, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kuros posted:

Edit: In MMX concerning the Ubisoft Logo boss, who else just spammed attack and drank potions/heal party when needed? It's dumb to have him at the end of the game, I have no one else to fight.

If you've got a character with 100 armour rating or better, you don't even need to heal; they'll take no damage from the reflected attacks so they can just attack all day.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Thuryl posted:

If you've got a character with 100 armour rating or better, you don't even need to heal; they'll take no damage from the reflected attacks so they can just attack all day.

I had so many potions that I wasn't worried. I barely used my health potions because I ran a team of Barb/Crusader/Rune Priest/Freemage

3 healers who could pretty much keep my team in good health went pretty well. I'll say though, there are some straight up bullshit encounters in the game. Fortress of Crows is one of the noteworthy places.

I know to quicksave whenever I was in a safe spot.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Psykmoe posted:

I think it's finally time for me to replay MM VI, since I got it with the Deluxe version and I'm hugely nostalgic for it. Anyone got any starting advice? I remember playing Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer back in the day but I'm considering replacing the Paladin with a Knight to give him a lot of utility skills since he doesn't need to put anything in magic. Not sure what mix of caster classes to go for.

And are there any spell schools to avoid or get for sure? Last times I played VI I just kind of muddled through without knowing anything about anything.
Here's a run-down of the spell schools, its also applicable to MM7.

As mentioned by another poster above, Air is far and away the best school. Not only does it have Fly, Sparks manages to be one of the best early-game nukes, the best mid-game nuke, and pretty much only eclipsed by Shrapmetal in late game after maxing out Dark, or Implosion (another air spell). Its also capable of stopping enemies from moving in turn based combat by hitting an earlier-laid spark when its their movement phase, and costs so little mana with so tiny a recharge time that you'll actually end up using it instead of Shrapmetal in late game to plow through everything. If I recall right, you can even master air for free without even putting in the usual required 12 skill points, as eligibility is based off the Corlagen's Estate quest, which is relatively easy except for one lich. MM7 makes Air even more irreplaceable by adding Invisibility, which is just plain amazing.

Then comes water, for Poison Spray/Acid Burst to sparks-immune enemies - they both use Poison as a damage type instead of Water or something like that so they're pretty great for dealing with all types of elementals. Plus Town Portal and Enchant Item are amazing (sitting by the fountain at Myst with master water enchanting everything you found after a dungeon upgrades pretty much all of your gear)

Fire does ok damage to rooms with Inferno, but nothing else worth talking about until Conflagrate except for Torch Light to be honest.

Earth can be avoided entirely with no worries except for stone to flesh.

Dark has Shrapmetal and Dragon's Breath which are huge damage output but with a long recharge time, along with Day of Protection, but doesn't quite shine as much as in VII without Soul Drinker.

Light has Day of the Gods for the other half of the buffs, and Paralyze, which trivialises the entire game as it works on everything.

Self schools:
Body does healing, and Power Cure is incredible. Everything else is pretty much worthless except for the cure status effect spells. Yeah, you think Harm sounds great, but they'll just disappoint you. MM7 changes this with Preservation added to spirit magic, which is vital later on, and making Body magic even better by adding to what Protection from Magic does.

If I was playing it again I'd probably do Knight/Druid/Cleric/Sorc or Knight/Archer/Cleric/Sorc, while parties like C/S/S/S are not just possible but pretty much incredible, the game will feel pretty off if you're just ignoring every melee weapon or heavy piece of armour around, I feel much better with a big tank up in front and if you're using master enchanting then you'll be making some incredible '+6d12 poison damage' or something ridiculous Lionheart swords for the knight and he'll remain respectable throughout. Afterall, the game's not about 'what can I do the blow it up the fastest' its about what'll be fun.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was reading up on MM9 (since I assumed it would have the best graphics) and apparently they set it up to non-turn based but you have the option to turn it on. I wonder how that works. The videos I watched of the combat didn't make it look all that engaging since everything was happening at once. I also looked at Wizards & Warriors (2000) that looked ok, I guess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

-Blackadder- posted:

I also looked at Wizards & Warriors (2000) that looked ok, I guess.

It's a pretty ambitious game that has some rough edges that has a hard time working fully on modern systems. Far from perfect, but worth a look and would be an instant buy for me if anybody started selling it again. I've made it work on Win7x64, but it took some serious innovation. The in-game videos are a major issue because of how they are coded.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, I think I played another game years back done by the same guy; Dungeon Lords. It was pretty ambitious too. I really liked the guild system. And there some cool story elements. I remember being sent to hunt down some rogue Ninja Necromancer in a forest somewhere and it was total chaos since he was raising zombies all over the place. It was one of those moments from a game that stick with you. Unfortunately everything else was pretty bad. It was buggy as hell and the graphics weren't very good, though they might've been when it first came out.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
All right, so I've been cruising the SPUF to try and find some possible fixes to performance problems. A lot of it is in the game's optimization, but a few users seem to have found some stuff that worked for them to some extent:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558748653725178650/

quote:

I messed around with the ingame settings a few hours running the game on a single 560ti and reduced the stuttering to a still horrible but playable rate. Put everything on ultra and very high, put shadows on low, viewdistance 40, set the main viewdistance very high instead of ultra, disable land shadows, disable any type of Fxaa (that causes much heat), disable HDR and V-Sync. Finaly i set max fps at 31 getting a lower but stable rate. Reducing object-landdetail results in higher frames but constant beeing loaded into the ram causes lag.

"Everything on ultra and very high, shadows on low, viewdistance 40, main viewdistance very high instead of ultra, disable land shadows, disable fxaa, disable HDR and Vsync, max FPS 31, reduce object-landdetail"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#c558746995094430276

quote:

Anytime you have performance issue first start by making a custom profile within Nvidia control panel.

Select all your AA settings very high
Power high
Define your primary GPU
Test with / without Vsync
Threaded Optimization Off

In-game settings, start with..

No AA
No Shadows
Textures and everything else maxed

Use that as a baseline and try a few small adjustments if needed.

Another recommendation to crank up textures and turn down AA/shadows.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#c558748822628910730

quote:

Stuttering can generally be fixed by increasing the number of maximum pre-rendered frames in your Nvidia control panel's profile for the game. Try setting it to 3, possibly 4, and see if that has an impact. Keep in mind I'm talking only about stuttering and not about just frame drops.

Additionally, one user is claiming that this problem is largely connected to NVidia GPUs, and another is saying that new drivers have been helping. Not sure if either of those statements are true.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Might and Magic X may have the worst story and writing I've ever seen in a game. It's not even bad in a funny way. I mostly tuned it out while I was running around bumping monsters, but it still really bothers me. How did this spew even come about? Whose job was it to write a plot for this?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Snow Job posted:

Might and Magic X may have the worst story and writing I've ever seen in a game. It's not even bad in a funny way. I mostly tuned it out while I was running around bumping monsters, but it still really bothers me. How did this spew even come about? Whose job was it to write a plot for this?

Ubisoft's world of Ashan is legitimately terrible. Considering the devs were obviously not allowed to touch the "canon" story of the primary Heroes series, fetch quest that is full of Deus Ex Machina is probably the best that they could manage. Mind you, the plot of Might and Magic games has always been paper thin but generally redeemed by some crazy sci-fi which the devs were explicitly disallowed from doing by order of Ubisoft. Ashan is generic fantasy world 101 and the games are poorer for it.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Oh right, this is the same universe as Heroes of Might and Magic. Haven't played one of those since the second game. That one had a nice enough (if shallow) story.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, even though the plot was pretty weak in many of the NWC titles, at least the writing that was there was well-done.

Humor in HOMM2: A wizard calls down a lightning strike on a boat carrying the seer. His death is described as a "tragic boating accident."

Humor in MMX: In the first town there is an NPC that tells jokes. :airquote:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There's going to be some DLC, The Falcon And The Unicorn.

quote:

The Falcon & The Unicorn DLC will be available from March 27th for £5.49. Those who picked up the Deluxe Edition of Might & Magic X – Legacy will be able to get the DLC on the same day for free.

The “The Falcon & The Unicorn” DLC introduces an exclusive quest line, 2 new dungeons, an all-new array of iconic enemies from the Haven faction, along with much more content.

I'm still in act 2, haven't touched the game in over a month because of real life, but I'm glad to be able to get back into it easily now. I'm wondering though, does the order of the party members at the bottom matter, like the characters on the far left or right, do they take more damage when you're flanked?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Konsek posted:

I'm still in act 2, haven't touched the game in over a month because of real life, but I'm glad to be able to get back into it easily now. I'm wondering though, does the order of the party members at the bottom matter, like the characters on the far left or right, do they take more damage when you're flanked?

I'm in the same boat as you are, I am still somewhere in act 2 or 3, just because I have been distracted by other things after release. Looking forward to the DLC and future patches though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Konsek posted:

Please tell me that they were fighting for the crown...

Wait, poo poo, wrong animal.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is this going to be a decent party build for the easier difficulty? Am I missing anything huge? I feel like healing is covered by the Crusader and Freemage, and the Scout/Crusader can pick up the extra melee damage that the Blademaster can't cover.

I'd especially appreciate tips on where I should be putting my stat points with these classes, and where I might want to start putting skill points too. (or if I've mis-assigned any!)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 19, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Chinook posted:

Is this going to be a decent party build for the easier difficulty? Am I missing anything huge? I feel like healing is covered by the Crusader and Freemage, and the Scout/Crusader can pick up the extra melee damage that the Blademaster can't cover.

I'd especially appreciate tips on where I should be putting my stat points with these classes, and where I might want to start putting skill points too. (or if I've mis-assigned any!)

That party will be fine, basically the rule of skills is pump the main damage skills at the beginning, eg air for freemage and swords for crusader etc, throw in some survivability for everyone and spirit on casters before then pumping the damage stats including perception for melee-ers, the end. If you're waiting on a 'pump spirit till 150mana then put magic until X with Y points of vitality every level' kind of rule you're over thinking it for adventurer difficulty.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, if anything I would simply recommend to ANYONE to just not do the easier difficulty. After the first part of the game things get too easy even on the hard difficulty. For me the most enjoyable part of the game was the early game on hard as that seemed like the sweet spot challenge wise.

e: So this thread hasn't been getting a lot of posts, what else are you guys playing at the moment? I'm waiting for Age of Wonders III and Dark Souls 2, while I work on finals. For a while I was fiending so hard for a game like this I almost went out and bought a 3DS and a few of those Etrian Odyssey games.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 19, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

-Blackadder- posted:

I was fiending so hard for a game like this I almost went out and bought a 3DS and a few of those Etrian Odyssey games.

I actually did this. They're Very Good Games. But they are very... anime/JRPG. It was refreshing to have a new 'western' take on the genre in M&MX, where all my characters don't look like seven year old children.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Metos posted:

That party will be fine, basically the rule of skills is pump the main damage skills at the beginning, eg air for freemage and swords for crusader etc, throw in some survivability for everyone and spirit on casters before then pumping the damage stats including perception for melee-ers, the end. If you're waiting on a 'pump spirit till 150mana then put magic until X with Y points of vitality every level' kind of rule you're over thinking it for adventurer difficulty.

Thanks. As far as survivability goes, would you recommend Destiny over Vitality or to keep them at the same level?

Also, Might vs. Perception for melee, keep them at the same level, generally?

Thanks again. :)

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Chinook posted:

Thanks. As far as survivability goes, would you recommend Destiny over Vitality or to keep them at the same level?

Also, Might vs. Perception for melee, keep them at the same level, generally?

Thanks again. :)
Vitality way over destiny.
Perception is your chance to hit so basically hit up might until you start to miss enough to be annoyed by it, then throw in perception.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Fintilgin posted:

I actually did this. They're Very Good Games. But they are very... anime/JRPG. It was refreshing to have a new 'western' take on the genre in M&MX, where all my characters don't look like seven year old children.

Personally they are so JRPG that I could not handle it. Also they are straight up grinding games with seemingly less story than even the old wizardry games.

Still waiting on pillars of eternity I guess.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Metos posted:

Vitality way over destiny.
Perception is your chance to hit so basically hit up might until you start to miss enough to be annoyed by it, then throw in perception.
I'd argue you should never bother with Perception on a non-ranged character; a Ranger with Perception is good because they can use elemental daggers but it's basically worthless on any character who is going to two-hand a weapon as Expert Warfare allows you to spend 10 mana to never miss. Destiny grants dodge chance for defensiveness and crit chance for damage, which is great on all characters, and of course freeing up points means more points in Might/Magic which are essential for anybody dealing damage.

The value of Vitality depends on armor and support spells; if a character has access to Medium or Heavy armor and you have either Celestial Armor or Liquid Membrane, you don't need very much Vitality. Spirit's usefulness is basically going to be your tolerance for potions and/or resting more frequently as well as being able to actually use all the abilities you have.

Notably the proposed builds to make an all-Might party run most tolerable are basically going heavy into Destiny and Vitality. Destiny is essentially better than Might when your party is lacking in CA/LM buffs because of the bonus dodge (although in damage terms Destiny is not better than Might until certain breakpoints, usually in the 100-120 range where a 1:1 split becomes ideal, except for 2H Axe Barbarians who should half-and-half it).

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I just finished the game after a 3-day poopsocking. Played on Warrior with a Maruader/Warden/Runedude/Shaman party and even though I built heavily toward defense I was plowing through end game fights with no trouble. In the fight with Erebos, I found one piece of the whatever and then triple crit him and the game was over. I really want a lot more of this.

Which older Might and Magic games are being recommended?

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

bakka bakka posted:

World of Xeen & 6-8

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

bakka bakka posted:

I just finished the game after a 3-day poopsocking. Played on Warrior with a Maruader/Warden/Runedude/Shaman party and even though I built heavily toward defense I was plowing through end game fights with no trouble. In the fight with Erebos, I found one piece of the whatever and then triple crit him and the game was over. I really want a lot more of this.

If you liked Might & Magic X, then 3, 4 and 5 are the most similar to it gameplay-wise. 4 and 5 are a bit more polished, but 3 is a solid game too, and sets up some worldbuilding stuff that comes up again in later games (although it's not essential for understanding the plot or anything, and it's not like the plot is the most important part of these games anyway.) Character creation and advancement is a bit more simplistic than Might & Magic X, though; the main decision you make in terms of character building is what class you want each party member to be.

Might and Magic 6 and 7 are built on a new 3D engine, with a more elaborate skill system (similar to M&MX's) and semi-realtime combat. That means you'll have to endure ugly early-3D-era graphics, but it also means being able to do cool poo poo like fly around raining meteors down on hordes of enemies. 7 is bigger and more polished than 6, but 6 is generally well-regarded too. 8 is built on the same engine and has some fun ideas but is starting to get stale and has balance issues even by the standards of the series, and 9 is a bit of a half-finished mess.

1 and 2 are significantly more old-school and less user-friendly than the rest of the series: you can only save your game at inns in town and there are a bunch of ways to get killed with little warning, losing all your progress since you left town. They're fun games if you can get into them (especially 2), but they're not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Probably the best thing to do is pick up the Might & Magic 6-pack off Good Old Games and try out 3 and 6. If you like 3, you'll like 4 and 5; if you like 6, you'll like 7 and maybe 8.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
My email this morning had a long survey from Ubisoft about Legacy and the M&M franchise in general. I hope that means they were pleasantly surprised by the sales numbers. One question was to rate the likelihood of purchasing different types of M&M games. I voted for another classic turn-based tile game or another Dark Messiah. Hell no to a MMORPG or MOBA.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
This game is....very good. The combat is loving amazing, at least on Warrior, and is extremely challenging.

I also love how it ties in with the HOMM series. I know it's basically the elemental lord of generic fantasy from the plane of generic fantasy, but I don't care - it doesn't take itself seriously and it's really fun. Very much reminds me of the western RPGs of the days of yore.

My party right now is pretty bad but I've been overcoming through sheer skill - Dwarf Defender, Human Mercenary, Orc Shaman, Elf Druid.

My Merc is dual wielding and has high evade but gets it pretty bad from the retaliation monsters because evasion doesn't factor in. My Shaman is a weird hybrid so his spells basically suck balls, and my Druid is my mage + healer + buffer all in one.

Still, the game is very satisfying to play through. I love finding secrets, returning to town to train up, grinding through dungeons which thankfully don't respond, etc.

The only thing that isn't done very well is the repair mechanic - instead of a steady durability that I can maintain through repairs, I basically get a random chance for something to go from 100% to broken.

Anyhow sorry for the rambling post - I love this game :dance:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

grrarg posted:

My email this morning had a long survey from Ubisoft about Legacy and the M&M franchise in general. I hope that means they were pleasantly surprised by the sales numbers. One question was to rate the likelihood of purchasing different types of M&M games. I voted for another classic turn-based tile game or another Dark Messiah. Hell no to a MMORPG or MOBA.

I tried filling out this survey but after 10 minutes or what felt like it, I was only 1/3 through and said F it. Surveys shouldn't take that long without some reward.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
When I tried to fill out the survey I got a 503 error so I just said gently caress it. I already wrote a positive review on Steam and bought the game. Hopefully that makes as good an impression as anything on Ubisoft so they could hire another programmer or something so the next game doesn't chug like I'm playing Crysis 3 on a $400 laptop.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
When I first got the survey, the server was awful and it kept giving me errors and requiring reloads. I dropped it, but picked it back up after I saw someone mention it here. This time (earlier this AM) the survey responded fine and I was able to quickly get through it.

If you're a MM fan, it might be worth digging the email back up to try it again to give the devs some ammo to take to Ubi for a potential MMXI.

(ps There's a spot where you can vote for Arcomage!)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

The survey was pretty long: I had to start over at one point since my mobile battery drained in the middle of my first try. Still, I liked filling it out, they seemed to put some thought into the different feedback sections.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
It took me just under 20 minutes in my morning commute to work. Some very strange questions where you can see they're trying to gauge interest to judge trying to break into a lot of currently-popular markets, eg a M&M Moba or RTS, so I think more M&M games is a certainty, but most importantly I hope every single one of you is ticking that Arcomage box.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
There was no checkbox for "Character portraits roll their eyes and groan like obnoxious teenagers when suffering negative status effects." I want my full MM6/7 experience, dammit!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I definitely put Will Not Buy to everything that wasn't an rpg on that survey.

Was any of the endless M&M spin offs NWC at all successful besides Heroes? If you look at the wiki page for all "Might and Magic" games there is just so much console shovelware.

I remember an interview with the NWC head guy back before the Ubisoft buy out saying that they needed to attach the M&M name to everything to get their new products a spot on the shelves but also nobody wants RPGs so they have to diversify which is just weird in my mind. If people associate the M&M label positively that means they are at least mildly interested in RPGs so it seems goofy to use the label to go chasing third person action games rather than something more RPG related.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

I definitely put Will Not Buy to everything that wasn't an rpg on that survey.

Was any of the endless M&M spin offs NWC at all successful besides Heroes? If you look at the wiki page for all "Might and Magic" games there is just so much console shovelware.

Crusaders of Might and Magic was pretty bad. Also something something branding intellectual property name recognition.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

dhamster posted:

Crusaders of Might and Magic was pretty bad. Also something something branding intellectual property name recognition.

In their defence, heroes of Might and Magic is/was pretty great. I think a lot of their recent issues are related to the world of Ashan. It's terrible.

That survey, despite being long, is well worth filling in. While there are a few areas that are blatantly marketing's idea, most of it is critical feedback for the Might and Magic team with respect to sequels and additional content focus.

Seems the DLC is going to be a mini stand alone quest chain, which I can't say I like but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

shalcar posted:

In their defence, heroes of Might and Magic is/was pretty great. I think a lot of their recent issues are related to the world of Ashan. It's terrible.

That survey, despite being long, is well worth filling in. While there are a few areas that are blatantly marketing's idea, most of it is critical feedback for the Might and Magic team with respect to sequels and additional content focus.

Definitely agree. HoMM was great, and previous installments didn't mind moving to new and sometimes more interesting settings, but Ubi has been latched on to their bland Ashan for... Eight years now? Nine? And yeah, I hope the survey can help point the series in the right direction. It seems like with MMX they've been trying to solicit the community's input on where to go to some extent, maybe the shoestring budget gave them a little more leeway to do that sort of thing.

• Locked thread