Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erasable Penis
Aug 7, 2013
It's probably in your clipboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tivac posted:

Correct! Windows 7 on my desktop.

Just updated laptop (running 8.1) though & it still looks white to me. Try safe mode maybe?

White?? It should look a kind of faded blue colour for you. On Windows 8.1 now it seems to match the background colour in Windows Explorer.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Mathician posted:

It's probably in your clipboard.

Nope. Just checked.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

It "downloads" the screenshot to my default download location, the green download arrow even pulses like it does when a file has finished downloading.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Grim Up North posted:

It "downloads" the screenshot to my default download location, the green download arrow even pulses like it does when a file has finished downloading.

Oh man there they are! Thanks buddy. I didn't see the green arrow flash because I use the all-in-one sidebar extension and it hides the arrow. I updated their wiki.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Is there any word as to when Firefox's dev tools will provide proper box-model highlighting?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Can someone tell me which setting causes this?

On my old Firefox profile, which I've had since (I think) the days of Firefox 3. My tabs and toolbars pick up their colour from the Windows theme, which I rather like. I do not have any custom themes or personas installed and the Firefox window changes colour with the Windows 8 colour scheme.

On my new Firefox profile, the tabs are grey, only the very background picks up my windows colour settings.

This is what my old profile looks like compared to the new one:

vs

I'd love to get that setting back. It's the only thing stopping me from actually running on a freshly reset profile.

So this post is 14 months old and I finally figured it out sort of.

Just needed to copy over userchrome.css. Some setting in there makes it work, not sure which one. Would be handy to know as there seems to be a lot of crap in there. I uploaded it here if anyone can be arsed to take a look.

For now though, finally running on a fresh profile, at long bloody last!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

So this post is 14 months old and I finally figured it out sort of.

Just needed to copy over userchrome.css. Some setting in there makes it work, not sure which one. Would be handy to know as there seems to be a lot of crap in there. I uploaded it here if anyone can be arsed to take a look.

For now though, finally running on a fresh profile, at long bloody last!

Just out of curiosity - when you made a new profile, did you notice much of a performance/stability increase?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
How do you get the firefox button on the navigation bar?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just out of curiosity - when you made a new profile, did you notice much of a performance/stability increase?

Ask me again in a couple of days. My firefox would usually take that long before it would grind to a halt and refuse to open tabs and refuse to exit (though existing tabs would work fine). Hopefully this would sort it now.

Riso posted:

How do you get the firefox button on the navigation bar?

Install the "UI Fixer" addon. It also gives you back a proper title bar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/03/14/metro/

Goodbye, Firefox metro.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

This is a loss for the handful of people with Surfaces if it ran on RT, which I'm not too sure it did. But yeah it's clear Metro isn't going anywhere besides away.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Milkman posted:

This is a loss for the handful of people with Surfaces if it ran on RT, which I'm not too sure it did. But yeah it's clear Metro isn't going anywhere besides away.

They never got it running on arm, so yeah no loss.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does that mean the full screen tablet mode for Win8 is gone in FF28?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Is there a way I can save my exact Firefox configuration so that my bookmarks, button layouts/addons, and everything is saved to my account or something? I hate trying to make the browsers 'match' by going off memory.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

johnny sack posted:

Is there a way I can save my exact Firefox configuration so that my bookmarks, button layouts/addons, and everything is saved to my account or something? I hate trying to make the browsers 'match' by going off memory.

On different machines?

You can just copy your Firefox profile folder across, and I'll be identical in all respects. Do that as a one off, then use sync to maintain everything.

The location of that folder depends on what platform you're on, google it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah careful with using sync to try to set up a new install, if you're not careful it likes to overwrite the settings of your old machine with the default settings from your new one. I don't know how it decides which setting gets precedence but you would think it wouldn't assume the settings on the new machine you just joined are the ones that need to get uploaded to the cloud. That option to replace all settings on the new device with the sync settings really should be the default whenever you pair something new. Maybe it is now, I haven't tried for a while.

Also syncing of add-ons has never worked for me, ever. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Lum posted:

Install the "UI Fixer" addon. It also gives you back a proper title bar.

That's a very nice addon.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Knormal posted:

Yeah careful with using sync to try to set up a new install, if you're not careful it likes to overwrite the settings of your old machine with the default settings from your new one. I don't know how it decides which setting gets precedence but you would think it wouldn't assume the settings on the new machine you just joined are the ones that need to get uploaded to the cloud. That option to replace all settings on the new device with the sync settings really should be the default whenever you pair something new. Maybe it is now, I haven't tried for a while.

Also syncing of add-ons has never worked for me, ever. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Most extensions don't support Sync.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

wooger posted:

On different machines?

You can just copy your Firefox profile folder across, and I'll be identical in all respects. Do that as a one off, then use sync to maintain everything.

The location of that folder depends on what platform you're on, google it.

Yea different machines, work and home, for example. I didn't know about the profiles folder, thanks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

johnny sack posted:

I use Dropbox to sync my profile folder between computers. I don't recommend running Firefox and having it use a profile located in your Dropbox folder, all sorts of bad poo poo will happen if you open it up in two places at once. I just manually copy it in and out, overwriting the stock profile folder location when I want to match things up. (Actually, I have 2 .bat files that do it for me but it amounts to the same thing.)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

johnny sack posted:

Yea different machines, work and home, for example. I didn't know about the profiles folder, thanks.

Go to the Help menu>Troubleshooting Information. In the tab that opens, there's a button you can click to open the profile folder directly.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What's the best way to sync FF to iOS?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The Milkman posted:

iCab Mobile works with FF Sync but it will probably stop working when the new Sync comes. Also you can't set it as your default browser and you can't export your data to Safari.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can't set your default anything on iOS, so that's not really a strike against it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

pseudorandom name posted:

You can't set your default anything on iOS, so that's not really a strike against it.

I never said it was, just that it may not be very practical to use another browser.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Milkman posted:

What platform do you run Firefox on? As I recall the iCloud syncing app that comes with iTunes for Windows will let you sync bookmarks to IE at least, and from there its possible to get them to/from Firefox.

Failing that, is there a cross platform bookmark syncer extension that works with safari? I used to use Xmarks between Chrome and Firefox.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is there a way to adjust the width of the scrollbars in Firefox? Is there a userchrome modification or something you can make?

I Google'd, and it seems like most of the references are for much, much older versions of Firefox. Like 3.x old or older.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

wooger posted:

What platform do you run Firefox on? As I recall the iCloud syncing app that comes with iTunes for Windows will let you sync bookmarks to IE at least, and from there its possible to get them to/from Firefox.

Failing that, is there a cross platform bookmark syncer extension that works with safari? I used to use Xmarks between Chrome and Firefox.

Xmarks works with safari and also has a iOS app.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
If you're on OS X, BookMacster will sync your bookmarks between Firefox and Safari and kick off Safari's iCloud syncing. It's how I keep my Firefox and iOS bookmarks in sync.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

crestfallen posted:

Is there a way to adjust the width of the scrollbars in Firefox? Is there a userchrome modification or something you can make?

I Google'd, and it seems like most of the references are for much, much older versions of Firefox. Like 3.x old or older.
I think that's controlled by the theme. The only way to customize it would be to tweak the files inside a theme package, and it might not be possible at all with the default theme

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

crestfallen posted:

Is there any particular reason you only want to change the scrollbars in Firefox and not in the rest of your applications? If there isn't, then you can just do:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization, then click Window Color, then click Advanced Appearance Settings... and you can change the "scrollbar" item between 8 and 100.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Nebulon Gate posted:

Is there any word as to when Firefox's dev tools will provide proper box-model highlighting?

This has finally been implemented. Good bye Firebug.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Beta 29 is out, Australis-powered. Feels snappy and nice.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sergeant Rock posted:

Beta 29 is out, Australis-powered. Feels snappy and nice.

I like it a lot so far on OSX, but I still prefer the old menu system and tab appearance on Windows. Still, works great so far, and the nice thing about Firefox is the customization options that should be available if something really rubs me the wrong way.

On the plus side, I prefer adding the add-on icons that are most valuable to me on the primary bar rather than a seperate one for add ons at the bottom. I think this will be great overall once I acclimate myself to a few differences and the overall new look.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 21, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Ask me again in a couple of days. My firefox would usually take that long before it would grind to a halt and refuse to open tabs and refuse to exit (though existing tabs would work fine). Hopefully this would sort it now.

Nope, still grinds to a halt after a couple of days, e.g. single digit FPS in even SD youtube videos.

At least File -> Exit actually does something when it reaches that state, so an improvement but not much of one.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

They loving put the bookmark button where the back button was, this is loving me up so much right now. This update is goddawful.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

They loving put the bookmark button where the back button was, this is loving me up so much right now. This update is goddawful.

No they didn't. Something is wrong with your profile. Back up your current profile and create a new one.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No they didn't. Something is wrong with your profile. Back up your current profile and create a new one.

The back button was all the way on the left, and in the update they moved it onto the address bar and put the bookmark all the way on the left. I just downgraded back to 28, this update is just awful.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

The back button was all the way on the left, and in the update they moved it onto the address bar and put the bookmark all the way on the left. I just downgraded back to 28, this update is just awful.

Can you show a screenshot of what you're seeing?