Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Weird people want sexy Joker. It's why Harley Quinn still exists and her book sells ridiculously well.
Her book is actually pretty good, too, much better than #0 or Harley's (or Ivy's) other appearances in the New 52. A lot of her popularity is probably because of the Joker, but Conner and Palmiotti are doing pretty good at making her actually funny.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of which, should I go back and read Gotham City Sirens? I know it's Dini writing it, but every time I see a page from it, it's super loving cheesecakey.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Her book is actually pretty good, too, much better than #0 or Harley's (or Ivy's) other appearances in the New 52. A lot of her popularity is probably because of the Joker, but Conner and Palmiotti are doing pretty good at making her actually funny.

Yeah i've heard people say it's a fun book but the concept of Harley Quinn sells ridiculously well regardless of quality. Even the whole controversy with the suicide stuff didn't slow it's launch sales.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah i've heard people say it's a fun book but the concept of Harley Quinn sells ridiculously well regardless of quality. Even the whole controversy with the suicide stuff didn't slow it's launch sales.

The controversy became a non-issue when the page was seen in context.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm surprised at how little noise there was when she was depicted as a mass child murderer in the villain month issue.

Edit: Which was from the upcoming Suicide Squad writer and not Palmiotti/Conner who's own light-hearted series was one or two months away. I'd have been a pretty devastated seeing that if I was them.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm surprised at how little noise there was when she was depicted as a mass child murderer in the villain month issue.

E: Which was from the upcoming Suicide Squad writer and not Palmiotti/Conner who's own light-hearted series was one or two months away. I'd have been a pretty devastated seeing that if I was them.

Not really, a lot of the complaints issued against her series stem from the villian's issue and how it doesn't mesh to have a goofy book centered around a mass child murderer.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Harley sells because she was a popular character on a popular nineties cartoon. That would keep her book afloat regardless of quality.

Why Joker's Daughter is doing well I have no idea. Her current character design is atrocious, and from what I've heard, she has nothing at all to do with her original origin, where she was just a goofy fan of the Titans who pretended to be associated with various Batman villains just to get closer to them. Which would be a fun character under a decent writer, but DC would rather double down on the shock of slasher-movie Joker than do something fun.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting from the Red Hood Thread because I don't know what the gently caress:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pfeifer got an interview about the book on CBR and while I love what he did and he sounds pretty excited for writing the book, I'm confused for this:

The way I see it: He doesn't know yet than he was replaced by Lobdell, Lobdell's a fill-in, DC booted Lobdell after the cover scandal

:psyduck:

Whatever it is, is a really lovely thing to do on editorial's part (unless I'm reading way too much obviously)

Is also worth nothing how he talks about Lobo and the big plans for him but doesn't say who Lobo is.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51578

EDIT: And the interviewer just posted this on the CBR Forums:

'Just an FYI to everyone: I spoke to Will on Monday after June solicits were up, and everything he said to me indicates that he is the regular writer in an ongoing sense. So I think it's safe to assume that the June issue is a fill-in unless we learn otherwise. I will double check with DC to be extra sure.'

:psyduck:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Since it was on sale (and I wasn't going to purchase terrible Justice League issues to read it) I finally read Johns/Frank's Shazam run and it's actually a lot better than I expected it to be.

Now there is some terrible (and racist) Johnsian Literalism and Gary Frank was not the right choice for the book but by the time it ends it leaves things with a build that I have no idea why DC haven't jumped on the perfect opportunity for a fun action book. The ending with Mr. Mind screams the perfect book for Manapul and Buccellato to jump on and do their thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Gary Frank was not the right choice for the book

Really? I loved the expressions he put on Captain Shazam's big dumb face.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edit: Which was from the upcoming Suicide Squad writer and not Palmiotti/Conner who's own light-hearted series was one or two months away. I'd have been a pretty devastated seeing that if I was them.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could've sworn there was a bunch of noise about that mass murder.

Also I guess I'll be unpopular and say I just don't see what people like about Harley Quinn (the book, not the character). I really liked Conner/Palmiotti's other work, but every time I see a page posted in the funny panels thread or other places on the other internet it just reeks of... I dunno, trying too hard? Bad jokes? Or maybe it's just that the New 52 has just hosed Harley up too much (see: child murder) that my brain can't reconcile a fun/wacky book featuring this character existing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

The faces were fun and appropriately goofy in places but I felt overall it made the tone too dark and I don't care for the cape design or the devil/combined sins that Shazam fights. When Billy became Shazam the book should have been a lot more colourful, bright and fun.

It also doesn't help that it gave me horrible flashbacks to Batman: Earth One.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TwoPair posted:

Also I guess I'll be unpopular and say I just don't see what people like about Harley Quinn (the book, not the character). I really liked Conner/Palmiotti's other work, but every time I see a page posted in the funny panels thread or other places on the other internet it just reeks of... I dunno, trying too hard? Bad jokes? Or maybe it's just that the New 52 has just hosed Harley up too much (see: child murder) that my brain can't reconcile a fun/wacky book featuring this character existing.
This is my general issue as well. The Suicide Squad stuff involving her just turned me off that entire series, when I was trying to give it a decent shot. She took Joker's torn off face, put it over a captive Deadshot and began talking to him like he was the Joker, ending with her making out with him while he was still wearing Joker's face. Yeah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new series has none of that. There's the odd moment of cartoon violence where she'll bazooka or behead one of the assassins that occasionally pop up since someone put a hit out on her, but mostly it's kinda sitcom-y with her managing an apartment building full of odd characters and joining a roller derby league and yadda yadda.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

This is my general issue as well. The Suicide Squad stuff involving her just turned me off that entire series, when I was trying to give it a decent shot. She took Joker's torn off face, put it over a captive Deadshot and began talking to him like he was the Joker, ending with her making out with him while he was still wearing Joker's face. Yeah.

Jesus Christ :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Harley, she will have a one shot centered around the San Diego Comic-con and a new war-themed comic will be released on July

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

a new war-themed comic will be released on July

Third time's the charm!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new series has none of that. There's the odd moment of cartoon violence where she'll bazooka or behead one of the assassins that occasionally pop up since someone put a hit out on her, but mostly it's kinda sitcom-y with her managing an apartment building full of odd characters and joining a roller derby league and yadda yadda.

Just like one of my Japanese animes!!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of Harley, she will have a one shot centered around the San Diego Comic-con and a new war-themed comic will be released on July

And marked for Cancellation within editorial by August

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought my friend was joking when he said DC was trying to turn Harley into their version of Deadpool. Going need to ask if he actually works for them now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Animal Man was kinda weak. I guess it's brave that they stuck to Cliff being dead (unless there's something to read into that spider), but it was really just a recap, sweet as Maxine telling it and Lemire's art was.

Honestly, I feel like Cliff dying is where the whole series soured for me and it never recovered. Lemire was making a valiant effort towards the end but it couldn't really shake the stilted, manufactured feeling that the narrative had taken on.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have him draw the Big Red Shazam pulling this face and we'll talk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Third time's the charm!
I'd love to know who keeps pushing for those--they never ever ever do well.

Orrrrrrrrr, Dan Didio is actually Garth Ennis. :aaaaa:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Know what doesn't sell! Comics with minority characters. Know what does sell! War comics!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/20664-new-flash-writers-wally-west-changes-not-surprise-for-the-sake-of-surprise.html

Interview with the Flash's new creative team with a lot of new info about Wally.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Wally West didn't start out as Barry's apprentice and then grow into the role after Barry's death, is it even still Wally? What, aside from pandering, is the point of Wally's inclusion if he's nothing at all like Wally West?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 25, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Everything about this interview just screams that he's black. Not a big deal or anything, I just find it funny that DC couldn't make Barry black.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

If Wally West didn't start out as Barry's mentor and then grow into the role after Barry's death, is it even still Wally? What, aside from pandering, is the point of Wally's inclusion if he's nothing at all like Wally West?

:raise:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ooops, I am an idiot. :blush:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

WickedHate posted:

If Wally West didn't start out as Barry's apprentice and then grow into the role after Barry's death, is it even still Wally? What, aside from pandering, is the point of Wally's inclusion if he's nothing at all like Wally West?

Nobody is anyone. You will fry your brain trying to link decades of continuity together.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You make it sound like everything DC has done since COIE is one big zen koan. What is the sound of one Donna Troy rebooting?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WickedHate posted:

My reading of that interview is that Wally is going to be brought in to become Barry's apprentice. Sure in the Pre-reboot DC, the vast majority of Wally's work as a character came after he took over the mantle of Flash. (Just like how the vast majority of Dick Grayson's character development happened after he became Nightwing.)
But you can't just introduce Wally and say "oh, he's now the Flash." The reason why it worked was he was a character who had been present for years as Kid Flash, had paid his dues and inherited the mantle.

But I do agree with E, that interview all but screams "Wally West is now black.". Presumably to line up with the new TV show.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

HitTheTargets posted:

You make it sound like everything DC has done since COIE is one big zen koan. What is the sound of one Donna Troy rebooting?

Absolute silence, until the universe asks "who's Donna Troy?"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

HitTheTargets posted:

I think you just wrote Grant Morrison's next book.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

And we answer "who cares?"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Madkal posted:

Know what doesn't sell! Comics with minority characters. Know what does sell! War comics!

When's it suppose to come out/what's it called?

I like war comics.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

KomradeX posted:

When's it suppose to come out/what's it called?

I like war comics.

I have a feeling that at least one editor at DC wishes Garth Ennis would return his calls.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Chaos Hippy posted:

DC already answered that one.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the creative team just had an idea for a black Kid Flash and asked whether they could call him Wally in order to keep [as many] nerds from pulling their hair out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

I believe they answered it multiple confusing and conflicting times.

• Locked thread