Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

There are plenty of dedicated Bitcoin ASICs, and some companies are at work creating scrypt miners, designed to be more difficult/expensive to design for, as you need more RAM the faster you mine (the way I understand it).

Nephilm posted:

Once the difficulty on litecoin or whatever flavor of the month is ramps up enough that only ASICs will cut it, people will switch to the next flavor of the month cryptocoin. There'll be no end to it until the fad itself dies.
I'm hoping the next trend will be for the card/motherboard manufacturers to make ASICs boards for the miners, leaving us to be able to actually buy GPUs for gaming etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

subx posted:

Can something really be a fad when it has such a small following? I guess I still don't get the whole cryptocoin thing, I guess I'm just :corsair:

I guess once they are specifically being marketed to and causing price hikes it doesn't matter how big they really are. Then again I've heard several times that manufacturing issues and supply are more the issue right now and in the recent past, however miners must be (or were, prices seem to be coming down) having an effect because why would people still be paying so far over MSRP otherwise for just typical gaming use. For example what would cause the 280x to increase so vastly in price over a gtx 770 as it had been, yet still selling out, if not for miners who see a distinct advantage in that architecture where as for any other use they function virtually the same. That was always the hole I saw in the theory that coin mining really wasn't the cause of the price hikes, but I can definitely see how that would exacerbate the problem.

Really I could be wrong here, that's as far as I thought about it since I like nvidia just fine.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nvidia's 750ti gets respectable hashrates for the cost/power consumption, much better than their previous cards, and they almost certainly will keep pushing their drivers/hardware to be capable cryptocoin miners. There's really no reason they wouldn't want more reason for people to buy their cards.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I broke down today and bought one of the new AMD 680s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150706 before it sells out. It should be between an nvidia 760 and 770.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Nephilm posted:

Once the difficulty on litecoin or whatever flavor of the month is ramps up enough that only ASICs will cut it, people will switch to the next flavor of the month cryptocoin. There'll be no end to it until the fad itself dies.

There are a couple coins based on scrypt-n (vertcoin for example) that are supposedly ASIC-proof. Then again that's what scrypt was supposed to be. Also Primecoin can only be mined on CPUs. But no one (even coin miners) gives a poo poo about that one.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Peechka posted:

So I broke down today and bought one of the new AMD 680s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150706 before it sells out. It should be between an nvidia 760 and 770.

It's not quite in between, in overall performance it's actually little lower than a GTX 760, with the obvious handful of AMD optimized games going the favor of the R9 280. For that price I'm not a fan of the card, you can get a nice factory overclocked GTX 760 for less and you're really close to a R9 280X/GTX 770 which would be a substantial improvement in performance for only a few bucks more, now that the R9 280X is showing up at MSRP on some retailers.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It's not quite in between, in overall performance it's actually little lower than a GTX 760, with the obvious handful of AMD optimized games going the favor of the R9 280. For that price I'm not a fan of the card, you can get a nice factory overclocked GTX 760 for less and you're really close to a R9 280X/GTX 770 which would be a substantial improvement in performance for only a few bucks more, now that the R9 280X is showing up at MSRP on some retailers.

Canncellll!!!!

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

ShaneB posted:

Nvidia's 750ti gets respectable hashrates for the cost/power consumption, much better than their previous cards, and they almost certainly will keep pushing their drivers/hardware to be capable cryptocoin miners. There's really no reason they wouldn't want more reason for people to buy their cards.

Actually, card manufacturers are affected because the cryptocoin community is known for flipping and burning through hardware and abusing the warranty system, and they don't get to see the profits of the greater-than-MSRP prices (that all goes to the retailers). AMD doesn't see increased profits either, and they suffer from something different: due to the cards being bought outside their target demographic, they're losing market penetration to Nvidia, which is a huge loving deal.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

Canncellll!!!!

Why? Even if this card is lovely like you say it is, Ill sell it on ebay in a week for $350 easy. 7950B was a crypto dream card.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Peechka posted:

Why? Even if this card is lovely like you say it is, Ill sell it on ebay in a week for $350 easy. 7950B was a crypto dream card.

I'm down for flipping dude. I just meant if you could cancel at no expense to you (preshipping) and get a better card for less money, why not.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I know I'm definitely going nVidia next time. I've had enough microstuttering.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

MondayHotDog posted:

I know I'm definitely going nVidia next time. I've had enough microstuttering.

Same. I just hope they up the VRAM amounts for the next batch. I'm looking at something around 770 level but I have no faith that the 2 gigs on that is going to stay competitive for long.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

CFox posted:

Same. I just hope they up the VRAM amounts for the next batch. I'm looking at something around 770 level but I have no faith that the 2 gigs on that is going to stay competitive for long.

For like $50 more you can get a 770 with 4GB if you're on the fence about just that fact. I'm getting the "dont hold your breath" vibe about higher end maxwell cards

Edit: Link since its surprisingly hard to find

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 18, 2014

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

For like $50 more you can get a 770 with 4GB if you're on the fence about just that fact. I'm getting the "dont hold your breath" vibe about higher end maxwell cards

Edit: Link since its surprisingly hard to find

Yea I do know about that but that extra 50 puts it firmly into the absurd range of money spent on a GPU for me. Really if nvidia made the 280x at the $300 price point that'd be pretty much perfect.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

CFox posted:

Yea I do know about that but that extra 50 puts it firmly into the absurd range of money spent on a GPU for me. Really if nvidia made the 280x at the $300 price point that'd be pretty much perfect.

Yeah, and the sad part is, they did. And now we've come full circle.

I just realized that AMD is probably finally cashing in on the price hikes by pricing the new 280 at $279. Since the 280x is technically $299 msrp.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 18, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you guys are gung-ho about 4GB ram, Evga's B-stock section of their site has refurbished 4GB cards for less money than new 2GB cards of the same models.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, I'm still using the tiny tubes of paste that came with my old water blocks. I think it's mx-2 or something. Honestly, thermal paste makes a total of 1-2 degrees difference in most cases.

:can:

From way back, but since I'm doing computer case shopping of my own and I found your case. I've elected to go with a stupid-expensive case of my own but instead with this one. I've got two 780tis that are going to use the closed-loop CPU coolers and this sort of design is very nice for that.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be joining your 3+ DIY liquid cooling setup soon, then around next year I'll have phase cooling and be calling the electrician to upgrade my line into my computer room :ohdear:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Don't mind this post, I just want to check my last post in this thread and I don't have search.

e: turns out I never posted what I thought I did.

e2: vvvv oooh nice tip. Thanks!

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 19, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Neat forums tip: You can grab your User ID from your profile URI and plug it in instead of anyone else's when you're looking at a thread in one-user mode. That way you don't have to make a post to find your own! :eng101:

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Has anybody used Shadowplay to stream on Twitch?

If so, how exactly do you use it? I log in through Shadowplay but Twitch shows I'm offline.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ZergFluid posted:

Has anybody used Shadowplay to stream on Twitch?

If so, how exactly do you use it? I log in through Shadowplay but Twitch shows I'm offline.

It's supposed to be way better to use the freeware Open Broadcaster, go into the settings, and enable "Nvenc", that will use the Nvidia shadowplay hardware fpr performance but Opeb Broadcaster does a better job with protocols and can stream in windowed mode whereas Shadowplay needs full screen. I have a friend who twitch streams DayZ on his GTX 660 all day and that's what he does.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The Thief Mantle patch has been out for 2 days now and I gave it a shot. It's pretty underwhelming I suppose? Maybe I can try turning Crossfire back on, but I've been getting comparable performance with regular D3D mode.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have a 290x. Can i buy a lesser card like 280/270 and put it in crossfire? Or is it too little gain?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Michael Jackson posted:

I have a 290x. Can i buy a lesser card like 280/270 and put it in crossfire? Or is it too little gain?

Won't work. Has to be the same GPU. 290x can only Crossfire with another 290x.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there any hope for major price drops in near future?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Jan posted:

The Thief Mantle patch has been out for 2 days now and I gave it a shot. It's pretty underwhelming I suppose? Maybe I can try turning Crossfire back on, but I've been getting comparable performance with regular D3D mode.

I heard mantle works better the shittier your processor is. So if you have the latest i5 or i7 mantle wont be doing much for you. But if you have an i3 or some god forsaken AMD CPU, it will give you great results since its intended to work better with CPU bound systems.

http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Mantle-vs-DirectX-Benchmarks-with-Battlefield-4-and-Star-Swarm/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MondayHotDog posted:

Pretty sure it can crossfire with a 290, but it'd give you 2x290 performance iirc

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Well, 290x is good enough really.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

290X is excellent for quiet gaming at 1080p if you frame limit to 60fps :v:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

deimos posted:

290X is excellent for quiet gaming at 1080p if you frame limit to 60fps :v:

Argh i have 1440! I cant have uber gaming :negative:

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Thats the one thing stopping me from going to 1440p or even 3 screens like I would love to have. You are pretty much forced into $600-$2K spent on graphics cards. I refuse to spend anymore than $300-$350 for a GPU.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The 290X can run 1440p like a champ guys, I was being facetious.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
tbh my experience with 290x and 1440p shows that it is adequate. Now, i only play DCS-A10 and roguelikes, so YMMV. (Dark Souls!)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just for the record, I'm only registering usage on a single 290x when playing Titanfall and the game is smooth as hell at max settings on 3 screens. Yay for source engine games.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Just for the record, I'm only registering usage on a single 290x when playing Titanfall and the game is smooth as hell at max settings on 3 screens. Yay for source engine games.

I feel like Titanfall actually runs kind of lovely for the engine and the visual quality that isn't quite up there with other recent games.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I feel like Titanfall actually runs kind of lovely for the engine and the visual quality that isn't quite up there with other recent games.

Pretty typical for a port isnt it? Even if it is a "next gen" console port, its still early on. I've been on the fence about getting it though just because it sounds like people have fun playing it. The graphics seem good enough to be honest, but I've never heard anyone touting how good it looks so I just kind of assumed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is it really a port? I thought PC was the primary development platform.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Don Lapre posted:

Is it really a port? I thought PC was the primary development platform.

No, development started for 360 and PS3 then switched to emphasis on xbone after the exclusivity deal with microsoft. PC version is a 50GB port.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nephilm posted:

No, development started for 360 and PS3 then switched to emphasis on xbone after the exclusivity deal with microsoft. PC version is a 50GB port.

It should really run a lot better than 792p on the non-port system, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Nephilm posted:

They actually decided to go with the Source engine because of its advantages on the PS3, but then EA brokered an exclusivity deal with Microsoft and they ended up getting stuck with an engine that's probably sub-optimal for the platforms they did release on.